September 2007 mammas--December thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jeaninevp - Glad I'm not the only one happy to not be spending holidays with the IL's. At least this way I'll be able to spend this one stress free without the drama.

We have a mad dash to get ready for the holidays now because we're doing Christmas day at our house. My brother is selling us a really nice 7 piece dining set from his store so we have room for everybody, that should be delivered next week. It was over a $1000 full price but he's selling it to us for $400 with his manager discount, we really couldn't have bought it otherwise. We have to do the food shopping, and then all the cooking. I'm looking forward to it though.

Does anyone else's LO not laugh yet? Liam hasn't given us a real laugh, once or twice he makes noises that somewhat resemble laughter. I'm guessing he wants me to stand on my head or something first

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#182 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Lucy *just* started laughing and doesn't do it every day. She used to just do a big open-mouthed smile and go "HUH!" but this past week she did a little bit of giggling and some more definite laughter. I had to videotape it, lol.

At what point do babies usually start crying real tears? She really never cries so I don't know, but today she freaked out in her carseat and had tears falling down her cheeks, it was heartbreaking!

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#183 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

thewaggonerfamily: Katie, I'm so sorry for your loss.

My thoughts go out to all of you mammas who are facing difficulties, illnesses, and loss of loved ones right now.

EricaE: It sounds like you found a great person to leave your precious baby with when you have to be away. I'm so glad for you.

Well, we're off to a Christmas party tonight. Of course, we won't be out really late as its a big drinking party and Aili doesn't drink. People will want to hold her, but sickness is all around at this time of year. I always have people wash their hands and they don't kiss on the baby, but the germs are still everywhere. Also, I am not into letting one of my friends in particular hold my baby and maybe I'm being petty . . .

Here's the rant (I think I'm due for one; I haven't ranted in a while): Last week, I went over to a friend's house with Aili. She was tired, so I nursed her. While I was standing up rocking Aili and nursing her, this friend looked over and said something like, "Gee, your boobs look low." Now maybe its just my vanity, but I feel pretty icky about my post-pg body right now, but my boobs, well, I felt pretty darn good about them. So now, not only do I have a rolly, smushy belly, but my boobs are sag-bags! Yeah, so in my opinion, a woman who can not appreciate what my body has accomplished and praise it for that, has no right to touch the fruit of that work. There. Rant over.

ETA: Dh just said, "I think your boobs look good. I don't know." He's sweet.
#184 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabo View Post

Here's the rant (I think I'm due for one; I haven't ranted in a while): Last week, I went over to a friend's house with Aili. She was tired, so I nursed her. While I was standing up rocking Aili and nursing her, this friend looked over and said something like, "Gee, your boobs look low." Now maybe its just my vanity, but I feel pretty icky about my post-pg body right now, but my boobs, well, I felt pretty darn good about them. So now, not only do I have a rolly, smushy belly, but my boobs are sag-bags! Yeah, so in my opinion, a woman who can not appreciate what my body has accomplished and praise it for that, has no right to touch the fruit of that work. There. Rant over.

Umm...I don't think I would have been able to restrain myself if one of my friend's said this. Who knows why people make this kind of comment, they have to be aware of how they would make somebody feel. But you know what, no super model body in the world will ever be able to compare to the beauty of a woman who has carried, birthed, and nourished a child. You look fabulous!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#185 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Oh my. How decidedly unfriendly. An unsolicited body comment and a negative one at that? : If you can't say anthing nice, don't say anything at all. It's a bit trite but still sage advice. She could have commented on your darling babe instead.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#186 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:

DP said I had a skanky body the other day. He also told a friend of mine what my post-birth vagina looked like....in detail. We are now seperated. I really don't appreciate it when people say things about a post-pg body. Our bodies are beautiful things. They create life.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#187 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybaby9 View Post
DP said I had a skanky body the other day. He also told a friend of mine what my post-birth vagina looked like....in detail. We are now seperated. I really don't appreciate it when people say things about a post-pg body. Our bodies are beautiful things. They create life.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#188 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
OMG!!!! : I can't believe he would do that. I am so sorry you are separated but good for you for standing up for yourself. Are you okay? I really am sorry.
Wendi
#189 of 400 Old 12-15-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I'd take great pleasure in kicking him in his private parts, just tell me when and where. And good for you for sticking up for yourself!

#190 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 AM

KatieJJ334 I so glad you have a Babyhawk now!! Isn't it great?? Do you wear yours with Liams legs scrunched up, or out? We're kind of in between. Sean seems to prefer to stand in it, but he's too tall to do that. Today he rode in it for about 15 min. with his legs out and he did okay that way.

DS:11 DD:8 DS:3 DS:13 months
#191 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry your DH shared something so intimate and private with your friend. That is not okay. I hope he understands what an invasion of your privacy that was. You're right - our bodies ARE beautiful.

#192 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Does anyone else's LO not laugh yet?
Sean kind of laughs, but not consistantly. DH and I are both so anxious to get a good old belly laugh out of him!

#193 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 AM

Thewaggonerfamily -my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother. May she rest in peace.

