In our 30s with our first babe - it's a new year! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 675 Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the January 2008 thread!

This thread is for anyone who waited until they were 30+ to have their first baby.

CURRENT MEMBERS
momofsage (Jen) 40 : Sage born May 10, 2005
angelcat (Beckie) : Rachel, born June 27, 2005
~PurityLake~ (Katreena) 33 mama of two babes borns in her 30s!
Her youngest : Sophia was born Aug 22, 2006
jaxensmommy (Jeri) 36 : Jaxen born September 29, 2006
MommyMichele (Michele) 35 mama to one babe born just shy of 30 and two other babes born in her 30s. Her youngest is : Ian born November 06, 2006
Mama2Bean 36 : born November 30, 2006
granolalight (Becky) mama to 2 babes born in her 30s!
Her youngest is : Eli born December 02, 2006
nylecoj (Jocelyn) 32 : born December 12, 2006
pacificbliss (Dawn) 33 : born December 30, 2006
elsa1975 (Isil) 32 : Defne born January 03, 2007
BeagleMommy (Susan) 34 : Ruth Evelyn born January 11, 2007
AnamCara (Kerensa) 34 : born March 01, 2007
Frannyo 39 : Maggie born March 09, 2007
didkisa (Colleen) 34 : Miranda Ann born March 27, 2007
serenitii (Melissa) 34 : Logan born March 29, 2007
Pumpkin Pie (Kim) 33 : born April 2007
mummytastic (Julie) 35 mama to 2 babes born whiles in her 30s!
Her youngest was born April 2007
merliss (Gena) 32 : Grayce born April 02, 2007
peacelovingmama (Kate) 37 mama to 3 babes born while in her 30s!
Her youngest is : Grahame Charlotte born April 09, 2007
jocelyndale (Jocelyn) 31 : Ronan born April 21, 2007
kdtmom2be (Kristen) 31 : Kayleigh born May 05, 2007
jessma (Jessma) 36 : Lennox Matthew born May 22, 2007
rock dr (CJ) : Gabriella born June 05, 2007
AnnD (Ann) 36 mama to 4 babes born in her 30s!
Her youngest is : Sean born June 13, 2007
acp (Amanda) 32 : Willa born June 15, 2007
preeniemamarach (Rachel) 35 : born July 07,2007
farmama : Natalina born July 17, 2007
Clarissa1973 (Clarissa) 34 : Elias Nathaniel born July 23, 2007
mom to B 31 : Bryson born July 25, 2007
edenluna (Eden) 36 : Ruby born August 02, 2007
nikkihoi 37 : Marshall born Aug. 4, 2007
eri_flores (Erianna) : 31 Ariel Efrain born Aug. 10, 2007
cornpicker 33 : Jonah Harrison Aug. 15, 2007
PiePie 36 : Lorelei Siobhan born Aug. 16, 2007
kelluna 32 : born Aug. 16, 2007
pokeymama 35 : John born August 22, 2007
greengrey (Alex) 30 : Layla born Aug. 25, 2007
dctexan (Emily) 34 : Benjamin born Sept. 1, 2007
veganone (Elizabeth) 34 : Isabella Lourdes Sofia born Sept. 3, 2007
plummum 36 : Sinead Summer born Sept. 3, 2007
beckyphry (Becky) 32 : Maya Rose born Sept. 7, 2007
stickywicket67 (Rachel) 39 : Tobias Jude born on September 13, 2007
hazieluna (Natalia) 36 : Aidan Sebastian born Sept. 15, 2007
ATD Mom 32 : Alasdair William born Sept. 16, 2007
Down to Earth (Laura) 30 : Elizabeth Grace born Sept. 18, 2007
~minnow~ (Lane) 31 : Adelaide Beatrix born Sept. 20, 2007
K9sarchik (Laura) 38 : Gavin Rutgar born Sept 20, 2007
Amberella : Nathaniel John born September 30, 2007
jpiper0430 (Jenn) 31 : Eleanor Diane born October 10, 2007
Maxzen 33 : born November 2007
MajorGroover (Dee) 32 : Mathilde born November 10, 2007
Grace24 (Julia) 36 : Oliver Roland born November 24, 2007
cmu204 (Cher) 34 : Baby Z born December 10, 2007
dionnakay(Dionna) : Kieran born December 11, 2007
SarahJen (Sarah) : Aveline Paige born January 3rd, 2008
Xenon : Ticho born January 8, 2008

