Fussy time or Colic??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-14-2003, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate to use that word Colic, but fussy time seems like an understatement.
Yanic is totally happy, alert, awake, hardly cries all day, then about 830/9pm...as we're getting ready to go to bed, he just flips out. The last couple days have been the worse. He just wails, and nothing seems to help. He'll have a fresh bum on, been fed...sometimes it seems like he wants more nums, but then pushes away when my milk lets down....sometimes he'll take my finger for a bit, then push that away too, it's like he's confused about what he really wants. It could be gas, but he's still able to fart while wailing, so he is getting it out.
It only lasts about 20-30 minutes, but he just seems so upset.

I guess my question....is this normal fussy time stuff, or could it be something else??
Thanks,
Jen

p.s. The only change in my diet the last couple days was I had eggs for breakfast each day....but I thought you went back 2 meals, not to the morning. And he's really actually had this fussy time since he was born, it's just been worse the last 3 days.

Thanks!!!!
#2 of 5 Old 08-14-2003, 04:08 PM

I don't know what to tell you, except that DS is sometimes the exact same. He's the most mellow baby all day long, and then at night time he has about 1/2hr - 1hr of being SO fussy. It's so unlike him that it gets very frustrating, but I haven't thought it to be colic. I feel with him that it he's a bit "overstimulated" from a long day. He sleeps with us and *bearly* wakes up all night long, even to nurse and be changed. He'll sleep like that for at least 8, if not 10 hourse each night. Then the first half of the day he'll take small naps off an on, and then in the evening he's up for a few hours straight before getting cranky.
I hear you on all the behavior--fighting my boob after begging for it, not wanting to take dad's finger, not wanting to be held or put down. What I have found to work is to hold him belly to belly and take him for a walk around the neighborhood. I'll sing to him or talk to him real soothing (which helps me also) and I'll walk real fast with him around the block a couple of times. He quiets down at first, quits thrashing, and then is calm all over. Next thing I know he's asleep.
I think this is the point where I've heard parents let their kids "cry it out" so that they can "wind down." Now I understand what they mean by letting him wind down, but I've just had to try everything I know that is soothing for him when good old nummies fail. Come to think of it, this usually happens when he's been nursing a lot and either he's so full he can't nurse himself to sleep, or my supply isn't keeping up cause I'm all tapped out. He seems to want to nurse because it's how he knows to fall asleep, but the act makes him real mad. Does that make sense? I've heard that if it is Colic, you'd KNOW. KWIM??
#3 of 5 Old 08-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Ryan does this also most every night, or when he hasn't had a nap in a long time during the day. I think he just gets too tired, if that makes sense. We do the walking thing too. DH slings him and goes for their nightly walk, he actually looks forward to it. DS stops crying usually pretty quickly once outside and moving. I know DH tells him about his day, but I am not sure what else he does special it is kind of their bonding time. Most of the time he falls asleep others he just relaxs really close to being asleep and will nurse and then fall asleep.

We just bought a porch swing that we hope he likes when dad is really tired of walking or when they get back from walking or just for a change of pace. We will try it out tonight, DH set it up last night.

I don't think it is colic, just a baby thing around here.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#4 of 5 Old 08-14-2003, 08:39 PM

I have the same problem with my new baby too. I have also experienced "colic" with my other kids. I have determined that my other kids had a dairy protien intolerance, and as long as I stayed dairy free then they were perfectly happy and content babies. I don't know why, but he only gets crabby and colicy in the evenings....after I have eaten something containing dairy. I would describe it as typical colic. If I cut the dairy out, then in about 4-5 days he is happy again. It has been this way with each of my kids....and this is #4, so I have had lots of experience with this

I would recommend trying to cut out dairy, and see what happens. If its dairy, then it will take a couple of days to notice a difference after you eliminate it. I am totally convinced that a lot of colic can be contributed to dairy.

Hope this helps!
#5 of 5 Old 08-16-2003, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replys.....
THurs night, he was only fussy for about 10 minutes then fell asleep.....last night it was for about an hour, with a 10 minute cat nap for him inbetween.
What you describe Ceramae is exactly what Yanic does. And when you said you think he may be overstimulated, that makes sense too, the couple nights that he was really bad, my mom and her boyfriend were here, so we were busy those 3 days....yesterday we went shopping for the day, so I could see overstimulation being the cause too.

I have thought about dairy, but it doesn't seem to matter....I hardly eat any dairy, but the days he was worse, I hadn't had dairy for a couple days.

It's "nice" to hear that I'm not alone. I actually remembered Evy being like this last night, when I started singing "It's beginning to Look alot like Christmas" to Yanic....it brought back the memories of slinging Evy and singing that song....it was the only one that worked! :LOL

I will try walking him outside....only problem there is we live in the bush and it gets dark around the time he gets fussy.

Thanks again!
Jen

This too shall pass, This too shall pass, This too shall pass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page