self-feeding/baby-led weaning support thread... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4  5  13  ... Last
Life With a Baby > self-feeding/baby-led weaning support thread...
acp's Avatar acp 01:57 PM 12-17-2007
Well, DD is now 6 months, and she's started occasionally eating - as opposed to tasting/sucking/licking/feeling - the food I give her. Not all the time, but she's definitely ingested significant (still pretty tiny) amounts of banana, sweet potato, avocado, and guacamole. It does make me a bit sad, even though I think it will be a long time before it actually affects her nursing or before she eats significant amounts of solids.
We stopped giving them to her a few days ago, though, because her pooping has gotten so out of control - for several days now she's been pooping 7-8 times a day, sometimes diarrhea-like, sometimes green. She's always been a big pooper, but this is crazy even for her, and I can't help but think that the solids have something to do with it. We haven't been that great about separating out individual foods and only giving her one food at a time for 5 days, etc, since I haven't been too worried about allergies. My first thought was that it might have somethign to do with the fact that DH gave her a tangerine slice to suck on Thursday (I was away on a work trip, and he called to tell me how much she was enjoying it - I guess I need to go over with him again the food we're avoiding - like CITRUS - for at least a few months...).
But who knows. It's now four days later and she's still a poop machine.

Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 02:32 PM 12-17-2007
My DS was a mega pooper for a bit shortly after I introduced solids. I figured he was just getting his intestines up and running. He never seemed to be in distress, but the diapers were definitely getting hard to deal with. He evened out and now has pretty regular solid poops. They are more like peanut butter some days and more like formed adult poop on other days. (Those are the best btw. They just roll right off the dipe into the toilet)

I do have a question though"

DS is getting better at grabbing food and actually getting it into his mouth, but for the last day or two, cannot tolerate sitting in his high chair next to me while I am eating. I usually give him a few pieces of whatever I am eating so he can feed himself, but he screams and lunges for my plate and swipes the pieces in front of him away. If I give him a piece and "feed" it to him, he is happy as a clam. I really want him to feed himself, and he was starting to get the hang of it. It is almost like a strike against self feeding. He just wants to be on mama's lap and have mama feed him. Gah.... Any ideas? The screaming is so hard to take. I also don't want meal times to become battles.
MotheringHeart's Avatar MotheringHeart 02:51 PM 12-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
DS is getting better at grabbing food and actually getting it into his mouth, but for the last day or two, cannot tolerate sitting in his high chair next to me while I am eating. I usually give him a few pieces of whatever I am eating so he can feed himself, but he screams and lunges for my plate and swipes the pieces in front of him away. If I give him a piece and "feed" it to him, he is happy as a clam. I really want him to feed himself, and he was starting to get the hang of it. It is almost like a strike against self feeding. He just wants to be on mama's lap and have mama feed him. Gah.... Any ideas? The screaming is so hard to take. I also don't want meal times to become battles.

This is my DD to a T. She WILL NOT sit in the high chair and play with/eat food. When I get out the food grinder she is beside herself with excitement and falls on the spoon when I offer it to her with food on it. So I just let her sit in my lap and eat off the spoon. I am very careful to watch her cues and when she turns her head or doesn't open her mouth, I don't put food in. I went through this with my others and they all got to a point where they wanted to do it themselves. I believe that if a babe is wanting solids (after the appropriate age and developmental milestones have been reached) then you should give it to them, even if you are feeding them with a spoon. (Don't flame me if you don't agree, it works for us....) We also only feed our kids table food and what we eat.
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 03:42 PM 12-17-2007
This is pretty much what I end up doing. I don't even grind his though. I just give him whatever I eat that I think he can handle with mashing it with his gums. He wants/needs to be on my lap, and will bat at food, but if I hold a piece in front of his face, he lunges for it. I think it is still BLW, as I would never use any "tricks" to get food into him. I am also trying hard to not give him any bites unless he "asks" for it either by vocalizing or by reaching, or by opening his mouth and stretching his neck toward my plate.
spmamma's Avatar spmamma 05:02 PM 12-17-2007
Well, Charlotte tried her first solid food last night: avocado. : It's funny, because normally the first thing she does when she grabs anything is put it in her mouth. Last night, though, I placed some mashed up avocado on her high chair tray and she mushed it up in her fingers but way reluctant at first to taste it. I put a bit on my finger and brought it near her mouth but she didn't want to eat it. So, I just let her squish it up for a while and eventually she put some in her mouth! It was the cutest thing!!!

