Jan Babes--Happy Bday and Happy New Year! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here we go! Here's to wishing you all an amazing New Year. We'll be setting off fireworks (it gets crazy here in Hawaii, the neighbors have already built a giant tower to hang strands of firecrackers--upwards of 10, 20 and 30 THOUSAND crackers at a time) and tomorrow we'll be eating traditional "good luck" foods like Ozoni, sweet beans, mochi and sashimi and watching the Sugar Bowl (UH went undefeated --Go Wariors!). I worried that Kai would be afraid of all the noise, but so far he's been thrilled watching the fireworks, though it's not even dark here yet and the big show hasn't even started.

May our Little one's bring us all as much wonder and joy in 2008 as they did in 2007. Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Jennifer! Whenever I read your posts I just imagine how incredible it musty be to be raising Kai in Hawaii. It just must be so beautiful, peaceful, warm, fun, interesting and incredible.

Our New Years eve was spent in bed, as Sorelle has her very first cold. It's mild, with a runny nose, but last night was far from a fun first New Years eve. Plus we are in Boston, and it is COLD and SNOWY! See? Hawaii is sounding pretty incredible right about now.

I was really hoping we would make it through one whole year with no sickness, but it's hard around the holidays with so many people around, all of the shopping etc.

Sorelle is doing great. She is still mostly a mummysmilk girl, but does eat solids on a semi regulary schedule. Some weeks she wants more, other weeks not interested in much.

She is crawling and pulling up to stand, but no walking. She says mam, dad, light , bk (book) and dig (for dog). She is a great communicator. She is impatient though, and gets fussy easily.

What is everyone going to have as a cake for the first bday's? Sorelle hasn't had any sweets yet and I would like to keep it that way..so any ideas for her first "cake" without it being sugary??

Here are some latest pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/kearneypd

Happy New Years & Happy Birthday everyone!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 PM

My baby, Silvia, will be one on the 30th. She is my second child (wonderful VBAC experience with no drugs and 15 minute delivery at the hospital ). She has been sick quite a bit, although she is not in daycare (I blame it on the germs that the rest of us bring home). She is breastfed , eats solids, wakes up several times at night , and she is been walking for more than a month now . She LOVES to play with her brother, these are the most wonderful moments, to see them play, laugh together. We'll have a small party for her, and yes, cake, mommy likes it

Happy Birthday to all the January Babes!

Mom to DS (04) , DD ( 07) , DS ( 09)
Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbaby View Post
Jennifer! Whenever I read your posts I just imagine how incredible it musty be to be raising Kai in Hawaii. It just must be so beautiful, peaceful, warm, fun, interesting and incredible.
Actually, we are only here on holiday. I grew up in Hawaii, and my family is here so we come back twice a year. It just worked out that we (me and the boys) spent the entire summer here--that's why so many of my posts have been about our time here! the other 3/4 of the year we are in Virginia. It is pretty great to be in the islands. We spend a ton of time in the pool or playing at the beach. The kids both love to go to the tide pools a few miles from my parent's house. We splash and collect shells and hermit crabs and build sand castles all while sharing the beach with Hawaiian Monk Seals. It's been pretty cool. Now if only my family wasn't driving me crazy...

We've been battling colds all year. DS#1 was really healthy for his first two years, but since Kai was born it seems like at least one of us has been sick every one of the last 52 weeks. Here's to a healthier 2008 :.

Kai's going to get regular old cake for his birthday. He just won't get more than a bite or two.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:02 PM

My little guy will be 1 on the 14th! Man did this year go by fast!
Luckily he has not had any colds yet (knock on wood). He is still breastfeeding a few times a day, eating lots of solids, crawling all over the place and just starting to take some serious steps in the last few days, he sleeps through the night and I think he is finally working on getting his first tooth! It has been an exciting year watching him grow. We are going to be making him a vegan carrot cake with tofutti cream cheese frosting...I only plan on giving him a little piece. He loves muffins (gingerbread and apple spice so far). :

***Happiest of first birthdays to all the January 2007 babes!***

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&id=510085200
Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Hi Everyone!

