In our 30s with Our First Babe - December - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes upping the dose is best if possible. but did u see that pediatrics piece re zantac causing low bone density? what do u think? dd is on it too. i haven't read it yet. want to ask ped. i switched peds to one who is on vacation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post

Ugh - that's worse than Isabella - she's up 3 times a night usually and will give me 3 hours of sleep sometimes... She was pulling 4-6, but no more! 2-4, depending on the night... I wish I had suggestions, but I just don't know. I'm guessing LO is on solids? Maybe more of those in the evening would help to get her to sleep in one longer stretch at least for part of the night?
Yes, she's a challenging sleeper to say the least. She just went from 8-12 times per night to 4-8, so that's at least something.

She's on solids, but like most her age she doesn't eat a whole lot despite the amount we try to give her. She has recently started sleeping as much as three whole hours the first stretch, which is great, but she goes to bed at 7, so I never see the benefit. LOL.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 AM

Hi ladies,

I never really checked this out because I have babe number two already. But I realize I fit in here, at least I think I do. I had my first when I was 33 and my second three months ago a month into being 37. I'm a full time mom, and I'm glad I waited until I was older and a bit wiser to have children with a man who makes a great dad.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:45 AM

you must tell us what the pink tank driving brigade is!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Hi everyone - I've got like two minutes before Aidan wakes up. He's one of those 45 minute nappers... doesn't give me time for anything just a quick bite to eat and shower.

Jocelyn - at my LLL meeting most of the woman there last month had toddlers and one asked the same thing you did about getting her little boy to not nurse all night. She co-sleeps so they suggested she put her arm between him and her breast, wear a shirt or even put him on the other side of her partner. So I noticed that Aidan does nuzzle most of the night if I'm very close but now I do these things too since I don't want to spend all night nursing and it's been working well. Maybe this works for you too?

So good luck to all with daycare issues. CJ - I like the option of two nannies although it could turn into some organizing h**l, but Ella already knows one nanny and you seem really happy with her so it'd be a shame to lose that and start again from zero. And if she's a student maybe it'd be only for one semester?

Julia - how are you recovering from your c-section? I remember those night sweats - ewww.... doesn't it suck when ds cries and cries? I'm exactly the same, DH is great he seems able to stay calm, I just get more and more agitated and then start crying myself - especially when I haven't had enough sleep. Oh and we used Gripe Water - and it worked well for us. Someone else suggested you try probiotics and I second this suggestion. I take two tablets of Solgar Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus and then put some powdered Acidophilus on yogurt sometime during the day. I've been doing since I've had a problem with yeast even before pregnancy. Well I went through pregnancy without any yeast infections and I've thus far avoided any thrush issues too.

Okay thanks everyone for why Aidan maybe turning away with my nipple still in his mouth. I've tried burping and switching sides and that seems to help. Now he's clamping his mouth shut on my nipple - OUCH!!

And the diaper bags was interesting too..

he's awake chow for now
Old 12-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
you must tell us what the pink tank driving brigade is!
It's from the femiism thread a few weeks ago in TAO. There is now a great thread in finding your tribe dedicated to feminism as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:00 PM

thanks all, for telling me what I needed to hear re: nannies. We are going to wait a week and try the search again. I really like to get things settled as quickly as possible, but sometimes that does mean I settle for less.. so hopefully we'll find our supernanny if we're patient.

elizabeth - you should be able to go through a few hours without pumping (for the party). Imagine it's a 4-5 hour stretch at night where your lo sleeps (I've heard that happens for some people, lol).. I don't know where the party is but they might have some place nicer than the bathroom you could use. Also, (not sure what pump you have) while I do have the double-electric pump, I REALLY like my little 1-breast handheld from medela for such situations- this is what I used in the field, on my trips, it's small, fast and easy to set up, I pump in the car, bathrooms, etc...