I also tried giving her a wedge with the skin on (for better gripping) but I think it was too slippery for her to hold up. Perhaps other foods will do better with wedges.

Anyway, here's a photo of Our little avocado girl/.
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 08:20 PM 12-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubelle View Post
When self feding and following a baby led solids/weaning approach is here such a thing is offering too much food?
If we and daycare are just jutting the food in front of her and letting her eat what she wants and stop when she is ready will she eat to much, will she wean early?
I really don't believe self-feeding will lead to earlier weaning IF baby is able to nurse on demand (at least half the day, like you describe - morning, evening, night), and milk is offered BEFORE solids, at least most of the time.

I know my brother weaned early (8mo) because my mom started offering him food first (although I don't believe she was doing baby-led feeding), and then one day forgot to nurse him after he ate. But if they get milk FIRST, and they get to choose whether, more or less when, and how much to eat, then I don't believe it's a worry. Some babies will end up making food a larger chunk of their diet earlier, some will eat very little, but those are normal individual variations, and don't necessarily indicate the overall length of the nursing relationship. As long as milk is the primary food for at least the first year, I don't think we need to worry about it, and certainly not any more because our babies are eating real food they feed themselves.

And on the feeding themselves note, I do believe eating from a parent's hand can still fit in with this philosophy on food. Sure, it's neat to watch a baby feed hirself a heel of french bread, or whatever, but some babies prefer the comfort of a parent's lap, and the reassurance of being fed, just like some prefer small bits of food, or mashed food, or only cold foods, or only hot... These are all just normal individual variations, it seems to me.
acp's Avatar acp 08:56 PM 12-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
It's funny, because normally the first thing she does when she grabs anything is put it in her mouth. Last night, though, I placed some mashed up avocado on her high chair tray and she mushed it up in her fingers but way reluctant at first to taste it.
So funny - we had the same experience with DD the first time we started offering her solids. DH and I were wondering what was going on that, for what seemed like the first time ever, she had something in her hand and didn't put it in her mouth! Instead, with broccoli and carrots and banana and really all the foods she tried first, she'd look at them, pick them up, sniff them, make a face, and then grab her bowl or sippy cup or some other non-edible item and chew on that instead. She has since managed to actually put some foods in her mouth and swallow them, but it took a while... and she's still more hesitant to put anything edible in her mouth than she is to put any NON-edible thing there (paper is a particular favorite).

Love the avocado pics! Looks a lot like DD's first experience with avocado. I joked that it was really finger painting more than eating...
Magali's Avatar Magali 11:46 PM 12-17-2007
For the past couple weeks I have been giving ds pretty much any soft veggie that I am eating, or banana. I think it is so amazing watching him develop. At first he could barely pick up slippery pieces of banana, but now he is pro! It's amazing how he is actually chewing his food and thinking about it. I love allowing him to explore and make a mess. I'm not feeding him solids everyday because like pp's have mentioned, it's really more for exploration right now.
sprouthead's Avatar sprouthead 06:19 PM 12-18-2007
what cues did everyone look for when deciding their baby was ready to start this? ds is reaching for food and putting everything in his mouth, & starting to sit unassissted.. i always thought unassisted sitting would be my cue, but i thought he would start later! he's seven months old chronological, but 4 months (almost five) adjusted.. this seems so early, but thinking along the lines of "trust your baby" - i might as well just see what he does, right? he shouldn't eat more than he's ready..

can someone explain what "chip shaped" is? like a potato chip or a chocolate chip?

also, what are some good ideas for first foods? i always wanted to start w/ veggies- especially greens.. is that still a good idea for this type of feeding?
puddle's Avatar puddle 06:31 PM 12-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
can someone explain what "chip shaped" is? like a potato chip or a chocolate chip?
this threw me for awhile too--i'm such a silly american--i believe they mean chip in the british sense. french fry shapes!
acp's Avatar acp 06:39 PM 12-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
what cues did everyone look for when deciding their baby was ready to start this? ds is reaching for food and putting everything in his mouth, & starting to sit unassissted.. i always thought unassisted sitting would be my cue, but i thought he would start later! he's seven months old chronological, but 4 months (almost five) adjusted.. this seems so early, but thinking along the lines of "trust your baby" - i might as well just see what he does, right? he shouldn't eat more than he's ready..

