Did you get your carseat checked? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-15-2003, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard that there are places to go to see if you're using it correctly. Now that we've got the Britax, I'm wondering if we should have it checked. I've heard that over half are incorrectly used? (All car seats that is, not just the Britax)

Does anyone know how do find technicians?(I've heard fire stations?) Also, if you did have yours checked, did they find any problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-15-2003, 09:54 PM

I would highly recommend that you try to find someone who has taken the 40 hour class, not the 8 hour class. They are a lot more knowledgeable. I am not a tech but I can tell you that I know a lot more than the people who have only taken the 8 hour class. I highly recommend not only getting your seat checked but having the tech show you how to properly install the seat.

http://www.nhtsa.org/nhtsa/whatis/re...fm?fitting=yes
#3 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! Are the people on that web site certified with the 40 hour course, or does it depend?
#4 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 12:27 PM

It all depends, they are just people that are certified. I would recommend calling ahead and asking about what class they have attended and when their last recertification class what. Certified techs are required to attend recertification classes annually.
#5 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually 80% of all carseats are incorrectly installed. i considered myself the carseat saftey queen. My friends would come to me with questions and thier carseats., I would help them get thier in. I stopped just because I had a new born and wanted to make sure that everything was on the up and up. All of my seats failed!!!!!!! I was appaled. anyway, it is worth your 30 minutes to get the checked and properly installed. We bought a new car the otherday and were planning on giong in today and having them checked. (but everyone is throwing up so we will wait ). It just never hurts.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 04:44 PM

I have and it is free. Why not take 40 minutes and make sure your baby is safe? Oh and I had the locking clip on the wrong side:LOL It is funny now because I don't know how I got that wrong..
#7 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 07:41 PM

I actually had the traffic safety officer in the town where DH works install Maggie's car seat base. We had them do it when I was about 32 weeks due to my being at risk to deliver early. We haven't touched the base since then, even when it has been in the way. When we move Maggie into a convertable seat, we will have the same thing done. DH watched them do it and knows how if he has too, but we both feel better knowing somebody who is well-trained installed Maggie's seat.

They also recommend you bring it to be inspected when the baby is in it.

Besides traffic safety officers (which probably don't exist in most small towns- I know mine doesn't have one), you can have it done -sometimes- by regular police officers who have had the training, at some children's stores, by AAA, and by the SAFE KIDS campaign, when the hold free inspections. Call your local hospital- they should definitely be able to tell you where to get it done.
#8 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 07:50 PM

I second the thought of taking getting it checked with the child in it. Having it correctly in the car is only half the battle, becuase it doesn't matter how correctly the seat is hooked to the car if the child isn't correctly strapped in the seat or the seat is the wrong size for the child or the straps are worn or ....... And once you have it in correctly, check it periodically, because belts/tethers can loosen over time, and the straps need tightening/loosening depending on the clothing the child wears. I'm sure this is already stuff you know, the anal side of me just had to say it. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page