Forum Jump: 

#181 of 528 Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
acp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
I have found that pumping is something that improves with practice.
This was very true for me. I remember being really scared/confused in the beginning because I was getting so little. I couldn't figure out why, because I certainly seemed to have ample supply. one thing that helped that in retrospect should have seemed obvious but wasn't, was that I really needed to do what I could to make sure let down happened, otherwise I barely got anything.
I'm not sure what kind of pump you have, but with my PIS it starts with a "quick" mode that continues for two minutes to stimulate let-down before automatically switching over to a slower speed for really pumping. If I let down sooner I can press a button to speed that process. I assumed if milk was coming out, i shoudl press the button, when that wasn't the case. Now, I almost always let it go for the full two minutes of the stimulation mode, and sometimes I even turn it off and back on again if I still haven't really gotten letdown (I feel it as a tightening sensation in my boobs) by the time it switches over. Sometimes, too, the suction thing-y (not sure what it's called that goes over the nipple) just needs to be repositioned. If I'm busy with something else, like earlier today when I was on the computer, and feel let-down, I just assume it's all going ok. Instead, I looked down about 5 minutes into it and saw I wasn't getting a thing from my left boob. I repositioned the device so that it was really sucking my nipple effectively, and promptly got 3 oz.
For me, when it's working well, it comes very quickly, and is very different from those early sessions when I hadn't really figured it out and barely got 1/2 an ounce. How much I get depends on the time of day and whether I'm doing it as an additional session (which I really only do in the morning if I have a lot of excess milk. If I were to pump right now, in the evening, after just nursing Willa, i'd hardly get a thing) or if I'm doing it to replace a nursing session. If I'm replacing one (and keep in mind I usually go 3 1/2 to 4 hours between nursing or pumping, and Willa eat a lot at one go) I get anywhere from 5-10 oz total, and usually around 8 oz, which happens to be about as much as she often eats at a time. But I think she's a really big guzzler and likes to eat a lot at one session. My friend who has a 7 1/2 month old has never gotten more than 3-4 oz at a time pumping, even when she was at work, but that was plenty since her daughter tended to eat less. If she pumped less during the day than her daughter ate at day care, she'd try and make it up with an extra pumping session at night or in the morning.

That's probably more detail than you needed, but I find it's one of those things that (unlike nursing) isn't terribly natural and can't take a while to find the groove in. So don't get discouraged. It really will get better!

We ended up taking Willa in to the doctor today despite the fact that her fever was better. She just hasn't been herself all day. It looks like she has a virus, but nothing terribly serious. Still, I'm very sad to see my little girl sick for the first time....
#182 of 528 Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 PM

I'm sorry Willa's not feeling well!

Thanks for the detail. Is "PIS" Pump In Style? I have that, the Medela backpack pump. I looked after reading yours and Emily's posts and had not realized there are TWO buttons... one says Min /Max and is like a volume button, and one has four settings on it, I guess it's speed? I dont know. Maybe I need to move the positioning around too.

I think my boy just eats a lot when I feed him! Sometimes it seems like it's coming really fast when he feeds and he makes gurgling sounds and clamps down... the LC at the hospital did tell me the baby is more effective than the pump at getting milk, or else I'd worry my son is starving!

Emily your post made sense... maybe I need to try to pump after his first feeding of the a.m. He had already had a lot of nursing sessions when I pumped, I just figured that since I was leaking I must be engorged

DS has had a very mild version of his usually were-baby cry-fest since DH has had him in the sling all night instead of in the papasan chair across the room. He is finally listening to me about the babywearing. We got a cool sling from Target that you can fasten him into with a little velcro seatbelt thing... he seems more secure in it. It cut down on the crying by 50% and I got a nap
#183 of 528 Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 PM

Oh... I can never tell when "let-down" happens... I assume it does cuz Ollie eats well but I can't tell.
#184 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Oh... I can never tell when "let-down" happens... I assume it does cuz Ollie eats well but I can't tell.
Wow. That is so foreign to me I am almost envious. I still feel it each and every time, unless I am sleeping.

We are going to do night weaning soon - I think we are starting with Dr. Jay Gordon's method tonight and I am nervous.
#185 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylecoj View Post
Wow. That is so foreign to me I am almost envious. I still feel it each and every time, unless I am sleeping.