Wee little meltdown with DH this morning, which ended with me asking him to 'be nicer to me!' it goes both ways, it's just that we are in this 'who's more tired/stressed/hungry/whatever' phase and it HAS to stop. our anniversary is next tuesday I actually asked him to sleep in the other room last night, I hate to admit it but it drives me CRAZY to hear him snoring away when I'm up every one-two hours with ella. I can't get back to sleep, I just lie there thinking about how much rest he's getting and anticipating his whining the next day about still being tired. but I think it's mainly our lack of communication right now that's really bothering me (and some stress about my work at the moment - like turning a 1 hr lecture into a 15 minute talk).
Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
It's from the femiism thread a few weeks ago in TAO. There is now a great thread in finding your tribe dedicated to feminism as well.
Thanks to this, I just lost at least an hour of time I was supposed to be working, as I perused both those threads. Fascinating reading! FWIW, I've always considered myself to be a feminist. I think it's good I didn't get involved in either thread here, though, since it could become a major time suck, and I already spend too much time procrastinating on MDC....
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
yes upping the dose is best if possible. but did u see that pediatrics piece re zantac causing low bone density? what do u think? dd is on it too. i haven't read it yet. want to ask ped. i switched peds to one who is on vacation
No - crap... Do you have a link?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=rock_dr;9943055]
elizabeth - you should be able to go through a few hours without pumping (for the party). Imagine it's a 4-5 hour stretch at night where your lo sleeps (I've heard that happens for some people, lol).. I don't know where the party is but they might have some place nicer than the bathroom you could use. Also, (not sure what pump you have) while I do have the double-electric pump, I REALLY like my little 1-breast handheld from medela for such situations- this is what I used in the field, on my trips, it's small, fast and easy to set up, I pump in the car, bathrooms, etc...

I can't get back to sleep, I just lie there thinking about how much rest he's getting and anticipating his whining the next day about still being tired. QUOTE]

Haven't even used the handhelds that came with the PIS I have... I'll try that today later maybe and see if I like it. I ended up with two or 3 because of all of the hospital pumping... All those kits they give you that are sterile - I have lots of extra pieces!

DH complains about being tired too. He stays on the computer doing nothing after we go to sleep (I go to sleep with her), sleeps a solid 7-8 hours and then complains about being tired, too. His only waking is maybe me asking him to snuggle with her while I go to the bathroom at 3 am. Boys!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
DH complains about being tired too. He stays on the computer doing nothing after we go to sleep (I go to sleep with her), sleeps a solid 7-8 hours and then complains about being tired, too. His only waking is maybe me asking him to snuggle with her while I go to the bathroom at 3 am. Boys!
We had a major argument about this once. DH generally gets up with Willa in the morning so that I can grab an extra 30-45 minutes of sleep, which is great. So, one morning she got up earlier than normal, around 5:45 (that's now starting to be close to her normal time, sadly, but at that point she was usually sleeping until 7 or later). DH had gone to bed early, at like 9:30. I had stayed up much later - my own fault - and also got up twice during the night to feed DD. After the fourth time that morning of hearing DH sigh and go on and on about how tired he was and how hard Willa made it for him by waking up so early (come on! He STILL got 8 hours sleep, and more sleep than I did) I finally said I didn't want to hear about it any more. He got all hurt and touchy and said that then I could no longer complain about lack of sleep either, ever. :
As you said, I think boys sometimes just don't get it....
Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
Also, (not sure what pump you have) while I do have the double-electric pump, I REALLY like my little 1-breast handheld from medela for such situations- this is what I used in the field, on my trips, it's small, fast and easy to set up, I pump in the car, bathrooms, etc...
Do you find that the hand-held is effective enough at getting milk out? I have a couple situations next week when I'll have to pump when out and about (before now I've always just pumped in my own home or somewhere else with a lot of privacy). On Monday I'll be downtown at a couple different forums, and will probably have to pump twice. My guess is that I'll need to use a public restroom, since I can't imagine where else I'll find. :
I need to think through how I'll store the milk, but I thought I'd probably just bring that little PIS cooler with me and put the milk in there. I've never used it with the battery pack, but I guess I should get it set up for that.
Then on Thursday I'll be traveling for my first overnight work trip. I think I can keep it to just over 24 hours, but it'll still be complicated dealing with pumping while out and about and on the road, and storing/traveling with all that breastmilk and keeping it cool.
I was assuming I'd just bring the PIS on both occasions (and that's all I have right now), but it is a pain in terms of being so bulky. Should I consider a hand-held? I just assumed they were a lot slower and less efficient at getting milk out.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
I was assuming I'd just bring the PIS on both occasions (and that's all I have right now), but it is a pain in terms of being so bulky. Should I consider a hand-held? I just assumed they were a lot slower and less efficient at getting milk out.
I honestly haven't had much luck with the manual pumps. I've just taken my PISA and pumped in the car (had to do that at two conferences already, in a cold car with some parking attendant perv watching- ew!). I also have batteries in my bag, just in case.

