In our 30s with Our First Babe - December - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2007, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
becky thanks so much for typing all that out re vax. i was on the fence about the rota, but my mom and bro were hospitalized with it last Christmas -- my brother lost 12 lbs in a week!! (but he's a big guy) -- so I went for it.

I really hope I like our new ped on Tues.

I have some weird relationship with pumping/bottles I need to sort out. Not doing it and having nightmares about it. I think it's a stand-in for leaving DD. Going to go force myself to pump right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Julia - I'm so glad the LC was reassuring and that the pump is the problem! Try to find one at one of the hospital lactation shops - they seem to be quite a bit cheaper (like $30 less). I totally recommend hospital pumps for as long as you can - so much more comfortable and effective. Mine was my security blanket and I kept it way too long. Save all that extra milk, too! I'm sure Oliver will catch up in no time.
Thx for the advice, I was just saying to DH that maybe we should just buy one since I'll need it anyhow, but the LC was clear about renting the hospital one now instead, so it's interesting to know there's that much of a difference. I'm anxious to get pumping and see what I can collect... we're not gonna try introducing a bottle til we're sure he's eating well and gaining, but I'm anxious to start a stash for later when I go back to work... only 5 weeks left!

We found an au pair! She's from Thailand, and her English is ok but not great, so that's my only real concern. She seems very sweet, she's 25 (older than a lot of them so that's nice), and she'll be coming Feb. 18th. What a relief. Still not happy about having a "roommate" but I think once I adjust it'll be nice to be able to rely on someone who's IN the home instead of always calling a babysitter. I'm just glad that's done. We'll still have to find sitters for the month before she comes but that's not too bad.

Here's Ollie in his pouch:

http://flickr.com/photos/7342008@N05/2115267715/

This thing saved my life today, he was quite fussy earlier!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Oh - one more... Who said they let LO watch TV sometimes? Guilty! I feel awful about it, but sometimes I am not up for entertaining her and will let her sit on my lap and watch for a few minutes when I really need a break. She just noticed it maybe last week. I'm also guilty of having it on too much during the week when it's just me and her, but I do turn it off or mute it whenever she's interacting with me.
Puh-LEEZE, TV totally rocks! Just kidding. But I think a little isn't too bad. It's the world we live in! I plan on pushing the books and all that, but allowing tv in limited doses. I grew up watching tv for 1/2 hr. a day as long as my homework was done, and I think that's ok.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 PM

I watched WAY too much TV as a kid ("latch key" ring a bell anyone?), but I was also a voracious reader. I was the one who'd sneak reading under my covers with a blanket and would read all night and then be tired in the morning... I do worry that DD is too young for her little brain to handle all of those images so fast, so we keep it a minimal as we can. Seem to have turned out okay, though...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I watched WAY too much TV as a kid ("latch key" ring a bell anyone?), but I was also a voracious reader. I was the one who'd sneak reading under my covers with a blanket and would read all night and then be tired in the morning... I do worry that DD is too young for her little brain to handle all of those images so fast, so we keep it a minimal as we can. Seem to have turned out okay, though...
I read a lot as a kid, but nowadays I'm a total tv junkie! I think it's just cuz I have the time lately tho Funny how all the things I hated about my parents, I'm going to end up doing too... limiting tv time and video games, curfews, not letting me have junk food, etc. Those things weren't so bad maybe...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:52 AM

Hey girls! Hope everyone is doing okay.

Elizabeth, I'm sorry you are struggling with bfing ... I'm sure it's really hard. Hang in there. Sorry too about your dh, mine is like that sometimes too. I'm sure in his mind he sees how stressed out and upset you are and wants to fix that for you, but it does get frustrating/infuriating when they don't realize *why* you are attached to something that appears problematic.

Rachel, that SUCKS about your little boy getting poked in the feet. I'm sooo sorry. One time, my stupid ped decided Sofie needed a catheter because she "could have" a bladder infection. They couldn't get it in, but kept trying and trying and trying. I was sobbing. Sometimes I just hate the entire medical industry. (Except for really great nurses, especially ones who are mamas too! )

We're doing better with night weaning lately. I've modified things a little and seems she's settling into a pattern where she wakes up 3-4 times per night, which is fine by me. She wakes up just as I'm coming to bed usually (10ish) and then around 3, and then just before 6. If I nurse her at 6 she's been giving me another hour of sleep, so I'd rather slightly deviate from the plan and get that rest than be all strict about it and have a baby up crying from 6-7:30. (Tried that once)

Take care everyone.