We are going to do night weaning soon - I think we are starting with Dr. Jay Gordon's method tonight and I am nervous.
What does it feel like for you?

GL with night-weaning, keep us posted!

Wow I'm getting better at typing 1-handed already!
#186 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:

i think his method sounds gentle. i'll be following your progress...
#187 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 AM

Emily & acp sorry your babes are sick. Emily it must be awful to both be sick at the same time. acp I'm glad Willa's fever came down.

Julia
I'm still pumping on low w/ my PIS advanced but I usually get 3 oz. I can't feel let down either but I can see it happen. Glad the sling is working for you - I just got the Moby going today and was amazed that I could wash bottles w/ her in it.

Pie good luck on your interview!

Jocelyn good luck on beginning night weaning.

Today has been an emotional roller coaster. Starting Friday DD was on straight formula for 18 hours & felt 100% better - she was a different baby. The next 24 hours I reintroduced BM slowly (1/3, then 1/2, then 2/3 mixed w/ formula) and her condition deteriorated. Today she's been on pure BM and she's hurting again w/stomach cramps & hasn't pooped since Saturday. I've cried and cried over the fact that stuff made of corn syrup solids and vegetable oil is better for my baby than what I make for her. I've mourned our BFing relationship. I realize that I want what's best for her and it may not be my milk. Then I change my mind and want to persevere w/ BFing, to try another week dairy-free and exhaust all my options. Then I change my mind again and wonder if I'm forcing my agenda and desires (and BM) on DD instead of doing what's best for her. Ugh. Still no decision made. I've nursed from my breasts all day today and I've been crying through each session as if it's my last, because it might be. The indecision is killing me. I think we need to switch to formula, I just feel like such a failure to admit it. I don't want those feelings to spiral into PPD b/c I've been surprisingly OK despite the challenges and nothing being like I expected it to be.

Emily thanks for the suggestions and hugs. Yes they made me cry. You're a brave woman to volunteer for colicky-baby duty - it makes regular fussiness look like laughing an cooing. It's so hard to see her screaming in pain and not be able to help, kinda like you must feel now that Benjamin is sick. DD has her 1 month checkup tomorrow morning. Guess we'll check her weight and make decisions from there.

Sorry this is so disjointed and rambling. Sorry to always be a downer too.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#188 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
I've cried and cried over the fact that stuff made of corn syrup solids and vegetable oil is better for my baby than what I make for her. I've mourned our BFing relationship. I realize that I want what's best for her and it may not be my milk.
I can't imagine how that feels! It's sooooo not your fault though! I'm sorry it's been like this. Thanks for the recommendation for the moby wrap... DH and I were discussing it and decided after reading that to get one. DH put him in the sling last night and it cut down on the fussiness by 50%. Whew! Anyhow please don't worry about being a "downer", and post however much you need to about this. We're here to support you and I wonder how you're doing when I don't hear from you!
#189 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Oh Dee,

I haven't had my baby yet, but I thought I would pop over here and ask your opinion on something.
This probably sounds silly, but I hate buying something that ends up being totally impractical. Any recommendations on diaper bags, especially for those of us cloth-diapering?
I don't want to do a diaper back pack, because I think it will be too much if I am baby-wearing.
Also, keep in mind that I am not a girly-girl and my DH will be using this too, so nothing flowery.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#190 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM
acp

I cloth diaper, and I've been pretty happy with this bag.
Honestly, though, I don't find the needs in diaper bags are all that different for CD'ers and sposie-users. I guess if I were going to be away all day and needed 6 or 7 cloth dipes with me, I might not be able to fit them in here, but we've never encountered that situation, and when I'm traveling by plane I tend to bring disposables to the airport just to minimize the hassles. In this I can easily pack a few cloth dipes, a disposable or two for backup (though I've never needed them), a small wet bag to put used dipes in, and all the other stuff I need. That stuff (extra outfits, burp cloths, a blanket when she was a newborn, toys, etc) usually takes up more room than the diapers, especially now that she's older and I tend to pack more toys.
The one negative I'll say about this is that it's clearly designed for use with a stroller (with which it works very well) and I almost never used the stroller. It can be kind of a pain to have it over a shoulder when I'm wearing Willa, but I don't think there's any way to get around with any diaper bag, that other than using a backpack or a bag specifically designed for babywearing, like the pack that zips onto the ergo.
#191 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Aimee - We do not CD, but we have THIS diaper bag. It is pretty perfect for us (and DH will actually carry it, which was huge). One thing you might want to know is that it does not come with a changing pad, so you will have to buy a separate one.

