Red around the eyes - and goo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS's eyes have been very watery the past day or so, and red around them. This is not pinkeye (he has had that before and this isn't it, I don't think). People who see him ask me if he just woke up, since he has this glassy, red-eyed look around his eyelids and the rims of his eyes. He has also been rubbing his eyes. This morning they were stuck shut when he woke up. They have been watery and gooey all day and the eye goo is making his eyelids irritated and red.

If it isn't pinkeye, and I really think it isn't, then what could it be and what can I do to help it get better? He has always had an immature/clogged duct on the right side, but this is happening on both sides now. Is it time to call the ped? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 01:22 AM

It could be allergies, or infected tear ducts, since you mentioned one of them has been clogged. For the sticky eye mess, I'd try warm compresses on his eyes to get them to unstick, especially in the morning, if he'll hold still that long. Also, I'd probably call the ped to rule out an infection. They might be able to give you some eyedrops or something.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 AM

breastmilk in his eyes several times a day for a few days couldn't hurt, it always clears my son's eyes right up
Old 11-29-2007, 02:38 AM

My DS has had a very similar thing on more than one occasion but only on one eye at a time. It seems to be what he gets when he has a "cold" - although it is often his only symptom. Is it the inside corner of the eye (vs. the outside corner) where the goo is accumulating? That's what happens to my guy.

Our doc (who I love) showed me a diagram of the eye/sinuses. There is a drainage duct that starts at the inside corner of the eye and drains the tears into the nose. It can get plugged and infected. He suggested massaging it while breastfeeding (since he's the most likely to sit still then!). You massage in a downwards direction from the inside corner of the eye towards the nostril basically.

He also suggested putting breastmilk in the eye for its antibacterial properties. He told me I should try that for a couple of days first. Then if it's not effective, to use polysporin eyedrops (over the counter) for a few days (they are also used for pinkeye) and continue massaging. And if that STILL doesn't clear it up, I go to him for a prescription. I've found that if the BM and massage doesn't clear it up, I end up with the prescription... (We've had it 3 or 4 times...)

Hope this helps!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
breastmilk in his eyes several times a day for a few days couldn't hurt, it always clears my son's eyes right up
:

Although, "put some breastmilk on it" is pretty much my answer to everything.

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try putting breastmilk in his eyes then. I have some of the polysporin from when he had pinkeye, but I'm hesitant to use it. I'll do the bm first and see how that goes.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 PM

For my son, gunky eyes usually means ear infection. Does he seem like he's in pain otherwise? Any fever?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 PM

you can put breast milk in the ears also.

User Tag List