Oh, also, we had her b-day party this weekend and it was super fun.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylecoj View Post
We're doing better with night weaning lately. I've modified things a little and seems she's settling into a pattern where she wakes up 3-4 times per night, which is fine by me. She wakes up just as I'm coming to bed usually (10ish) and then around 3, and then just before 6. If I nurse her at 6 she's been giving me another hour of sleep, so I'd rather slightly deviate from the plan and get that rest than be all strict about it and have a baby up crying from 6-7:30. (Tried that once)
Oh, also, we had her b-day party this weekend and it was super fun.
Glad the weaning is going better! Must be hard. I'll be coming to you for advice when it's our turn.

Can we see pics from the party?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 AM

Want a good laugh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Rw_3ky-uo

Good, clean fun
Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 AM

want another laugh? would you believe I BURNED the sweet potato?! I'm a failure!!

I salvaged a bit and mixed it with milk...she hated it anyway. oh well.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 AM

Sorry CJ but that is kind of funny! But I, alas, am the actual worst cook in all the land. I can burn water.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 AM

Can you guys tell I'm bored today? DH is watching football. Again. And I'm stuck here nursing, a captive audience. :
Old 12-17-2007, 02:21 AM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Funny how all the things I hated about my parents, I'm going to end up doing too... limiting tv time and video games, curfews, not letting me have junk food, etc. Those things weren't so bad maybe...
I'm in such the same boat here
I complained all the time about the fact that we could never watch TV, we were the only family I knew that didn't have Nintendo or Atari (or even a VCR until the very end of high school), I could never get the sugar cereals other kids had or other junk food, we never went to Disney World.... Now I see myself being that same kind of parent.
Guess in retrospect I appreciate those decisions!

I just got back from seeing a movie (Atonement) with a friend while DH stayed here with Willa. She had already gone to bed by the time I left, but still, it was nice having a girls' night out and doing something fun and social. Seems like such a long time ago when that was a common occurrence in my life!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM

anyone sensing theor friendships changing? almost all of my local friends are childless and i spent yesterday with one who just fid\n't get how great dd is. in fact she sprayed 409 all over after i changed a diaper! you could twell she was cmpletely grossed out. i don't hink i'll be seeing much of her. sigh i've really gotta up my new mama friend making. of course some of my childless friends are awesome with dd -- no generaizations intended.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Pie that sucks... I'm actually finally catching up with all my friends who already have kids so my friendships are getting better cuz I understand them now. Maybe you can find a local mom's group or meet some people through the daycare? It's hard feeling so isolated and then also thinking your friends don't understand.

Dudes, I'm 37 today! Not sure what, if anything, we're going to do to celebrate my b-day with this little one here and so small, but maybe we'll go WILD and rent me a hospital grade breast pump just for fun.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM

First of all, : Julia! Boy I bet you didn't think you'd be wishing for a hospital grade breast pump on your last birthday.

Rachel sorry the blood draw was such a nightmare. I hope it goes better next time. Poor little guy!

Becky thanks for all the vax info - that must have been a lot of work! Hope you & Maya are doing well.

CJ your adventures with sweet potatoes are cracking me up. I hate them personally, so I guess I wouldn't expect DD to like them either.

Julia & Elizabeth, I hated that my parents were too strict too but now I appreciate it and will raise my kid(s?) the same way. DH's parents were lenient (mainstream) but he wants to be stricter than I do now. I was a bookworm too!

Jocelyn I'd love to hear more about your DD's b-day party.

Amanda hooray for movies w/ friends and semblances of normalcy!

PiePie sorry your friendships are changing. I guess it's to be expected but it still sucks. Funny that your friend sprayed 409 everywhere after a diaper change. Diapers seemed grosser before I had to change them all day.

Bottles: I've tried several & my best suggestion is to buy ONE of several kinds and see what your baby likes. I've spent way too much $ buying 3 of each b/c each time I thought it would be the "right" one.

