In our 30s with Our First Babe - December - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lane - my hair is still falling out even after the cut, but it seems to be more evenly distributed (I was getting bald spots around my temples from pulling my hair back in a pony tail all the time - they seem to be growing back (unfortunately, with gray hair)).

rachel and julia and elizabeth
#512 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post

So I was on deck again last night and took over DH's normal job of putting Ollie to bed. I suck at it. It seems like the only way he'll go to bed for any length of time is if he has a good long cry first, and I keep soothing him and nursing him all night so he doesn't cry, so when I put him to bed then he wakes up every hour or two all night, so that by 3:30 a.m. I was shaking DH awake, crying, saying "I can't do this". Man I suck. I can't even handle one night putting him to bed. But now I'm reading all these things about how babies NEED to cry and I should just hold him while he cries and let him get it out, but I'm not sure what's worse... waking up constantly or listening to him scream for 20 minutes at a time. Is this normal? Jeez!

Yes it sucks about the sitter, I think I'll give my friend Catherine a call. She has an au pair (ours doesn't come for two months) who is willing to do extra babysitting, except I'd have to bring him to her house. Maybe she'd let me bring him and then take a nap at her house? I think I'll ask if we can't find anyone else. I'm so sleep deprived and I don't hold up well like this... I get very cranky! I mean beyond cranky.. non-functioning, I-can't-do-this cranky. Bah.
Julia, a big hug to you. i am so friggin' tired today too. dd nursed like all night. you will get better at it. when dh first went back to work, i thought i sucked at soothing -- nursing was like my only technique (ok, i'm exagerating some, but only a little). i got better at it and within a week i had my own tricks. BTW, i am looking for a sitter and $17 is what i might have to pay , at least until the colleges come back into session.
#513 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM

rachel, i'm hoping your ds doesn't get hospitalized. have you considered tapping other mamas for ebm? i got several bags worth from a friend/acquaintance from a mama i met through my BFing support group. she pumped to relieve engorgement but now her ds won't take a bottle, and she didn't want her milk wasted. i know her well enough to know that she doesn't have hiv (they wouldn't have let her nurse in the hosp where she gave birth without a negative hiv test per nys law) so i'm okay with sharing. anyway that might be better for his immune system than formula. or is he on special prescription formula? i totally feel you on hating the pump. i don't pump as much as you do and i hate it so i cannot imagine the multiples of hatred you must be feeling!!
#514 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 03:22 PM

elizabeth, please check in and let us know how you are doing!
#515 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Have an appt with a different sitter tomorrow. She seems a lot more professional and promising... I have a feeling she'll show up at least! So strange and scary thinking of leaving my baby with a stranger from the web even with references... and even though I'll be home... that's a huge trust. Wow.

So now that my mom's gone I've had a little time to process this... I'm alarmed by some things I've observed the last couple of visits with her. She seems to be getting a little disoriented and her memory isn't great. It scares me because she's only 67 and her mother had the same issue, early senility. And in the back of my mind, I think god is that my heritage? I only have 30 years left to use my brain before I start losing everything and use three things of cream at a time in my coffee and can't remember that I already told someone the same story twice? Yikes. I know that's neither here nor there but it alarms me that it seems to be progressing. I don't have the guts to tell her what I'm observing... she kind of knows and will make comments like "I'm losing my mind" and stuff and I'll just say things like, "Well it's easy to lose stuff when you're not in your own house, etc." I don't have the heart to tell her! Sigh...I know this has nothing to do with babies, sorry... just venting, yet again...
#516 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM

julia, i too am dealing with old mom stuff. my mom is only 65 but acts like she is much older. i think of myself as with it at 65 -- working full time, globe trotting, etc. she walks with a cane -- she had knee replacement surgery and didn't follow with her physical therapy -- i know i shouldn't blame her for her disability but really couldn't she have prioritized the rehab? and she may have epilepsy and the meds for it really knock her out. and she has a pacemaker for a condition that may have been a misdiagnosis (may have really been epilepsy). so she is terrified of blacking out and generally with it. she doesn't want to be left alone with dd. at least she isn't overestimating her abilities (which would be a whole otehr problem) but i was kinda thinking she could do a little babysitting, yk? i feel so jealous of my new mama acquaintance/friend whose mom visited for a month and they got along great and her mama watched her babe all the time and was totally cool and perfect with him. ah well. i guess we've all got our crosses to bear. but seeing my mom really pushed me to exercise more. one cause of osteoarthritis can be failure to exercise, and my mom certainly stopped that after she had #2. not me, i vow. altho when i went to african dance class yesterday for all of 55 minutes i felt such GUILT about leaving her (which may be transferance of my working mama guilt? ) and i missed her so much, altho i also kept picturing her watching me so as to inspire myself to do the moves better.
#517 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemamarach View Post
So- we decided to take the plunge. We're going to be living off of my husband's income at first, and hopefully for a while.
Congratulations about this! And a huge hug about everything else. I also personally know mamas who have donated "extra" milk every week to other mamas who need some. (And they've been thrilled to do it.) Might be something to look into.