Not to be cliche, but I can't believe it's almost been a year already? Is anyone feeling a little melancholy about their LOs turning one? I'm excited, but it just didn't seem like DD was a baby very long (even though she's still a baby, you know what I mean). We've started putting away some of her baby toys that she's too old for now and each time we put something away I get a little twinge of sadness. Or maybe I'm hormonal...

DD is fantastic, she says "mama" and "dada" and "na na na" (for no). She also calls her aunt something like "aaa-ma." She's not walking yet but I think it's looming...she stands up on her own for substantial periods of time and cruises a lot. She's got four teeth and I think maybe two more on the way.

Anyone else a WOHM? I'm planning on quitting pumping at work on when DD turns one in a month, but I can't decide if what to give her during the day? I'm not crazy about formula, or cow's milk, but I've heard some advocate goat's milk? Any suggestions? Even the prospect of quitting pumping (which I'm definitely sick of) makes me feel a little sad.

But anyway, I think I'm rambling. Happy birthday and new year, all!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 PM

EstellesMommy:
We give our son soy milk or hemp milk diluted with water. He really likes it. I don't drink cows milk so I'm not going to give it to him and I refuse to do formula. He only has to have it a few times a week since I only work p/t. He eats other soy products and has had no reactions to those so we went ahead with soy milk and we've been giving it to him for a couple months.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=EarthMamaVT;10168764]EstellesMommy:
We give our son soy milk or hemp milk diluted with water.QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions! Where do you buy hemp milk? I don't think I've ever seen it.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM

DD has just turned one today! How time flies!
I can't believe I have an acrobatic nursing toddler in my arms right now
We didn't organise a party.
Instead we listened to songs and danced with our lil girl.
I had read that some moms freeze their breast milk and make kinda of an ice cream instead of a cake for their babies.Great idea, isn't it?
We were on holiday and just returned yesterday so I was too tired to pump some milk.(I hand express if need be)
Anyway, Defne started to walk last week.
It's nice see my girl wandering in the house
Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM

we get our hemp milk at our local food coop. he gobbles it right down! yum!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 PM

JAYDEN IS ONE TODAY!! Hope everyone has been well, she is VERY active....I have no time to post usually b/c she is on the go all the time and still naps in my arms. She had her Dr appt yesterday and she is 18lbs and 28 1/2 inches long. We are having what was supposed to be a small get together tomorrow, but when I added everyones children, I am going to have a house overrun with people. Its great to know so many people love her tho. Anyway, Happy Birthday to everone else's dc if I don't get here agian.

As far as milk goes, at this point I am still bfing as long as possible and I sometimes just pump and give it to her in a cup with her meals. I havn't decided what else I am going to do. I know she has had some cheese (these things happen when two year olds are involved) and she was OK.

I have not posted in like 6 months so I am curious about whos walking and talking and all. Jayden is not walking but says quite a few words and signs some things too. Infact today we were looking at a book and looked at a dog and I said " the dog says bark-bark" and she said "bark-bark". It was cute.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 AM

Happy Birthday Babies!
Liliana will be one on the 10th. We have a dedication & birthday combo planned for her. Her big bro has some interesting themes planned for her: pirates, knights... ha ha!
We're going to eat lunch & play music thanks to talented dh!

Dd has taken 2 steps many times, but then drops to a rapid crawl. Sadly, she weaned last week and I went back on my rheumatoid arthritis meds. At least now I'll be able to walk & chase a busy toddler. Still, I have cried every day for over a week trying to cope with the fact that I'm done bfing forever. Amazingly, dd has been fine with it. She protested all of 15 min. for with dh and has been going to sleep just fine. She isn't especially fond of cow's milk & I'm almost out of my bf stockpile. I've been giving her yogurt, cheese, broccoli, multivitamin... and she eats like a horse! I just stand at the fridge pulling out more food to put on her high chair!