Although many of us have followed each other from the TTC and pregnancy forums, newcomers are welcome and encouraged to join in any time! If you are new, please introduce yourself by stating as much info as you feel comfortable sharing such as your name & age as well as your baby's info (name, sex, DOB, etc.).

Here's the TTC#1 in our 30s January thread

And the Pregnant with #1 in our 30s January thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 675 Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 PM

Thanks CJ!!! So sorry you're sick! I'm glad it's not mastitis though... Mine is localized (but I have sort of constant, low grade breast pain and have since the beginning) and has red blotches when I have it...

New Year's - We went to a friend's house for a very low key get together. Isabella was awesome until about 10:30 so we headed home. We all got to bed around midnight and at least weren't woken up by the neighbor's firecrackers until around 12:30. Isabella was nursing in bed by then, so she nursed/napped through it. I'm so proud of her for being such a trooper!

Conception anneversary - our's was 12/27. It was a sweet day for me, too.

Rachel - Just wondering how Lucien's doing?

Happy New Year mommas!
#3 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 AM

Left DD alone with my parents today for a few hours as a sort of trial for going back to work (ACK!) on Thursday... She did better than I thought she would - she took a bottle of milk I pumped yesterday (yay - not scalded!!!). I'm thrilled about that because I can just put one day's pumping in the fridge for the next day and not have to scald every day... She slept for them in the swing. I'm SOOOO relieved that she did okay and even took a bit of a nap. That's huge, since she's been extra-needy lately with me. She's doing a ton of nap-nursing and wants to just hang out on the boob for 30-60 minutes at a time mostly asleep. If I try to pull her off she pops awake, even if I keep holding her in exactly the same position.

How am I going to do this?! I swear I get really anxious when I'm away from her.

Emily - Did you ever scald and re-refrigerate? I want to just do that and NOT freeze for short-term storage. Like from Friday-Monday?
#4 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 AM

CJ thanks for starting the thread! Sorry you're sick, that sux. Hope it gets better soon.

It's 2:45 a.m. This baby won't sleep! Argh!

Went back to yoga, and man my body is so weird now! My belly for one thing, is still in the way of all those forward bends, and standing with my feet touching is still way uncomfortable. Also, proportionally, I think my calves gained the most weight! They have crazy stretch-marks and during the postures where I had to be on my knees, I swear they are so fat they HURT to sit on, there was all this flesh in my way! It was discouraging. So I've decided to continue my break from Bikram yoga and join the nearby gym to focus on fat loss. I simply can't afford to do both... but I'm excited about the gym. They have yoga there too, just not hot yoga. But they do have a steam room.

I have a headache. Can I go to Hawaii now? Why won't my baby sleep?
#5 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 AM

Elizabeth... wow, Thursday! I get anxious away from Ollie too, but haven't had to leave him with a stranger yet. That starts tomorrow, ugh. We found someone who seems great but she forgot to leave her references with us! I hope it was an oversight? Anyhow she's coming in the morning, and I'm a little scared to leave him with her even though I'll be right upstairs... I'll be sleeping, ya know? Anyhow, I don't have to go back to work for a few weeks yet, but am anxious about it as well. Good luck Thursday! I'm sure it'll take some getting used to but in time all will be fine!
#6 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 AM

Thx by the way for all the support about my mom... it is worrisome. I talked to DH and asked if he noticed her memory loss, and this time he said yes. I can only hope it doesn't progress too quickly. In her case, it's not cuz she doesn't take care of herself... she's smart, has always used her mind, and exercises a lot and eats right. Anyhow thanks for the support everyone.

