In our 30s with Our First Babe - December - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 528 Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so who all is in California? I'm in the North San Diego area.

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#422 of 528 Old 12-21-2007, 06:04 PM

I am in California, but I'm up in Sacramento.
#423 of 528 Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes, ladies! I'll try to catch up, next week, when I'm the only one in the office.

That pumping bra is so cool!! I wish I would have known about that 3 years ago.
#424 of 528 Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Took Isabella to work today for a couple of hours. She did great in the mei tai, but is going through a phase where she doesn't want to sleep when we're out and about. It's like she's too interested in what's going on around her. Not sure what we're going to do about that. She crashed in her swing when we got home - she was just starting to really fuss in the car and we got here just in time!

Today is my first official day back, but it was DEAD and shut down at noon. The whole office is closed until January 3rd, so that will be my first full day back. No idea how I'm going to get out of the house when I need to be there on time - today I aimed for 10:00 and got there at 10:40!

Finally asked my best friend to be godmother and she said yes, woohoo! That's a bit of a relief.

Anyone else setting up 529s? I want to do that, but I am so unfamiliar with financial planning stuff.
#425 of 528 Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Anyone else setting up 529s? I want to do that, but I am so unfamiliar with financial planning stuff.
I have ours set up, and use Upromise for as much as I possibly can.
#426 of 528 Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM

grace - if it weren't for my mom helping me with those diapers, I never would have figured out how to sew them myself. So I'm not much help on the sizing, except that I was surprised how much you had to pull the elastic tight. we use the flannel inserts, fleece on the inside, hope they work for you too!

yesterday's flight was everything I had nightmares about. foot of snow on the ground and streets not plowed. flight is delayed 3 hours. Able to get on an earlier flight, but then sat on the runway for an hour. Poor Ella had a meltdown about 1/2 way through. I went through our bottle, she wouldn't nurse, she was just exhausted. screaming. TG I was next to an incredibly sweet grandmother, she was so great. bag didn't make it till late last night.

whine fest over, at least I'm here (dh and d-dog still on the road!). hoping all other travelers on here have a much better time!
#427 of 528 Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 PM

CJ... sorry you had a rough flight. That's one thing I'm grateful for this X-Mas season, I don't have to fly anywhere. DH and I flew a lot this last year and I don't think we had a single flight be ontime anywhere... at one point we were even a day late getting home and I lost income because apparently that doesn't qualify me for a sick day? Ugh, HATE flying. Glad you got there in one piece.

Is everyone else travelling? Kinda slow around here...

Ollie's starting to make coo-ing noises. Very cute. Also starting to turn his head toward certain noises, like my voice Getting some great grins too, just not sure if they're on purpose yet. They're still beautiful. We'll have a good night of sleep followed by a not-so-good night, but he's starting to sleep longer stretches. DH has let him fall asleep in his lap and then won't move him for hours (this is in the middle of the night) so I can get 5 hours. Wow, do I feel like a different person. Unfortunately, last night was not one of those nights, but maybe tonight will be.

His latch hasn't been good lately and I haven't been as good as I should be about breaking him off and starting him over, so I have blisters on both nipples. So I'm feeding on the right and pumping on the left, to give it a break... starting to build up a BM stash. Woohoo! An investment in my freedom Though actually the thought of leaving my baby for more than an hour, and especially with a stranger, is still kinda painful. I even miss him when he's downstairs with DH and I'm sleeping!

How is everyone? Where is everyone?
#428 of 528 Old 12-22-2007, 06:09 PM

I'm here. Fussy baby never sleeps. Guess people are visiting family for the holidays. Personals when I get a chance. Part-time BFing is going well, even weaning off the shields.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#429 of 528 Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Dee that's fantastic!
#430 of 528 Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post

We did ours through the California State Plan, but it's managed through Fidelity.
#431 of 528 Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 AM

Hey ladies!

CJ, sorry to hear about the flight. That really, really sucks. I hope the people on the plane and at the airport were nice to you.

Well, I had another good night with dd where she only woke a few times all night. I really hope this trend continues.

Right now I'm at my MIL's house and things are great. Takes us about 3 hours to get here and so we stopped at McDonald's ~2.5 hours into it to grab a snack and let dd get out and play. We had a fruit yogurt salad thing but their yogurt was weird -- tasted like frosting. Anyway, she loved it.

She's been eating a ton of solid food and I guess I am slowly weaning her. I love bfing, but I am tending to offer her solid food when she goes for the boobies unless I know she's upset or something.

Right now my brother in law has a friend over with a 14 month old son. Earlier tonight he made his son CIO before a nap and my MIL and I couldn't stand it. We both said something to him. I feel like this dad is completely uninterested in his son. I have spent most of the evening since dd went to bed holding and playing with this kid while his father downs beer after beer after beer. (After a recent DUI, I might add)

Grrrr.

Can I adopt him please?

