Sigg/Foogo/KK...what does your baby use? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talia Rose,

Is enamel the same as epoxy???? The Sigg site says the inside of the bottles is enamel. According to Wikipedia enamel and epoxy are 2 different things. Granted, Wikipedia is what it is, but I wonder if you may have things mixed up a bit...

Could you clarify...where did you see that the inside of the bottles was made with epoxy? (which is, by the way, produced from a reaction between epichlorohydrin and bisphenol-A, not good to drink from).

I just went to the Sigg site, and they say it's enamel.

Any thoughts?

-chelsea dust.gif
#32 of 42 Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM

where did you read "enamel"? i can't even find that. all i read is "proprietary inner liner". I have forwarded your question to the person who wrote the letter. part of the problem (people on co-op america discussing this subject) have is that many store owners have written to the sigg folks and they will not say what the liner is made of. i'll keep you posted as to what i hear back....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#33 of 42 Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 PM

I just poked around the SIGG website for a bit, and if you click on Production, and then on "Find out here how they are made", you eventually come to a screen that says "The bottle is now sprayed with a taste-inert, food-compatible stove enamel which is baked on." Doesn't sound like epoxy to me.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#34 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:21 AM

her reply:
When I bought my first Sigg bottle, I called the company up and asked what the liner was all about. They said something like they were working on a patent and could not yet reveal what it was. So I waited and wrote again. Then I would just periodically check in at their website to see if they had given the answer yet. Finally one day it said the liner was a "water based epoxy resin". If you look today, they have removed the word epoxy, but the funny thing is, none of their other retailers have, which looks a little obvious, especially since their descriptions of it all match accept for the missing word "epoxy". They mention that it is not plastic- which is true, nonetheless, BPA is used to make most epoxy resins. They also rave about FDA approval. Polycarbonate among other not-so-wonderful things have been approved by the FDA. It seems a little weird to be using the FDA as the single responsible filter for safety these days. Below I've
attached other retailer descriptions along with a definition of water based epoxy resin.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigg-Lifestyle.../dp/B000RI4ES4
"They also feature Sigg's proprietary baked-on inner liner, which is
made from a non-toxic, water-based epoxy resin that exceeds FDA
requirements for leaching (0.0 percent) and is independently tested to
be taste- and scent-neutral. Every Sigg bottle is 100 percent
recyclable at the end of its life, and is backed by a lifetime warranty."

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/shopping-bags-50
"This special, baked-on inner liner is a water-based epoxy resin
exceeding FDA requirements and independently tested (Nehring, Germany)
to prove 0% leaching."

http://www.alpineer.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=809990!sig01
"baked-on, water-based epoxy resin; exceeds FDA requirements;
flexible and crack resistant; resists fruit acids and isotonic drinks"

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4421906.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy

Again, I hope they prove me wrong, but they would have to actually reveal what they use to do that AND call me back. They know market and design- that is for sure.

Amelia

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#35 of 42 Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 AM

I am so curious to know what Sigg says about the liner! Please post back when you hear from them!!!
Thanks!

Tara ~ SAHM to (1/05) and (10/09)
#36 of 42 Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 PM

FYI, I was watching "Antique Roadshow" once and saw an antique sippy cup. It was silver or pewter, with a tiny spout through which to drink, so in fact the concept of the "sippy cup" is older than most people think.

As to the "normal-ness" of the sippy cup, what would you call a travel mug, besides a grown up sippy cup? That is in fact what we've been calling travel mugs, since before ds was born, (almost 6 months ago, geez time flys!)

And DS has a Sigg right now with handles, he loves it, but i don't think he really ever gets water in his mouth, just on his shirts and pants!
#37 of 42 Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 PM

I like to use sippy cups for on the go as well, as I use my Thermal bottle on the go. At home I like to use a little cup, baby-sized.
#38 of 42 Old 01-26-2008, 12:46 AM

I have both Siggs and KKs. For DD, who is 15 months, I prefer the KKs because they're really drip-proof. For DS, who's 3.5 years, either one is fine, though the Siggs are much cuter. I like the KKs, though, because I can alternate bottle, sippy and sport tops, so the whole family can use them.

I'm really interested in getting a Foogo, though, since they're insulated. Anyone know if they're dishwasher safe?
#39 of 42 Old 01-26-2008, 01:02 AM

We have a Fooga and kk. For my youngest (19 mos) I like the Foogo with the handles. They recommend that you not wash it in the dishwasher, though you could probably top rack wash it. The only complaint I have with it is that sometimes it leaks just a bit, BUT this is after having been completely abused by my DD (she has a real temper and her expression of choice is chucking her Foogo across the room, so it has take a lot of beatings). I think with normal use, this would not happen.

I like the KK. We have three of the smallest size - 12 oz, I think. they are bigger than the handle Foogo (but maybe not the straw type Foogo) and they are great. Personally, I don't like the sippy cup top for it - it is way too fussy in my opinion. I bought the sports top for them a couple of months ago, and I love it. Plus, my oldest daughter (4) thinks it's cool to have a "real" waterbottle. The youngest also likes the sportstop, but you have to make sure it gets pushed back down so it doesn't leak (hence my preference of the Foogo for her).
#40 of 42 Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 AM

Kleen Kanteen (which we all have our own of and love) and I just bought a Safe Sippy to try.

We only use sippy cups in bed and on the road. Otherwise, DS drinks from a mug or glass.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#41 of 42 Old 01-26-2008, 02:27 AM

Thats an interesting letter. It boggles my mind how totally, completely everywhere BPA is these days. Its impossible not to injest some of it, as darn near everything comes in contact with it at some point - canned food is a huge problem.. incredible.

It also boggles my mind that SIGG wont' say whats in their liner. Utterly mind boggling!!
#42 of 42 Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 AM

We use the foogo. She doesn't actually drink from it, only bangs it on things. She does seem to like it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page