It's 7:55 and I got exactly 3.5 hours of sleep. And I've had a splitting headache for days. I've been taking ibuprofen for 5 weeks straight... first cuz it was prescribed after my C-section, then I kept taking it for my back cuz of all the babywearing. Is it possible it's a rebound headache? It's miserable. Oh well at least this sitter is coming in a half hour to give me some relief, and a nap. Whew.
#7 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Emily - Did you ever scald and re-refrigerate? I want to just do that and NOT freeze for short-term storage. Like from Friday-Monday?
Yep, all the time. Basically I will do this if I know I will use the milk within 3-4 days. Back when I was doing my breastmilk experiments I found that if I pump and scald immediately, my milk stays fresh for 8 days. If I pump, refrigerate, and scald 8 hrs later it lasts 4 (5 if I push it) days. However, I have not had any luck freezing milk after it has been scalded and refrigerated (i.e. I can't scald, store in the fridge for 2 days, then freeze) so once I decide to refrigerate, I am committing myself to use (or toss) that milk.

So glad that DD did well with your parents! Yay!
#8 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
I've had a splitting headache for days. I've been taking ibuprofen for 5 weeks straight... first cuz it was prescribed after my C-section, then I kept taking it for my back cuz of all the babywearing. Is it possible it's a rebound headache? It's miserable. Oh well at least this sitter is coming in a half hour to give me some relief, and a nap. Whew.
Sorry about the headache Julia! It absolutely IS possible to become "addicted" to pain relievers like advil, tylenol, etc and get rebound headaches. INFO HERE
#9 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM

CJ - Thanks for hosting the Jan thread There were a couple of newcomers who posted toward the end of the month but with my dog issues and the holidays, I did not add them to the first post. Hopefully they will not take offense and will post again!

Everyone - Thank you so much for sending me hugs and well wishes re: Maggie. I love you guys

So, the holidays are over and we survived. We went to Eugene, OR to visit the inlaws. The plane ride there went really well. Benjamin was an angel baby. Then we had to deal with the time change and the fact that there were a bizillion family members who wanted to meet him and hold him etc and he was in a new place and without his beloved cradle swing and WOW, he was sooooo fussy. I seriously thought I was going to die. His entire schedule is completely gone. Now that we are finally back home, he is NOT napping and will NOT go to sleep at night! I have started trying to put him down at 7:30/8 PM and he has yet to actually fall asleep (with tons of crying & screaming) until 11/midnight. We are on day 4 of this. Gah.

Benjamin is just so so SO high needs right now. Wants to do baby standy up time ALL the freaking time. Screams and sobs unless he is standing (or is kicking up a storm in the bath). Doesn't want to be held, doesn't want to be on the floor, hates sitting, just wants to stand. Of course he cannot stand unassisted yet so he has some very tired parents. The only other things that keep him calm are carrying him around the house in a forward facing position (in arms only since he has decided that the carriers are all evil) and kicking & bouncing his legs whiles he is on his back. He also is being weird about nursing. Basically he will only nurse for VERY short sessions (between 1-5 min) and pitches an absolute fit if I try to encourage him to drink more (screaming like he is being tortured, arches away from the boob) Please tell me this is a phase. I thought that most babies outgrow their super fussiness by 4 months. I am seriously dying. I see all these other moms with cuddly calm babes and I am so jealous.
#10 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Hi all!

Thanks for all the suggestions re: feedings. I'm not to the point where I'd take donor milk, especially since we're moving so soon, and I wouldn't feel comfortable having to screen someone in a hurry. Also, since we don't really know what the deal is with his illness (that it might be an immunodeficiency), I'd worry that something really benign in someone else's milk might make him sick.

However, we tried him on the Nutramigen last night, as he was HONGRY and I was out of milk. I had to pump, and I was a little that he wouldn't just take it from the tap, KWIM? I was full, he was hungry- so much easier if this kid would just nurse! Well, he would NOT drink the Nutramigen. Period. We tried some diluted apple juice (not great, I know, but he was wailing by then). Nothing. He finally settled in, pouting, and waited til I finished pumping, when he sucked twice on the bottle, then conked. Poor babe wanted to comfort nurse.