also, what are some good ideas for first foods? i always wanted to start w/ veggies- especially greens.. is that still a good idea for this type of feeding?
Yep - french-fry shaped. . It threw me too the first time I read it.
I'm hardly an expert, but the foods I've heard suggested (many of which I've now tried with DD) are: banana, avocado, sweet potato, carrots, squash, pear, apple (she mostly just sucks on the juice since she doesn't have teeth), broccoli, peas, green beans.
As for readiness – I assumed we'd wait until DD was 6 months, but we actually ended up starting when she was just shy of 5 1/2 months. She was also a really early sitter - she started sitting totally unassisted at 4 months - and she started showing a LOT of interest in the food we were eating, trying to grab it off our plates, etc. I decided it didn't hurt to let her start playing with it, especially since we weren't actually forcing her to *eat* any food - just giving it to her to play with and taste and maybe end up eating a morsel here and there...
wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 07:37 PM 12-18-2007
subbing- we did this with dd1 and had a blast, and now it's time for dd2 to play with her food!

With avocado we used to cut it in half (twisting around the pit so you've got two pieces that look more or less the same) and then remove only a tiny sliver of the peel around the edge. Both girls have been able to hold this and sort of scoop out the juicy middle.
sprouthead's Avatar sprouthead 04:30 PM 12-19-2007
thanks ladies! in my head i was thinking that a french fry shape would probably be the safest, but i didn't connect that with a "chip"!

i think we'll try some green beans at christmas dinner and see what happens!
mamamirranda's Avatar mamamirranda 05:39 PM 12-19-2007
My Ds is 10.5 months old now. We started blw with avocado and banana at 6 months. He really took to it,and has eaten so much since those first few weeks. I was getting really confident in my sons mad eating skills. Well now. . . He seems to gag and choke on everything now. Rarr! It freaks me out and now I find myself cutting up his food. He loves picking up the little pieces. It seems that since he got 6 teeth he bites off more than he can chew. I don't think that cutting his food is the same as spoon feeding, however, it is still less about him exploring the food the way it comes. Well not sure what to do there because I am not sure how many more heart attacks I can have before I finally keel over.

Oh he is figuring out how to spoon feed himself. I find that applesauce and Yogurt sticks pretty well to the bottom of the bowl so he can tip it without making a huge mess while he figures out how to refill his spoon.

Well thats the intro...hope everyone's holidays are going well.
Anandamama's Avatar Anandamama 02:00 AM 12-20-2007
[Anyway, here's a photo of Our little avocado girl/. [/QUOTE]

Mmm... I'm trying to figure out how to put a quote in a box.. Adorable pic of avocado baby! But seeing her plastic bib made me wonder what all you mamas think about plastic bibs, especially since letting a baby self-feed is so messy. They seem great and practical, but I'm pretty sure most (if not all) are made of PVC. Do you think it's safe? We were given two very cute plastic bibs, but I haven't used them and don't think I will.
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 02:08 AM 12-20-2007
There are non-PVC plastic bibs available, and you can also use fabric bibs. We actually have one of each, both with pockets, although we only use them occasionally. I wouldn't use a PVC bib, or an unknown plastic bib, but that's just my comfort level.
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 02:09 AM 12-20-2007
Naked Baby LOVES green beans! Lightly steamed (or microwaved , they're a great food for babies. We usually serve sprayed with a little olive oil and some ground rosemary.

ETA, because otherwise I'm going to have half a dozen posts in a row :

Beans are really great for the practicing-pincer-grip stage. Black beans are apparently one of the best foods known to baby-kind around here (right up there with sweet potato fries, just below turkey legs ). There's nothing wrong with offering kids, especially those working on the pincer, little bits of food (like beans), I just think it's wrong to START with those, based on the idea that it's "safer". But some kids like little pieces better, and that's fine. Naked Baby likes both (big sticks of green beans or sweet potato, little pieces of beans or chopped veggies), which makes it easy on us, especially when we want Mexican!

