Ah another CIO success story.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-15-2003, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MIL who desperately wants me to let my daughter CIO told me this lovely story yesterday...
When my husband was a baby he used to cry until he threw up. The pediatrician told her not to over fuss over him b/c he would be taught to continue that behavior. (just for the record my husband was adopted when he was 2 mos. old from an orphanage not even a nice loving foster home..so I imagine a scared little baby ) so in order to teach him to sleep she put him to bed...he cried until he threw up. He cried and cried until he fell asleep..in his vomit!!
Now if this story ended with...I felt so bad...I never should have listened to that pediatrican...I could forgive the whole thing. However this story ends with a smug..."And he never did it agian"

That is supposed to convince to let my daughter CIO...Anyone convinced?

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-15-2003, 02:56 PM

:Puke

However, (still no excuse, in my book) things were different then. If she tries to bring it up again point out new research stating how bad professionals today know CIO to be.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#3 of 12 Old 08-15-2003, 02:58 PM

Oh yeah, I'm convinced. I don't think I'd have a problem with ds sleeping in his own vomit. :

no offense to your MIL, btw.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#4 of 12 Old 08-15-2003, 04:00 PM

Yes, and if he sleeps in his own vomit, then there's no need to get up to feed him at night.... Vomit's got a lot of calories and nutrients, you know.
#5 of 12 Old 08-15-2003, 04:31 PM

I'm so convinced I think I will try it tonight!! JK

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#6 of 12 Old 08-15-2003, 06:47 PM

My dd insists on sleeping ON me and there are nights CIO starts to sound good, but stories like this remind me why I don't. (Not that I could bear to listen to her cry that long, anyway.) Thanks for sharing.
#7 of 12 Old 08-16-2003, 04:51 AM

I'll bet you gave your DH a big 'ol hug after hearing that story! Don't you sometimes wish you could go back and parent your loved ones?

Kinda' OT, but I often pray for ds's future partner, and hope that she's being loved deeply by her parents .
#8 of 12 Old 08-16-2003, 09:23 AM

That story could be funny, if it weren't so TRAGIC. I didn't sleep well when I was pregnant, and now that D.W. is 8 mos old, sometimes I feel like these middle of the night feedings and wakings should somehow be eliminated. Then I tell myself what I used to say when I was young and didn't get enough sleep. That I can sleep when I'm dead.

What really bothers me is that instead of trusting our own mothering instincts, our well-meaning relatives insist on their way. My sister (who has no kids) thinks I am just "ridiculous" can't wait for her to have a kid of her own! I could never even try CIO, so it's not an option for me.
#9 of 12 Old 08-16-2003, 11:02 AM

How sad. Thank goodness you have enough compassion to not listen to her "advice".

Jackson's mama~ I do the same thing. I also pray that he meets someone who is an AP'er b/c I can't stand the thought of my future grandbabies being left to CIO, being formula fed (NO offense to FF'ers), not co-sleeping, etc.
#10 of 12 Old 08-16-2003, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm just waiting for my MIL to start in on this (ok well I'm sure she'll at least wait until Orion is born)... she keeps going *on* and *on* about this mobile she saw that plays music for 15 minutes and how wonderful that would have been when my DH was a baby. Then my FIL chimes in "Oh yes, he cried in his crib for HOURS!".

Sheesh yeah like having a baby spend a night in vomit for ANY reason is something you'd like to repeat huh? :

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#11 of 12 Old 08-16-2003, 11:12 PM

I just don't get it...I mean, sleeping in his own vomit? What's worth that?
#12 of 12 Old 08-17-2003, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jackson's mama

I'll bet you gave your DH a big 'ol hug after hearing that story! Don't you sometimes wish you could go back and parent your loved ones?
Yes!!! I do!!!

~~Sierra~~

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page