solids=no poop???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
ARK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas, We started giving ds some solids about 3 weeks ago. he now hasn't had a poo in a week! He's usually pretty regular. Could it just be that his system is getting used to these new foods? I gave him some pro-biotics this morning but the poor little guy still hasn't been able to go. Feeling bad for the little one!!! Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 AM
Banned

Baby-Lax!!
Not sure how everyone else feels about these but I love them!!
#3 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 AM

I would back WAY off on solids if you're seeing a major change in bowel habits.

First- don't spoon feed at all. Just give him soft chunks he can self-feed. He can better regulate his own intake that way.

good luck!

-Angela
#4 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 AM

I had the exact same problem with dd! She was soooo uncomfortable, and was crying when trying to go. I found www.kellymom.com to have some good info. What worked for us was giving her more water (i.e. a couple of sips with each solid feeding) and limiting foods that are binding such as bananas and rice cereal. We also increased foods like pears, prunes, etc. and voila, success! I now give her a bit of diluted prune juice each day just to be sure, and so far she has been a lot more regular and is not in any pain.
#5 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:11 PM

How old is your DS? When we started DD on solids (around 6 months, from pressure from the ped), she got horribly constipated. We started her on the typical rice cereal, and then I later read that it's a common problem for babies meeting rice cereal. She was fine again after some time off of solids. I waited until she was regular again, and then tried other "solids." She ended up not wanting any solids anyway.

I later learned not to give a baby grains until they have molars - has to do with digestive enzymes.

I will not start our new baby on solids until a year (but we have high risk of food allergies here too.)
#6 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would back WAY off on solids if you're seeing a major change in bowel habits.

First- don't spoon feed at all. Just give him soft chunks he can self-feed. He can better regulate his own intake that way.

good luck!

-Angela

At around six months of age, it is perfectly normal for baby to not have daily bowel movements. This happened to my baby before we even started solids. It is just a normal part of the development. They can go as long as a week. Our doc's oldest went 13 days and then had one normal poop. He said she never even seemed uncomfortable! Mine now poops every 2-3 days. We have started solids but it has not changed this habit one bit. Thus, there is no need to regulate solids one bit. If baby seems uncomfortable, try feeding him pears. They are high in fiber. Mix it with a bit of water to make it even more likely to help poop. But, otherwise, don't worry about. Perfectly normal.
#7 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 PM

sorry, but it is not perfectly normal for a baby who is eating solids every day to go a week between bowel movements. A baby who is exclusivly breastfed yes, but not on solids.

Cut back on the solids and give your dc something to help them go, and watch for binding foods. A baby who is eating solids should be going at least every 2-3 days and it should always be soft and easy to pass.
#8 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM

again, how old is your babe?

for me, any change in bowel habits is a red flag to back off on introducing solids.

sounds really like he's not ready. though its not a big deal for babes to go even days without pooping, especially EBF, not if its a reaction to starting solids or causing them discomfort.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#9 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Could it just be that his system is getting used to these new foods?
Yes it could be. As I have pointed out, it very well could be. My baby was exclusively breastfed and doing this. She is now getting a meal a day and still doing this. She just had her 6 mos checkup and the doc said this is perfectly normal. She is not in any discomfort. It is just her system.

Could it also be that the solids you are feeding are too binding? Yes, but as I and several posters have pointed out, if you switch to pears or prunes or other foods with fiber, it should resolve itself it is meant to. If baby is uncomfortable, you can go a few days of just breastmilk and see if that helps. It is normal for babies of this age to go days without pooping and there is no way of knowing for sure that the solids are the problem unless you do some experimenting with it.