She says mama, dada, bubba, nana (banana), hi, bye, wow (my favorite), baby, and ho ho (as in Santa). She claps, signs 'all done' & bird, and waves. She is such a climber too. We have to really keep our eyes on her.

Brown Bear continues to be her favorite book.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 AM

Jayden says "HO HO" for santa too, even before we said anything about santa around her. Hey, I was also wondering if anyone had a favorite month in the last year as far as their babes. Mine was month 8 b/c she was starting to crawl but still had a little chunk on her so she was all pudgy.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 AM

I really can't believe it, boy how time flies. I hope everyone had a good holiday! It's been a while since I've posted.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM

amelia took her first couple step with my sis last night while i was cooking dinner. then a few mins later dh got here and she took a couple steps to him. who elses lo's are walking? i guess she isnt really walking yet, but i think now that she has figured out that she can do it she will try more and more. she turns on on the 21st.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Kai is an early walker (much like his big brother). He's been walking on his own for 2 months now. It's really funny to see how others react to him running around because he's quite small for his age so he looks even younger than he is. We were at the beach yesterday and ended up surrounded by a gaggle of Japanese tourist who were just amazed at the "tiny baby walking". Kai is now the star of half a dozen stranger's holiday photos .

Kiddo may be motoring around, but he's not really verbal yet. He makes a lot of sounds (I swear he says "High Five!") but nothing consistent, not even "mamma" or "dada" yet. As different as my two boys are, Kai seems to be following the same timeline that his big brother did on most major milestones--They rolled over, started walking, cut teeth, etc. at almost exactly the same age as one another. The only major difference is that Kai demanded solids much earlier than Koa. At 11 1/2 months Kai eats more at dinner than His 3 1/2 year old brother! Funny, since Kai is a little peanut and Koa is still really big for his age.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEyes View Post
Sadly, she weaned last week and I went back on my rheumatoid arthritis meds. At least now I'll be able to walk & chase a busy toddler. Still, I have cried every day for over a week trying to cope with the fact that I'm done bfing forever. Amazingly, dd has been fine with it. She protested all of 15 min. for with dh and has been going to sleep just fine.
It's really great that you stuck with it for a year- I know you mentioned in the past that you were in a lot of pain. You gave her a really great gift. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Corryn is doing well. She had a cold last month, but it was really pretty minor. She's cruising all over the place, taking a step here and there, but no real walking yet. She's a little interested in food, especially if it's spicy. No words yet and only a few signs, but she still manages to communicate just fine. She's has quite a temper and will throw things down when she gets mad about something. That ought to be interesting as she hits full toddlerhood! She's also very sweet and loves to snuggle. Her favorite things to play with are the water in the bathtub and the dog. Thankfully I have a very tolerant dog
Old 01-05-2008, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
amelia took her first couple step with my sis last night while i was cooking dinner. then a few mins later dh got here and she took a couple steps to him. who elses lo's are walking? i guess she isnt really walking yet, but i think now that she has figured out that she can do it she will try more and more. she turns on on the 21st.
Zachary started walking on the 23rd of last month, a few days before he turned 11 months. He is walking 5-6 steps at a time now, and is much more independent now....especially while chasing the dog. He is also a climber, so he requires someone CONSTANTLY watching him or he's bound to land on his head. This was new for us, dd was not such a climber so young.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Liesbet will be one in a week! i can't believe it. she's not walking but she is crawling and pulling herself up on everything. she talks a blue streak although the only recognizable words are "kitty" and "baby" although "baby" doesn't mean baby, it means "cut it out" or "i want comfort". she loves playing with her kitties, and the kitties love her. she has a little cold right now that she got over Christmas from all the family that was over, and she gave it to me, thanks. : she has also finally started teething with a vengeance. she didn't get her first tooth until 10.5 months and is now working on 2,3,4 all at the same time, poor babe. it's so hard to believe that our little 4lb 15 oz newborn is almost one!

