**APRIL 2007 Mamas** It's December! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy December, April 2007 mommies!

Woohoo! I'm first! Hope you are all having a restful, peaceful night, snuggling with your little ones!
#2 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 03:09 AM

Yay! Happy December to our nearly 8 month olds

What are everyone's plans for holidays and gifts?
#3 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

We are flying to my hometown the week of Christmas to visit my family, who I usually only get to see once a year. We only get to stay for 5 days, though. I pitched the idea to DH that Scout and I should stay there for a week after he leaves so I can spend more time with my family, since he has to hurry back for work. He didn't like that idea at all. I can understand, though. I wouldn't want to be away from Scout for a week, so I guess he's allowed to feel that way. Still, it SUCKS! Other than my sis, mom and grandma, none of my family has even gotten to meet Scout yet.

Thinking about gift-giving is stressing me out! DH is very "bah-humbug" about the holidays, so budgeting for gifts is not high on his list of priorities. I come from a big family of gift-givers and Christmas is a big deal for them and I feel like such a dead-beat because we have been very hit-or-miss about buying for people. Since we're actually going to be there in person this year and no doubt, everyone is going to get Scout gifts, I'll feel like a big turd if we don't get anybody anything. :

Other than that, I am actually really excited about the holidays and have even been humming a Christmas song or two. LOL
#4 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 AM

december?! : i can't believe it!

we are flying to mi the day after xmas to spend a week with my fam. i can't wait! and i don't have to fly alone with the kids! dh is coming too. woo hoo!

could you make some gifts kewpie-o?? i'm trying to pump out some knitted gifts and hopefully some other home-made things too...just to save some $$. i love to give gifts to everyone but it's hard.

i was wondering (since we all have so much extra time on our hands ) if anyone wanted to do a holiday exchange like our ddc exchange we did. would that be too crzy for everyone? is anyone interested? or at least we should all share addresses so we can send out holiday cards...

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#5 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 AM

Good morning girls! December 1, wow! Well, today is my opening, and I feel so free b/c the show is 'out of my hands', but I really need to crack down on commissions. So besides gifts, I need to keep painting.

I'd love to do some sort of exchange! that would be great
My sis and her baby and hubby are coming up this year from MO, I'm so excited, and my granna from out west too. It's going to be a nice year with the kids and family. My sister stays behind all the time with my neice, so keep working on it Kewpie-o! Next time!

Sunny and cold here, everything's white. How nice!

Oh, I had to get up once to nurse Eva, but I think if I could have found her d&$*n soother and dh got up to put it in she would have been fine. Oh well.

A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#6 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Pip finally got to sleep and slept pretty well, only waking up a couple times to nurse. Thank goodness. Ugh.

Kewpie-O, that teething thing was awful! I'm off to lance Pip's gums -- NOT!

We are staying home this Christmas. Yay!!! My parents will come up (they live 1-1/2 hours away) and we will just hang around here, open gifts, eat and eat, and probably watch movies. The alternative would have been either going to our friends' inn (http://innatcrystallake.com/) in New Hampshire, which we usually do (but is too far to drive with a car-hating baby) or fly to Arizona to be with ILs and uber-conservative SIL's family. No, thanks! We are going to see the ILs in January, though.
#7 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 AM

I'd love to do an exchange!!

Oh and I took the buy handmade pledge this year, so it kinda took the pressure off... I bought all my gifts from Etsy!
#8 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
Good morning girls! December 1, wow! Well, today is my opening, and I feel so free b/c the show is 'out of my hands', but I really need to crack down on commissions. So besides gifts, I need to keep painting.

A

I hope your opening goes well!!

We are staying in town for Christmas, hopefully it will be mellow and peaceful and joyous.

I won't be posting for awhile....I am starting a technology fast tomorrow since it will be Advent. I need to take some time to reflect and prepare spiritually for Christmas....so I won't be posting until the Christmas season starts. I will miss you guys!!!!!! This is going to be hard, but I think it will be good for me

Anyways, I would be up for an exchange....my email address is queen_anne78@hotmail.com....so if you all decide to do an exchange, could someone email me with the details? (I'm still going to check my email a few times a week, since it has become such a form of communication).

Prayers for a blessed, peaceful, joyful holiday season for you and your families, for good health and safe travels!!!! Oh and most importantly, good sleep!
#9 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Queen: Hope you have a great show!!
Sunny and cold here too. And clean and white, and very xmass-y!

