In our 30s with Our First Babe - December - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 528 Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh jeez, this thread is on fire. I simply can't keep up unless I do nothing else!

UPDATE on Night Weaning:
Last night was not great, but not as bad as the first night. Sofia was up a lot, a lot, a lot. (I guess not a whole lot more than her normal night wakings) She did let me console her and get her back to sleep doing something other than nursing, but from about 12:45-3:15 she woke up every 20 minutes fussing. I'm hoping it was all the garbage she at a potluck, or a wet diaper, or something to explain it away.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about tonight. Tonight is the night I should stop nursing her completely for those 7 hours and I'm just not sure how she'll tolerate it. Probably I will do this more slowly than the traditional method and let her have a couple of snacks through the night for a few more days.

I hope everyone feels better! Boo for being sick. We all were really sick a week or so ago and then there was a meningitis scare at our daycare (yes, I know) so we had to go on these crazy antibiotics that killed everything. Good news is I think I had a combo of bronchitis and a sinus infection so I started feeling a lot better immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 528 Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Dee - pumping. I've heard 2 minutes after the milk stops flowing. I usually can't pump even that long since Isabella won't wait and will get fussy after 10-15 minutes. The tip on letting the "letdown" feature run helped this morning. Got 3 oz instead of the 1 I was getting. I actually ran it twice (started over) since one side hadn't let down fully. Do you have a PIS?

I would think if you're doing it on the lowest setting you can and you don't feel any pain you're probably fine pumping longer. I get a lot more faster if I do compressions. Handsfree doesn't so much work for me.

No idea on the fingernail stuff, but you should probably check with a doctor... Hormones are strange things. I am just getting over an ingrown toenail - ouch! I can't imagine that on my hands. I will say finding time to keep my nails short is harder lately - they get so long that I poke Isabella.
#243 of 528 Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Here's the AP story about Merk's HIB and Hep B recall:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/hea...0,188508.story

The Vax visits freak me out. We delayed b/c of DS's weight. Now that his weight is up (10lbs. 13oz today!), we started him a couple of weeks ago but are being selective. No Hep B, we had the HIB (not Merk's) and Prevnar a few weeks ago. Today we had the DTap, which is one that makes me nervous. DS has been fussy this afternoon but is finally down for a late nap.
The new Sears book "the Vaccination Book" has helped me a lot. And so far, our peds office carries the "cleaner" vaxes. I recommend the book. If I had the money, I would secretly send a copy to my ped

In other news, I visited my LC yesterday b/c DS has been freaking out at the breast. Without going into it too much, I thought it was the let down, she thinks it's the slow down and lack of napping during the day. So going to work the latter. In the mean time, we are trying to go Haberman bottle free for the next 5 days. On Tues. we'll have him weighed and see how he does. Keep your fingers crossed!

s to all the mamas that need them. I couldn't get through all of the posts.

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#244 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 12:24 AM

NAK, again but wanted to share this... DH took a little video of Oliver today. Not very eventful but he's very cute...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gDivST0UEs

I think we've decided to delay Hep B again. Still doesn't feel right to me, so we're gonna reconsider at 6 months. Don't know why I have such a hard time with that vax.
#245 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 AM

nikkikoi, let's strategize about how to make naps happen, ok? today was dd's best nap day yet at 1 h, 45 min!
#246 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
nikkikoi, let's strategize about how to make naps happen, ok? today was dd's best nap day yet at 1 h, 45 min!
PiePie, It was a struggle to get ds to nap. I thought b/c of the shot he had today it would be easier. Not so much But he finally went down for an hour around 5pm. Afterwards, he ate better w/o too much fuss and I actually put him down tonight. My DH does that usually but he had to work tonight.
The LC mentioned to try and catch them before they get too tired, that they usually need a snooze every 2hrs. or so. She also suggested swaddling lightly, not tight like for night time.
Tomorrow, we don't "have" to be anywhere at any certain time so we'll start fresh.

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#247 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Hugs to those w/ sick babies. Emily I hope Benjamin's fever has come down. Natalia I'm pretty sure you already know this, but my ped suggested saline nose drops and a suction bulb to help w/ congestion. The nose drops for babies are called Little Noses over here - just squirt it up there & suck it back out. A cool mist humidifier also helps.