But- here's the worst. DH FORGOT TO PUT MY PUMP IN THE CAR YESTERDAY!!! Now, honestly, I'm not mad at him about it- we have a clear division of responsibility, and he had to scrape ice off my car yesterday (new chore, threw everything in a tailspin). In any event, I had to manually express while at work yesterday. I only got 4 oz the entire day. Well, probably more than that, but that's all I could actually get in the bottle. I think I sprayed some in the floor of the spare office where I pump. Oops.

I don't think I'd try just doing manual expression (without a pump, I mean) anyplace where making a mess was a problem. That's what Dr. Sears' wife did for years, apparently. She had mad skillz, that lady, because I felt like a shower head at a Best Western, spraying everywhere but the intended target. :
Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
Do you find that the hand-held is effective enough at getting milk out?
for me it is but as Rachel said I bet it depends on the person (and yeah, manual expression without a pump? not for me!)

It's slower in the sense that it's one boob at a time, but when I look at the time it takes me to get the PIS backpack out, plug it in, put on the hands-free bra, configure the horns, turn her on, etc., I think it's only a few minutes difference in time. I usually pump more often in shorter session with the manual, so may be getting more fore milk, though I never noticed any problems for ella...
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 AM

dh and i had that same tension this week - who's more tired -- who has the harder job, at home or at work...it's a no win game.

my lc said some women have as much luck with the isis manual as with a medela elec. haven't tried it myself.

dd is screaming bloody murder right now. we are out of town. it is totally freaking me out. this is like the worst ever, except after her shots, when at least i knew what it was.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
dd is screaming bloody murder right now. we are out of town. it is totally freaking me out. this is like the worst ever, except after her shots, when at least i knew what it was.
I have a hard time with that too. I hope it gets better.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:48 AM

Rachel, dang, you played a lot of instruments! I guess I did too when I was younger, but eventually had to focus on one (obviously the violin). Piano was much more difficult for me for some reason. My mom is a pianist and wouldn't let me quit for the longest time until one day, while working on a Beethoven Sonata and having my umpteenth temper tantrum about the first few lines, I pounded on her baby grand, broke a string, and was sent to my room. She finally let me quit.

I'm exhausted today... last two days have been cry-fests for DS, and with no known reason. Today's been better... I feel like he's sleeping all night in preparation for keeping us up! Or maybe we'll escape a fuss-fest tonight. Either way, it's definitely a challenge learning how to keep my cool while he screams. Had an emergency session with my therapist about it today! DH came too for half of it. I feel a lot calmer about things now but still dread those crying jags. I think there are subconscious parts of me that think that he's being hurt, or something, and I have to convince myself that he's safe, he's just fussy. It's tough.