Queen_A: enjoy your tech fast, I could never do that, I'd go through such withdrawal! But I can certainly understand the need to ground yourself. You'll be missed!
#10 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Hanukah starts on Tuesday so I have most of Desmond's gifts bought. Been buying throughout the year, go me. We have a discovery cube from Pottery Barn that I got on major sale earlier this year, that is one of his major presents. He is also getting a ton of books (yay book coop) and a bunch of playsilks, though he is probably a bit to young for them still. I also have some Haba toys for him, as well as a few Fisher Price things.

We actually celebrate Hanukah and Christmas, though Christmas is at my inlaws and in the purely commercial and hanging out with family way (since my husband and father in law are Hindu). He'll be getting the Fisher Price stuff at my inlaws and it will be living there. I figure I would prefer less plastic, but having it at the inlaws means he gets to play with it some, but it isn't actually in our house. We don't travel far to get to my inlaws they are only 45 minutes away from us, which is nice. Our big travel time is Thanksgiving which we do with my relatives yearly.

One of the presents we got for most people this year is a calender of Desmond. We used Snapfish but all the photo development places have them. We got 6, one for us, one each for 3 sets of great grandparents and one each for both sets of grandparents. I figured everyone would like it and calenders are always nice to have around. I do still have a few gifts to pick up, all of the stuff DH is giving me and i'm giving him haven't been purchased yet, I need to get a book for his mom still, and something (we have no clue what but something) still for his dad, plus two $10 Best Buy gift certificates for his cousins and and $30 restaurant gift certificate for his aunt and her husband.

We already exchanged gifts with my siblings, we do it at Thanksgiving, it is a name draw and everyone gets someone else's name, so we buy a 75$ gift for two people rather then 25 to 35$ gifts for everyone. I got my brother new calphon pots and my cousin a blender and food processor (I apparently pulled the kitchen stuff people this year).

We really need to spend this month and go through all our stuff so we can donate a bunch, we are in the give bunches of stuff away in December group, because we procrastinate and it is almost the new year and we want our tax break group. So a bunch of stuff that has been sitting in the house will end up at Salvation Army in the next month or so. Which will be nice since we really need to declutter a bunch anyways.

Baby clothes and outgrown baby stuff is staying though, since DS is our first so we hopefully will get more use out of his stuff with our second (and hopefully third).

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#11 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 PM

What is everyone doing with electrical cords? Johnny LOVES them and we seem to have so many (between the computer and tons of lamps because we don't have many light fixtures in our old house). And trash cans??? Hmm...and sharp furnature edges (my SIL said the things they sell to put on them don't work??)

We are staying hhome for Christmas, but will see my side of the family, and for new year's will hopefully see my FIL and my DH's half brother who is exactly 4 weeks older than Johnny (we haven't met him yet). Giftwise my side of the family always does a name draw (1 for adults and the kids do their own). We have often done "family" gifts too - board games etc, and then on DH's side everyone buys gifts for the kids (currently there is only 5). I think this year we are going to do a lot of photos in attractive but inexpensive frames...

I love the idea of some type of DDC exchange, how do we organize it???
#12 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen_anne78 View Post
I hope your opening goes well!!

We are staying in town for Christmas, hopefully it will be mellow and peaceful and joyous.

I won't be posting for awhile....I am starting a technology fast tomorrow since it will be Advent. I need to take some time to reflect and prepare spiritually for Christmas....so I won't be posting until the Christmas season starts. I will miss you guys!!!!!! This is going to be hard, but I think it will be good for me

Anyways, I would be up for an exchange....my email address is queen_anne78@hotmail.com....so if you all decide to do an exchange, could someone email me with the details? (I'm still going to check my email a few times a week, since it has become such a form of communication).

Prayers for a blessed, peaceful, joyful holiday season for you and your families, for good health and safe travels!!!! Oh and most importantly, good sleep!
have a great tech-fast!

====

not sure how to organize the exchange...i don't mind doing it. i guess you could all email me your addresses and i could pull them out of a hat or something to pair people up and then let everyone know. would that work?? oh and we could share info with eachother on kids ages/what they like if we want it to include our kids. or we could just do a little mama-goodies exchange

tabrizia--i like the calendar idea. maybe someday i'll get around to doing something like that

queen--best of luck with your show!

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#13 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM

I'm being a bad mom tonight and taking the urchin to a party just as soon as DH finishes meditating. He's not real keen on strangers, but Mommy needs to get out and see people! There will be other kiddos there, so that should be cool.