If baby is having a hard time passing a stool and/or is uncomfortable, calling your doctor is the safest bet. Here are some links of help:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/inf...pation/AN01089
http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...=detail&ref=69
#10 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 PM

My DS poops randomly - he'll go every single day at nearly the same time for a week, and then skip a couple days, then.. who knows. Its pretty random. I think the longest he's gone since we started solids was 5 days... but he commonly goes 2 or 3 days.
#11 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
sorry, but it is not perfectly normal for a baby who is eating solids every day to go a week between bowel movements. A baby who is exclusivly breastfed yes, but not on solids.
It's normal in our house. We don't know how much solids are being given or how old the baby is. My 8 month old who is eating solids goes every 2-6 days. She is never constipated, she is just growing fast and using all those nutrients. BUT, her solids consist of whatever she can pick up herself and self-feed, beans, rice puffs, avocado chunks, apple, etc. and it typically doesn't amount to very much.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#12 of 33 Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 PM

My 7mo goes about 7 days between poops. We've been trying solids for a month now and I don't see any change. (Granted, she isn't taking in that much food...we've tried banana, peaches, pears, rice cereal and avocado. She isn't loving any of it - except for pear slices in a mesh feeder!)
#13 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
It's normal in our house. We don't know how much solids are being given or how old the baby is. My 8 month old who is eating solids goes every 2-6 days. She is never constipated, she is just growing fast and using all those nutrients. BUT, her solids consist of whatever she can pick up herself and self-feed, beans, rice puffs, avocado chunks, apple, etc. and it typically doesn't amount to very much.
exactly, shes self feeding, they are self regulating, ds was the same way until he started eating consistently every day. If you are spoon feeding, the baby cannot self regulate the intake
#14 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 12:29 AM

:

#15 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
If you are spoon feeding, the baby cannot self regulate the intake
What? Since when? Unless someone is actively prying the baby's mouth open and forcing food in, babies are perfectly able to self regulate when being fed with a spoon. You put a spoon towards their mouth and if they want it, they indicate it. If you play around and they open their mouth, all the better. If they are full, they will not be interested, they will fuss a bit, they will move their head away - there are all sorts of possible ways of communicating "I am done mom!"

Your argument makes as much sense as saying that breastfed babies cannot self regulate, only bottle fed babies can and then only if they hold the bottle themselves. Since we all know that breastfed babies can turn their head away and indicate very nicely to mom that they are full, it is also logical to presume babies can tell mom or dad that they are full when being fed with a spoon. I know mine does!
#16 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 01:06 AM

Another problem with self regulating with spoon feeding is that it puts food in MUCH faster than the babe would themselves. Thereby allowing them to get PAST full before their brains get the message from their tummies that they are full. The same argument that has all the information for adults say SLOW DOWN don't eat too fast!

-Angela
#17 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Another problem with self regulating with spoon feeding is that it puts food in MUCH faster than the babe would themselves. Thereby allowing them to get PAST full before their brains get the message from their tummies that they are full. The same argument that has all the information for adults say SLOW DOWN don't eat too fast!

-Angela

I am not sure where you are getting these ideas. A sensitive mother will know how to feed her baby at a pace that is in keeping with baby's needs. Sure there are mamas who overfeed babies. But MOST mothers will not. Most mothers will know to go slow, feed only a bit, wait for signals that more is wanted, etc. Plus, most of it does not even end up in baby's mouth anyway. Most of usually ends up everywhere else!

I would like to see some scientific studies proving that spoon feeding leads to overfeeding before I will believe it. Every mom I know is very sensitive with spoon feeding and none of them overfeed. I do not overfeed my babies.
#18 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiniumpansy View Post
I am not sure where you are getting these ideas. A sensitive mother will know how to feed her baby at a pace that is in keeping with baby's needs. Sure there are mamas who overfeed babies. But MOST mothers will not. Most mothers will know to go slow, feed only a bit, wait for signals that more is wanted, etc. Plus, most of it does not even end up in baby's mouth anyway. Most of usually ends up everywhere else!

