my 30hr old baby has bad gas pains - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any ideas on how to help him? He's not very comfy, we hear occasional gas pass thru him...but the poor thing...looking for tips asap! Gotta go help him...
tia,

Mamasoleil
#2 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 PM

Gripe water. Trust me on this. Also, are you nursing and what kind of foods are you eating?

Oh, smell his 30 hour old head for me. I miss that.
#3 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 11:35 PM

our babe was miserable after my milk came in...ends up soy and dairy were triggers for tummy troubles for him--but it was more than just gas (his tummy got rock hard and his little hands would be in TIGHT fists and his whole body was tense....it was so awful to watch).

Holding him face down on our arms, with our hand on his belly and his head supported by our forearm, really helped A LOT.
He also really loved when I would lay him down and rub/massage his whole body with lotion. I was extra gentle on his tummy, and did the whole i-love-you massage thing
(http://www.batalion.net/baby/iloveyou.html)

We finally found gripe water at our health food store last week (ds is 5 months now), it hasn't done anything for his gas, but is great for clearing up his hiccups. Of course, I've never gotten him to take a full dosage :

I hope little one is feeling better soon!
and...
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#4 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you kind mamas! My milk hasn't come in yet, just my colostrum at this point. I've been massaging him, he's asleep now...hopefully he finally passed what's been bothering him. I had to take castor oil to get my labour going(long story) I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Yesterday he passed meconium 4 times, but nothing today, other than wet dipes...
I will smell his head for you!

Mamasoleil/samson
#5 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 11:50 PM

I had all sorts of gas w/ my DD. Turns out she had a very sensitive tummy, and it was the food that i was eating that bothered her. I cut out dairy, lots of various veggies, wheat... She still was fussy, but every bit helps. I actually wound up taking her to a cranial sacral healer in the end.

I used chamamilla homeopathic remedy to help calm her, and teas for her tummy. mint, fennel-=.... drawing a blank on the others. oh, catnip.

HTH
#6 of 10 Old 08-14-2003, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Well, little Samson passed a lg poop last night, and has been happy ever since. Hopefully it was just a little case of constipation!!! Poor little guy. Thank you all for your advice, I will reread if he seems in pain again today. But we had a great night...I'm actually rested!!!

Mamasoleil/samson
#7 of 10 Old 08-14-2003, 11:28 AM

that's GREAT!!!!
#8 of 10 Old 08-15-2003, 05:48 AM

I'm sorry. This happens to new babies, I'm afraid. It will pass. Gripewater. Hyland's Homeopathic colic tablets. And what helped us most- Acidophilus. Get a really high quality one that is refrigerated from a health food store (I paid $25 for my bottle). Just wet your pinky with breastmilk and dip the tip in the acidophilus (empty the capsule )Ok? Good luck- It gets easier!
#9 of 10 Old 08-15-2003, 06:15 AM
rrr

gas and colic, etc: try nursing on one side per feeding. fore and hind milk are different and complementary. switching sides too often can cheat them out of hind milk. consult LLL leader or a very good lactation consultant for more info.

some women have overactive letdown and nurse with one breast off and on for several hours before switching.

for example: 8am to noon, right side, noon to 4, left side, etc.

you probably don't need to be so extreme, but consider getting in the habit of not switching back and forth like the old books said.

once you get going with nursing and aren't engorged, 1 or 2 hours per side might work for you. let us know. rrr
#10 of 10 Old 08-15-2003, 07:03 AM

Yes, rrr, you're absolutely right! My baby's only 4 1/2 months and I've already almost forgotten this stuff! OVERACTIVE LETDOWN it's called. Good Advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page