Jocelyn and Amanda -- Ada was a 7 times per day pooper before she all of the sudden switched to being a once a day girl, or twice, or skip a day. The five days in a row was freaky, but I kept reminding myself and DH that it can be normal to go up to a week or even 12 days at this age. (However 17 days would REALLY wig me out. How big was THAT blowout? Also, it would be weird to go BACK to 7 times a day now.)

Pie and Julia -- Wow and hugs about your moms. I'm very nervous about that. My grandmother has advanced Alzheimers (although I hadn't thought about me getting it... great). But I think a LOT about my parents getting old. It's even more... charged b/c I have had a lot of tension with my mom. It's weird to think of having to take care of her.

I wish I had more time to exercise/do yoga, too. I did a 6 wk postnatal yoga class, which was great except that it was during Ada's morning nap time so she was FUSSY so I didn't get to do much of it.

Nostalgic interlude: New Year's. We've been invited to a friend's house but they don't want to start till late. Maybe I'll pop in and have some champagne but then I'll come home and sing the baby to sleep. Last year we had a great time, dressed up and tipsy stumbling up the street from party to party in fancy shoes and a sling because, oh yeah, I broke my elbow a year ago. And also? The ovulation that was to become the zygote that was to become Adelaide was just about to happen, any minute. So I don't mind staying home. It's cool to remember. I was on the brink of my biggest wish! The preg. thread just got the first mama due in September, a YEAR after I was due. Wow. So I guess my "pregnancy year" is over. In 2008, I have to be something else.

Cheers, y'all. May 2008 bring us each our NEXT biggest wishes!
#518 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 PM

Pie - I'm okay - thanks for checking in, though!!! I'm still upset about everything, but I'm hanging in there. DD's been pretty demanding lately, so I haven't had computer time really. Mom is here and is holding her right now...

Still healing - no word yet on the culture. Saw a DC today who was recommended who sees food reactions in me, which he thinks is causing DD's food reactions so he is going to work on that and is hoping that getting that straightened out will allow my immune system to focus on my boobs like it's supposed to.

Went back on soy Thursday evening and had blood in her poop last night. Off again, and somehow today it looks pretty good. Yellow and seedy even if there is mucous. So, not sure if it was the soy or what before. I was so hoping for no change with the soy so I could EAT again. I'll try eggs next once she looks good for another day or two - I need protein.

Formula - The DC mentioned that you can make formula at home based on coconut milk, which would be hypoallergenic. Maybe that's something Rachel and Dee could look into? I can try to get the recipe if you need.

Rachel - I'm so, so sorry that Lucien is still so sick. I so wish I could do something - I feel awful for both of you... How scary, too. I hope that they can figure out what's wrong without hospitalizing him. I totally get hating the pump, too. I HATED mine when we were triple feeding. If you need to supplement that would get him iron, too, right? I'm glad you guys are going to be able to move so you can stay home, though. That will make both of you feel better in the long-term I'm sure. I will pray for him.

Julia - Sleep, yeah. I can get DD to bed, but ONLY if I sleep with her. At night even on me won't work. Nursing down is working lately, but for naps I have to pretty much just wear her. My mom is trying to get her down now and she's crying - I'll go step in in a minute, but at work I won't be able to!!! That bothers me. DH can't get her down either. But, someday I will need her to sleep without me laying there with her!!! I can't even sneak out of bed to go to the bathroom without her waking up.

Hair - When did those of you with hair issues have it start? Mine's still okay, but I am scared about it falling out!

Mom stuff - mine is stressing me out, too. She's 69 and looks great, but is definitely not mentally where she was even a few years ago. It worries me, too. I can't say anything and she doesn't see it at all. Even with DD - I told her this morning that "sshhh"ing works well for her when you're trying to get her to calm down or fall asleep and I had to go in there and remind her just now to try that. And gave her a pacifier, too, since that didn't occur to her either. She tends to want to sit with her on her lap, but that's not exactly what DD wants to do all day! I won't even mention the driving, but I will say I'm NOT putting a car seat base in her car so that she can't drive with her...
#519 of 528 Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM

uh oh.

I hope I'm just being paranoid, but my right breast HURTS all of a sudden. It's not engorged, it's not a single lump, it's the whole thing, just tender.

I've been sick too, but I'm pretty sure it really is a cold.

please tell me this isn't mastitis?
#520 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 01:37 AM

bump.

are you guys all off doing exciting things this nye? :

elizabeth - noticeable hairloss started at ~5 months for me...
#521 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 02:33 AM

Nope, nothing exciting... went to the grocery store, then toasted DH with perrier, now NAk... hoping to get to bed after this. DS is finally sleepy.

