Gripe water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is now 12 days old. He has a couple of bouts per day (or night... we never know when it will hit) of what is clearly gas pain. Also he gets the hiccups frequently. How safe is gripe water, does it really help, and am I over-reacting when he only has gas a couple times a day? Or is that a lot? He's my first baby, so I have no other experience to compare it to.

It just makes me so sad when he cries and cries. I don't want to dose him if it's unnecessary, but also if there's something safe that can ease his gas pain I'd like to try it...

I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with this stuff, if it's safe, etc. Thanks!
#2 of 17 Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 PM

First off, if you're bf, I'd try rulng out everything that causes typical allergies and irritants in young babies. I don't recall what those foods are because I never had a problem, but I'm sure there are threads on here about it somewhere.

Second, gripe water used to be my best friend. You want to get the kind without sodium bicarbonate in it because it disrupts the natural pH of your baby's tummy and can make matters worse in the long run. it's totally safe and usually just contains things like ginger and fennel.

I had a friend who's baby was terribly gassy and she used mylicon. she swears by it.
#3 of 17 Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM

We used gripe water (Baby Bliss) when our baby was about 3 weeks old. We would have used it sooner but their site said not to use it until the baby was 7 pounds and she was a small baby. It didn't seem to help until about 5 weeks old tho. We still use it sometimes when she has a tummy ache.
#4 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 01:08 AM

check this out:

http://www.slate.com/id/2158605/

we gave infant probiotics at day 10 to our ds in a bottle of breastmilk.one teaspoon, once a day. and i took some adult probiotics also. worked like a charm! you can get it at most healthfood stores. we used this one- http://www.myhealthmyworld.com/Flora...ic-2.64oz.html
i use the baby bliss gripe water too but it works better when they're older though.
#5 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 AM
acp

It's hard to tell from your post how bad the gas pain is. I know DD was a very gassy baby, and also got hiccups ALL the time and spit up a lot. I never really phased things out of my own diet (other than a couple things that seemed pretty clearly to make her gas a bit worse, like raw onions), but I did spend a LOT of time burping her, many times, and throughout a nursing. Her gassiness was never really terrible, though - nothing like extreme reflux. So your situation might be a lot different. There are only a few nights I can remember where she seemed to be in really protracted gassy pain for a long period of time (and those were rough). Eventually she grew out of it. Sometime around 4 1/2 months or so, I stopped even having to burp her, and she never seems very gassy now.
We tried Mylicon (never gripe water) a few times, but it never seemed to make much difference. I can't see how gripe water could hurt, though.
#6 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Today's a bad day : Seems we just get him to stop crying, he's hungry so he has a long feed, then has another bout of gas. He's been screaming all night it seems. I had to pass him off to DH and go have a cry. It makes me sad, is that weird? I know it's just gas but I hate when I can't fix what's upsetting him.

So will the gripe water not work if he's an infant? I'm confused now. I ordered some Colic Calm which doesn't have sodium in it, and I guess we'll try it...

This is by far the worst day... he usually gets it a couple times a day for anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 and a half hours. Hiccups too, but no spitting up so far. I don't know if it's a normal amount or not, but it's no fun either way! Thanks to all for your responses.
#7 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
My baby is now 12 days old. He has a couple of bouts per day (or night... we never know when it will hit) of what is clearly gas pain. Also he gets the hiccups frequently. How safe is gripe water, does it really help, and am I over-reacting when he only has gas a couple times a day? Or is that a lot? He's my first baby, so I have no other experience to compare it to.

It just makes me so sad when he cries and cries. I don't want to dose him if it's unnecessary, but also if there's something safe that can ease his gas pain I'd like to try it...

I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with this stuff, if it's safe, etc. Thanks!
Poor baby!

I LOVE the brand gripe water we use -- Colic-Ease. We've used various other brands (including Baby's Bliss) to find the best one, and this is BY FAR the most effective. It is more expensive but SO worth it. Both of my babies calm down and stop writhering in pain within a minute of receiving the gripe water. Amazing, all natural stuff. Much better than that nasty, artificial Mylicon crap.