Julia I don't think the Moby is hard to tie. I tried a couple times when I was 7-8 months preg and I can def say it's easier now! Directions are easy to follow and it gets easier every time. I can put the Moby on about as fast as DH can put his Hotsling on now. The main downside is that I have to do it over the couch so the fabric doesn't get dirty. I guess I could try to do it at an open car door but I'm not that advanced yet. I hope those bottle work for you. I just ordered 6 more... I guess we're gonna go with them full time now. We tried the Avent Tempo and Dr. Brown's but both made milk come out too fast and choked her. She doesn't like to sit upright (like you're supposed too when bottle feeding a breastfed baby to prevent fast milk flow) because of reflux. Seems like she actually controls the milk flow w/ the Breast Flow bottles b/c I can lay her back at an incline & milk doesn't come out unless she sucks. Cute video of Oliver!

HepB - I'm weirded out by it too. Not a "culturally diverse" area here so we're planning on skipping it. Thanks for the recall info Nikki.

Elizabeth
glad the stimulation feature on the PISA is working for you. I use the "straight to letdown" button if I have to get up for a minute or two, but if it's longer than that I start over w/ the stimulation & always let it run for 2 mins. I'm pumping for 30 mins now and getting more out of the right side, but not much, even w/ compressions.

Guess I'll ask my OB about my fingernails at my appt next week. I couldn't find the right words, but yes, they're ingrown fingernails - 5 of them total. The only one that really bothers me is the one on my thumb b/c it hurts to snap onesies and sleepers.

Miss M awakens...

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#248 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Dee- I had a weird fingernail thing at the end of my pregnancy that lasted a month postpartum. It wasn't an ingrown though it was a hangnail wound that wouldn't close up because of the growth hormones according to my Derm. In fact veins grew out of it... it was really horrible! But all gone now, thank goodness.

Julia - I'm also delaying vax just because Aidan is so little. Nikkihoi I'm planning on getting that Vaccination book by Dr. Sears, I've read really good reviews. Btw because I'm from Spain they want to give Aidan a Hep B vax here??? It seems absurd since isn't Hep B only contagious via bodily fluids?

Oh and you asked about vitamin D - it's standard practice here to give children through the age of 4 a vitamin D supplement. Of course it's because we live in a rainy, rainy country. I'm giving Aidan the supplement because I know he isn't getting enough sunlight.

Aidan had a fever last night and so today we went to see our doctor for the first time. So he has broncitis and so do I... he's now on antibiotics which seems bizarre because it's a very anti - antibiotic culture here. They really do stress letting your body do the work to make your immune system strong. When he wrote the prescription I got really worried. Of course for me he said let my own body work it's own cure. My little boy is sick and it breaks my heart. I want to live in a tropical country where the coldest it gets is 70.

Oh and Julia that video is so cute, your DH's hands are almost as big as Ollie!! How did you record it? With a webcam?
#249 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM

Oh one more thing to worry about - I'm trying to see if the brand I have of bottles are free of phthalates and free of bisphenol A. Do any of you know where I can find that info. The ones I've been using are Avent but when I go to their website they have ZERO info on this (at least that I can find).

I like the ones that simulate letdown, are these toxin free?
#250 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Dee- yeah thanks for the suggestion, I do the saline drops and the bulb - he HATES it! Poor guy tortured by his Mom!
#251 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM

so i had my interview today. it didn't go awesome. but otoh i have felt very confident about ones where i didn't get the job? ultimately, i have to trust that God will help me land in the best job for our family. we just need $$$$$!

natalia, for toy and feeding safety i highly recommend www.healthytoys.org

BABY NOSES: DD hates even seeing the bulb. DH last night announced his new strategy: daddy sucks the snot out into daddy's mouth. his boss does it that way and says it helps a lot. i'm like, you go, honey.
#252 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Unfortunately the breastflow bottles aren't BPA free. Small risk is worth it to me. Avent aren't either but the liners are.

Pie sorry the interview didn't go so well. LOL about the snot - guess mommies and daddies have been doing it that way for a while, right?

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#253 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Jocelyn - How did last night go? Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you!

Pie - The right position will open up for you, I know it!

re bottles: We use Avent (despite BPA) - they are the only bottle Benjamin (and his Daddy, the primary bottle feeder) like. However, I don't worry about it too much because we store his milk in Medela bottles or Plastic storage bags which ARE BPA-free.

HepB - Some of you may remember my saga about Benjamin's 2 month appt and vaxs. DH was very very VERY pro HepB (and I was anti). We ended up getting the Hep B vax (basically b/c I have had my way on everything else baby health related and DH was really putting his foot down on this one. We did delay DTap because I have had a bad reaction to the tetnus shot in the past and the ped recommended that we wait). I did refuse HepB for him as a newborn. Honestly if DS were not in daycare I would have fought DH tooth and nail over it (and NOT allowed it to be given). I do not think a baby with a Hep B negative family who is not enrolled in daycare needs the HepB vax at all. Our next "shot" appt is Jan 4. even though DS did fine after his vaxs last time, I am not looking forward to it and would love to delay. I do not think DH or the ped are going to back me up though...