I would like to see some scientific studies proving that spoon feeding leads to overfeeding before I will believe it. Every mom I know is very sensitive with spoon feeding and none of them overfeed. I do not overfeed my babies.
There is plenty of information around adults who don't eat slowly that do over eat.
#19 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
At around six months of age, it is perfectly normal for baby to not have daily bowel movements. This happened to my baby before we even started solids. It is just a normal part of the development. They can go as long as a week. Our doc's oldest went 13 days and then had one normal poop. He said she never even seemed uncomfortable! Mine now poops every 2-3 days. We have started solids but it has not changed this habit one bit. Thus, there is no need to regulate solids one bit. If baby seems uncomfortable, try feeding him pears. They are high in fiber. Mix it with a bit of water to make it even more likely to help poop. But, otherwise, don't worry about. Perfectly normal.
As someone who dealt with chronic constipation after solid food introduction I will say that what the OP is discribing is a big indicator something is wrong. DD started out only being constipated for a couple of days. She would only poop enough to let off the pressure. Then the build up got worse and worse until I had a baby clenching her belly and shrieking in pain. She was going about 8-9 days between BMs with no discomfort symptoms and at the most it was about 12 days before she started getting pain in the belly and pain pooping. We ended up having to use Miralax and 100% stopped giving her solid food. I waited a couple more months before starting again.

OP they did an x-ray on DD to make sure she didn't have some sort of blockage and you could see poop backed up in her intestines for several inches. After I got her flowing again pooping continued being a major ordeal for her. She realized it could cause her pain and fought it. Only at 4 years has it gotten to the point where she will have a BM once every two days.

I would stop the food altogether, let your babe clear out the poop, and start again very slowly after a couple of weeks of normal BMs. You can use a suppository to help it along. It is so important they don't associate pooping with pain.
#20 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
There is plenty of information around adults who don't eat slowly that do over eat.

But, that does not mean that spoonfeeding babies causes over eating nor does it mean that spoonfeeding causes babies to eat too fast. Where is the evidence of that other than anecdotal?

And, yes, solids can cause constipation. But it does not mean that every baby who goes days between poops is constipated. The OP will never know until she tries foods with more fiber and/or stopping solids all together. As I and others have demonstrated, there is a WIDE range of normal here. However, the above example is far from normal and I would, in fact, consider it extreme and rare.
#21 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

To be fair, all you offered was anecdotal advice. I disagree that "most" mothers properly regulate their babies' intake. Have a look at any mainstream parenting board and read all the "tricks" and games they are employing to get their babies to eat more solids.

I'm not disagreeing with all of your points -- I do think that it is possible to spoon feed a baby and have him regulate his own intake; that is, if he takes the spoon and "helps" feeds himself. The problem I see is that with purees, a lot more food is ingested than would be with chunks.

Anyway. DS (7 mos.) has had banana, and had a bowel movement the following day, and has other tastes of things such as potato, mango and ham, and had regular bowel movements following those as well. I would be concerned with a change in bowel movements following a solid.
#22 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
But, that does not mean that spoonfeeding babies causes over eating nor does it mean that spoonfeeding causes babies to eat too fast. Where is the evidence of that other than anecdotal?

There is evidence not taking long enough breaks between bites causes overeating. What more do you want? :

Quote:
However, the above example is far from normal and I would, in fact, consider it extreme and rare.
What is extreme and rare about it? I followed the advice of "Just feed her prunes" or "Just give her more of the P's" until she landed in the doctors office with an impacted colon. IME even if some babies go several days without pooping and have no constipation it is better to err on the side of caution. What is the issue with stopping the solid food until the bowel movements regulate themselves?
#23 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM

My third child, daughter is 7 months old and about a month ago we started giving her little bits of table foods, either chewed or smooshed up (at her urging!). She went a week without pooping. I had read a long time ago that breastfed babies can go a up to a week without pooping and it's considered normal because the nutrition in breastmilk is so perfect, their bodies absorb a ton of it. So I went with my intuition not to do anything drastic.

When my babe started to seem like she was pushing, I did the Elimination Communication position with her on the toilet (facing the back of the toilet, my butt on the outer rim of the seat, babe between my legs also facing the back of the toilet, me holding her by the thighs). She pushed and got a lot of solid, but not hard, poop out! So I have done that a couple of times since then. Good job, sweetie!