Everyone have a wonderful Holiday! I'll be on in a day or so.
#432 of 528 Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 PM

Nylecoj... maybe slip the guy an AA brochure or something? : That's gotta be hard to be around. I can't even stand hearing about that kind of stuff. I'm glad you could hang out with his boy. I don't understand that... I don't even like to be in another room from Oliver, even when I know he's safe and sound sleeping. Sounds like the weaning is going well, keep it up! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who occasionally goes to McD's :

Just trying to keep our thread bumped up til people check in again!

My mom's coming today... I'm really looking forward to it. Man I must be bored
#433 of 528 Old 12-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Oh yeah and based on many recommendations (especially Emily's) we bought the papasan infant swing last night. He coos and coos in it! Happy baby, happy mom... it'll be a Merry Christmas for all...
#434 of 528 Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Oh yeah and based on many recommendations (especially Emily's) we bought the papasan infant swing last night. He coos and coos in it! Happy baby, happy mom... it'll be a Merry Christmas for all...
Yay Julia! Papsan cradle swing is sooo awesome. We are visiting the inlaws right now (flew from Atlanta to Portland...Benjamin did great - one minor meltdown - but our luggage is missing. Grrr) and miss ours terribly!

Anyway, I haven't been around MDC much this week. We had to put our old pup Maggie to sleep and I just haven't been very cheery or chatty. I adopted her when I was 20 so almost all of my adult life is tied to memories of her. I don't want to bring the thread down or anything, but I did want to let you guys know what was going on.
#435 of 528 Old 12-23-2007, 09:54 PM

cj, i totally feel you on the travel hell. we missed our flight to new mexico bc dh set the alarm wrong. i went cruising out the door in pj's in the hope it had been delayed, then waited for hours on standby with a grumpy dh (nothing bugs him more than feeling like he failed me). babe made it to dallas ok, where we went on standby yet again. dd melted down about halfwat to abq. then the drive up to taos was hellacious. i was angling to nurse her in the carseat, but she didn't want the boob at that angle. the mtn roads were atrocious, and i kept totally backseat driving. i have spent next to no time in the car with her, and i have bad visions of all possible dangers.

on a happier note, today i went snowshoeing with babe! : :
#436 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 12:20 AM

Emily - I am so, so sorry about Maggie. I wish there were something I could do - I am sure she will wait happily for you at the Rainbow Bridge...

By the way, your comment about your name was so helpful in deciding to keep the name Isabella. I remember saying our top pick was super popular and you said that your name was popular, but you still liked it. Anyway, I thought you should know that I still remember that and thank you. Emily IS a pretty name, as is Isabella.

Nylecoj - that really sucks about the poor, crying babe. That makes me so sad... DD has decided that being in the car in the dark is BAD and she cries. So sad - even if I sit by her and we keep the dome light on she still gets so upset! Even that is too much for me... I don't know how people can take it.

Grace24 - Glad you like the swing!!!
#437 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 12:23 AM

The Vaccine Book

I recommend this, too! I finished it this morning and it's so helpful - it really clears up what we're going to do on vaccinations. I didn't realize that some had SO much aluminum!

Anyone know why rotavirus "can't" be given after 12 weeks? I do want DD to have that one, but she's going to be 16 weeks tomorrow... I don't understand why it would suddenly stop working at 13 weeks??? I realize they didn't test it in babes after 12 weeks (for the first dose), but they give subsequent doses after that, so what's the difference? I'm planning to ask our new ped when we see him, too.
#438 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 01:12 AM

Emily I'm so sorry about Maggie! I'm so attached to my dogs, I can't imagine.
#439 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 01:46 AM

Emily I'm so sorry.

#440 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 04:02 AM

Emily, sorry to hear about your pup. My favorite dog ever (got her when I was 16) passed a couple of years ago and I still think about her all the time. Heck, I even dream about her still. It's so sad when a loved one passes. Hang in there and please do try to enjoy your holiday.

Elizabeth, I have no idea why they can't give rotovirus after 12 weeks ... that makes no sense to me either, but I've done little reading about any of it. I need to get that book as well so that we can change our plans for our next kid.

Alright everyone, happy almost christmas eve!
#441 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 05:51 PM

((((Emily and Pie)))) hugs!
piepie- oy, I hope the return is better for both of us! Enjoy the snow. I'm bummed we're missing a white christmas at home.
#442 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 PM

and now for my 500th post, featuring new and otherwise under-utilized smilies!

::::

(the pink 'good vibes' one is kind of weird)
#443 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 07:07 PM

Congrats on 500 - the good vibes one is very strange.
#444 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Well we're having a crappy day... Reflux galore and thrush is coming back for me. OUCH!!! Back to Diflucan - I only got 4 days off this time.

She's pulling off and on and off and on with every feeding. I'd EP, but I swear I can't get a full feeding. I pumped one and nursed on the other earlier and got 1/2 ounce from the one she DIDN'T nurse on.

