What time for mom and baby class?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas!!

I have been teaching prenatal yoga for about a year and now my studio has asked me to teach a mom and baby class!!

Since I do not have a little yoga baby of my own (YET...we're workin' on it ) I was hoping you could help me.....

Thinking about your schedule and your babe's nap times etc.....what time of the day and what day of the week do you think would be best for a class?? The class would be an hour long. It would be for babies 3 months to crawling.

Also....to start they want me to do a one-hour mom and baby yoga workshop...this would have to be on the weekend...probably on a Sunday (due to studio availability). What time do you think? Also...what do you think of having the workshop (and maybe the class) open to dads too?

Thanks for any input you can give!!!!

~Erin
#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 02:57 AM

The class I go to (when I can get a sitter for my 3 y.o.) is on Thursdays at 11:00 AM (1 1/2 hours). I think it used to be at 10:00, but they found that was too early for people to get there. Ds doesn't have any set nap times yet, so that's not an issue. I don't recall it being a problem when I used to go with dd. She slept, nursed, cried or just hung out.

Are you planning on involving the babies in the class or is it mostly just for the moms to be able to bring their babies? The one I go to is strictly for the moms, although it is very relaxing for everyone (Kundalini yoga) & I'm sure the babies enjoy it too.

I think weekdays usually work best for new moms since they usually have dh home to help out or do something as a family on weekends. Especially for first time moms, it gives them something to look forward to during the week.

Not sure what a workshop would be as opposed to a class. It might be nice to have the dads in on that one just so they can see what's going on, although I think the pre-natal one I went to was better for that & gave dh some massage tips. I don't see a problem with having classes open to dads, but I also don't see too many dads being interested in something like that (unless you are going to be doing exercises involving the baby that they can learn to do at home).

I'm also wondering why you are putting an age limit on being able to start in the class. When dd was born, the first three months seemed to last forever...I think I would have gone crazy waiting that long to go back to yoga. My pre-natal instructor always said you should stay home & bond, etc. for 40 days (&, to be honest, I felt no desire to do anything before that with dd), but if someone wanted to come to class after a month or so I don't see why that would be a problem.

HTH

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Helen~

Thanks so much. Great feedback!!

I have been looking around here and most studios advertise mom and baby classes for "3 months to crawling" so I was just going to follow suit but I am TOTALLY open to having younger babes in the class. I think that's a great idea.

I'm hoping to do some parts of the class with the babies although the main focus is for mamas to relax, rebuild their core strength, meet other new mamas etc. I am also going to include some basic infant massage techniques.

I don't think my studio is going to offer the class for several months. They want to test the waters with a one-time workshop in October so that's why I was asking about a workshop vs. a weekly class. In October I will just be doing a one-time 1- 1.5 hour workshop and then if the response is good, they will add a weekly class to the schedule in the winter.

Thanks again!

~Erin
#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 11:01 AM

If it's a one-time-thing, I think a weekend would be great. That might give you the opportunity to test the waters & see if there are enough moms to come in during the week. I would think after 10:00 would be the best for time.

Is Delaware the smallest state, or is it RI? If it's DE/Wilmington area, I'd drive to come to a mom-baby yoga class!
#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah...I'm in Rhode Island. Too bad...I would love to have some mothering mamas in my class!
#6 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 09:07 AM

I would advertise that dads could come too, I doubt there will be much response for them but if there is a dad who would want to you wouldn't want to leave him out. I agree with about 11, because then mommas could go to lunch afterwards if they make friends in the class.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#7 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys!!
#8 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 04:07 PM

I did mom-and-baby-yoga with my dd. We started when she was four weeks old and stopped, when she lost interest, at seven months.

Our class was in the morning, 10ish, I think. Some weeks it worked out, others it didn't.

I also have to say that my dh would never, ever, ever agree to attend dad-and-baby yoga. And why would he? The class was designed to restore pre-pregnancy core strength, which isn't really a dad issue.

Be careful though. I feel as though my pre/post-natal yoga instructor was privy to too many nitty gritty details about parenting. Now she doesn't seem to want kids, whereas before, she did. Sad but true.
#9 of 9 Old 08-22-2003, 06:01 PM

I want a mom-only class (no dads, not no babies!) and I can't find one...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page