Oh, and on that note - this child doesn't like avocado. Or guacamole. But he does like raw tomato. Whose child is this??? (I'm an avocado fiend, and have only recently learned to tolerate tomato.)
Magali's Avatar Magali 11:14 AM 12-23-2007
I started by giving ds a fry shaped piece of banana. He bit off a huge piece and gagged on it. I freaked out. That was a couple weeks ago and now I give him tiny pieces of food that I feel more comfortable with. It works just fine. He picks up the pieces and pops them in his mouth and sucks on them and gums them and then eventually swallows them. I was feeling quite happy about how we are doing things. But now I'm reading that cutting up the food is just the same as if I am mashing and spoon-feeding. But I will have a heart attack if I give him anything big enough that in my mind he could choke on. Maybe later on I will try giving him bigger pieces for him to bite off but for now I can't do it. Is this really so bad? Does anyone else feel the same way?
babyluvr's Avatar babyluvr 01:34 PM 12-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
But now I'm reading that cutting up the food is just the same as if I am mashing and spoon-feeding. But I will have a heart attack if I give him anything big enough that in my mind he could choke on. Maybe later on I will try giving him bigger pieces for him to bite off but for now I can't do it. Is this really so bad? Does anyone else feel the same way?

i'm not sure why cutting up food would be considered the same as mashing and spoon feeding....where did you read that? i usually give my ds the 'chip shape' and he does fine, but plenty of his favorite foods (peas, beans) are the small 'cut up' size (even without me having cut them). whether it's big chip shapes or little pieces, he feeds himself only as much as he wants of the thing. what's the difference between a crouton and crust of the same bread in the hands of your babe?!?!
Magali's Avatar Magali 03:18 PM 12-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyluvr View Post
i'm not sure why cutting up food would be considered the same as mashing and spoon feeding....where did you read that? i usually give my ds the 'chip shape' and he does fine, but plenty of his favorite foods (peas, beans) are the small 'cut up' size (even without me having cut them). whether it's big chip shapes or little pieces, he feeds himself only as much as he wants of the thing. what's the difference between a crouton and crust of the same bread in the hands of your babe?!?!
Well.....when I came across the cutting=mashing thing, it was my 5am MCD run....so I could have read it wrong.
I guess I just need reassurance (and that's why I love all you mama's!). I know that I should go with what works for my and ds, but I tend to stress over things...hence dh's nickname for me....Stressy Stresserson.
iris777888's Avatar iris777888 03:39 PM 12-23-2007
According to the wikipedia article, the reason not to cut things up is just that is that it makes it harder for baby to handle. When we were starting we went more towards giving him big/whole pieces of things rather than cut them up. That way he didn't get more than he could gum or scrape off with his teeth (once he got some). Of course now he can handle small things pretty easily, likes to pick up single grains of rice and eat them one at a time. :

Also wondering, how many times the babes are really choking as opposed to the gagging that they do naturally. If you wait a second before panicking, you'll find babe has a natural reflex that pushes the food back out. Its alarming at first, but totally normal. From what I read on other forums, some babes do it a lot more than others. Our son has only done that once or twice I can think of, but I remember reading on the babyledweaning.com site (left hand menu, That Gagging Thing) that some were doing it MUCH more often.
sprouthead's Avatar sprouthead 03:54 PM 12-23-2007
so we officially tried apples.. he just mouthed it, sucked out some juice, and threw it on the floor.. i'm wondering what people think of raw vs cooked veggies? when you give broccoli, do you give the florets or just stalk?

also, what do people have against spoon feeding?
wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 05:21 PM 12-23-2007
I usually steam veggies if dd2 will be trying them, but not always. Sometimes it's just however we're having that particular item as a family...so for example, last night we all had baked sweet potato spears (cut into wedges, toss in olive oil and salt, bake at about 425 till the edges are brown/crunchy. mmmmmmmm). With broccoli dd1 loved holding the stem and chewing on the florets. DD2 hasn't tried broccoli yet but we'll probably do the same with her.

Spoon feeding- short answer, nothing is wrong with utensils. We've always encouraged dd to use utensils. But if you are loading the spoon, and putting it in your baby's mouth, then you are essentially "running the show". Sort of like giving your little one paints but holding the brush for them to make sure they use the "right" color in the "right" place. You're not letting them explore on their own. Solids during the first year should be about exploring different smells, tastes, textures, temperatures, combinations, etc instead of "calorie/nutrition" and spoon feeding sort of cuts out a lot of that exploration. Also, some people feel that spoon feeding can throw off baby's ability to regulate their intake (baby wants to please you so they eat more, or you are distracting them from their bodily sensations by having them focus on you instead of letting them relate directly with their food) or create a power struggle over food.
tankgirl73's Avatar tankgirl73 06:56 PM 12-23-2007
:
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 09:41 PM 12-23-2007
Not sure if this has been covered yet or not, but how much do you offer, and how many times a day? DS has totally mastered the pincer grasp, and eats absolutely anything I put down in front of him. He loves eating so much, he will come racing over any time I am eating anything and demand some by making his noise for "eat" (totally different sounds than "I want to nurse" btw) and if I don't give it to him, it will end in tears.

