C section guilt... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2003, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would imagine this has been asked on this board many times but I was wondering....
If you had a C-section did you feel guilty or cheated? You see I feel like the odd man out. I had a C-section and was sort of hoping for one. The natural way just seems so painful. Cutting her out seemed so much easier. When the nurse finally told me that I had to have a C section she said, "Don't feel badly you are not a failure" Failure? I didin't feel like a failure at all. I do know that some moms do feel this and I know the nurse was only trying to reassure me.
So is it possible that I am the ONLY woman who feels like this?

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 07:24 PM

No guilt here and I don't feel like a failure either. I pushed and pushed for 3 long hours and this child was not coming out. Sure, a vaginal birth would have been ideal, but I'm perfectly ok with the c-section. I healed quickly, Christian and I bonded quickly and he nursed like a champ. No ill effects. I will have a c-section next time as well, and I am fine with that. It should be a lot easier this time since I won't have to go through a long labor and tons of pushing first.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:25 PM

Why would a nurse say that to you?? I guess she was trying to make you feel better, but still!! I had a c-section and I do have some feelings of guilt. I did not take birth classes and I feel that if I had I would have been more confident and better able to stand up to the dr when he ordered bedrest, pit, etc. during my delivery. I still feel that mine could have been avoided, and that's where the guilt comes from. Still, it's over and I've been working on letting it go. I think it's great that you never felt guilty, and I don't understand why anyone would expect you to. You gave birth to your baby...end of story. If I were you I wouldn't worry about how you are "supposed" to feel. Congratulations on your baby!

Shannon, Single Mama to Delia 9/19/02 : and Mark 5/26/05 :

User Tag List