DS Hates the Carseat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2003, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had posted this in the parenting section, but it was suggested that I move it over here.....

Help, I mean he REALLY hates it! DS is 3 months old and has never liked being in the car. Either dh or myself always sits next to him in the backseat, but although he might be happy for 5-10 minutes, after that he screams bloody murder. We've tried having toys that play music, not having toys back there, he has a mirror where he can see himself (and I can see him too), we're out of ideas. Of course darling mil says to just put him in it and he'll "get over it," but that's not accetable to me. We are going to visit my family (2 hours away) and I'm dreading the trip.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 02:21 AM
Len

I'm with you! When ds was a baby, it was hell everytime we went out in the car, even for short trips. Pretty much the only thing that calmed him down was if I BF him (while he was on his carseat and I was seating next to him wearing a seatbelt, go figure!) we tried everything and nothing seemed to work. If we had to make longer trips we tried to go when we knew he was going to fall asleep. Sometimes a pacifier would help, because he wasn't used to one so I guess it was the novelty, or a bottle with water to suck on (yeah, the breasts didn't stretch for that long!) and sometimes having the dog in the back (of our station wagon) would entertain him as well.
The only positive thing I may be able to tell you is that it got better, but only at around 1 year of age.
I'm glad to hear that you don't support carseat CIO.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:39 AM

I'm in the same predicament, except that I don't have to take any long trips, but my ds will be 4 weeks old on Wednesday. We've only taken a couple of very short trips (drs. appts.), but he hates the carseat - and so far - although I've tried - I can't figure out how to bf with him in the seat.

What I don't understand is how I'll ever be able to go anywhere with him by myself. So far either my dh or my mom has been with me so I can stay in the back with him to try to comfort him. I can't imagine going anywhere with him in the back seat by himself while I drive. On another string someone mentioned a "lovey" or stuffed bear for car rides, but I don't think my ds will be receptive to that until he's much older - what about in the meantime?
Old 08-17-2003, 03:00 AM

We've been there too. My ds used to absolutely hate his carseat. Any drive of longer than 5 minutes was met with non-stop crying, breath-holding spells...etc. We tried to get him used to his carseat by putting him in it while in the house and playing with his favourite toys but that didn't seem to help.

It will get better. Now ds is almost 9 months old and can tolerate drives of about 30 minutes. If he does cry, it's more like fussing rather than screaming. We survived those first few months by:
-Making sure that we got out of the house everyday (usually a walk with baby in the sling).
-Using on-line grocery store ordering and delivery
-Only driving where absolutely necessary (Dr.s appts)
-Singing constantly while driving (seems to distract both mother and baby)

I'm really glad we didn't let him CIO in the carseat. He has slowly become happier and more relaxed about car rides. Hang in there!
Old 08-17-2003, 06:20 PM

Sorry, that is so hard! I was the one who posted about a bear for the car ride, but that didn't work until my dd was about 5-6 mo. We just tried everything...I take dd to work with me and so we had to figure out some solutions. Mostly I tried to time it so that she was tired and would fall asleep. But we pulled over a lot in the beginning and held her, nursed, etc. Also, she seems to love Lyle Lovett CDs...it always helped her go to sleep when she was younger : whatever works! But really, although it might not seem like it, it does get better! DD mostly babbles for short trips to herself or her bear, and we commute during naptime.

Good luck...I know it's rough.
Peace.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sam roo-we finally foumd the trick...bottles of pumped breastmilik!!!!! No latch cinfusion at this point and it always comforts him. now i just have to make sure i have it for road trips...not totally safe but i will lean my hand back with the bottle f i am driving alone!!!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!

User Tag List