ETA it is safe for and can be used by newborns to adults. Dosage instructions according to age on the back of the bottle. Also, it is sodium bicarbonate FREE.
#8 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM

How's your babe today?
#9 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 01:28 PM

I found gripe water didn't help much, same with Ovol/Mylicon (simethicone) gas drops. I also used ideas from http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051300.asp , hope that's helpful to you. In our case it turned out our son had reflux and dairy allergy so needed Zantac and Nutramigen.
#10 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Hi there..
First, I just want to give hugs - because I totally understand what is happening. I too have my first babe and the gas pains are hard to deal with. Especially so soon after birth because you are exhausted and just want to cry at everything anyway! I know the first night it happened to us we were immediately crawling the aisles at Walgreens the next day looking for a solution. I don't know if mylicon works or not... it definitely calms her down - but it could be because it is sweet and cherry flavored.
I found that I had a huge oversupply issue and once I got that under control, the gas calmed down a lot. I could never connect it to a food that I was eating, but once my supply got regulated by block feeding, she is a much happier baby. My lactation consultant sent me a really nice article titled something like gaining, gulping, and gassy..... Which described my babe to a tee!
I know there are articles on kellymom about oversupply as well.
I find the gas is worst when she is overly tired/stayed up too long. I have also been trying to watch this and start the nap routine before she gets beyond sleepy. When she is a happy/rested baby the farts come with a smile!
Maybe as you get your babes patterns down pat, you will recognize a pattern. My babe gets fussy every night around 8:30-9pm. I can almost tell time by it. I know that it is bedtime then - and her poop time.
Good luck and congratulations!
#11 of 17 Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowerofnada View Post
How's your babe today?
He's calmer, and so am I... a little... we still don't know what last night was all about! I'm not even sure it was gas, he just was fussing like crazy. Someone told me that around 2 weeks of age, babies start becoming really aware of their surroundings and start crying more in response to feeling overwhelmed by it and over-stimulated... she was quoting (I think) Dr. Brazelton (I'm gonna look it up in a second, I just got Ollie down for a nap, yay)
Anyhow my friend said that babies just need to cry sometimes, it's like a release for them? Dunno. I'm a little more worried about myself at the moment, as far as how to get a grip when it happens! I really had a meltdown. I'm still pretty hormonal, night sweats and the whole post-partum hoopla, so I'll probably be able to deal better by the time DH goes back to work.

Thanks all! Julia
#12 of 17 Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 AM

I had great success with Colic Calm and I'll be very interested to know if your baby does well with it too! It helps so much with the gas and the fussiness. I give it to my baby after feeding and before putting him down for the night. I think the first three months after the baby is born is the most draining and emotional. You will start getting more sleep and less stressed and everything will start to come together - wait and see!

Best to you!
#13 of 17 Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 AM

Aw, I am so sorry. Congrats on your new baby!!
I used Mylicon drops for my daughter when she was 2 weeks old and she wonly weighed 5lbs 14oz and it worked wonders on her. I used it up until she turned 6 months old and sometimes I still use it when she gets really gassy.
#14 of 17 Old 12-08-2007, 01:37 PM

My LO has had bouts of gas since about 2 weeks old and I have used Gripe since 2 weeks old and it is a wonder....she immediately calms and a serene look comes over her face. It has been my best friend at times. I am finding that she is needing it less and less. She is 12 weeks today.

Hang in there Momma. Enjoy your little one.

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#15 of 17 Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! He seems better when I'm the one dealing with the fussiness... and I got the pouch out for the first time (I was afraid to use it before since I'd had a c-section but I feel healed enough now) and he's dozing happily on my chest. I have avoided three different fussiness episodes in the last 12 hours just by holding him and letting DH be the one to sleep. At first it was definitely gas though, but now I think it's become something where he just wants to be held by ME. I'm glad we're solving the crank-fests, but it means less sleep for me at the moment. Oh well, at least I'm off of work for the next 6 weeks!

Thanks for all the 's.
#16 of 17 Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 PM

My LO is 17 days old... and I feel like I could have written this thread... we have had some horrible nights... and we just bought some gripe water, I am really hoping it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kethry View Post
Hi there..
I found that I had a huge oversupply issue and once I got that under control, the gas calmed down a lot. I could never connect it to a food that I was eating, but once my supply got regulated by block feeding, she is a much happier baby. My lactation consultant sent me a really nice article titled something like gaining, gulping, and gassy..... Which described my babe to a tee!
On top of everything else, I have oversupply, forceful let-down and engorgement issues: I have been block feeding, and still nothing is working... how long did it take to regulate your supply?

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#17 of 17 Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 PM

I'm in your shoes too! We started giving DD mylicon when she was just over a week old (she was 7 lbs 5 oz at birth) as it seemed to help. I must say that between mylicon and LOT of stops between bf to burp seems to help her. BUT...

She just turned 8 weeks on Friday and started up her bouts of crying (on Wed) but this time all afternoon from noon till bedtime at 9pm so we saw a Dr who said she has acid reflux and prescribed Zantac. DH and I are giving it to her for the weekend to see if that and the mylicon will help the calling our regular ped Dr. on Monday to have her seen.

I hope it's something she'll outgrow...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page