Baby Bjorn - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-15-2003, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Baby Bjorn carrier (and maybe all upright-style carriers?) are bad for a young baby's develpoment. Maybe bad for their spine or their hips?

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I have a three-week-old who likes the Baby Bjorn but doesn't seem to like the maya wrap in a horizontal position. Is there anything wrong with using the Baby Bjorn around the house for a few hours a day?

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 08-15-2003, 05:48 PM

We used it from about 4 weeks on and had no problems. In fact, most days it was the ONLY way Hank would nap. I would encourage you to try it, he loved it, still does, and we've had no problems. I think its just if you leave them in it for prolonged periods of time that it can cause problems w/ the hips. And hour here and there is not going to hurt anything.
#3 of 4 Old 08-16-2003, 09:16 AM

The baby bjorn was the only carrier my son would use. Now, I find the only way to carry him (for a long period of time) is to "sneak" him into a Nojo (which I also love).

But, another MDC user posted this article after I mentioned how much I loved my BB. here is a link, I hope, to the article.

http://www.continuum-concept.org/rea...nalStress.html

I asked my own chiropractor about the carriers and she said if it's not a lot of time, if it's the only one he'll use, etc. just like anything else, she felt it was OK in moderation. I don't use walkers or anything else that puts him in a standing position, so I felt it was OK for us to use.

you can find this on the www.continuum-concept.org website, they have a lot of really great information that I have gone back to again and again.

it's so hot here that a sling is really impractical for both of us. getting those strong arms is what motherhood is all about
#4 of 4 Old 08-17-2003, 12:46 AM

I had this same situation with my son. We tried a sling but he seemed to dislike the cradle position so we switched to a bjorn and he was very content in it. I think the important thing is that you have your babe right on you. I see so many, the majority really, of moms with their tiny babes in carseat/strollers. Today I saw a young woman wearing her babe in a bjorn type carrier and I wanted to tell her what a great thing she was doing by having her little one on her body, next to her heart. I loved being out with ds when he was tiny and having him right on me. We've since graduated to the sling (at about 3.5 mos) and both enjoy it now. If it's a choice between a stroller or the bjorn I think you're much better off with the bjorn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page