Another thing you might want to keep in mid is that many moms have 2 diaper bags. One for long trips away from home (which is what our diaper bag is geared toward) and a smaller one for quick trips. We actually only have the one bag, but we bought a portable changing pad that has a pocket for diapers, wipes and one change of clothing (I think we got ours at Target, DH picked it out, but it is similar to THIS) and I tote it along for quick trips (plus it fits in the diaper bag which is nice when you want to change the baby but don't want to lug the diaper bag into the bathroom).

Okay, just found ours...
HERE
#192 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Dee
Never ever feel badly for coming and venting. Sharing your concerns and troubles is way better than keeping them bottled up. One thing that irked the crap out of me when I was in the early postpartum stages was everyone coming up to me (or calling/emailing) and saying things like "you must be over the moon with joy", "isn't it wonderful", "I bet you are so happy", etc. Well guess what. I was NOT over the moon or happy and things were definitely NOT wonderful. I was tired, my birth had freaked me out, my life was completely upside down, I was scared I had made a huge mistake, I didn't "love" my baby right away (it took me sometime to fall in love. I knew he was my responsibility and I would have never ever not met his needs or anyting, but it wasn't love at first sight. I was completely overwhelmed with the responsibility associated with caring for him), everyone else obviously loved being a parent way more than me, I wanted my old life back, I wanted life to be normal again, and so on. I was a mess. And I don't even think it was PPD (because I never felt depressed, despite being teary and emotional), I was just freaked out and felt a little bit trapped. Somewhere around week 6 it all started to turn around for me. Benjamin still screamed his head off and I was still a milk factory with no time or energy to do anything (seriously Dee, my house has not been cleaned even a little bit since Benjamin arrived. The kitchen is usable because we cook and clean at the same time, linens and laundry are done because the baby HAS to have clothes and spit up cloths, but the rest of the house is so gross it makes me want to die), but it just somehow started to feel managable, like it was the new normal.

Every mother has to do things differently. There is no one right or best way. Each one of us is different and our babies are unique. I think one of the biggest problems with MDC (and I love love LOVE it here, so I hope this isn't taken the wrong way) is that there is a lot of pressure to be a perfect, natural mama (B'feed, CD, natural childbirth, etc.) and while those are choices that should seriously be considered, they aren't always the best for the individual. Some mama's need medical intervention during birth, some mama's just can't deal with CDs, and some mama's need to use formula. Honestly, as long as you are making an informed and thoughtful choice, you are not doing the "wrong" thing. If Mathilde does better on formula, so be it. Some babies do. And just because Mathilde does better on formula now doesn't mean that she always will (you can try pumping and saving some milk to introduce to her later once her digestive system matures...some mama's use b'milk to mix with cereal once the babe starts solids). Take it one day at a time, realize nothing is forever, and trust yourself! You are doing a great job and Mathilde is so so lucky to have a wonderful thoughtful caring mama who is doing the very best she can. Love you sweetie!

BTW, I am pretty sure Benjamin was/is colicy. I just call it fussy because I hate the colic label (luckily my ped feels the same way). We had the ear piercing screaming, complete with legs drawn up, gassy, spitty uppy, just plain old unhappy, can't be comforted baby. It sucked and was so hard. I really felt like I was doing something wrong as a parent to have such a child. I hated going out in public because I would see all of these other babies just happily strolling along with their mama's awake and happy. Benjamin had 2 basic modes, asleep and fussing. Every so often we would get a glimpse of quiet alert baby, but those times were very brief (espeically during the first 11 weeks). Life was so fussy and crappy that I made up a fussy baby song and would basically sing it to Benjamin all day ("Fussy fussy baby, who's a fussy baby? Your my fussy baby. Fussy fussy baby. Benjamin's a fussy baby...")Around week 12 he started brightening up and having good hours(rather than a few good minutes), now (at 14 weeks) we actually have good DAYS (no fussy baby song)! It is amazing.
#193 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
[B]
Today has been an emotional roller coaster. Starting Friday DD was on straight formula for 18 hours & felt 100% better - she was a different baby. The next 24 hours I reintroduced BM slowly (1/3, then 1/2, then 2/3 mixed w/ formula) and her condition deteriorated. Today she's been on pure BM and she's hurting again w/stomach cramps & hasn't pooped since Saturday. I've cried and cried over the fact that stuff made of corn syrup solids and vegetable oil is better for my baby than what I make for her. I've mourned our BFing relationship. I realize that I want what's best for her and it may not be my milk. Then I change my mind and want to persevere w/ BFing, to try another week dairy-free and exhaust all my options. Then I change my mind again and wonder if I'm forcing my agenda and desires (and BM) on DD instead of doing what's best for her. Ugh. Still no decision made. I've nursed from my breasts all day today and I've been crying through each session as if it's my last, because it might be. The indecision is killing me. I think we need to switch to formula, I just feel like such a failure to admit it. I don't want those feelings to spiral into PPD b/c I've been surprisingly OK despite the challenges and nothing being like I expected it to be.
Oh Dee, this is sooo sad. I'm so sorry for you.