But he's sleeping now, so this is my opportunity to do the same! Night, Julia
Old 12-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Ok, it's the next day now... and I've discovered something: this baby just wants his mama to hold him! Duh! DH and I decided to take turns last night when he woke up (unless he was hungry, that's all me ), and every time it was me, I was able to soothe him with my voice, with rocking, with comfort nursing, or just by lying next to him. Every time I tried to put him down, no matter how asleep I thought he was, within minutes he was awake and starting to cry. (With the exception of two 1/2 hour naps.) DH's "turn" with him resulted in almost 2 hours of fussing/crying but he dealt with it in order to let me sleep.

What I'm saying is, DH and I have realized that we're going to be a cosleeping, babywearing family after all.

I read somewhere that babies with traumatic births tend to want to be held a lot more (they used the term "high-needs" which I think is unfair to Oliver cuz really, wanting to be held is perfectly reasonable, and seems like the only need at issue). I wonder if he's still processing his birth... does that sound silly? So last night I just rocked him and talked to him about the whole thing, how I knew it didn't go how we planned and it must've been really scary for him, etc. Then, all night, he just wanted to be by me. Or maybe he always did and I'm just noticing it cuz I'm letting go of my fear of the crying and really bonding with him now. Either way, it feels great.

So he's asleep on my chest in my kangaroo pouch which I got out for the first time (wanted to heal from my C-section first) and the crying stopped immediately and he passed out. He's right against where my heart is, so he can hear it beat. And it's a hands-free baby device! I can type! Drinking coffee is a little tricky though Maybe I'll switch back to iced, I don't want to spill hot coffee on his little head. I'm not too graceful with the liquids these days.

Now I'm just wondering how to do the cosleeping thing... I love our bed and don't want to get another one but it's only a queen and DH and I don't fit well on it with the cosleeper snugglie thing in the middle but don't feel like it's safe for Ollie without it. So we were gonna sidecar the crib to my side of the bed but it virtually traps me on the bed, cuz it's so huge. Now I'm not sure what we're gonna do, but I'm just so happy that DH came around about cosleeping cuz it feels so wrong to put Oliver all the way across the room in the cosleeper, and he hates it too. Yay!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Grace - you are SO where we were! We weren't planning to co-sleep... Now we have a king size and I'm shopping for edge guards... She is just so much happier with me close and then we can both sleep! Co-sleeper wouldn't work for me - she wants to be touching me - I've just now gotten her to accept being against the outside of my arm for part of the night rather than being held laying down. I think it took Isabella a while to process her birth, too. I'm sure it's hard for them too.

Edit to say that I'm using the Moby wrap almost daily since she wants to be held and will only nap well if I'm holding her... I didn't plan on a wrap at all, but we love it. For coffee - use a travel mug. I read somewhere to always use one with hot liquids around babies - that's a common cause of burns in infants.

CJ - I'm SO freaked about my milk stash!!! I defrosted one for tonight's trip and it tastes funny. Can't tell if it's bad or what, because I know defrosted milk will taste differently. Our LC said it shouldn't taste "soapy", but I swear I don't know whether it tastes soapy to me or just off. Not like spoiled, but off... Definitely not like fresh. Damnit!

Pie - sorry Lorelai is screaming... I'm so freaked about going out of town tonight - we'll see....

Last night she slept from 9:30-3:00, 3:30-6:00, and 6:20-8:30. I feel RESTED!!! And I finally didn't have insomnia.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:39 PM

I hope the milk is ok Elizabeth!

Grace - sounds like your momma instincts are right on (oh, and we broke down and got a king bed too, which now takes up the entire bedroom).

Pie - is she doing better now? I hope the trip was nice anyway!

so, it takes a whole day to get the three of us ready to leave town. ugh. can't wait to land in SF and just BE there.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:46 PM

It's not - my whole stash is garbage. : Definitely bad - defrosted another bag and DH spit it out when he tasted it. Man this sucks. It was over a month's worth of pumping.

My LC was like, oh don't worry about it, that's so rare... Figures that no part of bfing can be easy for me.