Pumping sess length - I usually do 15-20 minutes (10 if I am squeezing in a session). If milk is still coming out after 20 minutes I will continue to pump until milk hasn't come out for 1-2 minutes.

Update & Questions from me...

So Benjamin is still sick Totally congested (despite numerous sessions of breastmilk up the nose and the nasal aspirator) and fever is still 99.5. We are going back to the ped this afternoon. Gah. I hate this. I am so scared he is going to be congested when we fly to OR on the 22nd. I hate flying with head congestion and I can't even imagine what it will feel like to him! I am totally planning to nurse nurse nurse like crazy, but with his stuffy nose, he is having trouble staying latched on of any significant length of time.

Nipple question - Um, my nipples kinda hurt. It isn't a horrible pain and I only feel it when I touch them, but it is starting to hurt to pump and nurse. I have even turned the pump down to the lowest suction level (and still feel some pain. Again, not unbearable, I still pump). Is this thrush or is it just a sign that I am over pumping (or maybe nipple soreness from Benjamin pulling back from the boob to breathe with my nipple still in his mouth)? I used to be able to pump on mid-high suction no problem.
#254 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Dee - I've been following your posts and wanted to offer belated hugs! I admire your strength in the midst of big challenges.

Just back from our meeting. We had a great week! G. is an awesome little traveler, dh did great as babysitter, my talk was well received.
but OMG do I miss living in No-Cal! I mean, there are drawbacks everywhere and I love being in the mountains, but flying in over a gleaming SF and the warm weather in December, Union Square all glittery for the holidays, people walking around at all hours...so nice! we're going to make that an annual meeting, I think.

And we're back on a plane next friday, with too much to do in between (including STILL needing to find a nanny)!
#255 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Oh one more thing to worry about - I'm trying to see if the brand I have of bottles are free of phthalates and free of bisphenol A. Do any of you know where I can find that info. The ones I've been using are Avent but when I go to their website they have ZERO info on this (at least that I can find).

I like the ones that simulate letdown, are these toxin free?
Avent has Bis-A, sorry. I've worked on legislation in CA on that issue so I have some less-public info... Born Free are safe, that's what we're using. They are similar to Avent, so you may be able to switch over without any trouble.

Medela says it's phthalate and Bis-A free, so I've used all of their stuff, including the freezer bags.
#256 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 03:25 PM

diaper bags. My big pet peeve is that they usually have so much heavy duty plastic lining that these things start OUT weighing several pounds, before you put anything in them! I've got a nice travel bag from REI that works great, we just use 'secondary containment' for anything wet.
#257 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 03:27 PM

oh - and I used a manual pump all week... was inspired by something I read here and I tried changing the shape of my breast (squeezing lightly) while pumping and got TONS more milk, I guess from offering counter pressure to the milk ducts. anyway, I hadn't thought about trying that before.
#258 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 04:43 PM

I'll have to personalize later, not sure how much time I have. Baby's in his papasan chair but doesn't always stay there long as he likes to be held.

Doc appt. this a.m. I think this ped is really mainstream... I asked him what he thought of Colic Calm gripe water... he didn't say much other than "Well, I mean, it's homeopathic..." ?? What does that mean? His tone indicated that he thought it was useless. I also questioned him about the Hep B, he didn't push having it today, or even at all... I asked if Oliver was really at risk of getting Hep B as a child, and he said, "No, not really," unless he gets a blood transfusion someday. I was glad for his honesty but the problem is this doc can say that and still think there's no problem vaccinating for something he's not at risk for just because the government says so. :

And, turns out, baby's not gaining weight properly. He's only gained 3 oz. in 2 weeks, still at three weeks old he's not even close to his birth weight. He is gaining slowly though, isn't dehydrated, seems healthy. So I have to try pumping the next time I get a 4-hour break from nursing (sometimes he'll let me go that long at night) and we'll go back in a week and report how much I get, and check his weight. Then he'll recommend, if I have a supply problem, trying some things to up my supply, before he recommends supplementing, like pumping more. I'm thinking of trying to go to a LLL meeting... there are a couple next week near here.

Sigh...