Anyway- the pediatrician Monday said his ears look 'fairly good'. One is still showing a lot of fluid, but otherwise, he's improving. So YAY! Next step is his immunology follow-up next week, and more bloodwork before we move. If he stays on this trajectory (feeling a little better, not declining), we'll just wait and see what happens. If he gets worse, we have to take him to the hopsital for admission and the full battery of tests. He lost a few ounces in the week between appointments, which concerns me a little. not sure what to do- has anybody ever used goat's milk to supplement?

So- I had a meeting with my boss today. I had my resignation letter in hand. There was an HR person in the room- they were going to put a disciplinary action in my file for all my absences in 2007. Let's see- I got put on bedrest 3 different times during pregnancy, then had a preemie who was in the NICU, and has been constantly sick since he went into daycare. The HR person actually said that if I don't request unpaid leave ahead of time, regardless of the reason, I'll get fired sooner than later. I kept trying to interrupt and tell them it was pointless to talk to me about 'next steps', but they wouldn't let me talk. Finally, she shut up and I put my letter on the table. The HR chick took the disciplinary thing (a form I was supposed to sign) and said, 'ok, we don't need this anymore'. I told them that I understood they needed to follow a formal process, etc etc, but I didn't have any way of avoiding all these absences anyway.

My boss was very cool about it. She seemed to understand my decision- she's a piece of work, but she has 3 kids of her own and hopefully realizes that it's the best thing for my family. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders! Now I just have to tell my parents (in NC), who are going to be crushed. They won't drive all the way to colorado, and my dad won't fly (they're a bit weird).

Speaking of parents, I feel all you mamas having issues with the older parents! Everyone keeps suggesting we fly one of the grandmothers in to take care of Lucien, but my parents are basically useless. They're both in their mid 70's and not in great health, and the one time they visited, the most they did for me was hold the baby while I took a 1-hour nap. Ah well. My mom also is constantly questioning whether I'm feeding the baby enough, whether BM can possibly be good enough, and she firmly believed there was a scientific basis for CIO. My sisters are 9 and 14 years older than me, though, so they've been a little helpful in terms of bouncing ideas off of them.

Oh, and I have to give our daycare provider notice, too. Which is sad, because she *loves* Lucien, and he loves her right back. I hate goodbyes.
#11 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Julia - Yes, as in, tomorrow I go back... I'm soooo sad to think about leaving her. I'm back to not sleeping and just laying there staring at her in her sleep.

Emily - I'm so sorry Benjamin's schedule is so out of whack! I hear a lot of people say that babies get very fussy, especially with sleep, at around 4 months. Hoping it misses us, but we'll see! Isabella also LOVES to stand up - she can support her entire weight - we just provide balance. She loves it and will sometimes absolutely refuse to bend, especially for burping. She has a fun feeding habit now, too. Not screaming, but painful anyway. She will latch for maybe one second (one to two quick sucks to get latched), pull off (without releasing suction - ow), roll back and look up, and then immediately roll back to the boob and re-latch herself (ow). She will do this for LONG periods of time unless I make her stop.

Rachel - Goodbyes are hard!!! Especially moving so far, I'm sure. I'm glad Lucien is doing better - any improvement, right?! I am praying he won't have to be hospitalized, and I really hope the blood draws are going a little better... I'm glad you are getting away from your boss, too. I LOVE quitting bad jobs!!! One really horrible one in college I actually said "F*&# You" and walked out. It felt GREAT!!! Not something I would do now, but I still remember it fondly!

