Wanting a sling... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-22-2003, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should I buy one? If so, what brand?

Or should I make one? I have the ELD pattern....

I just don't know. Ideas??? Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-22-2003, 09:01 PM

I have a maya wrap (www.mayawrap.com) and a babybundler-type wrap. (www.babybundlers.com is where I got the idea).

My 9 week old son likes the maya when he's sleeping, but HATES it when he's awake. He likes to sit upright and doesn't like his legs all folded like they are if he's sitting in the maya.

I love the wrap and so does he. Basically what I did was buy 3 yards of knit fabric, cut it in half the long way, sew the short edges together and serge all the edges. When I put it on, I put the center seam in the small of my back, wrap the tails around to the front and toss them over the opposite shoulders. Then, tails hanging down my back, I tuck one under the center seam and tie a single knot in the 2 tails, then bring them around to the front and tie a double knot. Then I can put my kid in facing out (his fave) or facing in, with an X of fabric over his middle. I stretch it out under his bum and over his and my shoulders. We've had our first few crying-free shopping trips with it. The whole thing cost me ~$10 since I found a good fabric in the clearance section.
#3 of 13 Old 08-22-2003, 09:19 PM

YES you should get a sling! They're fabulous . I see your babe is due in Nov. You might want to look into the adjustable fleece pouch at www.kangarookorner.com. I love mine & it's perfect for cooler weather. They have tons of other options too,,,
#4 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 12:01 AM

Yes, slings are a must. I even used mine with the boys when they were toddlers. They are great for dancing with big kids on your hip!!! Takes the brunt off the old arm and you can get down! Love my Bjorn and pack pack also. Too many contraptions....Love, Kendra
#5 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 12:27 AM

Over the shoulder baby holder sling. I didn't use it until Juliet was big enough to sit up in it more though. If I had gotten it earlier it probably would've helped with bf in public to cover her up. She sits on my hip now in it and it helps a lot since she weighs 27+ lbs! I also used a front only carrier when she was younger and she could turn inward and sleep or outward and look around. She enjoyed that until she outgrew it. The sling is much snugglier though.
#6 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 02:18 AM

I've got both a ring sling and a fleece pouch, and I love them both! The ring sling is fabulous once you get the hang of it (but it does take some experimenting with to get comfortable using), very versatile and cool for summer. I made it from the directions on www.mayawrap.com, it was really easy and works perfectly. And I can't wait for the weather to cool off enough to use the fleece sling again, DS loves it, its so cozy!
#7 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Maya Wrap and I made a pouch-type sling and a rebozo-type sling as well. The pouch has got to be the easiest to both make and use of any sling. If you sew it yourself, just err on the side of roomy and you can always bring the hem up a little higher if it's too big. I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet, except the Maya Wrap with my niece (who was a toddler at the time), so I'm not sure what will be the best for me, but I have several options so I can experiment, and the ones I made cost me nothing as I already had the fabric sitting around--I deconstructed an old halloween costume and used fabric from a project I planned over a year ago and never got to, lol.

To see a variety of slings/baby carriers with comparisons and good prices, check out www.peppermint.com

Also, you might check out the babywearing email list: www.groups.yahoo.com/babywearing/

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#8 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 08:39 AM

I have two fleece pouches from kangarookorner.com (one for the car and one for the house) and I adore them! The weather here in Philly this summer has stopped me from using them but the minute it cools down I'm bringing them out again... The are by far the most comfortable carrier I've found.
I also love supporting the WAHM that runs KangarooKorner. She also designed the fleece pouch.
#9 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 09:33 AM

I have the www.heart2heart.ca sling, which I absolutely love. Samson, who is now 11 days old, just loves it too. I used it until Soleil was 30lbs.

Mamasoleil/samson
#10 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 11:35 AM

I adore my www.taylormadetreasures.com organic mesh sling. It's wonderful! I do have 2 slings for sale too - a padded denim-look sling and a cozy baby natural cotton ring unpadded sling. Let me know if you're interested in either one.
#11 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 12:23 PM

I was frightened of the ring slings at first, but once you get the hang of them they are fantastic! I second the rec for taylormadetreasures. I have a beautiful ring sling in a batik pattern with dark and light pinks. (Even dh said it was pretty!)

I'd be lost without my sling(s).

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#12 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to make a ring sling, and see about ordering a pouch.

I want to have one in white eyelet. So pretty..lol...

I want to have it to go to the hospital with and start using it for the get go.

THanks SO much for your input!!
#13 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thinkingcapp
I have two fleece pouches from kangarookorner.com (one for the car and one for the house) and I adore them! The weather here in Philly this summer has stopped me from using them but the minute it cools down I'm bringing them out again... The are by far the most comfortable carrier I've found.
I also love supporting the WAHM that runs KangarooKorner. She also designed the fleece pouch.
We have had a hot one this summer, haven't we?

Do you know she just started making a cotton one, too? It's not as wonderful & cozy, but still pretty nice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page