March 2007 Mamas & Babies: It's January 2008! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ooooh, I'm sooo looking forward to DH getting home today!!! He went to NYC last Friday and I have had the most miserable days with DD! : She had been sleeping well most of the time (in fact, Friday night she slept 9 hours straight!) In his absence she has been waking up every one-two hours, her bedtime is unbelievably inconsistent--anywhere from 4pm! to 9 pm--she's waking up screaming, she's been extremely clingy, and she's whining/crying virtually nonstop!!!! I'm sooo exhausted! I've averaged 1.5 meals per day, 3 hours <total> of sleep per night, and crying bursts at least 2-3 times per day. I think it's one or more of the following: missing daddy, reflux (we took her off the meds...big mistake!), teething, and/or ear infection. Whenever I don't eat and sleep well I get plugged ducts, and I think I have my worse case of it yet! Mastitis, here we come! Oh, and it doesn't help that she's been biting me everytime she nurses. I'm beat red with sores and indentions all over my nipples and areolas (areoli?) and bloody scabs where she's scratched me too hard. Every part of my body that's ever caused me chronic pain is hurting. We have no family in the area, but thankfully my friends have been trying to keep me busy.

Wow, I feel a little better now that I've written all that down. Just about 6 more hours till DH gets back and as soon as he walks through the door I'm handing off DD and going to take a nice hot bath, hoping to fall asleep in there!

The bright spot is it can't get any worse, right???
#92 of 112 Old 01-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Stacey, that's hilarious!

Colleen, I'm so sorry! Gosh, that sounds so awful. Usually Ruby's either fussy at night or fussy during the day-- but not often both. It sounds like you need a big break. I hope you get that nice hot bath (and a glass of wine to put you right to bed). I just had a small clogged duct this week too, and I thought they were history. It's not horrible, but it sure is annoying. And when I have one, it eats away at my mind because I worry so much about mastitis.

Ruby just went in for a checkup, and she's doing pretty great! Apparently a bunch of her molars are about to erupt. I hope it happens soon. She walked over to the exam room by herself, and after we stripped her down, proceeded to have a jolly time running around the room in just a diaper. (Of course, she went straight for the outlets, and wouldn't stop poking the holes with her fingers)

She's saying "no" and "yes" ("no" 99 percent of the time). Ha ha. And she's also learned to play swing-the-piece-of-food-down-by-the-dog-and-when-mom-grabs-for-it-act-like-I'm-going-to-eat-it-but-not-really.
#93 of 112 Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM

In the last few days I've only been able to log on and check the co-ops I'm in and then have to log off... but I've been wanting to log on and say thank you for all the advice about DS's weird sleeping... he is back to waking every 2 hours which is at least predictable. The night I posted, he ended up coming down with a cold so I had to sleep sitting up with him so he could breathe -- I don't sleep well that way but he does better that way. Been doing that each night and yesterday we were almost all healthy again! And then we all woke up with something else this morning! WAAAAHH! : I would love to post more but now DS is crying, got to run. (More like wobble I guess.)
#94 of 112 Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

OK, it's been awhile since anyone posted on our DDC thread and we are now on page 5...I had to do some diggin' to find it! So I'm bumpin' us back up!

The lack of sleep and food took it's toll on me. The plugged ducts turned into mastitis. First night home, DH took over and let me sleep 10 hours straight! : Oh, you have no idea how much I needed that! I think it also helped the mastitis, which could've been so much worse than it was. DD is still sleeping in just 1-2 hours chunks though, and I don't know how to change it since I don't know what's causing it.

Yesterday a guy came up to us at a restaurant and said he and his fiance were discussing having children right after they get married and wanted to know how much they cost. I was like, well it really depends on the parents for much of it...then he said his fiance said it cost like $30,000 to outfit the nursery! :eyeroll: My DH said, "That's all just for the parents. The baby doesn't care about or need all that." WE think that statement stuck with him. I told him we don't own a crib or changing table or stroller...cloth diapering and breastfeeding save you a lot of money... I hope we made an impression that, no, you don't need all that extra crap to have a baby! Oh, I also told him you have expenditures you never thought about, like having to eat out more b/c you're too tired to cook! My DH likened it to a wedding. Sure you could spend $20K or more on a wedding, but you don't have to. I think that's a great comparison b/c I think how much you spend for your wedding is probably indicative of how much discretionary you'll spend on baby.
#95 of 112 Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didkisa View Post
OK, it's been awhile since anyone posted on our DDC thread and we are now on page 5...I had to do some diggin' to find it! So I'm bumpin' us back up!

