bathtime - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you get your child to sit down in the bathtub? My son is almost eleven months old, and he practically has a panic attack if I put him in a bath seat. He has recently started standing up in the bath. I give him two chances and if he does it again, the bath is over. Do you have any suggestions to keep him from standing up in the first place?
Any ideas would be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Ds crawls around in the bath. He generally does not try to stand, but plays on his knees. Maybe you can take a bath with him and model how you want him to sit.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 PM

Does he know what you mean when you ask him to sit? I would pat DD's bottom, and then say "on your bottom!" Since I said the same thing in several situations (at the top of the playground slide, in the booster seat), she was pretty good about sitting on it when asked, because she knew what I meant. I made sure to include "bottom" on the list of body parts we named when we were learning body parts.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 PM

So far I've had NO luck with this, although my little one's only 7 months so I don't expect her to understand as much as an 11-month-old might. She just learned to pull up to a stand and that's ALL she wants to do now, all day long (she even nurses standing up half the time these days). So, I've been taking tub baths with her, so that I can hang onto her and catch her when she inevitably slips.

If you don't want to do that... have you tried any bath toys? If there are interesting toys at water level, maybe those would hold his attention for a while and distract him from trying to stand?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM

Both of my kids went through a similar phase. I just let them stand and give them a quick wash in the tub and that's the end of that. Now they both really enjoy sitting and playing in the bath. I think the phase probably lasted about 3-4months each if memory serves.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:01 AM

My 9 month old is totally into standing in the tub. I always take baths with him, so I just keep a hand on him at all times, and let him go to town. His favorite activity in the tub right now is standing at the side and throwing very wet soggy terry cloth bath toys out onto the floor to hear and see them splat. I figure he won't be in this phase for long, and I only give him a bath about once a week, so I don't stress over it.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 AM

give him a shower instead
Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 AM

Does he like to splash the water with his hands? That's the only thing that keeps my now 15.5-month-old entertained int he tub. A rubber ducky in one hand, a washcloth in the other, splashing away. It's the only way she tolerates a bath, she used to hate them.

We don't use a bath seat, we just plunk her in the tub.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:38 AM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotopaxi View Post
So far I've had NO luck with this, although my little one's only 7 months so I don't expect her to understand as much as an 11-month-old might. She just learned to pull up to a stand and that's ALL she wants to do now, all day long (she even nurses standing up half the time these days). So, I've been taking tub baths with her, so that I can hang onto her and catch her when she inevitably slips.
:
DD is 6 1/2 months and recently learned to pull up to stand. Even before that, her favorite position was standing. It's all she wants to do anywhere, especially in the tub. Since I (or DH) take a bath with her I just don't worry about it and let her stand. If she slips, I can catch her.
My bigger worry is that she would get *cold* - it's cold in the bathroom, and once she's wet, it's even colder - but it doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest. She likes to look on the edge for different bath toys and to suck on the faucet (yuck)...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Ok

I'm not sure why standing up is so awful. Don't put too much water tub. Have toys. Let the child paint the walls, or the tub. I suspect that the child will sit down once they are ready each time, meaning they've gotten used to whole bath thing.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Banned

Try getting in the bath with him once or twice... or have daddy get in with him.. I never had the issue but I did want my mama did and put one of those gripper things (mine was a med size duck) on the bottom on the tub where I wanted ds to sit while bathing... I would let him play for a few minutes and tell him to sit on the duck while we got clean... he would sit there until I finished and then I would tell him he could get off the duck and play... (I also put a sticker of a bird... med size one on the celing above the tub so when I washed the shampoo out of his hair I would tell him to look at the bird and the water would run to the back of his head instead of in his face) this seemed to help the bath for us! Good Luck Mama!!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 PM

dd is 11 months and loves to have her bath in the kitchen sink - she's pretty content to sit, everything's within arm's reach, she has a good view and it saves my back. Maybe a change of scenery would work for your son?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM

My DD went through about 6 months around that age where she would NOT sit down in the bath for anything. I just worked with her on it, I would not let her jump, I kept my hands right around her at all times and washed quickly. At a certain point, she just sat down and that was the end of it. I just thought through why I felt she needed to sit down (the safety concern) and I addressed those concerns in a different way (by me being much more hands on and cautious, making sure I had proper nonslip mats, etc) and let her work through it in her own way.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM

I just let them stand up.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM

I don't - I just take a bath with him (or his dad does), and we have a no-slip mat, and that's that.

At 11mo, I wouldn't trust him to understand "do it again and the bath is over". He only understands "I can't do what I want to do, and now I'm being taken away from the fun place." Well, if he likes it, anyway. If he doesn't, he's probably thinking "why is it taking her so long to figure out I don't want to be here??"

And by the way, Hope you like it here!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 PM

DS1 did the same thing, around the same age. At first I freaked out a little b/c I was worried he would slip and fall - then went out and bought a non-slip tub mat and just let him stand. Eventually he went back to sitting down and has been a "sitter" ever since.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:40 PM

Also, For a while with one of the kids when visiting my mom we had one of those blow up ducky baths - we just put that inside of the bathtub, so the sides were soft and it worked out pretty well. Perhaps sitting on the soft inflatable surface of an inflatable bath would be more acceptable to him?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 PM

My almost 8 month old tries to climb out. I've found that giving him his ducks or a cup or other toys will occupy him enough to bathe him. He will even stay in a bit longer just to play if he has his toys.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSizzled View Post
The other thing would be that I'm not sure why standing up is so awful. Don't put too much water tub.

Someone gave me one kind of "bath seat" when my oldest was a babe and I think I tried it once. Ds hated it.
Well, us standing is pretty awful unless I'm in there with her, because even in shallow water she slips, and would absolutely get a major boo-boo on her head each and every bathtime otherwise! Holding her from the outside just doesn't cut it - I need to be in there with her with my arms around her.

However I do think the bath seat would be even worse - I think she'd try to stand anyway, and then she'd be even more likely to fall with something to trip over.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 AM

At that age I always took a bath with dd.

-Angela

User Tag List