Weird on the hair loss, is that normal? Is it gonna happen to me? My hair's thin enough already!

CJ...so are we exercising tomorrow? How's your boob, is it still red and tender? I hope it's nothing!

Happy New Year all! I love you ladies!
#522 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post
Nostalgic interlude: New Year's. We've been invited to a friend's house but they don't want to start till late. Maybe I'll pop in and have some champagne but then I'll come home and sing the baby to sleep. Last year we had a great time, dressed up and tipsy stumbling up the street from party to party in fancy shoes and a sling because, oh yeah, I broke my elbow a year ago. And also? The ovulation that was to become the zygote that was to become Adelaide was just about to happen, any minute. So I don't mind staying home. It's cool to remember. I was on the brink of my biggest wish! The preg. thread just got the first mama due in September, a YEAR after I was due. Wow. So I guess my "pregnancy year" is over. In 2008, I have to be something else.

Cheers, y'all. May 2008 bring us each our NEXT biggest wishes!
ooooooo
#523 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 AM

cj my mastitis pain was localized. and i've had it twice now.
#524 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Happy New Year, everyone.

I'm sorry to hear about Lucien ... I wish there was something I could do. And, I'm glad you quit your job because your boss sounds like a huge a-hole.

Sorry to hear about parents losing it. That's really sad and I hope I have time before that happens. I imagine it will happen with my father well before my mom as my grandma still has it totally together, thank goodness.

Julia, sleep deprivation is HARD. I still have trouble coping with it but somewhere in there my body/brain/whatever got a bit more used to it. Dd was a big crier too ... I'm not sure if it was me, or her, or a combination, but sometimes (even now) she just needs to cry while I hold her before she goes down to bed.

Everyone, I hope you had a wonderful New Year's with your babies and families. Hope nobody had or got mastitis.

Take care.
#525 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
are you guys all off doing exciting things this nye? :
Our crazy plans consisted of ordering in some not-so-great Thai food, watching a DVD after Willa went to bed, and calling it a night at 10:30
Something tells me that the days of wild, late New Year's celebrations are over for at least a few years.
We did get back from Colorado pretty smoothly yesterday, despite crazy weather both in CO and here in Chicago, so I'm grateful for that. And despite the horrendous trip to get out there, overall we had a great time and Willa did so well with everyone. In fact, it was a big week for her – she learned how to get herself to a sitting position, to crawl, and to pull herself up to standing, all in one week. Crazy. Guess we really do need to babyproof our apartment now!

Rachel, I'm so sorry things have been so rough with Lucien. . It sounds like it's just been a really hard few months for both you and him. I hope you were able to avoid the hospitalization, and that some of the issues are starting to clear up. i don't blame you for feeling tired. Maybe being out of daycare, now that you'll be staying at home for a while, will help him?
I don't actually live in Colorado - I just wish I did. I lived there for a while (in Estes Park) a few years ago, and worked for a number of years at a camp in Buena Vista, and have spent a lot of time in the front range, and have some very good friends who live in Boulder and Denver. And my family has had a place in Summit County for decades, so I get out there whenever I can.
I haven't spent much time in the C Springs area, but I know a number of people who went to Colorado College there and loved the area, and I know it's quite beautiful. I also think it's a bit more affordable than Boulder/Denver. It's an odd mix of liberal Colorado outdoorsy types and religious conservatives (Colorado Springs is the home of Focus on the Family) but I think you should find lots of good people, and Coloradoans are generally pretty friendly. Do you like the outdoors at all? It's such a great place for hiking, biking, climbing, x-country skiing, etc - and I found when I was out there last summer that hiking with a babe (especially if you have an ergo-like carrier) is a great way to get outside and get exercise.
Sorry I don't have any specific advice as I don't know that area super well, but congrats on DH's new job and move, and it really is such a beautiful area.
#526 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
In fact, it was a big week for her – she learned how to get herself to a sitting position, to crawl, and to pull herself up to standing, all in one week. Crazy.
!!!
#527 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 PM

yeah - way to go Willa! (and wow!)

Boob is better but have had splitting headache and fever all day. Thinking sinus infection. grateful it's not the boob though. (managed to actually take two 30 minutes naps today for the first time.. since I got pregnant? - so no working out for me, julia. oh well!)

lane - I love the conception anniversary - I totally got nostalgic for that too

so..I'm willing to start a new thread but I have a dumb question. is there a way to copy all the lovely colors that emily did on the first page? when I cut and paste it just brings it in with black fonts and no special characters...

ETA: NEVERMIND! I figured it out..
#528 of 528 Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page