I have not stopped giving her the foods she so badly wants (I knew she was ready for them because of her signals, and her ability to swallow them well). And she is now pooping regularly, though not as frequently as when she was littler.

If you need a little help getting that first poop out, the Searses recommend a chest-high warm bath for baby and for you to do a little gentle abdominal massage while they're in the water (they say to watch out for the mudslide!). Or you could try our toilet position.

Good job, Mama! I think you were right, his little system is adjusting to new stuff passing through. I think that when they are really uncomfortable is when it's time to "do something."
#24 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
What is the issue with stopping the solid food until the bowel movements regulate themselves?
Because there is no proof that the solids are the problem. It is very normal for babies of this age to slow down their pooping. Very normal.

And, you have not provided any proof of your points, yet.

Quote:
What is extreme and rare about it?
I've been posting thousands of posts on numerous parenting message boards for 4 years, read dozens of parenting books and I've never heard of this happening to anyone. Just my opinion, but it seems very rare to have a baby have such pooping problems.
#25 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weekl..._cnstipatn.htm

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?xyz...detail&ref=118

Quote:
For most breast-fed babies, a 3-day break from dirty diapers is a reason to celebrate, not a cause for alarm.

http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_d...EC&sub_cat=549

Quote:
By 3 to 6 weeks of age, some breastfed babies have only one bowel movement a week and still are normal. This happens because breastmilk leaves very little solid waste to be eliminated from the child's digestive system. Thus, infrequent stools are not a sign of constipation and should not be considered a problem as long as the stools are soft (no firmer than peanut butter), and your infant is otherwise normal, gaining weight steadily and nursing regularly.

Thus, it can be very normal and not necessarily a sign that there is a solid foods problem.
#26 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 06:14 PM

your links are all fine and dandy, but they are about BREASTFED babies.
#27 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Because there is no proof that the solids are the problem. It is very normal for babies of this age to slow down their pooping. Very normal.

Why do I need to supply any proof? I am not sure what exactly you are arguing about. The suggestion was that it is possible that the baby is being over fed and the easiest way to avoid over feeding is to not spoon feed. If your baby isn't constipated then obviously you aren't over feeding it.

Quote:
I've been posting thousands of posts on numerous parenting message boards for 4 years, read dozens of parenting books and I've never heard of this happening to anyone. Just my opinion, but it seems very rare to have a baby have such pooping problems.
You have never heard of a child getting constipated? Wow that does seem rare.
#28 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:
a 3-day break
A three day break isn't a week. The information you posted is about breastfed babies NOT babies eating solid food.

Here is one that mirrors the OP http://www.parents.com/parents/story.../data/9315.xml

And another one http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/foo...stipation.html

Quote:
A child is considered constipated when he or she has had fewer than three bowel movements in a week; when the stools are hard, dry, and unusually large; or when it's hard for the child to have a bowel movement.
Quote:
Usually a child is constipated when he or she is going less than usual.
#29 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:

neither have you
you've given lots and lots of wonderful advice and experience (though only anecdotal evidence), but all of it only relevant to exclusively BF babes.

Quote:
I would be hard pressed to read MDC or anywhere else for any length of time and not hear about a constipated child.

bottom line is that if a BF baby has a drastic change in digestion on the introduction off solids, then said baby likely isn't ready for solids.
many babies arent ready for solids until at least 12 months old, in fact the WHO recommends exclusive BF until 12 mo.

it seems reasonable to assume in the OP's case there was cause and effect with the solids. easy and healthy solution; back off on solids.

At this point, the OP hasn't gotten back to us. We dont know how old her babe is, or how much he's been eating. we dont even know if he's a BF babe (though I like to assume so).

#30 of 33 Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ladies, the tone here is getting a little antagonistic and personal. If you could all stand down a bit and take any personal issues to PM, it would go a long way to keep the thread on the board. Thanks, and please PM me with any questions or concerns.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page