So, in detail, how are you treating yours? I am going to have to start over. Thank God I saved enough fresh for tonight just in case. I only have 7 oz, not the 9 I planned on, but we won't be gone more than 4 hours.

Our king-sized bed fills our room too. Barely enough room to walk around and for small nightstands on each side.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:48 PM

Julia - sounds like you figured it out pretty quickly! I have to admit that I was a bit reluctant when I was pregnant about the whole co-sleeping thing. We bought an Arm's Reach Sleigh Co-Sleeper and had it shipped all the way over here (super expensive since it's wood). Well Aidan has slept in it a handful of times, he prefers to be up close and touching. I hate the fact the co-sleeper has a ledge and I have to reach down to get Aidan. Sorry but he was 18 lbs at 10 weeks so he's big and too heavy for my measly muscles.

We have a queen size bed too. We use the co-sleeper as a rail, put my boppy pillow against the ledge and then Aidan and then me. This is the way we figured out that took the least amount of space. Putting the boppy around Aidan in the middle left us with NO space at all. I'm sort of trapped by the co-sleeper too but I scoot down and off the bed at the bottom. Ahhh well... it's worth it because I love sleeping with Aidan. And I can't complain, I feel pretty well rested even with him waking and nursing during the night.-

Wow - Elizabeth sorry about your stash. I've been sooo lazy about pumping since I don't know when I'll be going back to work. I do want to go get a massage sometime soon and leave Aidan with DH. Pumping really makes me feel like moooing... it's feels so bovine.

I'm worried about traveling for Christmas... it will be our first time on an airplane with Aidan... and then all the packing... arrgg..

Oh we have a Gypsymama wrap and I just ordered an Ergo - I've heard really good things about the Ergo. Aidan doesn't like the cradle hold anymore he wants to be upright. We've also got a Hotsling but I haven't used it much since I find it kinda uncomfortable.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Oh - another thing... about careers...

I had one and now I guess I don't. I worked so hard to get ahead for a long time. Before getting pregnant I was already feeling burnt. So the plan was we'd start a family and I'd stay home. Well it's tough, in fact tougher than I expected. Mostly because of my own issues, of course. I'm use to being 'productive' and being at home doesn't quite feel productive. Also I don't have my own income for the first time in my adult life and that has been a real adjustment. Fortunately DH doesn't have the same hang ups as I do otherwise we'd really be in trouble.

I'm grateful that at least I don't have all the problems regarding figuring out day care, at least not yet. Oh and because of where I am in my career I have this wonderful option to do consulting at companies for a few weeks or months without having too much commitment so if I start to go stir crazy at home I always have this possibility. But for now I'm at home with Aidan trying to enjoy this time as much as possible. Leaving the house everyday is a must!!
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM

rach. why not just leave the pump at work? sorry if stupid question.

elizabeth. such a disaster on your milk, i can't get over it.

dd is better - gave her ibuprofen -musta been teething pain.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Pumping really makes me feel like moooing... it's feels so bovine.
I had to laugh at this - "bovine" is the exact word I used the first time I used the PIS, especially with the hands-free bra and double pump. I felt like a cow.
I've made my peace with it now, though, and am just grateful I can pump without too much difficulty and get a decent amount. And that my frozen milk seems to work! to those of you having to throw out pumped milk. I can't even imagine. It takes so much work to do, I hate even throwing out an ounce or two. If I had to throw out my current stash - which must be over 100 oz by now - I think I'd start sobbing.