I don't have a lot of advice, just hugs. Hang in there and do what you need.
I haven't read every single post here, but have you tried the Elimination Diet yet? I know some mamas have had a lot of success with that.
#194 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
What does it feel like for you?

GL with night-weaning, keep us posted!

Wow I'm getting better at typing 1-handed already!
It feels like pins and needles all over my boobs. It hurts! (Not bad, just enough ...)
#195 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 07:05 PM

So last night was terrible. Poor, poor dd. She was up almost all night crying and crying and crying and crying. I sang to her, rubbed her back, hugged her, told her I loved her and stroked her head. She was miserable. Nobody got any real sleep and I feel *awful* for imposing my own needs, BUT I know we need this. I can't remember words, I'm constantly spewing gobbledygook out my mouth and people are starting to look at me strangely when I speak.

But, it's very, very difficult so far.

That said, she was super bright and happy this morning, just like always, so that helps ease my mind.

Hopefully tonight will be better.
#196 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 08:06 PM
acp

Quote:
Every mother has to do things differently. There is no one right or best way. Each one of us is different and our babies are unique. I think one of the biggest problems with MDC (and I love love LOVE it here, so I hope this isn't taken the wrong way) is that there is a lot of pressure to be a perfect, natural mama (B'feed, CD, natural childbirth, etc.) and while those are choices that should seriously be considered, they aren't always the best for the individual.
THis is SO true, and I do think that sometimes coming on here can reinforce a false impression that everyone else is effortlessly doing things "perfectly," whatever that "natural" ideal is. And that's rarely the case, and certainly not always possible for each individual or each baby. After all, every baby and every parent is different and has unique circumstances, needs, temperament, etc, to deal with.
I have one friend who was SO determined to breastfeed, and it just didn't work out. Her baby had difficulty latching, despite LONG sessions with an LC, and also reacted badly to her milk. She put him on soy formula and he's been much happier. I know it's not how she envisioned feeding her baby, and it was pretty hard for her to let go of that vision she'd had, but in the end that was what worked best for her and her son and she's stopped looking back or stressing about it. I'm not saying that will necessarily be the case for you and Mathilde, just that it's ok if it is, and it's ok to let go of some of those things we plan for when we're still thinking of an idealized new baby scenario that doens't come to pass.

dctexan, it looks like we have the same bag . But it's funny, mine did come with a waterproof changing pad inside it. Maybe some have it and some don't? It's definitely useful!