Here are a couple of recipes I found for homemade formula - I think we'd go with one of these if we need to ff at some point. I haven't done a ton of research on them, but it's worth considering. Especially since he won't take the Nutramigen. (That sucks - sorry.) http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html
http://www.naturodoc.com/library/children/formula.htm
#12 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Rachel, yay that Lucien seems to be doing a little better! And what a relief resigning from that job. I can't believe what a hard time they were giving you. Wow. Isn't it interesting how our parents' generation seems to believe so much more in CIO? My mom, while she was here, just kept saying "It only took two nights before Chris slept through the night..." Yes, but he was 18 months and very demanding and my baby is only 5 weeks old and waking cuz he's hungry! She also thinks (her sister told her this) that my next step, now that baby is in his crib in his own room, is to turn OFF the baby monitor. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As IF! She said I'd hear him if he screamed loud enough. Funny thing is, when she was watching him, she didn't let him CIO... she held him the whole time and was very loving and sweet. But like someone else mentioned, it does make me sad that my own mom's philosophy is like that.

Emily, I'm glad to see you posting, I was actually about to post "Where is Emily?" I'm so sorry Benjamin is giving you such trouble right now! I'd also heard about a 4 month marker for increased fussiness. Maybe once he settles back in from the trip he'll get re-oriented and back on a schedule? Hang in there.

Well the sitter came, sat, and left... and I still have my baby. It was the most expensive nap I ever took! I'm so neurotic... every time I woke up (like to go to the bathroom) I'd check out the window to make sure her car was still in the driveway... on some level I thought she'd take off and try to sell Oliver on the black market or something! But anyhow, she was great with him, and seems to have some good availability for the next few weeks. I just need to make it to the end of February when the au pair comes... which is looking more and more like the right decision! DH and I are using the sitter Saturday so he and I can... get this... go on a DATE! ACK!

Then I took my baby with me to the chiropractor today... he loved my doc! Just smiled and cooed at him the whole time he held him (which is relatively new for him to do anyhow, the smiling at you thing). Then the receptionist watched Ollie while the dr. worked on me (ah, sweet relief from the tension headache! I had all kinds of muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders) When I took him back? He started crying. : Silly baby.
#13 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
It's 7:55 and I got exactly 3.5 hours of sleep. And I've had a splitting headache for days. I've been taking ibuprofen for 5 weeks straight... first cuz it was prescribed after my C-section, then I kept taking it for my back cuz of all the babywearing. Is it possible it's a rebound headache? It's miserable. Oh well at least this sitter is coming in a half hour to give me some relief, and a nap. Whew.
You and I are very similar. I think I am getting rebound migraines from lack of sleep and regular exercise, and drugs, of course.

But hello, who can exercise when their crazybaby is up all night long SCREAMING ABOUT GOD KNOWS WHAT?! I think the longest stretch I got was 2 hours. Otherwise it was a marathon nursing session. My nipples hurt which usually means she's teething because she rubs them raw in the spot that hurts her, but she's totally inconsolable and dh has met his limit too.

I am >< that close to giving her to the SPCA and insisting she is a hairless pug or something.

I'm crabby and very irritable.
#14 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemamarach View Post
Hi all!

Thanks for all the suggestions re: feedings. I'm not to the point where I'd take donor milk, especially since we're moving so soon, and I wouldn't feel comfortable having to screen someone in a hurry. Also, since we don't really know what the deal is with his illness (that it might be an immunodeficiency), I'd worry that something really benign in someone else's milk might make him sick.
If I could ship you my milk, I would. I have enough for a village even at this age.

I have a lot to say to everyone but today I am hating the world today.
#15 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylecoj View Post
I am >< that close to giving her to the SPCA and insisting she is a hairless pug or something.

Hugs! At least you're still funny.
#16 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:45 PM

emily, dd is also obsessed with standing -- brazelton says to expct this at 5 mos, sear says 7, ours are precocious -- and she loves stdinf facing outward in the sling. try it, it might work.
#17 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
If I could ship you my milk, I would. I have enough for a village even at this age.