Sorry for the whine on Christmas Eve, but it's so far a sucky one for us. I already flaked on my mom's house tonight - DD just isn't up for going anywhere since I can't seem to get more than 30 minutes of happy time today. She's crying away in the mei tai right now, but I can't figure out how to help her!
#445 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 PM

As that's how I tend to be -- briefly poking my head in, and then ducking for cover while I get back to my crazy household.
The last two weeks have been a haze: baby is enjoying her first two weeks of life, except for monstrous gas (seriously: this kid farts more than the rest of us combined), the big kids are running amok for the next two weeks (no school --oy!), I just had to flea treat both dogs (who were surprisingly ungrateful), and my mom and ILs are due to arrive in an hour.

I should mention that the house is a bit of a wreck, babe won't sleep unless she's in arms (though we can get five minutes here and here in the bouncy chair) and DH is just as exhausted as I am. Plus I know my MIL has gone waay overboard with the gifts, despite the conversation we had about three gifts being plenty for the Baby Jesus, and therefore my kids really don't need more than that...

Merry Freakin' Christmas.

I know it will all be fine in the end, and our families don't care what our house looks like, but I'm seriously looking forward to the holidays being over!

Cher
mama to Baby Z (12/10/07); loving aunt to N (8) and T (6)
#446 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Cher - It gets better!!! DD wouldn't tolerate being put down at all for about six weeks. Now she'll happily hang in her bouncy seat for sometimes up to 30minutes and will nap up to an hour in it once a day...

Yeah, Merry Christmas here too...
#447 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Hey Elizabeth,

Hang in there with Isabella! So sorry to hear about the reflux and thrush again,. That sucks.

Baby is running away with her highchair, gotta run. Happy Christmas to everyone.
#448 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Elizabeth... sorry baby is so fussy... just went through that last night. Can't believe all the thrush issues, you poor baby.

Cher... glad to see you over here! It's exhausting at first, isn't it? Oliver is a month now, so I know exactly what you mean. We bought this papasan swing but he still prefers to be held. It'll get better... you'll figure out what works and what doesn't. The first two weeks were the roughest... well, three... til we started getting the hang of things, and learning what works for our baby. I'm glad you finally joined our grads thread!

So last night was the first night I was "on baby duty" the whole time, as Paul went back to work today. It was rough. Oliver decided that was the night he'd wake up EVERY HOUR. By 8 a.m. I melted down and made DH take over. (He didn't have to work til 2). I felt like a crazy person by then. So we've decided... co-sleeping isn't working for us. I listen for every little sound, every little movement, and not only can I not sleep, whenever one of us moves, baby wakes up. So we're gonna start trying him in the crib and using the monitor. It feels unbelievably wrong to have him down the hall but it's the only way I think I can sleep, and I'd rather be rested when I wake up to take care of him than cursing under my breath. I'm sad about it, but I think it's the best thing. I'll update tomorrow! Wish me luck!
#449 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 PM

Congrats Cher, glad to see you here!

Julia glad you like your Moby and papasan swing. I have a papasan swing too & love it. I especially like that it plugs into the wall instead of eating batteries!

CJ and PiePie, sorry about your travel difficulties, sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully the trips back will be low key and smooth. :

Elizabeth you are a saint to deal with the breastfeeding problems like you do.

I thought breastfeeding was going well for us but I've changed my mind again. We had a really rough night, and I think the final straw was the baby screaming hysterically and refusing to latch on without a shield (they were both dirty, it was 4:30AM and she'd been crying since 2:45). Even with the shield my nips are cracking again. I just feel like we're both more emotionally healthy when we can calmly sit on the couch to feed. I actually feel closer to her when I bottle feed b/c all the pain and frustration of BFing is gone. I dunno, it's a tough decision, one I may never be fully comfortable with, but the pendulum has swung once more. I thought about EPing but I don't quite make enough. Plus I added up all the time it would take to pump & realized that I'd rather spend that time with her instead of the pump. I could probably still be talked into EPing, if anyone has advice. I'm just exhausted from all this - colic, reflux, BFing, pumping - I'm ready to enjoy my baby! We started Zantac today and it seems to help, so I'm optimistic about that too.

I hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas! I'm feeling a bit melancholy - I'm homesick & miss my family, as much of a PITA as they can be. Funny, every year before now DH & I looked for excuses to avoid the 10 hour drive back home. Now that we have the perfect excuse, I just wish we could be there! I never even had a chance to put up a tree. I guess next year will be extra special to make up for this one though!

Merry Christmas everyone!

#450 of 528 Old 12-24-2007, 11:01 PM

Merry Christmas, all.

Emily -- I'm so sorry about your dog. We had to put my cat to sleep during the holidays a couple of years ago. It was very hard.

Hope everyone's babies sleep well and comfortably tonight... and I hope all you travellers have great return trips.

Cher -- delighted to see you here. Z. is gorgeous. I'm especially impressed by her eyebrows.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page