Willa is still pretty sick - not as feverish but definitely not herself, and we've had two rough nights in a row. Luckily DH got up with her this morning at 6:45 and let me sleep in another hour. I'm heading out on my first overnight work trip on Thursday. I SO hope she's better by then....
#197 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Acp, I definitely hope Willa is better by then. Sick kids are never any fun. Good luck on your trip for work! Are you going to be taking her? (Sorry if you have already mentioned ... I don't always have time to read the entire post)
#198 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Dee
Never ever feel badly for coming and venting. Sharing your concerns and troubles is way better than keeping them bottled up. One thing that irked the crap out of me when I was in the early postpartum stages was everyone coming up to me (or calling/emailing) and saying things like "you must be over the moon with joy", "isn't it wonderful", "I bet you are so happy", etc. Well guess what. I was NOT over the moon or happy and things were definitely NOT wonderful. I was tired, my birth had freaked me out, my life was completely upside down, I was scared I had made a huge mistake, I didn't "love" my baby right away (it took me sometime to fall in love. I knew he was my responsibility and I would have never ever not met his needs or anyting, but it wasn't love at first sight. I was completely overwhelmed with the responsibility associated with caring for him), everyone else obviously loved being a parent way more than me, I wanted my old life back, I wanted life to be normal again, and so on. I was a mess. And I don't even think it was PPD (because I never felt depressed, despite being teary and emotional), I was just freaked out and felt a little bit trapped. Somewhere around week 6 it all started to turn around for me. Benjamin still screamed his head off and I was still a milk factory with no time or energy to do anything (seriously Dee, my house has not been cleaned even a little bit since Benjamin arrived. The kitchen is usable because we cook and clean at the same time, linens and laundry are done because the baby HAS to have clothes and spit up cloths, but the rest of the house is so gross it makes me want to die), but it just somehow started to feel managable, like it was the new normal.
Wow - I could have written this.

Dee - take care of yourself because you need to in order to take care of Matilde. I'm really sorry that breastfeeding isn't going well. I know that it's suppose to be better and all but most of our generation got formula and geez we're doing okay.

After my birth - since it was so DIFFERENT than I expected/planned I had a hard time letting go of how I had wanted things to go... you know at home in a pool and not at the hospital, on my back full of IVs and monitors and stuff... well my Mom said something like she didn't understand why I was upset since that was how most women give birth, it was a normal birth. For some reason that helped me accept the birth.

I've also have a fussy baby. Hard. Now at 3 months I'm understanding better what he needs and it's seems to be calming down. The wrap is a saviour and also my glider chair. I have spent hours rocking and singing (mostly made up songs along the lines of your Fussy baby song Emily).

Oh and Aidan's crying is very loud and horrible. I hear other babies crying and I laugh, like how can you take that seriously? My child makes sure you come running!!!
#199 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Jocelyn - sorry that night weaning is so rough on you! Seems like your little one is doing okay though so that's a relief. Does she nurse all night is that the problem?

Well we are on our way to being sick again... the whole family this time not just me. And we have to travel next week. I can handle feeling crappy but it's terrible watching Aidan suffer. He has the most pathetic little cough, it breaks my heart.
#200 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 PM

DIAPER BAGS AND BABYWEARING: i have found that with a double-shouldered front carrier, like the Bjorn or the Ergo, a backpack works best, but with my Maya Wrap over one shoulder, a shoulder bag is best. I have a bag by Frizzi that goes both ways. HTH, phillybama.
#201 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM

Thank you all for being so honest and caring. I don't know what I'd do without you! Not much time to update - must nap while DD finally sleeps. Her weight gain is OK but the ped wants her on formula. I was in tears in front of her (again) about it & she knows how important breastfeeding is/was to me. She said "it's a really hard decision so let me make it for you." Still tough. I feel like it's the right decision though, after seeing her scream in pain all day long. Doc never diagnosed it as colic but said she has reflux and cow's milk protein intolerance/allergy. She's barely slept, & is finally asleep in the Moby. I'll be pumping every 5-6 hours and freezing a stash for when Mathilde is older. Maybe in a couple weeks we'll try breastmilk again if I can maintain this dairy free diet. I wouldn't be so hard but time to shop and cook are nonexistant, as I'm sure you remember, so I've been living on egg sandwiches, ham sandwiches, and egg and ham sandwiches on sourdough. My parents left today so DH is happy to have the house back but I'm pretty upset that the help is gone. I know we need to work out baby-care and cleaning, etc. between the two of us before next semester starts, but I could still use more help. Sorry I don't have more time to reply to your wonderful replies, but they warmed my heart (and made me cry of course) and have helped me get through the day.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#202 of 528 Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM

hi i'm Sarah new to the forums!

i'm 33 and having my first baby <a boy>.. Benjamin is due March 20th!

i'm trying to research stuff to buy <the necessties> right now.. kinda frustrating.. just so many different brands and opinions lol and have to buy on a budget.. so at least i have 3 months to figure it out lol

look forward to chatting with everyone!
#203 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Jocelyn - sorry that night weaning is so rough on you! Seems like your little one is doing okay though so that's a relief. Does she nurse all night is that the problem?
Thanks. Yes. She needs to nurse EVERY TIME she wakes up, which is anywhere from 4-12 times per night depending on circumstances, and my career situation just won't allow a bumbling sleep deprived idiot to handle things all day.