Quote:
I'm worried about traveling for Christmas... it will be our first time on an airplane with Aidan... and then all the packing... arrgg..
Oh we have a Gypsymama wrap and I just ordered an Ergo - I've heard really good things about the Ergo. Aidan doesn't like the cradle hold anymore he wants to be upright. We've also got a Hotsling but I haven't used it much since I find it kinda uncomfortable.
Good luck with the traveling. I was super worried the first time I went with Willa, but in the end she did really well. I've heard a lot of mothers since say it only gets harder once they're crawling/walking and hate being strapped in - The infant stage isn't quite as bad. And if he does cry.... don't worry in the slightest about the other passengers. I feel nothing but sympathy for mamas with crying babies on flights, and I think most people know you're doing everything you can to calm your babe.
I *love* our Ergo, and I've actually found that to be the best thing for flying too. A lot of flight attendants make you take your LO out of the sling/wrap during takeoff and landing, which can be a huge pain if they're napping and you don't want to wake them up. With the ergo, I found I can just unclip the shoulder straps, slip them off my shoulders, and Willa (if she's asleep) never even knows anything has happened. As soon as we take off I put them back on again and she sleeps through it all.

So, am I the only mama in this thread who isn't cosleeping? I like the idea of it in theory, but I feel like our queen is barely big enough for DH and me - both of us like our space and w'ere both pretty restless/active sleepers. The few times I've had Willa in bed with me, I couldn't sleep since I was worried moving around would wake her up. Add to that that she's an incredibly noisy/active sleeper and it just didn't seem like it could work. Plus, I think both DH and I kind of like having the bed still as *our* space. We often bring her in with us in the morning, though. Sometimes she'll fall back asleep, more often she won't, but it's fun to all snuggle together.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:46 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Oh - another thing... about careers...

I had one and now I guess I don't. I worked so hard to get ahead for a long time. Before getting pregnant I was already feeling burnt. So the plan was we'd start a family and I'd stay home. Well it's tough, in fact tougher than I expected. Mostly because of my own issues, of course. I'm use to being 'productive' and being at home doesn't quite feel productive. Also I don't have my own income for the first time in my adult life and that has been a real adjustment. Fortunately DH doesn't have the same hang ups as I do otherwise we'd really be in trouble.

I'm grateful that at least I don't have all the problems regarding figuring out day care, at least not yet. Oh and because of where I am in my career I have this wonderful option to do consulting at companies for a few weeks or months without having too much commitment so if I start to go stir crazy at home I always have this possibility. But for now I'm at home with Aidan trying to enjoy this time as much as possible. Leaving the house everyday is a must!!
I've come to the realization that no solution is perfect, when it comes to careers and kids. For a while, I was enjoying my maternity leave so much that I started to wonder if it could be financially possible for me to stay home. It wasn't, but I also realized by the end of my 4 1/2 month leave that I wouldn't be happy as a fulltime SAHM, for the same reasons you mention you say it's tough - I'm used to being productive, and earning money, and getting affirmation that what I'm doing is meaningful in an arena outside the home, and using a different part of my brain than i can when I'm with Willa all day. But at the same time, it's excruciating to be away from her as much as I am, and have someone else look after, and I have huge guilt over abandoning her. I think maybe I'd be happier if I could scale back to part-time (I still don't know if this is a possibility, but I might at least broach the subject with my editors), but my friends who have part-time jobs say that's hard too - they feel like they're stretched too thin both at home and at work, and their careers have suffered from being on a "mommy track."
I do have a couple friends doing freelance consulting like you mention, hazieluna, and they've been pretty happy with that. They tend to work three days a week, from home (but with someone to help look after their LOs while they're working), and I think they feel like it gives them at least some outlet to do some more traditional "work."
Honestly, though, I think there may be a few people who are totally happy in their roles either as full-time SAHMs, or in high-powered careers where they rarely get to see their kids, but I think most mother end up pretty conflicted, whatever route they choose...
Old 12-09-2007, 02:55 AM

OK, time for my books...

Gas: DS is very gassy, I'm surprised how often I have to burp him while BF. He spits up a bit, nothing remarkable, or so I thought, but this morning I thought he might be sick because he had 2 huge forceful spit ups right after he woke up crying. He wasn't though, which was good because DH was away for the day doing Toastmasters stuff. I'll have to look into oversupply. I have given up dairy , and that seems to have cut down on the painful gas he would have, mostly in the morning...he'd be fine after he pooped. But he still seems a bit gassy at times, but at least it doesn't seem painful.