The lack of sleep and food took it's toll on me. The plugged ducts turned into mastitis. First night home, DH took over and let me sleep 10 hours straight! : Oh, you have no idea how much I needed that! I think it also helped the mastitis, which could've been so much worse than it was. DD is still sleeping in just 1-2 hours chunks though, and I don't know how to change it since I don't know what's causing it.

Yesterday a guy came up to us at a restaurant and said he and his fiance were discussing having children right after they get married and wanted to know how much they cost. I was like, well it really depends on the parents for much of it...then he said his fiance said it cost like $30,000 to outfit the nursery! :eyeroll: My DH said, "That's all just for the parents. The baby doesn't care about or need all that." WE think that statement stuck with him. I told him we don't own a crib or changing table or stroller...cloth diapering and breastfeeding save you a lot of money... I hope we made an impression that, no, you don't need all that extra crap to have a baby! Oh, I also told him you have expenditures you never thought about, like having to eat out more b/c you're too tired to cook! My DH likened it to a wedding. Sure you could spend $20K or more on a wedding, but you don't have to. I think that's a great comparison b/c I think how much you spend for your wedding is probably indicative of how much discretionary you'll spend on baby.

We spent about $115 on our weeding and that was just for DHs wedding band and my little white summer dress ! We spend WAY more on DD.

I have to agree that $30grand just for a freakin nursery is INSANE ! I think I could find better things to spend $30k on. You know how nice of a stash I would have with that much ?? lol

CDing and BFing have saved us a ton of money.
#96 of 112 Old 01-27-2008, 03:02 PM

I've been MIA this last week. School started Tuesday so I'm already swamped with work ... which I should be doing

Haley has gone from waking 12+ times per night to 4. 4!! Last night was 11, 2:30, 4:30, and 6:30. I made lactation cookies that have flax seed meal in them last weekend and have been eating them all week. I had been researching omega3s and learned of a study where breastfed babies whose moms took omega 3s or flax seed oil/flax seed slept longer/bettter with fewer wakings. I'm so excited!!

Still no teeth!! As for talking, Haley's only real word is "da" and it means cat/dog. She even points to pictures of cats and says "da".

Anyone have unsupportive mothers when it comes to breastfeeding? My mother is convinced formula is better and just last night gave me crap about breastfeeding. "Are you giving he actual food before bed, not just breastmilk?" Oh, and a few days ago I got, "Are you still breastfeeding?" She doesn't seem to understand!! ARGH! Then throw in cloth diapers, cosleeping, or really anything AP...

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#97 of 112 Old 01-27-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Haley View Post
I've been MIA this last week. School started Tuesday so I'm already swamped with work ... which I should be doing

Haley has gone from waking 12+ times per night to 4. 4!! Last night was 11, 2:30, 4:30, and 6:30. I made lactation cookies that have flax seed meal in them last weekend and have been eating them all week. I had been researching omega3s and learned of a study where breastfed babies whose moms took omega 3s or flax seed oil/flax seed slept longer/bettter with fewer wakings. I'm so excited!!

Still no teeth!! As for talking, Haley's only real word is "da" and it means cat/dog. She even points to pictures of cats and says "da".

Anyone have unsupportive mothers when it comes to breastfeeding? My mother is convinced formula is better and just last night gave me crap about breastfeeding. "Are you giving he actual food before bed, not just breastmilk?" Oh, and a few days ago I got, "Are you still breastfeeding?" She doesn't seem to understand!! ARGH! Then throw in cloth diapers, cosleeping, or really anything AP...
I feel ya mama ! My mother and even my father are both the same way. DS was FF and he turned out fine so she thinks that every child i have should be FF. She keeps nagging me to wean her and put her on whole cows milk. Well shes not ready by any means at all. I did get some Vanilla Rice milk to give her during the day a few times a week since I cant pump any thing and she seems to not want to sit down and nurse all the time unless she is ready for a nap.

Both my parents think its silly to use cloth. My mom is warming up to it though since we had so much fun making soakers and embellishing PFs and she saw just how cute they can be.

They both think that my Ergo is wonderful though until she falls asleep in it then they nag me to take her out and lay her in bed.