I have a lot to say to everyone but today I am hating the world today.

thanks, jocelyn! I've always wished boob size = milk production capacity, as I would be feeding a mid-sized state.

so sorry your babe did the all-night screaming. Friend here at work has a 3 yo that apparently still does it, and I almost recoiled physically when she said that- like it was contagious or something. I had a few nights right before Lucien's eardrum ruptured where I had to walk up and down the stairs with him ALL. NIGHT. LONG. to keep him from screaming. I said some nasty, nasty things to people on those particular days. hang in there!
#18 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
emily, dd is also obsessed with standing -- brazelton says to expct this at 5 mos, sear says 7, ours are precocious -- and she loves stdinf facing outward in the sling. try it, it might work.
This is also Lucien's New Favorite Thing Ever. Now that he's mastered pulling himself up while holding my fingers, he tries to walk up my tummy.
#19 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM

I was doing some nakey time with Lucien last night, trying to encourage him to roll from back to front (he does the reverse quite well, but we don't play on the floor much because my back is wrecked, so I'm making a concerted effort lately). He nakey time, so he was squealing and kicking a lot. At one point, he drew both feet up to his waist (grabbing for 'em), which apparently pushed on his full bladder. He peed SO HARD. It went a good 18 inches in the air and landed on his face- in his mouth, his eyes, his hair. He looked all : at first- then decided it was the funniest thing ever.

I have pics at home- I'll try to post them tonight. (just of nakey happy babe- sadly, I missed the geiser!)
#20 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Maybe I should try yours and see if that makes dd better since mine's just causing more problems! I hate that I know I have plenty of milk, but pumping I never get more than 2-3 oz....
#21 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry that LO is so fussy right now. I don't know how you do the lack of sleep for that many months in a row! DD will consistently let me get 3 hours first stretch and then every 2 from then on, but it only works out to getting up 3 times usually. I do miss those periods at the beginning where she'd go 6 hours!

The hairless pug made me laugh, though.
#22 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemamarach View Post
I was doing some nakey time with Lucien last night, trying to encourage him to roll from back to front (he does the reverse quite well, but we don't play on the floor much because my back is wrecked, so I'm making a concerted effort lately). He nakey time, so he was squealing and kicking a lot. At one point, he drew both feet up to his waist (grabbing for 'em), which apparently pushed on his full bladder. He peed SO HARD. It went a good 18 inches in the air and landed on his face- in his mouth, his eyes, his hair. He looked all : at first- then decided it was the funniest thing ever.

I have pics at home- I'll try to post them tonight. (just of nakey happy babe- sadly, I missed the geiser!)
Heehee. Too funny. I have to admit that is one thing that makes me happy to have a girl! Although she managed to squirt under similar circumstances far enough to hit her own cheek once. Very impressive for a girl! Then we had a bath!
#23 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe I should try yours and see if that makes dd better since mine's just causing more problems! I hate that I know I have plenty of milk, but pumping I never get more than 2-3 oz....
Me too, and we're still using the hospital grade pump... but I know he's getting plenty of milk. :
#24 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
How do you do the standing up in the sling? Do you have to hold them or is it hands free? I can get Benjamin to hang in the RS kangaroo style (facing out) with his legs crossed in front of him, but only when he is feeling calm. Otherwises he screams bloody murder.

I think Dh and I are going to BRU this weekend and getting a jumperoo of some sort :
#25 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
I think Dh and I are going to BRU this weekend and getting a jumperoo of some sort :
Don't feel bad- I got one last weekend because I just could NOT do the standy game while pumping anymore (he kept kicking the horns off-ow). I suppose I'll get some AP points deducted from my account for it, but it's helped on two levels:

1- he can stand and jump, which he LOVES these days, and
2- it's helping his torticollis quite a bit, since he is forced to hold his head up or it's not comfy.

We use it twice a day, tops, about 10 minutes max each time. He likes to boingety boing while daddy plays the guitar.

Oh, we got the FP Rainforest Jumperoo.
#26 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM

It's so funny how guilty we all feel for buying anything other than a sling to wear baby in! I think a jumperoo sounds like a lot of fun for a baby who wants to try to stand! And I will never ever regret buying the papasan swing... he loves it, but only for about 20 minutes a couple times a day. But what's wrong with that, he's being held all the other times!