Quote:
Well we are on our way to being sick again... the whole family this time not just me. And we have to travel next week. I can handle feeling crappy but it's terrible watching Aidan suffer. He has the most pathetic little cough, it breaks my heart.
Boo! Poor guy. I hate when DD is sick.
#204 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watergoblins View Post
hi i'm Sarah new to the forums!

i'm 33 and having my first baby <a boy>.. Benjamin is due March 20th!

i'm trying to research stuff to buy <the necessties> right now.. kinda frustrating.. just so many different brands and opinions lol and have to buy on a budget.. so at least i have 3 months to figure it out lol

look forward to chatting with everyone!
Welcome Sarah! You should check out this thread since it's women still expecting their first HERE. But of course you are more than welcome here too, I mean March is just around the corner.
#205 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Yes. She needs to nurse EVERY TIME she wakes up, which is anywhere from 4-12 times per night depending on circumstances, and my career situation just won't allow a bumbling sleep deprived idiot to handle things all day.
Wow! Last night we nursed pretty much every hour since Aidan is waking up every time he coughs or sneezes so I understand the bumbling sleep deprived idiot since today I'm right there with you! I can't imagine this being a regular night I just couldn't hack it. This morning he woke up as usual and was just off babbling and cooing and being so cute and really needing his morning attention - and I felt like my eyelids were pasted together, I just couldn't manage to open them!

Anyway all this to just say good luck and hopefully it will be a very quick transition!
#206 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 AM

Dee - I'm glad that you have made a decision so that now you have some direction. Put any guilt in the trash - seriously! Don't let your mind take you in the - what if, if only, I should have - route because it will drive you nuts! And I say this as I battle this myself. Seems motherhood is all about second guessing yourself.

Anyway I like your idea of pumping and trying a bit later. Once you are all more established and you feel more secure in your role everything won't seem so overwhelming - I promise it does get better, just survive this rough beginning.

I know how scary it is when suddenly it's just you and your partner. Aggg... when the nurse stopped coming everyday to my house I cried! I even accepted to have my Mother come stay with us for 2 weeks because I was so scared to be alone. THIS IS A BIG DEAL since I don't even get along with her!

Just be kind to yourself!
#207 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 AM

Btw is anyone stalking the ladies due in Dec? Just wondering...
#208 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 AM

to the ladies having trouble with colicky/gassy/etc. babies. Makes me realize how lucky I really am.

I don't feel my letdown at all. I have some random tingles/slight burning sometime, but I'm usually not nursing.

Hmmm..what else...OMG is it 5 am? Slept with DS when he finally went to bed, then he wanted the boob for the longest time (sometimes I really wish he took a paci!), then got up around 3 to spend some computer time with DH. Think I'll go back to bed now.
#209 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 PM

V. quick and will try to be back later.

Hugs to all with sick kids (or trying to nightwean). It's very rough when kids feel bad.

Dee -- I'm so very sorry. I wanted to share quickly about my family. My mom proudly breastfed me and my younger brother for 1-2 years each. Then my youngest brother came along. For the first few weeks he was losing weight, couldn't get if figured out, had a lot of other problems. Finally they realized that he was allergic to something about my mom's milk. So he got switched to all formula and after that all went smoothly. It was hard on my mom because she really dug brestfeeding, but she felt a lot better, too, when the baby was doing better. And honestly, she's probably closer to my youngest brother than to either of us breastfed kids.

None of this is you failing. All the love you're putting into this benefits Mathilde. She is soooo lucky to have you.

I hope my comment about crying pics didn't seem flip. I hate crying as much as any parent, but pictures of babies crying are different.

Diaper bags: we scoured for a great diaper bag, but ended up just getting a cute cheap totebag and that's what we use. I also have a little goodmama.com wetbag inside to hold the dirty dipe.

Thanks for responses on entertaining baby and working at home, Amanda and Pie. Having tummy time on the boppy is a good idea. More to say about this later.
#210 of 528 Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Letdown: I didn't really feel my letdown at first... it was a few weeks before I really felt it.

And actually, the last couple of days letdown HURTS, esp on one side. I don't know what's up with this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page