Jazzy I'm glad you didn't accept that cr*p from your partner. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with stuff like that. I guess he just doesn't understand what an amazing thing a woman's body is. Too bad for him.

oops - diaper time!
#194 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I'm so sorry Mama. s to you. Are you ok?

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#195 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Yeah, I'm ok. It really hurt me at first, but I just realized I feel the complete opposite about my body. It did an amazing thing over a short period of 10 months. DP & I are on ok terms again. He's been really sh!tty ever since they stuck him on these certain pain meds. He's cranky and irritable all the time, but that's still no excuse. Our relationship is still young and we tend to play stupid games. I'm sure that will fade with time. What would you do/say if your DH said something like that to you? I feel I forgive too easily........ He really never does things to hurt me, he usual tells me how beautiful and amazing I am, and how strong women are for carrying and birthing children. He is usually a VERY respectful man, right up until you medicate him. His mother told me when he was younger and ruptured his spleen, the pain medication they put him on made him black out in a violent rage. He threw the TV controller through the window.........he doesn't remember any of it. So, I do believe his name-calling and rude behavior was influenced by the medication he is taking. So now he has stopped taking it and has gone to his doctor to get a different kind.

#196 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM

Jazzybaby: Wow! So sorry your partner hurt you like that. It really sucks when the man who is supposed to be your supporter/partner, etc. acts like that. DH and I have had our share of hard times. But for a while now things have been much better. I think to reach the level we're at now, I finally just had to show him I would not stand for that kind of behavior. I took the kids and some clothes and left for a weekend. That really seemed to shake him and after longs, productive talks, he has not acted that way since. I hope you two can works things out and make your family stronger.

I'm having a hard time finding time to keep up and post. I do a lot of lurking. Hugs to the momas who have had losses. And I am keeping Jessica in my thoughts daily. It had me in tears recently.

Happy holidays to everyone.
#197 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaE View Post
KatieJJ334 I so glad you have a Babyhawk now!! Isn't it great?? Do you wear yours with Liams legs scrunched up, or out? We're kind of in between. Sean seems to prefer to stand in it, but he's too tall to do that. Today he rode in it for about 15 min. with his legs out and he did okay that way.
I'm so in love with it, it really is beautifully made and really worth the money. I purchased one that is minky lined because he has a minky blanket that he likes, plus I love the way it feels Liam is really long (definitely didn't get that from me) so I've been putting him in with his legs out, he gets pretty angry when I try to froggy his legs up. He's napping in it right now, I'm waiting for my camera to charge so I can take pictures of him in it.

#198 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Anybody have some to share? We just took our's the other day for cards, I like both of these but I think we're going to have to go with the one where Liam's hands aren't in his mouth

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...Christmas6.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...Christmas3.jpg

#199 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 04:07 PM

We got on snapfish.com and did some holiday phot cards on there. AWESOME DEAL and I just took the pic of Aiyana myself. We decided on this one-

aiy

with this greeting-

photo card

#200 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Our relationship is still young and we tend to play stupid games. I'm sure that will fade with time. What would you do/say if your DH said something like that to you? I feel I forgive too easily.
I think it is just an issue of standing up for yourself and letting the offending individual know that you will not be treated with disrespect. If you do that, then it is perfectly ok to be forgiving.

BTW, I think the pic that you chose to use of Aiyana is beautiful. Good choice.

Katie: I was looking at your signature pics yesterday and thinking that Liam looks like a nice blend of you and your dh. The photo you just posted: its a nice happy family in front of the Christmas tree. It has a nostalgic feel to it . . . like Christmas movies of old (I'm feeling a bit cheesy in the holiday spirit right now, if you couldn't tell by that response).
#201 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Love the pics, Katie and Jazzy!

We are leaving for France tomorrow. I won't get to spend much time on the computer there but I will read when I can and try and stay caught up.

So, Happy Holidays!
Merry Yule, Solstice, Christmas and Hannukah!

Peace and light to all of you!

"May your days be merry and bright...."
#202 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 05:44 PM

Jazzy - Aww what a cutie pie! I'm going to have to check out the snapfish cards and see if I can get a better deal on there.

Sabo - Thank you, its the first picture of all three of us together and I think it turned out pretty well considering we used the automatic timer . I say the same thing about Liam! Even the day he was born, we both said he was a blend of both of us. Very much his own person in terms of looks.

Plaid Leopard - Have a great time in France and happy holidays to you and the family!

#203 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 07:53 PM

KatieJ and Jazzy- the pics are soo cute!

What are everyone's plans for the Holidays? How do you seperate the time between your families? We all have colds right now so the thought of being out and about for the entire day of Christmas is not exciting.

Here's our plan: Christmas eve we go to my Nana's (my mom's mom). Christmas morning we will open our presents here and then make a mad dash to DHs family's house. Bring the kids back home after lunch for naps. Have my parents come over early afternoon and then go to my dad's parents house Christmas evening. Ugh... I can't believe the holidays are so stressful!