Natalia... I think it was you who asked... we used a webcam. DH just bought a new Macbook with a camera in it... (then I put him on a budget )

I'll be back later... Julia
#259 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 05:03 PM

julia, yikes abt olivers weight gain. if u think have a supply prob call an lc. it could be abt 8 million thngs other than supply and prolly is. but if it's supply u really wanna address it sooner rather than later.
#260 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 PM
acp

Julia, so sorry to hear about the slow weight gain! I'm glad your ped isn't pushing supplementing and formula yet, and at least Oliver is gaining, but I know it can be scary. I second the advice to get an LC. And maybe rent a hospital grade pump for a few weeks or a month to help increase supply?
I do know I've had a few friends who were really stressed about insufficient weight gain in early weeks, and one even had to supplement with formula a bit for a few weeks, but she was able to improve her baby's latch and suck with the help of an LC and some exercises to work on with her baby, used a pump whenever she could to get extra milk that way, and was back to 100 percent BM within a few weeks and is still nursing successfully now at 8 months.

I'm back from my work trip. SO good to see Willa again, and she gave me a huge smile as soon as I walked through the door. It was bizarre being away from her for a whole night. Though on the whole, it all went smoothly, my scatter-brained breast pump fiasco aside. Can I just say how grateful I am for the Breastfeeding Center of Greater Washington? That's where I ended up locating the parts I need, and it was close enough that I could actually get them despite a pretty hectic schedule of work. I'm not sure what I would have done otherwise. Maybe bought a manual pump and tried to use it? Oye. I'm certainly never forgetting my pump again!
I did sleep hard last night - I wondered if I would wake up thinking it was time to feed Willa even though she wasn't there - but that was probably due to getting up at 4 am yesterday morning to go catch my flight. So despite my one night of uninterrupted solo sleep, I arrived home more exhausted than ever. Looking forward to a whole weekend to snuggle with Willa and not think too much about work...

Oh, on Hep B.... We didn't do it. We delayed our other vax too, so no big surprise, but I think even if I were vaxing on schedule I would have skipped this one. From the research I've done and even talking to a number of (pretty mainstream) doctors, it just doesn't seem that important except for a small segment of the population who are at-risk because of the parents' lifestyle. According to one medical school friend, it's recommended so early because of the worry that that high-risk population can't be counted on to bring their babies back to get it later. Given that neither DH nor I are intravenous drug users or engage in casual sex, it just didn't seem worth giving the shot to such a tiny babe.
Still, pretty much all my friends ended up doing it - I think it's really hard to decide not to do something if your doctor or the medical establishment recommends it.
My question now is what to do about other vax. Honestly, I think I'd be fine with skipping them altogether, but DH isn't as comfortable with that, and I don't feel strongly enough about it to make it an issue. So I think we'll probably start DTaP and later Hib at her next visit, but skip some of the others (like Chicken Pox).
#261 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Wow, am I behind. Starting back on page 8...

Re: working from home -- starting next week I'll be working from home two days per week. Thankfully right now my job isn't that demanding so it'll be fine, but I may end up taking a promotion, and I'm worried that if I do, I'll have trouble keeping up while at home.

Re: what do I do with baby all day? I hold her on my lap in the boppy facing me and talk/sing to her. She lays on her activity mat. I sit her in the bumbo and read her books. She hangs out in the swing that plays music - she likes to look at the spot the music comes out of. I have one of those exersaucer type things that she's still too small for - I put her in there anyway for a change of scenery. Also, walks when the weather is nice. And... *don't banish me to the Bad Mom's Club* I sit with her on my lap while I'm watching TV. She LOOOVES TV. It's awful. I'll catch her staring at the TV while she's on her activity mat. Bad. So bad.

Dee, so sorry that breastfeeding might not work out. You do what's best for Mathilde and everything will be ok!! I think pumping to save for the future is a great idea. Congrats on going out by yourself! My first solo trip was to the doctor's office. It was heavenly!

Rachel, so cute about your son latching on through your sweater! Hope things with him improve! Congrats on your hubby's job!

Re: Pumping (for Julia) -- when I pump during the day and nursing at the same time (when I'm NOT at work and Maya's nursing), I can barely get 1 oz per side most times. When I'm at work and not nursing, I get 2-3oz from each side. Julia, I never used to feel let down. Suddenly when Maya was around 10 weeks I started to feel it!

Julia, Oliver is SUPER cute in that video! I hope his weight gain gets better.

acp, that's a scary breast pump story!

