Another food question - need food ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
DS2 is almost 10 months, really enjoying food now, but my repertoire is seriously limited. Once or twice a day I get around to giving him something, one of the following:
- mashed banana
- oatmeal "cereal" (I do like knowing he's getting the bit of iron boost from it)
- mashed banana mixed with oatmeal
- sweet potato cubes for finger food
- O's for finger food
- Earth's Best carrots, squash, etc.

Purees are easy to come by (no time to cook much around here!), but what about other safe finger foods? I feel like many fruits and vegetables he won't be able to mush up well, or will just slide down his throat. Also I'd really like more ideas for easy, non-messy finger food - I give him too many O's to keep him busy while I'm trying to do things in the kitchen!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 PM

My ped recommended soft carrots, broccoli, sweet potato and squash. I would add pumpkin, peas, shredded spinach and regular potato to the list. Maybe also shredded cheese.

We do much of what you do (Earth's Best purees at daycare, oatmeal). Oh, my DD also really enjoys yogurt although that's probably not a self-feeding food at this age. I know what you mean about the mess, it bothers me too. However, I think we're going to just have to go with it for the time being. I did find that peas make a very limited mess.

I'll be watching this thread to see what other Mamas are doing.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 PM

well if you are trying to keep them entertained i have some ideas. my dd loves to try to eat the rice, i am guessing she gets some in there because it gets stuck to her fingers and then she puts them in her mouth... she is at the point where she loves to chew or play with anything i give her and can't really break off stuff in her mouth... she has had sticks of celery and carrots and large peice of pepper, kale, lettuce (this she rips up and flings around) papaya, green beans and broccoli- oh and the stem from a grape, she thougth this was most hilarious and explored it for about 20 minutes.... i guess we are taking it literally that food is for play and exploration at this point.. hope this was helpful- for the most part she eats what we are eating.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 PM

:

But I will second peas - DD loves them, seems to think they are fun too, and they aren't very messy, except she drops them everywhere - but I think you can do that with O's too.

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Soft mango and pear
Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 PM

Avacado, if he likes it. We used to cook carrot sticks until they were soft enough for dd to gum. You could do that with other veggies too.

Banana slices are great for finger foods. So are scrambled eggs. Or frozen, slightly thawed fruits, like raspberries or blueberries, though I guess those could get kinda messy.

DD loved garbanzos and pretty much any other beans, and fed those to herself nicely.

Also, as for the mess, we would just strip her down to her diaper at mealtimes, and let her go at it. We have some pretty funny pics of her covered head to toe in yogurt, carrots, etc., but she had a ball. And after, we would just pop her in the tub.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10

User Tag List