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Fay

All through 2007 -- with colic, acid reflux, getting up every hour in the night with a crying baby, every breastfeeding problem in the book (except mastitis, thank goodness!), lack of weight gain and developmental concerns about my baby, my own health problems, trying to take care of DS1's special needs, putting my marriage on life support -- I kept saying, "I just want to live to see his first birthday."

My baby smiles all the time now. He adores his big brother and parents. He walks one or two steps at a time and is flirtacious. I am so happy to be alive to see this!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
All through 2007 -- with colic, acid reflux, getting up every hour in the night with a crying baby, every breastfeeding problem in the book (except mastitis, thank goodness!), lack of weight gain and developmental concerns about my baby, my own health problems, trying to take care of DS1's special needs, putting my marriage on life support -- I kept saying, "I just want to live to see his first birthday."

My baby smiles all the time now. He adores his big brother and parents. He walks one or two steps at a time and is flirtacious. I am so happy to be alive to see this!
Glad things are better now-congrats on surviving it!

It's been a tough year for us, too. It's getting better now. I got mastitis for you- 4 times, actually. I was able to avoid antibiotics all 4 times, thankfully. Still so completely sucks.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Happy Newyear and Happy B-days to all the Jan babes!!
DS will be 1 at the end of the month, the 30th. It's totally true that this year has gone by so incredibly fast.
The way it's going, I think DS will be walking by the time his b-day rolls around. He's pulling up to a stand and trying to walk while holding onto something all the time. Funny thing is he isn't crawling on his hands and knees (yet?), he still sort of slides forward.
He can say different words, but his favorite word right now is: (obviously the Dutch word for it) "juice". He calls everything, be it food or drink "juice". He knows that word because he steals DD's sippy cup all the time, and we always call what she drinks "juice" (even when it's not, it's silly, I know). He empties the cup really fast, and looooves it. I'd rather have him nurse a bit, but once in a while it's ok to drink something else I guess. Do you guys let your LO drink something other than BM?
Tonight he finished quite a large plate of pasta with a bit of Parmezan and veggies, he ate more than his sister at 2,5 yrs! Unbelievable how much that child can eat. :
It's so much fun to read what all the other brand new 1 yr-olds are doing! I'm thinking of doing a real party, inviting people and having a real cake, but I'm not sure yet. And what to get him as a present? I have no idea.... What are you guys getting your LO's??

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 AM

Liliana has started shaking her head "NO" for things. I thought I had a few more months before this!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 AM

LilWin Zachary drinks water throughout the day, he LOVES water. He still nurses quite a lot and eats a lot of solids as well. He also started shaking his head "no". It is super funny....right now anyway. The other night he crawled up to the recycling bucket and stopped right in front of it and shook his head no......right before he reached in and grabbed a bottle out of it. Silly boy.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 PM

