self-feeding/baby-led weaning support thread... - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#571 of 581 Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
I'll join this thread! DD is 6 months old, and we are starting BLW now. I'm really keen on it, but do have some worries.

DD has had weight issues (slow weight gain, and we're supplementing with donated breastmilk in an SNS). Therefore our Well Baby providers (Plunket) have been pushing for an early start on solids. I wanted to wait at least until 6 months, as that is what Plunket and Ministry of Health generally recommends anyway. Our Plunket people are a bit concerned that BLW will mean DD is actually eating less solids, again a weight worry. Also, they want all babies to have a lot of solids from 6 months, due to the iron. Several of my friends have been in trouble for that. Our Plunket people are really nice, and have supported me while I fought for breastfeeding, so I don't really want to argue with them.

A bigger issue, however, is that we are getting less donated breastmilk (a friend's child is weaning, so we will soon be down to one donor. Solids would of course be useful to replace that, although we are using less donated breastmilk now than we used to.

I am also worried about choking, with any sort of solids, I guess.

I would think if there are weight issues, you would not want to force early solids. breastmilk and/or formula are much more calorie dense than any solid food and a baby would gain more weight on those than on solids. I can understand the iron issue, but once you start iron fortified foods, it makes a baby less able to absorb the iron in breastmilk as well as before.
#572 of 581 Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 AM

Hey all I'll join this thread too!

DD is six months and not all that interested in the solids I have offered her so far (avocado, brocolli..) so we are waiting a couple more weeks then I'm going to offer again.

I love the idea of BLW. It makes so much sense to me.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#573 of 581 Old 09-03-2008, 03:59 AM

I think this is one of those threads that took off grand and slowed down. I think I missed it's hey day.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#574 of 581 Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM

DD1 (who is now 5) is the one who taught me about BLW i got all geared up to make wholesome, homemade pureed babyfood when she was 6 months, and she wanted nothing to do with it! and while she was interested in food starting at like 4 months (in terms of grabbing my plate, etc), giving her a spoon and a bowl and a sippy cup with water in it to play with at the table was all she really wanted. she really didn't eat any measurable volume of food until she was at least 8 months old. and even then, it wasn't nearly the amount that other kids her age who were spoon fed ate. But since she was in like 90th percentile for height and weight, i wasn't too worried

DS (now 3) was the same way, and i just followed his lead. I plan to do the same thing with my DD2 who is now 4 months.

I am super anal, though, about what i introduce and doing it for 3 or 4 days before intro-ing something else because we have major food allergies on both sides of the family. My dad is deathly allergic to most kinds of fish, my brother is allergic to peanuts and sensitive to dairy and other foods, and two of our nieces on DH's side have some food allergies/sensitivities too. So i don't do eggs or dairy or wheat until 12 months and wait on nuts and seafood until 2.

Family does annoy me about it sometimes, though. MIL in particular is just a lunatic. She was so mad at me for not letting DD1 eat mashed potatoes (with butter and cream in them) at Thanksgiving when she was not even 6 months old! thankfully we live about 7 hours away from her so we don't have to deal with it too much!
#575 of 581 Old 09-03-2008, 05:30 PM

I'm ever so glad to see this. I've gotten through about 12 pages by now and am feeling FAR more confident about what and how to feed DD. She's been demanding food, by the use of the grabbing and her token word to consume: "AH!" and I've been sort of here and there with how to feed her. We have tried chopped up banana and avocado, but those result in frustration for her as they're too small, I think. So, I've mashed them up a bit and then she gets mad that the spoon isn't a constant source of food (like a bottle or boob) and screams in frustration. So next try will be bigger bits of food for her to pick up and attempt to eat. I like the french fry analogy. For meat, did you folks feed your babies a thicker french fry of beef (or chicken/turkey?) and did you start that as early as 6, 7, or 8 months?

Incidentally we did discover, this past weekend, that seedless watermelon is both a great teether and wonderful texture/carving toy. Messy fun for hours!

signature currently in transition
#576 of 581 Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 PM

How does it work as a teether? My wee'un is teething and having troubles, poor sod.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#577 of 581 Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
So next try will be bigger bits of food for her to pick up and attempt to eat. I like the french fry analogy. For meat, did you folks feed your babies a thicker french fry of beef (or chicken/turkey?) and did you start that as early as 6, 7, or 8 months?
Gill Rapley's recommendation is chip (chunky fry) shape for veges, but a chunk - sized about like baby's fist - of meat.
#578 of 581 Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Yeah, we did sticks first. Veggies into sticks. Meats in the way that the grain ran the long way of the stick, so he couldn't really break off a piece and choke on it. At that point he was just getting the flavors, and getting the hang of holding onto them.

WHen he got his pincer grasp, we switched to dicing everything up small. That is when he suddenly got a huge apetite. That really confirmed for me what I read about blw: that their coordination develops at the same pace as their digestive system.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#579 of 581 Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
Gill Rapley's recommendation is chip (chunky fry) shape for veges, but a chunk - sized about like baby's fist - of meat.
Oh thanks! I was wondering about that.

Well I think DD has finally ingested something - a bit of my peach that she yoinked. Does it seem that new foods make defecating a little more work for the baby? Today she was struggling to go and she usually doesn't have that problem, just a grunt and then a smile (which is almost a mocking- now you gotta change me smirk, really )

signature currently in transition
#580 of 581 Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 PM

DD actually swallowed some banana today! Was so very cute. Everytime she swallowed a little bit she looked at me and gave me a huge smile!

I gave her the whole thing with the skin peeled halfway down, then cut the peeled skin off with scissors so she could hold onto it easily. But then she dropped it and wanted it back, but I obviuosly didnt get it back to her quickly enough so she got frustrated and the more frustrated she became, the harder for her to grip it. So I ended up holding it in front of her and she would lean forward and take a little nibble, swish it around, swallow, then smile!

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#581 of 581 Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Hi Mamas,
I thought I'd start a fresh new thread for those of us doing BLW now. This thread is an oldie but a goodie, and a teeny bit intimidating to those of us just getting started. Please come join me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page