DS also has gotten very fussy before going to sleep. We've been chalking it up to teething, but reflux/oversupply makes more sense. It starts when I put him on the bed to nurse. He's gotten into a thing (started around Thanksgiving) about wanting to switch sides/suck this one, now that one (we almost always side-lie nurse otherwise he gets too distracted) until he finally settles down; he even refuses the nipple (he almost always nurses to sleep unless in the car); I've started getting by this by rocking him to relax, or distracting him with a lullaby toy. We went through the "one side, now the other side" phase earlier (when he was much lighter, so it was easier to switch sides when he was on the pillow!) when he was dissatisfied with diminished let-down in the late afternoon/early evening, but this seems different. I decided to "listen to the baby" - I was thinking maybe he needed more foremilk? He's gaining fine.... over 16 pounds (doubled birthweight) at 3-1/2 months! Hmmm...

Career: I have never had a career, just jobs. Early on last year, I didn't like my job and decided to become certified as a teacher, figuring that baby plans were still a way off...DH had his own business and we could barely support ourselves much less a baby as well! Well, I enrolled in a program and was planning to get a teaching job starting Aug. 2007 (teaching a year completes your certification process), but whoops, look what I got in August instead? But I have to finish my certification course within 3 years of enrolling, which means I have to teach next year or else take student teaching, which is 12 or 16 weeks and costs more money, and I don't get paid.

Right now I'm SAHM but feel guilty for not looking for a job, but am loving the time I spend with DS - even lying with him as he naps for 45 minutes at a time! I left that job I didn't like when I found out I was pregnant and went to be a nanny, and that job ended before I gave birth. I did feel guilty about DH having to find a job and quit on his company, but no longer. I love the man dearly (and I hear you on the sleep resentment when he stays up all hours on the computer!), I don't feel he made much of a success of his business. He had 4 years.

Whew. I need to watch my parentheticals. And learn how to do do quick, drive-by posts. If you made it all the way through, have a cookie!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Just popping in to say...
Dee - thinking about you and Mathilde. Hoping things are better and that you have time to lurk on MDC (even if you don't have time to post)
Emily thanks for thinking of me! Yes I've been lurking but not posting. I haven't figured out how to do anything hands-free yet, and lots of these discussions seem so distant from what I'm dealing with right now that I get overwhelmed just thinking about the near future. From Monday to Friday, Mathilde lost almost 1/2 a pound (same scale) on a combo of pumped breastmilk and soy formula and was diagnosed with "failure to thrive." The current hypothesis is that she's intolerant of cow's milk proteins in my milk and the first formula we gave her. I cut dairy out of my diet last week but it apparently takes a while to clear the body, up to 2 weeks. So she's on fancy hydrolyzed soy protein formula ($26 a can!) and I've been pumping every 3 hours to keep up my supply. She seems to be doing a lot better but I'm so exhausted from the constant pumping and bottle feeding. I'm lucky that she'll let me feed her expressed breastmilk and she'll take pretty much any nipple, but I'm worried that the bottles & pacis are ruining her latch. I love the BreastFlow bottles though - they seem to be a good mimic of the breast, complete w/ letdown. Dr. Browns bottles were a disaster. She's 4 weeks old today but life's still like it was during the first couple weeks, with 5-6 hours (tops!) sleep spread over 24 hours. My parents have been staying w/ us over 3 weeks now and tension b/w them and DH is getting harder to deal with, but I still need all of them. On a positive note, my nips are almost healed and DH is basically done w/ school so he's been more involved.

