prednisolone for a baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just returned from the dr. for my 5mo -she has a very congested nose with green goop and very congested cough that is choking her. the dr. we saw was not our regular one - they squeezed us in - and he was very old and really didn't tell me much - even after my ?'s. anyway, he wrote prescriptions for prednisolone - which the pharm. told me is a steroid. also scripts for sulfatrim and albuterol. seems like a lot of med's for a little one. he said the antibiotic is b/c she just had a double ear infection the beginning of november and is at risk for another. i just don't know what to do - seems like a lot for a little one. anyone have any info? i looked the steroid up and didn't see much about using it for a cough.
tia
#2 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Wouldn't hurt to call the dr's office and ask for clarification. Also, (warning) I was on an oral steroid once to clear up a rash, and I could not sleep a wink

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#3 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 PM

That does seem like a lot of meds to me.

I was put on prednisone as a teenager for a rash and had loads of side effects-- also steroids can lower immunity and put you at risk for osteoporosis in later life... As far as antibiotics go, I thought the current medical view was that they were ineffective in treating ear infections and could often lead to a chronic problem (seem to recall reading this in The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine by Murray and someone)

You don't say what you are feeding your baby-(just noticed your signature tho!)- is there a possibility of an allergy or intolerence to dairy or gluten if she is drinking formula? or she could possibly just have a rotten cold in which case steroids/ antibiotics don't seem like they would be helpful and would only lower her immunity further.

I'd consider taking your dd to see a medical herbalist and/ or a homeopath.

Sometimes older Drs don't update there medical knowledge IMO.

Zoe, mamma to Thomas 1-06
#4 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

thank you mamas for your replies! I am so glad i trusted my instinct - and it's always nice to hear it from others, too. i actually talked with a friend of mine whose dh is a dr. and she also said no way! as a matter of fact, it looks like my dd has the same killer cold her ds had two weeks ago. just green snot and a cough.
she's a totally breast fed baby, and i have had little to no dairy for at least a week and a half. so looks like i just wasted a bunch of $ on meds, but better that than over medicating my sweet little dd.
thanks again for your responses!
#5 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 PM

prednisolone? Wow, my ds just had to take that, plus some inhaled steroids because he couldn't breathe properly (croup). I can't imagine taking all that for your basic run-of-the-mill cough.
#6 of 8 Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 PM

I would get a second opinion. It sounds like the same cold as your friends dc but I'm guessing this doc listened to your dc's breathing and such. It is possible your baby does need the meds to help with breathing. Not sure on the antibiotic, I wouldn't medicate just because of a risk, only for an actual infection. Anyway, I would see my regular doc to check it out.
#7 of 8 Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 AM

my ds had rsv as an infant and he was given the albuterol and they warned that if 'wheezing got worse' he would have to have prednisone. maybe your lo has something worse than a cold. having rsv as an infant predisposed ds to having asthma. i rarely can tell when ds is wheezing but the doctor can always hear it.

i would call dr and ask him about each drug and what its treating. i hate that my ds has to have steroids but asthma and not being able to breath is horrible and scary esp for a babe.

good luck getting rid of the yuckies!
#8 of 8 Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogalu33 View Post
my ds had rsv as an infant and he was given the albuterol and they warned that if 'wheezing got worse' he would have to have prednisone. maybe your lo has something worse than a cold. having rsv as an infant predisposed ds to having asthma. i rarely can tell when ds is wheezing but the doctor can always hear it.

i would call dr and ask him about each drug and what its treating. i hate that my ds has to have steroids but asthma and not being able to breath is horrible and scary esp for a babe.

good luck getting rid of the yuckies!
Yes, this is an example of what I was trying to get at. If not treated properly asthma can get worse and even extend into adulthood. If caught and treated properly at a young age many children grow out of it. Hopefully this is not the case with your dc and I do think the doc was wrong to not explain but meds may still be necessary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page