Avent Tempo - Short and wide, uses drop-ins, supposed to be good for BFing babies. Used first, DD liked them OK. Refused them after we switched to BreastFlow b/c milk came out too fast even w/ slow flow nipple.

Dr. Brown's - Tall and skinny, narrow nipple, supposed to be good for colic. DD hate them passionately.

Breastflow - Short and wide, special 2-part nipple simulates let down but makes it a pain to clean. Her current fave & most breast-like latch. Drawabacks are potential for milk wastage in nipple & BPA.

Playtex NaturaLatch w/ premium nurser - Regular width, uses drop-ins. Bought one yesterday based on PiePie's suggestion. DD seems to like it OK and I love the convenience of a drop-in and a single piece nipple. Nipple is smaller than BreastFlow & her latch isn't as good though. If we stay w/ formula I may switch to these since I won't need to preserve her latch.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM

I feel like a new woman! DH let me get 9 hours of sleep last night!!! Of course they were interrupted by pumping but he fed DD 2 or 3 times and stayed up w/ her all night and cleaned. I think he felt guilty for some things he said during an argument yesterday evening, but all is forgiven!

So... I'm second guessing the switch to formula. The past couple days DD has cried about as much as she's slept. She hasn't been eating enough or pooping enough and her last poop was downright toxic. Sigh. I've been dairy-free for 2 weeks now and I've continued to pump, so theoretically I could switch back to BFing. We're going back to the ped this afternoon to try to get some answers. I used Levsin anti-gas drops last night and they worked wonders but knocked her out. She needed sleep though, b/c she'd been awake crying all day. I guess it's pretty powerful stuff b/c the ped said only to use it in case of emergency. I wonder if those drops + BFing are as bad as formula.

OK off to see what kind of housework I can accomplish w/ baby in the Moby...

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:15 PM

julia happy birthday to you
Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry CJ but that is kind of funny! But I, alas, am the actual worst cook in all the land. I can burn water.
I think I deserve that title - since I also can't cook pacifiers. I have melted a pot of them at least three times trying to sterilize them. Doh - I now use the timer. Pots get expensive!!!

I don't cook - I heat.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
anyone sensing theor friendships changing? almost all of my local friends are childless and i spent yesterday with one who just fid\n't get how great dd is. in fact she sprayed 409 all over after i changed a diaper! you could twell she was cmpletely grossed out. i don't hink i'll be seeing much of her. sigh i've really gotta up my new mama friend making. of course some of my childless friends are awesome with dd -- no generaizations intended.
Yep, big change with some friends. Sucks since I don't have many with kids... I need to kick up friend making, too, but it's hard!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Happy birthday, Julia!!
::

I actually would get excited about renting a new hospital-grade pump for my birthday. So if that's what you end up doing, I'll be sper-excited for you!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Happy birthday Julia!!!

Dee - Sorry the gas is back... That sucks. DD is still gassy too. We had a break Saturday night, but last night it was back full force... Poor thing. I want to take her to the ped, but I don't like the one we have. I wonder if they'd give us the one we've seen a few times and liked somewhat better.

I think I found a ped (in Davis, so a 25 minute drive at least) that sounds good, though. In his bio on the practices' site he says his interests are ap and co-sleeping - that's a good sign!!! Can't go until January and I have to make sure we will still be able to see her current cardiologist since he's in a different medical group. Hope it'll be fine since we are switching to a PPO.

Good news - DD's up to 11 lbs 12 oz and 24 inches - 25% for weight and 50% for height, NOT age adjusted. Woohoo! At least even with the poops and gas she's gaining okay... Her cardiology appt this morning went really well - he sees no signs of heart failure and said that she's probably past the point of developing symptoms if she were going to at all. So, no follow up for 3 months now!!! Now if the VSD would just close already!

I'm so tired - this crying until midnight thing isn't working for any of us!