Emily, congrats on Benjamin's rolling abilities!! That's great! And grabbing too? What a BIG boy! Sorry he's still sick! As for your nips, thrush presents as a deep, burning pain within the breast during and after feeding. Hope that's not it for you!

Natalia, sorry you guys are sick! I hope you feel better soon! Re: bottles -- I think most are "bad", including Avent (which we use). I want some of the Born Free brand, but they're $$$$$. Like Emily, we store in Medela products.

Jocelyn, good luck with the night weaning! And happy birth day to your little one!

Pie, yay for the Bono daycare!

The Vaccine Book (Sears) is FANTASTIC!!!! Wish I'd read it BEFORE we started the 2 month vax!

So I started back to work on Tuesday. She didn't do so great with the sitter. She couldn't nap very well, and when that happens she screams from being overtired until she finally passes out. Poor kid! But she did better Wednesday and today (I was off work yesterday due to snow). Hopefully she'll get used to our sitter, who really is great.

I bought an Ergo online yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive! We have a babyhawk, which Maya doesn't seem to like much. Hopefully she'll like it more later, otherwise I'll just sell it. She likes the sling ok, and the pouch too. I think I'm addicted to baby carriers!
#262 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyphry View Post

The Vaccine Book (Sears) is FANTASTIC!!!! Wish I'd read it BEFORE we started the 2 month vax!

just put it on my to buy list (very long) pls summarize bc dd's 4 mo appt is next week!!

got another job interview (different position) this would be lower paying and correspondingly less prestigious but i bet i could get them to agree to part-time.
#263 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
j
got another job interview (different position) this would be lower paying and correspondingly less prestigious but i bet i could get them to agree to part-time.
Woo for interviews, Pie pie!
#264 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 PM

GL Pie! Part-time would be great! Keep us updated.

Spoke to my Bradley teacher who had said to call her if I ever had BF concerns. She agreed that measuring what I pump is moronic... not indicitave of what O is getting at the breast. Her best friend is an LC so I may go see her early next week. I'm feeling calmer about it.
#265 of 528 Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 PM

Julia - Oliver's adorable!!! I'm so sorry about the weight gain. I second the reccomendation to get an LC and rent a hospital grade pump - you can pump and bottle (or cup/syringe) supplement if he's getting too tired eating. How many times a day does he eat? We woke Isabella up every 2-3 hours for the first few weeks to make sure she got in the 12 feeds a day... I know it's scary, but at least he IS gaining. Oh, yeah, and pumping is no measurement of what Oliver is getting. An LC should have a scale that they can use to weigh him before and after eating on each side so you have an idea what he's getting at each feeding.

So, I seem to have thrush again... Thanks abx. And that has made the Raynaud's flare up. I'm so tired of it hurting because other than that I really adore bfing. I love snuggling with her and being so close and cozy.

Vax - put them off again, but then started thinking again and now I'm all worried again about the Dtap. I think we have to at some point since this one will for sure be a traveller (we owe Oscar's family a trip to Peru to visit) and are hopefully going to the Caribbean next summer or fall with some friends. I think you have to be vaxed to travel to South America - who knows what she could catch if she weren't. But, delaying sounds better every time they come up. I want to find a good ped at least first. I'm going to order the Dr. Sears book - thanks for the rec!
#266 of 528 Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 AM

31- Mom of B-7/25/07
#267 of 528 Old 12-15-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
How many times a day does he eat? We woke Isabella up every 2-3 hours for the first few weeks to make sure she got in the 12 feeds a day... I know it's scary, but at least he IS gaining.
That's just it, he eats all the time! I called our Bradley teacher and her friend is an LC so I'm gonna call her tomorrow and nip this in the bud. Sorry about the thrush, again. Hope it clears up soon!
#268 of 528 Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 AM

Mom of B... to our little group
#269 of 528 Old 12-15-2007, 01:05 AM

Bear with me, one more picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7342008@N05/2112081178/

It looks like he knows he's in the lobby of the ped's office!
#270 of 528 Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
I second the reccomendation to get an LC and rent a hospital grade pump - you can pump and bottle (or cup/syringe) supplement if he's getting too tired eating. How many times a day does he eat? We woke Isabella up every 2-3 hours for the first few weeks to make sure she got in the 12 feeds a day... I know it's scary, but at least he IS gaining. Oh, yeah, and pumping is no measurement of what Oliver is getting. An LC should have a scale that they can use to weigh him before and after eating on each side so you have an idea what he's getting at each feeding.

yes we woke dd every 3 hours until she reached 8+ lbs at 1 mo.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page