ah, yes the cliche of "I CAN"T BELIEve it!" she is still that little baby i put on my stomach after being so peacefully born at home. her smiles are magnificient and her eyelashes touch her eyebrows. she isn't walking yet but is starting to get into everything. it is hard to let go and see her enter the world more and more. i think it's because i can't protect her as much as she gets older and that makes me sad. okay, i am getting a bit melancholy. i need some more of my "joyful mother" tea to calm these hormones!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Nice to know that I'm not the only one getting weepy and hormonal! Last night I called my husband plaintatively into the living room because I started to cry while putting a baby blanket on my recliner. I had suddenly recalled the early days of snuggling my tiny boy and holding him almost all day in the recliner while he nurse-napped. He is so different now and so beautiful. He has been walking since 9.5 months and he can climb up and down the stairs and get out of bed on his own. His latest craze is spinning in a circle to get dizzy and he has started making car sounds while playing with a car.
As for solids he has always loved them and eats most of what we eat now. He still nurses very frequentlt though and doesn't really drink much else beyond a few sips of water from time to time. I still haven't decided what to give him for a "birthday cake" I'm considering carrot cake or maybe a relatively unsweetened peach cobbler because he loves peaches. We bought his presents from atoygarden ; a wool sheep(sooo cute) a small rainstick, and an ebony turtle. I also made him a couple of wooden and crocheted toys.
He talks alot though alot of it is baby gibberish. He also copies what we say alot and can say turtle, mama, dada, do it, dont, get it, duck and baby not perfectly of course but I can understand it. Oh and he started saying no repeatedly though I think it is mostly for fun right now he does say it after I tell him no to something.
As for EC he doesn't want to poop sitting on the potty right now but he recognizes the word and sign for potty and knows what it is for. I imagine he will regain interest in the potty when he feels like it.
Oh I almost forgot teeth! He has six teeth! The top middle two and bottom and the ones on either side of the top middle ones. They are so cute! Well worth the horrible miserable bouts of teething . . .
I adore being a mom though I gotta say it is the most difficult thing I have ever done. I admire those of you who have had bigger problems than I have and who have gotten through with happy amazing babies! In fact, congratulations to all of us and our little ones for making it through the first year! I cant wait the witness the developements of this year!
So is anyone else already anxious to have another one . . . . ?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:06 PM

Wendy, Fay and all of you amazing mamas...how incredible you all are. Our babes are one, and what a year it has been. Some of us had it easier than others, but all of us have done our best and survived. Congrats to you all!!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 AM

Happy birthday January babies!

DS has been ahead of himself all year, so I'm starting to feel like I've missed "baby" time. He's very independent and rather laid back. Loves to eat and nursing a lot still, loves his veggies, and drinks water (or just lets it fall out again ) all day. He's been walking since around 9 months (another early walker), and for the past month or more he's been climbing on couches and chairs. And boxes. And coffee tables. He was always big, but he's been thinning out with all the activity. I miss my chubby baby. Anyway, he talks, but it seems random. He'll say something and I wonder if he really knows what it means since he won't repeat it again. Like he said "all done" at lunch. He does repeat mama, dada, that, what, no. He's working on 3 molars and has another all the way in already. But he's still tiny baby when he's tired or wants to nurse. Gotta love those cuddles!

Xan
stay at home, unschooling mommy to D (Jan., '07), G (May '09), T (Nov '10), and M (Jan '13)

Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Ok so we had a real party with grandparents and cousins and all, and a special cake just for Jayden that was supposed to be white with half the sugar...it was chocolate! My sister said "I'm sorry I wasn't thinking"...I guess it had to happen some time. I had to encourage her to do the whole cute messy thing because she sat there looking at everyone and poking her ducky cake. But it was fun. I found a Jack-in-the-box for her and she got some more wooden puzzles
I encouraged people to buy bath stuff for her (even tho no one did)...for those of you at a loss on what to get your own lo...things like duckies (her favorite) and the soaps that you can write on the tub with, and they have color pellets to change the water color...those types of things seem to be good. We are big into encouraging reading and art from very young and Crayola now has some things called brite beginnings that are mostly mess free...some of it uses water.
We recently realized that when Jayden wants some extra reasurance or hugs she starts saying "Oh baby"..I guess its because when she would cry we said it to her. She also says it to her baby doll when she hugs it. She also enjoys putting things (like her sippy cup) in her mouth and crawling around..very cute. She usually drinks a few ounces of juice thruout the day. She LOVES music and crawls to everything that resembles a piano and wants to play, and dances to anything that she assumes could even turn into music, plays peek-a-boo (and says it), does the whole patty-cake song (including the "J") and also If your happy and you know it. I could go on and on but I have to get her to bed and daddy is in Brazil so he can't do it right now.

User Tag List