thumb sucking?? someone elses finger?? or pacifier ?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-13-2003, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
neither of my girls ever took a paci or sucked their thumbs so this was a non issue.

my 3 week old son has his own style obviously and seems to get angry with me sometimes for having milk! He will cry to nurse after he's just nursed forever (and burped and pooped. lol) and when i give him the breast he'll push away. So, he wants to suck but doesn't want milk .. or so it appears.

on occasion over the past day or so i've laid him down asleep and hear him stirring. i'll look at him and he's sucking his thumb.

he is also a carseat hater and tho nursed for half an hour on the same breast (to try to get more hindmilk) , burped and changed before we get into the vehicle he still cries in the car. The only thing that will calm him down is my oldest (13yo) putting her pinky in his mouth for him to suck on.

some women have offered that i should have him take a pacifier vs sucking his thumb if he's going to insist on s ucking something other then my breast. My sister sucked her thumb till age 8, and needed braces. She insists that a paci would be better because "you can't take away his thumb to help him wean from that".

now on the flip side, he can't lose his thumb either (ie how many mamas have i seen frantically searchign for the plug).

i also have a friend who's son always sucked on her finger and now still does at almost 3. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but is hard for her when she's nursing the new baby and he's got her other hand ("mommy hand. please. mommy hand") so she's got one finger in his mouth and the other hand holding the baby to nurse. not su re thats for me either.

so what do i do? let him suck his thumb and see if he outgrows it? try a paci but only in the car or if he refuses the breast?

My daughter was free of all artificial nipples so this is new to me.

suggestions? advice?
oh. and here he is sucking his thumb. lol

http://members.iwahm.com/chelsey/romysthumb.jpg
#2 of 5 Old 08-13-2003, 08:52 PM

I can relate to this barb! my 8 week old ds likes to suck something else sometimes too and usually it's a finger from one of his big brothers!! when he is upset he can't control his arms enough to get to his own finger or thumb. I tried a pacifier (much against my usual feelings about such things)but he gives a few sucks then spits it out - I guess the action is too different from my nipple so out it goes and of course he can't put it back

I don't know how paci users get their kids to do it?? my others never used one either so I have no idea

ds1 is 12 and was a confirmed thumb sucker from 4 weeks, still does it in hios sleep at 12! so, yes, you can't take a thumb away BUT what happens when you do take the paci away?? I dunno

if he's going to suck his thumb he will do it IMO, even if you do try to switch to paci
#3 of 5 Old 08-13-2003, 10:37 PM

It is a hard one. I didn't introduce my dd to the paci until about 9 mo when she first started teething...she didn't take to it though. Personally, I would rather see a toddler sucking his thumb than a paci but I think the only one who has the real answer to the question is your son. If he needs to suck and he likes his thumb or fingers great (they are hard to lose) but if he has problems keeping them in his mouth at his age but enjoys the paci better, all power to him for knowing what he needs. One drawback with the paci at night at that age: a friend of mine introduced it to her son to ween a night feeding and ended up waking to his crying more often to put the paci back into his mouth. Good luck
#4 of 5 Old 08-14-2003, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

i think i'm going to let him find his own way. if he likes his thumb we'll let him have his thumb. lol

thanks ladies
#5 of 5 Old 08-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Banned

I'd just like to add I sucked my thumb (only at home, and at night) until I was about 13. I have perfectly straight teeth and never needed braces....

Plus how does weaning a child from a paci (we call them dummy's) fit in with the whole ap thing...?!? Taking what comforts the child away while they scream for it surely aint good....

Lil

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page