Anyway, he is now eating about 3-4 times a day, and he is getting at least as much as his fist is big. I was told that their stomach is about the size of their fist, and to guage their intake on that when it comes to solids. He can easily pack away a quarter of a pear, a whole handful of cheerios, and a tablespoon or three of yogurt mixed with wild rice in the morning, and at lunch, he will eat at least a quarter cup or so of whatever veggie I am having, a quarter or so slice of bread, and at least 6 or 7 bites of meat/protein.

I am not encouraging/tricking/forcing eating solids in any way. He is putting everything in his mouth on his own. I just feel like he is eating so much, and I am not ready for him to be eating this much.

I have tried putting less in front of him, but he gobbles it up and cries for more so quickly. He chews everything, and it is mostly coming out the other end digested, so I think he is doing a good job of chewing.

Anyway, how much do you all give your 9 month old? I was under the impression that solids are just for experimentation right now, but he seems to want at least three "meals" a day.

ETA: I always nurse before offering solids. Generally he will, but at definitw meal times, he will often only nurse for a few seconds and then go play until his food is ready.
Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 11:05 PM 12-23-2007
All babies are different; some really are ready to eat, and eat a lot, as early as that. Is he nursing at night? I'd definitely keep nursing him before solids time, maybe see if you can get him to nurse more before meals, too. (Maybe offer midway through, too, and again after.) Really, though, as long as he is also getting substantial amounts of your milk, I wouldn't woory, and would keep following his cues.

And it's ok to feel sad about it, too.
ananas's Avatar ananas 11:44 PM 12-23-2007
Subbing to read later.
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 11:59 PM 12-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
All babies are different; some really are ready to eat, and eat a lot, as early as that. Is he nursing at night? I'd definitely keep nursing him before solids time, maybe see if you can get him to nurse more before meals, too. (Maybe offer midway through, too, and again after.) Really, though, as long as he is also getting substantial amounts of your milk, I wouldn't woory, and would keep following his cues.

And it's ok to feel sad about it, too.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. He is definitely a booby monster at night. He will nurse easily 6-8 times throughout the night. He will also go through periods at night where he will only sleep with my nipple in his mouth so he can sip/sleep/sip/sleep for a few hours at a time. My milk supply has dipped a bit during the day, but I am pretty sure I am a milky mama all night long, as I can feel my breasts start to fill up around bedtime.

I guess as long as I am following his cues and letting him do what he wants/needs to do, then he should be just fine. I just wasn't expecting him to be eating like this so soon. I don't know any other mamas IRL who's babes are eating such large amounts of food that is "chunks". I swear, this kid can eat anything an adult with a full set of teeth can eat, and he only has one tooth! :
Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 12:15 AM 12-24-2007
subbing

my now 7m old ds has been self feeding since hr was 4.5 months (i thought it was young too, but he was doing it!)
Magali's Avatar Magali 03:58 AM 12-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris777888 View Post
According to the wikipedia article, the reason not to cut things up is just that is that it makes it harder for baby to handle. When we were starting we went more towards giving him big/whole pieces of things rather than cut them up. That way he didn't get more than he could gum or scrape off with his teeth (once he got some). Of course now he can handle small things pretty easily, likes to pick up single grains of rice and eat them one at a time. :

Also wondering, how many times the babes are really choking as opposed to the gagging that they do naturally. If you wait a second before panicking, you'll find babe has a natural reflex that pushes the food back out. Its alarming at first, but totally normal. From what I read on other forums, some babes do it a lot more than others. Our son has only done that once or twice I can think of, but I remember reading on the babyledweaning.com site (left hand menu, That Gagging Thing) that some were doing it MUCH more often.
I haven't had a chance to read the article, but I will. It makes sense that cutting the food would make it harder to pick up. Ds has mastered tiny bits of slippery banana though. About the gagging. I know that when ds gags on his food if I wait a second he brings it up and all is fine. The 2 times that I panicked and stuck my finger in his mouth I scared him and he started screaming. Lots of times he gags, my heart stops, and then he brings up whatever it was and continues eating...like nothing happened. He actually usually laughs about it.
1  2  3 4  5  13  ... Last

Up