Rachel - I am wondering if it's some sort of delayed colic thing, too... It's mostly in the evenings, but she is clearly gassy. It's so hard to tell if it's reflux, just gas, colic, overtired, or in what combination of those things.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of B View Post
31- Mom of B-7/25/07
Mom of B!
I've added you to the first post
Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Rachel - I wonder if the lack of nap from 3 pm on has something to do with the fussiness. DD is a mess if she goes more than 2-3 hours (sometimes less) without a nap.
Rachel - I was thinking the same thing as Elizabeth - sounds like overtiredness to me! What would happen if you moved bedtime to 6PM or so? If that isn't possible, maybe try to squeeze a later afternoon nap in?

Elizabeth - So happy the scalding is working for you! It is totally working for us too (I just defrosted 3 week old milk last night and it tasted great!). At what temp are you scalding? I do 160 degrees for 15s, but have seen other recommendations for 180 degrees for 5s. If your milk is degrading (even after scalding) sooner than you would like, you might be able to remedy it by scalding at a higher temp. I don't know if it will work (as I said, 160 works for me as long as I scald within 24hours (preferably 8) of pumping so I stopped experimenting.

Becky
- Thanks for posting the Dr. Sears info.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

Happy Birthday Julia!!!

Haven't things changed in just one year, huh?

Anyway hope you have a wonderful birthday.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Becky - thanks for the vax info. I have to get organized and order some books soon.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Rachel - I was thinking the same thing as Elizabeth - sounds like overtiredness to me! What would happen if you moved bedtime to 6PM or so? If that isn't possible, maybe try to squeeze a later afternoon nap in?
That could definitely be part of it- unfortunately, with my current job and the traffic the way it is here in DC, I can't reliably get home before 6 every day (it's between 5 and 6:30). He just doesn't go to sleep well for my husband- prolly because that's the time of day when he does his comfort token nursing.

If we end up moving (offer should come tomorrow for DH- money won't be as good as we'd hoped, but we're still 95% sold on it), I'm going to try to get him on a schedule driven by his cues, since I'll be home with him.

Yesterday, we tried putting him in the floor to play when he got a little fussy- he kicked enough to power a small city, and rolled over six or seven times! He also tried valiantly to 'army man crawl' to the kitty. I was thrilled; DH, less so, as he'd like for the babe to be more stationary while we're trying to pack and prepare to move. I told him he could talk to the babe and negotiate a reasonable timeframe, if he wanted.

It's so funny to think about the overtiredness- I've been an insomniac since childhood (I used to sneak out to the living room and watch the original Star Trek at 11 PM when I was 5), and I know how weird and frustrated I feel *now* when I'm too exhausted to sleep. I sometimes wanna scream my head off, too! If that's his problem- I totally can relate.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We found an au pair! She's from Thailand, and her English is ok but not great, so that's my only real concern. She seems very sweet, she's 25 (older than a lot of them so that's nice), and she'll be coming Feb. 18th. What a relief. Still not happy about having a "roommate" but I think once I adjust it'll be nice to be able to rely on someone who's IN the home instead of always calling a babysitter. I'm just glad that's done.
Congratulations Julia! I bet you feel relieved to have this taken care of. I am excited to hear how the au pair thing works out. Dh and I briefly flirted with the idea of an au pair, but chickened out.

Also....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
I feel like a new woman! DH let me get 9 hours of sleep last night!!! Of course they were interrupted by pumping but he fed DD 2 or 3 times and stayed up w/ her all night and cleaned. I think he felt guilty for some things he said during an argument yesterday evening, but all is forgiven!

So... I'm second guessing the switch to formula. The past couple days DD has cried about as much as she's slept. She hasn't been eating enough or pooping enough and her last poop was downright toxic. Sigh. I've been dairy-free for 2 weeks now and I've continued to pump, so theoretically I could switch back to BFing. We're going back to the ped this afternoon to try to get some answers. I used Levsin anti-gas drops last night and they worked wonders but knocked her out. She needed sleep though, b/c she'd been awake crying all day. I guess it's pretty powerful stuff b/c the ped said only to use it in case of emergency. I wonder if those drops + BFing are as bad as formula.

OK off to see what kind of housework I can accomplish w/ baby in the Moby...
Dee - Yay for sleep!!! I am soooo happy for you!
Boob or formula...as long as you are pumping, you can always change your mind.