I really need to get a new carseat and I hope to god he likes it. He has hated his bucket since day one. We're going to get a Britax (boulevard, I think) soon and I hope to have it installed well before we leave for Florida later this month. I'm a bit worried, because I don't think I'll be able to nurse in the Britax as easily as I do in the Graco (safeseat).

He's not outgrown the bucket, but I can't take another roadtrip of screaming misery. I sit in back and he's okay while the boobs are at his beck and call, but if he decides he's had enough, there is no comforting him.

We've bought him small gifts for the holidays. A set of metal dishes from Ikea (he loves banging things like that). A little pull dinosaur toy. A wooden rattle. I think he'll like ripping the paper off more than anything.

I might dye some playsilks, but I think those will be a first birthday present.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#14 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Our inlaws got Ion a wooden pull turtle for the holidays and we got the XO computer on the buy one-get one. That's all we have thought of so far for the baby. Maybe some blocks. We bought things for our parents at the church alternative holiday sale, all handmade, fairly traded and charitable. So, aside from the computer we could do that pledge Doudat mentioned. All I have to do is come up with things for our siblings.
We are more than likely having the family meal here, at our unfinished house. I hope I can pull something good together. Most of us are vegan so it'll be okay and maybe mother,father and brother in law can have meat the night before or something. We don't allow it in our home and since being pregnant I have a lower level of stomach tolerance for things. I'm kinda stuck when it comes to group meals because I might come off as self-righteous or something but it's really just that the smell turns me off eating. I so want to make a nice meal that everyone will enjoy and not notice meat 'missing'. Could I pass the menu by you all once I have one?
ETA- If you think a baby doesn't need a computer, ask our laptops what they think. This will be for use in the playroom and when he's fussy we do put on some youtube clips.
alsoETA- I think an exchange would be fun!
#15 of 1454 Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Ion has taken to biting. And not just my nipples. He gets super hyper and laughs his butt off and bites fast and hard. He'll go back and forth between Kamrin and I jumping on us and biting. He'll bite my belly, bite the pillow, bite Kam's wrist, bite my toe, bite Kam's face on and on and on. If I am jerky enough to say ouch or pull away he'll go from giggling to bawling and yelling "ABB-DABB-BU-BUB" like I am the worst mama ever. So I let him bite me.
#16 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 AM

What's going on?? I had to look for us on page 2!
I cannot believe it's December. I cannot believe our babies are somewhere close to the 8 month mark. I cannot believe that I have started to think about possibly having another:. I really really really thought I was sure I was done, but I have been having these thoughts...
Arlo has started worming around on the floor, so I guess it won't be long now until he is eating power cords and dust bunnies. (jk!!) Hopefully it will start to wear him out and he will sleep better!
CorbinsMama, pippa is a sweety! And Queen, I could eat Eva up, those rolls are cute! I hope your opening went well.
We are making all our gifts this year. Dp is knitting socks, and I am knitting mittens. For Finn we are making a model of my parents farm and I am going to make some felted animals out of roving. I am also knitting creatures/dolls for my niece and nephews. I'll probably knit something cute for Arlo too.
Well, I really should get off the computer and do some knitting, lol!
A

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#17 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 AM

Geez, when do you get the time to knit all that stuff?
I'm totally in awe!
#18 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM

only 8 more posts to go!!
I'm gonna need a senior title...start brainstorming ladies,!

#19 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM

oh and I'd be up for an exchange...

#20 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Geez, when do you get the time to knit all that stuff?
I'm totally in awe!
well, these are just my goals, who knows if it will actually happen! Thankfully dp knits too, so when I fall behind, he helps out:

#21 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn'smama View Post
CorbinsMama, pippa is a sweety!
Thank you!

Quote:
For Finn we are making a model of my parents farm and I am going to make some felted animals out of roving.
That sounds so precious! I would love to see pics when it is done.
#22 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 AM

Holy! in like 45 seconds you guys wrote a bunch of stuff!
thanks- the opening went well. I met a woman and we talked babies-yay.

Finn'smama- definately something about Canada

um...man, I just go blank when I get here!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#23 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 AM

As always-cute, cute kids!!! I love this group. I finished my Christmas shopping today! Yay! Less than $100. We drew names this year-FINALLY! We actually have lots of snow this year...I love snow! I love the sparkly white...and being all cozy in bed with my hot rice pack...sigh...DH is always studying and still sleeping downstairs. Hot rice packs are great gifts! We are going to OR on the 17th. Medford.
#24 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 02:12 AM

Uh, let's see..

Krismarie - I'm planning to go back east with the kids in March. Let's make a plan. hanno, are you in?

