Do you feel it is your responsibility to make sure your baby naps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-20-2003, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am struggling with this...dd will only take a good nap in the sling! She is 8 1/2 months old and getting HEAVY! In the sling she will sleep for an hr or more 2-3 times a day. If I try to take her out and lie down with her, sometimes she will keep sleeping, but more often she will wake up.

Everyday, I do the nap routine and then wear her in the sling while I sit at the computer. My back hurts, my neck hurts and i feel foolish. I can't do anything else while she is in the sling because she is a light sleeper and wakes up.

Somehow though I feel that as her mom and as a sahm, it is my job to make sure her needs are met and napping is one of them!

Does anyone else feel like this? I don't know what else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-20-2003, 04:27 PM

Gavin is about 7.5 months and if he wants a nap and is ready for one, then he has one, but otherwise, I don't force the issue. This means that sometimes he takes a nap an hour or so after waking up in the morning, and other times it's 3 (or more) hours before he has his first nap. In the evening, sometimes he takes one, sometimes two, but usually they aren't at the same time.

I can always tell when Gavin is ready for a nap when he starts getting really fussy. If I don't let him get to this point and go lay down with him before, it gets nowhere, besides him continually going to crawl towards the kitties, towards the edge of the bed, climbing on me, eating my nose, etc etc.

I'm a SAHM and really enjoy when he DOES nap as that means I can finally eat, but I don't feel the need to force a nap that he doesn't want or isn't fully ready for. I'd suggest letting HER tell you when she's ready for a nap. If she is ready for a nap, if you lay down with her until she's asleep, chances are, she's not going to wake up until she's ready for the nap to be over.

HTH.
#3 of 4 Old 08-20-2003, 07:51 PM

I help my baby go to sleep if he's acting like he's obviously unhappy because he's tired. I don't watch the clock, and I can't even tell you how many times he naps in a normal day. Sometimes it's just once or twice; other days it's about 4 or 5 times. My DS happens to be one of those babies who usually drops off to sleep rather easily, but if he's having problems, I do try to do what I can to help him sleep. For us, that usually means putting him in a room with nothing going on and either snuggling with him or nursing him, depending on if he's hungry.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably try to find another way to get your baby to sleep if she acts like she really needs to sleep. There's nothing that says that you have to do something that hurts you. In fact, if it's too hard on your back, it could cause you an injury that would prevent you from doing other things you need to do for her. I would try to start doing a certain routine when she gets sleepy, like taking her to a quiet, dark room, nursing her while you sing softly and rub her back, and then lay down beside her and snuggle until she drops off. It may not help her to sleep well at first, but eventually, she'll probably figure out that nothing exciting is going to be going on for her to miss, and she'll go to sleep more willingly. I guess I should state that this assumes that your DD is willing to go along with all of this. If she screams and acts like that's not what she wants to do at all, then I'd either find another routine or assume she doesn't need a nap at all.
#4 of 4 Old 08-21-2003, 12:39 AM

Acugirl, For the first 4 months of dd's life, she only napped in the sling. We couldn't get more than 40 minutes anywhere else, and it was usually only 20. Also, we had to be walking outside. If we sat down or came in the house, she woke up.
At about 3-4 months, dh started trying to get her to sleep in her big pram. I must admit, I don't know if I'd have kept trying but he did. Many times she'd really cry and he'd have to come home and put her in the sling. But he was persistent and now she sleeps great in her pram. If she's really tired, we just push it for a couple of minutes, then park her out in the backyard. I don't consider this CIO, because whenever she started crying hard, dh would stop with the buggy and put her in the sling.
So, I think the thing is to try different routines, knowing that at first they won't work very well. We made sure dd got at least one good nap/day and then if the second or third nap didn't work as well, it wasn't such a problem.
Now if only I could practice what I preach and find some way of getting dd to sleep at night!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page