I have just learned to ignore it. It helps that we live in different states too and they dont always see how we parent.
#98 of 112 Old 01-27-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HnKsMama View Post
We spent about $115 on our weeding and that was just for DHs wedding band and my little white summer dress ! We spend WAY more on DD.
Well, geez, I didn't mean you'd only spend $115 on your DC. I just meant that people that go overboard with their wedding would tend to go overboard with their baby, too. But, wow, only $115? That's got us beat by about $2,885! Interestingly, though, our discretionary spending on DD hasn't even come close to that yet, even with all the pregnancy/baby/breastfeeding/childcare books we've bought so far! We're lucky, though, we got a lot of hand-me-down clothes.
#99 of 112 Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
First night home, DH took over and let me sleep 10 hours straight! :
You just lived my wildest fantasy! That's great! I know how much you needed that!! Did you fight off the mastitis??

Quote:
I think that's a great comparison b/c I think how much you spend for your wedding is probably indicative of how much discretionary you'll spend on baby.
Yep, I bet that is a good comparison. We spent money on rings for the wedding, but that's all. And we didn't spend money on a nursery, stroller, etc. So the analogy holds with us.

Quote:
I made lactation cookies that have flax seed meal in them last weekend and have been eating them all week. I had been researching omega3s and learned of a study where breastfed babies whose moms took omega 3s or flax seed oil/flax seed slept longer/bettter with fewer wakings. I'm so excited!!
: Hey that sounds interesting. I used to put flax seed on my toast every morning when DD was a baby 5 years ago but I fell out of that habit a long time ago... I will get back to doing that!

Quote:
Oh that's cute! DS signs "cat" but doesn't say it verbally yet. Oh how he loves these cats... his favorite one is the one who wants to scratch him though,

Quote:
Oh, that's gotta be annoying.

Well, we are better here, no more : -- let's see how long we can maintain that. I have a question about food sensitivites/allergies. If a baby throws up for hours after eating a few bites of food, but it was the 2nd or 3rd time he had tried the food, does that mean the vomiting is probably from something else??

DS picked up a new word over the weekend -- now he says "moe" when he signs "more". It's so tremendously cute! So now he says (and signs) "mama", "dada", "hi", and "more", and signs "cat", "change", "milk", "bye", and "no". I love it!

Gotta get to work -- take care mamas!
#100 of 112 Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Hi there all. I just like to come and go. : Corbin now has 4 teeth. He can stand on his own and he walks with his push toy. He's still playing with food. He still just says mama and dada but he is trying to day no no no by saying nananana.. : He loves his big sister who has been visiting my mom. She comes home today and I just can't wait. She has been gone for a month. I still can't get over the fact that our babies are all going to be turning one soon. It just doesn't feel like it should be that time yet. I remember this time last year ready to meat my little man.

Well, a quick update on me. DH and I are doing so much better. We just had our 3rd anniversary on Friday. He has been trying harder and helping a lot more. So I just hope they stay that way. I plan on going back to school in the fall too. I'm excited about that also.
#101 of 112 Old 01-28-2008, 03:22 PM

That's really terrific news about your DH Angela! I hope things continue to look up. going back to school sounds like a great idea! That's exciting! I'm glad your DD is coming back today!
#102 of 112 Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Sorry I've been MIA...crazy couple of weeks with school and Avery and DH's job. But I have big news...

AVERY TOOK HIS FIRST STEPS TODAY!!!

I'm SO not ready for him to walk...let's hope he doesn't get too good at it too quick.

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
#103 of 112 Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Heh, we've definetly spent way more on ds than our wedding We got married by the mayor of north canton... our biggest expense was the marriage license (which we had to buy twice cause' we bought it in the wrong county the first time ::eyeroll:, and then several months later we bought rings... I think they came out to around $100-ish, cause' we got them on clearance DS we've defintely spent more on since then.. mostly in toys since I've refused to buy anything thats MIC... between them and all his clothes (used), probably so far we've spent $500-ish? Guess...

What are you (angela) thinking about going back to school for? I'm going to go back to school too! Do an online-degree thing... either get a bachelors in Nat. Resources from Oregon state, or possibly an associate/bachelors in comptuer science/programming from bakers college
#104 of 112 Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 AM

mommy2haley - What is your recipe for the lactation cookies? I'd be down for a longer-sleeping baby!
I'm sorry you are dealing with an unsupportive family - that is tough, and very undermining. Stick it out, and look elsewhere for support. My mom is from the "formula is best' generation also - she was totally clueless about breastfeeding when DD was born. now she brags to other people that I am an "all-natural" mother and that *her* grandkids don't have formula or jarred baby food. I hope yours comes around.