Emily I want to see pics of him in the jumperoo once you get it. (And, when I cross this bridge in a few months, you can advise me once again on what kind to get)
#27 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
acp

We borrowed a jumperoo from a friend, and Willa has loved it since she was about 3 months old. I was sure she would, since she loves to stand and bounce when we're holding her SO much. I agree - 10 minutes here or there in something other than a sling isn't going to kill them, and she has tons of fun when she's in it. I'm also a big advocate of floor time. Now I can't keep her still long enough to really enjoy it, but she got LOTS of use out of our baby gym thing, and I'm convinced the all the rolling and grabbing she did there is what has her so comfortable moving now, walking, sitting herself up, etc.

In that vein... diaper changes have suddenly become a massive ordeal! It takes me two or three times as long. During the course of one change, she'll often flip herself over and get on hands and knees maybe 9 or 10 times. If she's on the changing pad, she tries to crawl off the end. Even if I'm literally pinning her down so she can't flip over, she still does contortions and twists to flip her legs around, and I'm having to learn how to get on the diapers in all manner of positions (I love my fuzzi bunz, but I have to say, I'm now a big fan of all my dipes with velcro instead of snaps - it's just a tad bit quicker).

Rachel, your story cracked me up. We mostly avoid the geyser with a daughter, but Willa has still managed some impressively powerful streams. I'm glad Lucien is doing somewhat better, and that you were able to leave your unsympathetic job. I answered your questions about CO in our December thread, so I don't know if you saw it - basically, I don't live in CO now, but used to, and love the state. And the area you're moving to is really beautiful.
#28 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM

Jumparoo - great idea!!! I'm tired of feeling guilty for doing anything other than holding DD. She gets bored when she's held too much - she wants to do stuff! She LIKES her bouncy seat and Bumbo at times. She's held A LOT!!! I wear her as much as I possibly can, but I can't pump, shower, realistically do dishes, etc.

She takes one nap in the morning in her bouncy seat - woohoo! We use her swing maybe 4X/week for a nap, up to 2 hours. She sits in her Bumbo when mommy has to potty
#29 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM

Emily - one more milk question... What do you do at work? I'm planning to refrigerate and scald when I get home, with a cooler for transport. At home, scalding in the evening is working. I'm so lucky that you've done all of your testing!

Speaking of standing/sitting, etc... We are BAD about tummy time. She just hates it. When we do it, she can hold her head up and look around really well - she has great head-control in general and is still a very strong baby (she likes to lay flat on her changing pad and arch her back up so that only her head and feet are down, then she flops down and grins. Think it's a problem that we don't do it much??? DH is worried she won't crawl, but I think once she can sit up, she'll figure out moving around on her own.

Off topic - housing stuff. DH fell in love with a house that is $60K out of our price range. It's really nice, but I don't love it like he does. He actually got annoyed with me when I pointed out it's flaws to him (like that the master is on one end of the house and the other rooms are as far on the other side as possible. She'd either be in our room until she's 8, or I'd be in her room until then... It's also a bad commute for me, but is close to his work. And, um, we CANNOT afford it.) He finally ran numbers last night and realized that and then again seemed bugged that I wasn't surprised. Gee, honey, we came up with our price-range by doing just that, so yeah, $60,000 over seemed high to me?! He has it in his head that we need the perfect house now and not that this can be a "next" house. We need to move and we can't afford perfect yet. Argh... t's hard to be married to someone who was raised really wealthy and now isn't! He also had the gall to say that maybe he shouldn't have spent all of our disposable income on car stuff and saved more. Gee, you think?!

Who decided that the jumbo loan level was $417K, too? That's crazy. That's like median here!

Okay, done whining.
#30 of 675 Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Who decided that the jumbo loan level was $417K, too? That's crazy. That's like median here!

Okay, done whining.
Tell me about it! When we found out what the median home prices in Northern VA/DC are, we knew this was a temporary stop for us. It's a bummer for anybody living in an overpriced market right now- which is pretty much any major metro area. Although where I'm from (NC), a family of 3 can actually afford to buy a house! Crazy! And this is the RTP/Raleigh-Durham area, full of universities, art, good restaurants....yes, I totally miss it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page