Queen - glad the show went well, you must be relieved.

We'll send a lovely package of jams to the family and will buy a few items for the kids. I'm going to give the bulk of Max's list to my fam, as they always get great gifts for him. I've been planning stocking fillers for Max and Scarlet, but haven't really gotten past that yet. For my neices and nephews, I'll be making some fun stockings filled with goodies and a few things I've had on my list for them. I just bought a sweet little pottery tea set for my nieces, 6 and 2, that should be fun for them, they are such girly girls. :

I was practicing sewing the stockings the other night and made one from an old sweater of mine and it came out more like a high heel stocking, pointy toe and all. Max tried it on and it looked like an elf shoe, so he asked me to make another and now he has little elf socks for Christmas.

We got our tree today, the earliest I've ever gotten a tree. It was a perfect morning, snowing! We got two trees, big one for downstairs and a small one for upstairs in the loft (where Maxie likes to play alot - hoping it will be his room sometimes soon ), which Max and I decorated today. It was wonderful, he is so excited for Christmas.
#25 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 AM

just subbing, around here it sounds like it's gonna be a long night, lotsa fussiness today, top teeth nearly thru the gums
we'll see how it goes, and i'll try to be back soon with pictures.

Wife to J. Mama to girly S (4/07), little boy blue E (1/10) and tiny peanut girl due (7/12)

#26 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkajean View Post
just subbing, around here it sounds like it's gonna be a long night, lotsa fussiness today, top teeth nearly thru the gums
we'll see how it goes, and i'll try to be back soon with pictures.

Hope it went ok.

Romi lost her voice. She sounds terrible. And she's coughing, poor thing. BUT she had the best night so far!! Went to bed at 7pm, and woke at 3am to nurse, I was in shock My boobs were really full and she fell asleep on the boob (which she never does since she nurses so darn fast, but there was more milk in there than usual). Then she woke again at 6am to nurse. She's still sleeping and it's almost 8am. No fever.
#27 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM

MaxiMom: Jams, what a great idea for gifts!! I should've thought of that...

CorbinsMama : Pippa is a cutie!

hanno: problems with superbaby? I keep on thinking of the Incredibles when I think of your family!!
Vegan meal: that would be a hard sell in our family. I'd love to look at your menu... I'm always impressed by the imaginative menu planning that vegans come up with. We have a restaurant in Montreal, don't know if you heard of it, called Chu Chais and it's vegetarian (They do have vegan options) but the cool thing is that they make meat-like foods. The have vegetarian shrimps, chicken, pork, and it's amazingly good!! It even looks like the real thing.
#28 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 AM

hey all

maximom--those elf shoes sound cute...you should post a pic! how old is max? he sounds like such a sweet boy. kaylo is at the most intense age (and he's an intense kid)... he's so picky about what he wears, eats, reads, sees, on and on and on.

finnsmama--i love that your dp knits!

hanno-that's rough...all that biting. hopefully it's just a teething thing?? i feel like kaylo did it some too--but not quite that bad.

doudat---glad she doesn't have a fever this morn...i can't believe she's slept the longest while she is sick--my kids always wake up every 1/2 hour when they are sick--

did someone say their dp was making wooden toys?? i'm going through our toys and getting rid of any they make me wary of lead. i've turned into a sort of lead-freak now that i know that so much of my house is lead-y. i at least want their toys to be really good.

my bestfriend came up to watch the boys last night since dh is milking and i had to go to work (...yea, we still don't have a babysitter around here...) and i ended up staying up until 2 talking to her....and of course this was a morning both boys were up before 6:00. luckily kaylo watched a little pbs in bed for a while (we have a tv in our room too, queen...but we only get the public channel)...but neither went back to sleep. i'm going to be ready for bed by 2pm today.

#29 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Krismarie - Max is the same age as Kaylo, born 2/12/04, and VERY particular about things, too. Clothes, food, routines, etc. He is very sweet, but can give me such grief sometimes! And so curious about every little thing, sometimes I just want him to be quiet and not ask me so many questions.

So, Max was up at 4am for about an hour and now Scarlet is up at 6am, what's going on!! Oh well, at least I got the fire going and it's quiet. Hey, she just crawled back to the bedroom, maybe we can go back to sleep now. (do we have a fingers crossed smiley?)
#30 of 1454 Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 AM

doudat - hope Romi is feeling ok, that must sound kind of cute, though. Yes, we made so much jam this summer, time to send it off in fancy little packages.

I'm sure we'll all be glad when teething is done!~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page