My DS is 8 mo. He's been eating solids since he was 6 mo. He has always been super interested in foods - and particularly in feeding himself. We didn't initially intend to do baby-led weaning, but that is essentially what he wanted to do!
Some of his favourite foods to eat are:
- bananas - I break off a third of a banana and hand it to him. He eats it all (what doesn't end up on his hands, face and shirt!)
- toast - I usually just give him a quarter piece of brown toast (more because he likes to eat it than for the nutritional value)
- rice cakes (see toast!)
- pear - I peel it and give him 1/4 or 1/3 of a pear. Same idea as banana.
- Steamed potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes - I just give him pieces (say, ping-pong ball sized?) and he eats them.
- I can't think of what else... He loves chicken, but we mostly eat veggie so he doesn't have that too often... Beans - I made a bean soup and gave him a bunch of the beans from it (he's just figuring out the pincer grasp - but it takes him a long time to pick up the beans!), then he drank some of the broth...
I've found that if he takes too big a bite or the food is too hard, he gags on it a bit, then spits it out and reaches for something else. I've read quite a few posts on here with people who have had similar experiences.
Oh, and I didn't mention... at this point, he usually gets whatever we're eating (lentil stew spiced with cumin and cayenne was the last thing, chili, you name it). I did start out with the slow introduction of individual foods, just to see how things went. We did that for about a month, then moved on from there...
Hope this helps some of you! I'm still at the beginning too, so I've got lots of questions, but he seems to be directing things in my case - so I'm just following his lead (in most cases!).