Anyone looking forward to them being over? We made everyone a 2008 calendar for Christmas. Here are a few of the pics I included. Hope everyone is doing well!

http://rmontgomery.shutterfly.com/action/

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#204 of 400 Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM

Jazzy, I am sorry you are dealing with so much right now. Talking things through is important as is standing up for yourself. Very sweet photo and card.

Katie, you have a very attractive family there.

I usually do a family photo card but struggled to get it together this year and sent out many cards with a snapshot tucked in. Then I couldn't believe that for baby's 1st I wasn't doing a photo so I decided to get a couple dozen photo cards (using a photo of just Linus) at the 1 hour place to finish up. After all this dh reminded me what a waste of paper he thought it all was environmentally speaking. Next year I just won't tell him about it (unless he sways me to his perspective).

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#205 of 400 Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 AM

I'm half asleep, but suddenly felt the need to share something.

Sleeping in the family bed- DP was at my back, his head bowed at my shoulders, his hands tucked, as if praying, beneath my side.. his legs curled around my bottom half. At my front, DD was sound asleep, suckling at my breast. I felt her tiny ball of warmth reaching for me, thanking me for the booby milk that filled her tummy. I felt like a goddess...so needed, so loved. My support system was there, dreaming beside me, sharing this bed. It was beautiful....a picture of perfection.

Have any of you ever felt this before? As a new mother, I finally felt what it is to be a woman. A creature of nurturing love. I was needed and it felt wonderful.

#206 of 400 Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I'm half asleep, but suddenly felt the need to share something.

Sleeping in the family bed- DP was at my back, his head bowed at my shoulders, his hands tucked, as if praying, beneath my side.. his legs curled around my bottom half. At my front, DD was sound asleep, suckling at my breast. I felt her tiny ball of warmth reaching for me, thanking me for the booby milk that filled her tummy. I felt like a goddess...so needed, so loved. My support system was there, dreaming beside me, sharing this bed. It was beautiful....a picture of perfection.

Have any of you ever felt this before? As a new mother, I finally felt what it is to be a woman. A creature of nurturing love. I was needed and it felt wonderful.

What a beautiful mental image Jazzy!!

Katie-lovely family photo...Liam is adorable and looking straight into the camera.

Safe travels Plaid.

I am going to try and get some photos of Lucy posted...I can't believe I haven't posted any yet....but I'm really not to techie....we will see if I can figure it out.

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#207 of 400 Old 12-17-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
Check out the forum at thebabywearer.com if you havent already. They have a great DIY section. Mei tais are super simple to make, that is how I learned to sew! You can get lots of pointers and "tricks of the trade" there for using the maya as well. Also, the have a for sale or trade forum and you can try out different carriers at a reduced rate that way and if is doesnt work, just sell it For my children, its pretty much wraps and mei tais as they like to be upright(plus you can safely get young babes on your back with both of these). Neither one really tolerated the cradle hold ever. I only used a ring sling with dd for hip carries for quick in and out errands, and eventually I even preferred a mt for those
Thanks! I'm totally about DIY type of things. Getting various carriers @ reduced rates would be waaaaay shiny. I'm still looking at used pumps trying to find one I like that's not so much on breaking the wallet, yanno?
#208 of 400 Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
KurumiSophia, somedays just call for staying home and it is hard. Could you maybe invite someone over? It is amazing how much better the afternoon is if you are having a warm drink and conversation with a friend while you take care of baby.

I use different carriers for babies, ages, stages, lengths of time for a given wearing. I don't have two of any one type but I do have several. I usually want more of any current favorite but my favorite changes before I can talk myself into spending money on it. The easiest, most versatile for me has been the ring sling but I prefer a two shoulder carry if it is for more than quick in and outs. You can check the trading post here. They do come and go but it doesn't move as quickly as TBW. TBW is FAST!
I'd love to invite someone over, really, I would. Fate seems aligned against me however since my friends are either out of state or waaaay far away in state. *insert the "woe is me" moment* So most of the time, if I want to go out, its w/my MIL and I have to hear it about cosleeping and how I'm "playing doctor" by questioning vaccines, etc. Not fun times, kwim?

I'll have to check out the Trading Post here and at TBW. (Just registered there...waiting for my acct. activation email) I really need to find a carrier that will work w/my LO. (Of course, now she decides she wants to start teething and have a tummy bug @ the same time. Shoot me now. )
#209 of 400 Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Jazzy - So sweet, thank you for sharing

I don't know how many of us are ECing, but it seems to be the answer to all of our problems over here. We started pottying him at night to see if he would sleep better and got results immediately, now we're doing it during the day as well and its even better. When he wakes up at 5am I potty him and he goes right back to sleep, now when he's waking up at 8:30 I potty him again and he goes back to sleep until 10! He's never done this! I just wish I would have known about doing this sooner. I told my mom about it and she thinks its the coolest thing ever, she thinks if its working we need to keep it up.

KurumiSophia - In addition to checking out those places, check out your tribal area on here to see if there are any groups that get together in your area.

#210 of 400 Old 12-17-2007, 05:06 PM

Happy holidays everyone!

Our lovely DDC is closing today. I said goodbye in a little post over there, but wanted to let you all know it would be gone soon.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page