What is a baby head supposed to smell like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
People keep smelling my baby's head and I'm confused by this.
Are they expecting him to smelll like J&J baby cream? Perfume? Sour milk? What?

I use the baby mild Dr. Bronner's on his body and "hair" so nosmell is detectable.

Yet last week at a part someone came up and smelled his head and said "Yup, smells like a newborn"

Um, like what? Hoochie? Placenta?
What is this About?
#2 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 12:00 AM

mmmm...vernix...mmmm
#3 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 AM

I don't know how to describe it. It's a very soothing smell that has no words that I can properly express it with. (I smell my baby's head all the time)
#4 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 03:13 AM

My baby smelled like armpit every once in a while because I would snuggle her with my arm wrapped around her body.

My sister says that everyone loves the way babies smell because they smell like breasts, so maybe that's what they are smelling.
#5 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I smell my baby's head a lot, too. When he was a newborn, it smelled kind of sweet, kind of earthy. Now he has a soft, faint milk smell. (And occasionally armpit stink.) I could identify my baby by the smell of his head alone, if I had to! I don't smell other babies' heads, though. Seems weird.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#6 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 03:34 AM

Oh how I love the smell of newborn baby! DH jokes we had to have another one because the smell wore off DD. I can't really describe it, but it really is a smell all it's own.
#7 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 AM

our baby smells like fresh baked bread, but when i smelled other babies, they didn't... so i don't know. i don't think it is like puppy breath, where all puppies have it
#8 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Because it smells good...plus I'm nosy and want to know if they're breastfeeding.
#9 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurumiSophia View Post
I don't know how to describe it. It's a very soothing smell that has no words that I can properly express it with. (I smell my baby's head all the time)
me too

but i am a very sensual person -- meaning, when it comes to smells and tastes

my memories are triggered by smells and tastes
#10 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 AM

My baby smelled like baby powder. I only ever use water to clean him, and no lotion or anything. I've smelled it on other babes too. Makes me think that the people who make baby powder made it to smell like babies. At about 4 months I stopped being able to smell that lovely smell, but my aunt assures me it's still there...he still smells like a baby! I wish I could still smell it!

caffix.gif

#11 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 09:14 AM

We always thought DS smelled like cookies...
#12 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
me too

but i am a very sensual person -- meaning, when it comes to smells and tastes

my memories are triggered by smells and tastes
(nak)

Same here. I also have visual and audio triggers for memories. Good to know I'm not the only one.
#13 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 12:11 PM

dd smells earthy...not in a bad way, but in a way that I find really comforting. We use unscented products (sensitive skin) but she has her own unique smell.
#14 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 12:21 PM

It is not easy to describe its just new baby smell---its delicious and you always miss it when it goes away especially b/c one day its just not there anymore----on the flip side I was smelling my friends newborn head and I was saying how much I loved that smell---she said she assumed that's what her uterus smelled like b/c her babe had been for the last 9+ months----
#15 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 12:47 PM

My babies head smelled greasy for a while. Then I got rid of the cradle cap. Now she spits up in her sleep so she always smells like stinky old cheese. I think that is coming from behind her ears and in her neck creases.

I love my little stinky baby.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#16 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 03:14 PM

I was just going to reply that yesterday Ellen's head smelled like dh's armpit all day b/c he was snuggling her a lot the previous night. Glad to see ours isn't the only armpit baby!

(I have to admit, I kinda liked it, b/c it is his unique smell, and it was soothing to me to have that close to me all day when he was away. Yep, I'm a freak. )

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#17 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I was just going to reply that yesterday Ellen's head smelled like dh's armpit all day b/c he was snuggling her a lot the previous night. Glad to see ours isn't the only armpit baby!

(I have to admit, I kinda liked it, b/c it is his unique smell, and it was soothing to me to have that close to me all day when he was away. Yep, I'm a freak. )
No you're not. :-) I wear my husband's clothes that he's worn while he's at work too. DH has the most awesome smell. I'll even put one of his dirty shirts in w/DD to get her to nap since she likes to wait for him to sleep.
#18 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 04:37 PM

DD1 had/has a very sweet smell, DD2 smells earthy and musky. they both smell amazing. now that DD1 is older she doesn't smell as strongly, but when she gets sick she smells like a newborn again.
#19 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Objectively I would say my baby smells fairly bad, in that earthy way, but of course I love her smell. Anyway, it's pretty faint.

I imagine many babies smell like their soap or lotion.

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#20 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister31 View Post
It is not easy to describe its just new baby smell---its delicious and you always miss it when it goes away especially b/c one day its just not there anymore
Yep, I completely agree with this. I love the way my babies' heads smelled! My mom joked that she and I were getting DS' hair very greasy from kissing him so much, just because he smelled so good. There's just something about that newborn smell, maybe just mother mammal recognition or something.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#21 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Both of my dds had a newborn smell that was earthy and sweet at the same time, and it only seemed to last for the first few days of life. I loved it! I think it was from the amniotic fluid....
#22 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 PM

My baby's hair smells like my own (and my family of origin's) natural hair and skin smell. Everyone has their own natural smell separate from shampoo or lotion, and family members tend to have the same smell. Just my observations...

I smell my baby's hair compulsively all day long like a Febreeze commercial. I don't smell other babies though.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#23 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 07:13 PM

nak

Oh, I LOVE the smell of a new baby!! It's like drugs to me. I'd forgotten that smell until #2 was born. as soon as she was born and dry i smelled her and started to swoon.

i still love the smell of my kids' heads but it's just not the same as a brand new baby.

Jill, unabashed baby head smeller
#24 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurumiSophia View Post
: I can't believe you don't know "the new baby smell". It's divine. It has NOTHING to do with baby products. We don't use anything like that, and I close my eyes and smell my baby's head in pure joy all.day.long.
#25 of 37 Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 PM

My mom says that smell is nature's way of protecting babies. You know, so we don't abandon them on doorsteps when they keep us up all night.

There's nothing in the world like the smell of a new baby. Nothing. It's like earth and milk and ocean (and yeah, sour spitup ) and it makes me melt just thinking about it. Mine are losing that smell, and it's the saddest thing.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#26 of 37 Old 12-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
My mom says that smell is nature's way of protecting babies. You know, so we don't abandon them on doorsteps when they keep us up all night.

There's nothing in the world like the smell of a new baby. Nothing. It's like earth and milk and ocean (and yeah, sour spitup ) and it makes me melt just thinking about it. Mine are losing that smell, and it's the saddest thing.
i think my 7.5 month old's head smells fabulous. it's warm and animal-y. is that word? no.

anyhow, is this the same as the "new baby" smell? is she new enough? i love her smell so much!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#27 of 37 Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 AM

Baby's heads smell HEAVENLY. You never noticed? Theres nothing like it. When DD was born and they forgot to wash her (yay!) she smelled divine. I dont know if it was amniotic fluid, or just some biological reaction of mine but I could have just consumed her.
#28 of 37 Old 12-23-2007, 03:08 AM

I read somewhere that babies smell triggers some hormone in mama's to make us take care of them. Can't recall where I heard that now.

Babies smell like heaven. I want to bottle it. The only thing better is the breath of a breastfed baby.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#29 of 37 Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Babies smell like heaven. I want to bottle it.
Sorry. J-Lo beat you to it.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#30 of 37 Old 12-23-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
OMG!! There you go, OP! (Funny, I've always said whoever could reproduce that smell and bottle it up would make a fortune....)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page