HnKsmom - Sorry you are dealing with it too. Glad the cloth diapers are catching on. My MIL breastfed and CD'd all three of her boys (including DH) and having her support and understanding was invlauable. I did want to suggest an alternative to rice milk for supplementing. Rice milk is really just sweetened rice water with vitamins/calcium added, and is meant for older kids/adults. It doesn't have near the fat or protien of breastmilk. Do you think your DC might want more solids? Have you tried organic whole-milk yogurt (like stoneyfield farm or horizon)? It is fattier and more filling than rice milk. Or does she want to self-feed some finger foods? If it were me and it were just a few times a week, I would increase solids intakes on those days, offer a pumped bottle, or try organic whole milk in a cup (not bottle - I wouldn't prefer to offer milk under 12 months, but if desparate). If it's more often than a few times a week, can you get a better pump? if not, the best substitute for breastmilk is formula (I cringe to say it - but it is superior to soy or rice milk for babies, although of course a distant second to breastmilk).

Angela - glad to hear things are getting better, and so happy your DD is home again!

Colleen - hugs on the mastitis/fussy baby and hope you are both doing better.

Eli is saying "Uh OH!" when he falls or drops things. it is SO cute. i didn't realize I said it that much!. He also plays a mean game of peak-a-boo. Give that boy some cloth and watch him go! I think i heard a version of "Robin" today. He's getting so big!
#105 of 112 Old 01-29-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
mommy2haley - What is your recipe for the lactation cookies?
: Although I think I will call my next batch of cookies "lactation cookies" regardless of the ingredients and that way I bet DH won't eat them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
Eli is saying "Uh OH!" when he falls or drops things. it is SO cute. i didn't realize I said it that much!. He also plays a mean game of peak-a-boo. Give that boy some cloth and watch him go! I think i heard a version of "Robin" today. He's getting so big!
So cute!!!
#106 of 112 Old 01-29-2008, 04:13 PM

That's adorable Becca! I wish Ruby would say "uh oh". Instead she says "no" all day long.
#107 of 112 Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM

lactation cookies sound right up ALL our alleys!!
Not much new here.... ok, that a pitiful lie to make me forget about the week we had-- Lily is getting better at eating, she has oral motor issues, weakness, mainly, so she can't suck a bottle well.. nursing is easy for her, though, thank god! she is crawling all over now, pulling to stand, and sort of cruising... yikes! that was fast!!
if only all my news was that simple-- My DH was in a bad car accident the other day, flipped the car, etc...oy... imagine getting THAT call at 3:45 am SUN .... i am JUST starting to feel normal again. He is so lucky to be alive, his seatbelt saved his life, especially since the Airbags didn't deploy !!!!!! WTF?????
he was airlifted, though doesn't remember a thing... And ended up with a broken arm, a broken thumb which may require surgery, and lots of cuts and bruises.... i am ever so thankful... thats the short story, it gets a little longer when you add in the letter we rec'd from the car company last week saying our car had a part that was not adequately protected form corrosion, so if we live in the salt belt (HELLO!! new england!!!), it may fail, causing the car to pull sharply to one side... um... that would explain the off roading!!! no, i mean, it's not confirmed that that is what caused it yet,. but we're now investigating....
needless to say, we're greatful for what we didn't lose, and moving on... but please... drive carefully and always wear your seatbelt!!

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#108 of 112 Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Holy moly, I am so glad he is not more seriously hurt! That would have me extremely shaken up. I hope things settle down again soon and that your husband's injuries heal up with no complications.
#109 of 112 Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 AM

Mommy moose - How scary! So glad to hear your DH avoided worse injury. Those moments really do make you thankful. I can only imagine how frightening it was for all of you.
#110 of 112 Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Oh my -- that is so scary!!! I'm glad he wasn't hurt worse. I'm sure I'd still be trembling.
#111 of 112 Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Oh mamamoose s: I know how scary accidents are! I'm so glad he's not badly hurt! Arms & thumbs can heal!!

And... seriously wtf about the airbags and other car part! How scary/freaky/wierd!! s:
#112 of 112 Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 AM

I don't see a February thread for us so I will start one. Here is the link

Feb thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page