Cornpicker thanks for the info on nursing from 1 breast. Sounds like you had a difficult, painful time with it. I don't think my funky nipple will be that big of a challenge, as long as she doesn't latch on to the funky part (ouch!). It's good to know that one breast can compensate for the other though, and that the amount you get out of each can vary. I have talked to an LC about it and she doesn't recommend nipple shields but I'll probably use them to get back into BFing anyway. Thanks for the encouragement to stick with it - I haven't actually fed her from my breast in a couple weeks but I'm looking forward to it being better now that she has a little more neck control and my nips have hopefully toughened up a little.

Elizabeth I can't believe your milk stash is ruined too! Maybe Emily's scalding method would work for you too? I wanted to say thanks for being an inspiration for breastfeeding too - you've been through so much, with the preemie and triple feedings and thrush and mastitis and still stick with it. I hope it's getting easier for you.

Julia glad to see you're recovering from the c-section so well and figuring out little Ollie.

Cosleeping - as I suspected, I can't sleep well with the baby in the bed. I'm too worried about suffocating her b/c we don't have an ideal setup. it's a king size bed but the Select Comfort kind w/ 2 air chambers. Only prob is a rut in the middle b/w the chambers that she could (and did) roll into. Can't figure out how to make it level, esp since the 2 sides have different firmnesses. She's been sleeping in her swing mostly, or on my chest while I try to stay awake on the couch. We're moving the pack n play into the bedroom tonite, hopefully. Maybe I'll change my mind once I (finally) learn to nurse laying down, but it still seems unsafe under my conditions.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Elizabeth - Hey, it is me (Emily) who has the lipase problem, not CJ. So if you want to read about my methods and procedures you should be able to find them by clicking on my user name and then looking at my recent posts. Sorry you are having the same problem. It is horrible to have to toss all of that milk. However, (if you haven't tossed already), you should know that excess lipase is not harmful. The only "bad" thing about it is the smell & taste. However, some babies have no problem with it (so if your baby drinks it, no worries. Benjamin pitched a fit when I tried to give it to him). If your abby does object, you can also look into donating the milk to a milk bank. Since the banks combine milk from different donors, your milk will be added to a big batch and mixed in, in this way the lipase taste will be diluted and isn't a problem.

Becky - You asked about daycare...
Well, 2 weeks down and I think Benjamin is settling in. He is taking naps and doing well with his bottles (now that I am scalding my milk). I am pretty sure he spends a lot of time in the swing, but I am okay with that (he loooooves his swing at home and I limit his time in it here, but he would gladly spend almost all day in it if I let him). I also think that daycare will become a more exciting/fun place for him as he matures over the next few months and begins being able to move about (even if it is just sitting & reaching) and becomes interested in other kids.
Life is super duper stressful and tough though now that I am balancing work and being a mom. I had everything "down" before I went back to work and I wasn't that concerned about whether or when stuff got done (or whether/when I slept), but now....ack.
Also, Benjamin is TOTALLY sick right now. We both started getting a cold over a week ago (exactly 5 days after he started daycare fulltime *sigh*). I recovered my from cold in 2/3 days. However, Benjamin was still sick (and had started coughing). Thursday night, right after I put him to bed, he started moaning and whimpering. An hour later he was screaming. Temp was normal, but I gave him Motrin anyway (thinking maybe he was teething on top of having a cold). We nursed all night long (because when he wasn't nursing he was screaming). I rechecked his temp at 7AM on Friday and it was 101.9. Called doctor and got in to see her. Turns out he has an ear infection. He is on antibiotics now and is still so sick. He has actually lost his voice (tries to cry & scream, but only little squawks come out...pitiful) and still has a fever. My poor baby. This completely breaks my heart. I feel horrible that he is sick (and it has retriggered my daycare guilt). I really cannot deal with a whole year (or more!) like this.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:08 AM

Oh yeah the reason we went to the ped Fri was to see if she's tongue-tied. She's not, but we got a referral to a speech therapist to examine her mouth and give us exercises to help her latch & prevent nipple damage.

Some pics!

Face seen too often

Sweet Christmas baby

Chillin after bathtime

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!

User Tag List