So Benjamin has a new "classmate". A little girl, 8 weeks old (OMG, was Benjamin really ever that small?!). Anyway, I dropped Benjamin off at daycare and the new girl was there (today was her first day). She was in the crib crying and trying to get her fist, rooting around, clearly hungry. So I say to the daycare worker, "Um, I think she is hungry". The daycare worker said, "Yes, but unfortunately she is on a strict schedule and she cannot eat for another 45 mins". I was about to freak out, but then I realized a) the daycare worker was just as upset about it as I was and b) despite this fact, the daycare worker was respecting the parents wishes. Made me happy and sad at the same time. Anyway, I can't believe that there are still people out there who think they have to put an 8 week old on a feeding schedule (and ignore hunger signs because it isn't "time" yet). How can they even stand it? The baby was being formula fed so maybe that has something to do with it? Are formula fed babies supposed to be on a schedule?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I think I found a ped (in Davis, so a 25 minute drive at least) that sounds good, though. In his bio on the practices' site he says his interests are ap and co-sleeping - that's a good sign!!! Can't go until January and I have to make sure we will still be able to see her current cardiologist since he's in a different medical group. Hope it'll be fine since we are switching to a PPO.
I can't believe I never noticed this before. I am in Woodland and you must be in Davis. We are practically neighbors. What ped are you going to be using? I think we're about to switch to Oberholtzer with Sutter.

Julia, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JULIA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Pie, my friendships have changed some too. Some got better with time, once my friends could interact with dd more, but some just fell by the wayside. It's a completely different life and I know why my sister felt like we couldn't relate for so many years.

Dee, color me envious of all that sleep!! YAY! Sorry about the gas. Poor little tummy.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 PM
acp

Happy birthday, Julia!! It is indeed amazing how much can change in a year... Good luck with the hospital pump. I have one friend who rented one for a few weeks and was able to really boost her flagging supply with it. I think that even with the best personal pump, there's not really anything you can do to help supply - you need the hospital-grade ones for that.

Rachel, good luck with DH's job offer/moving decisions. Sounds like it could be a great thing. I do think that getting overtired in the evening can play a big part in babies' evening fussiness, and Willa got much happier as we shifted her bedtime earlier (it's now sometime between 6:30 and 7) but I understand how work schedules can make that impossible.
Isn't it fun watching babes try to move? Willa's been doing a sort of army crawl/scoot for about a month now, and is pretty adept at crawling backwards and getting where she wants to go by rolling. She still doens't have a coordinated crawl down, but I love watching her try - generally she rocks for a while, moves her knees forward, lunges, bellyflops, then gets up and does it all again - and eventually gets to whatever she's trying to reach. I'm torn between wanting her to crawl (in part because she so clearly wants to) and realizing how much harder it's going to be looking after her once she's moving at warp speed around the living room.

Pie, I'm sorry about the friends thing, and definitely understand how having kids changes relationships. I'm lucky in that most of my friends here in Chicago started having kids in the last two years, so I have a built-in support network with kids not too much older than Willa (this was also great in terms of borrowing TONS of baby equipment from them that their babies had outgrown. Less $$ and when Willa's done with the large things like exersaucer, swing, jumperoo, etc I can give them back and not have to store them). But many of my close friends who don't live here are still childless, and while they're excited for DH and me, they definitely don't "get" it, or realize the ways in which a child changes your life. I also have a number of very close girl friends who are in their mid-30s and still single, and I find it's hard on our relationship for complex reasons. Most of them really do want families, and are starting to be very aware of the ticking biological clock. While they're obviously happy for DH and me, I think having a kid just introduces a sensitive subject. One very close friend told me she always assumed we'd have kids around the same time. I think having kids is just one of those things that can affect friendships pretty profoundly, both positively and negatively - it's a major life change, and it's pretty instinctive to want to be around people who understand and share in and are interested in what you're going through.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
I also have a number of very close girl friends who are in their mid-30s and still single, and I find it's hard on our relationship for complex reasons. Most of them really do want families, and are starting to be very aware of the ticking biological clock. While they're obviously happy for DH and me, I think having a kid just introduces a sensitive subject. One very close friend told me she always assumed we'd have kids around the same time.
yes that is definitely part of what is going on

User Tag List