crawling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-25-2003, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought I would vent a little about this. The other day at work, a coworker asked me how DD was doing. DD is 7 1/2 months old. I told her that she is doing well and she is trying to stand and walk already and really shows no interest at all in crawling and it seems like she might not crawl and just start walking since she is already standing. She dropped her jaw and said "you have to MAKE her crawl or she will be developmentally delayed." : OK whatever. Anyway, it turned into a discussion with 3 other people telling me that if I didn't MAKE my baby crawl, she would have developmental delays. I invited them to come to my house and attempt to MAKE my baby crawl. They didn't take me up on that.
So they had me so annoyed, I went home and looked up in the book that's written by the american academy of pediatrics and it says that some babies never crawl and as long as the child is using both sides of his/her body there should be no cause for concern. So.................the next time that I worked (I only work 3 days a week) I mentioned this to them......they still stand by their statement. The one said that she (DD) will probably be ok, but probably won't be very graceful :
Then we were talking about how I carry her all the time and I don't allow her to sit on the floor and cry. She tells me that that is the reason why she won't crawl and I need to start just leaving her on the floor and let her get mad. "Its good for babie's to get mad" :
So, I suppose there is really no point to this other than to vent...and inquire if anyone else has come into such ridiculous conversations with people giving absurd and unsolicited advice? And, I have learned something...when someone asks how DD is doing ......she's doing fine....that's it..just fine.

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#2 of 6 Old 08-25-2003, 11:42 PM

I'm sorry you have to work with uninformed people like that. You sound like a great mama! You know your dd and give her what she needs. Keep up the good work!
#3 of 6 Old 08-26-2003, 12:40 AM

My ds who is now 4, never crawled. I heard many similar comments...I carried him too much, didn't give him enough floor time, and that I had to make him crawl. I still love that one... I too would like to see someone make a baby crawl. We had people tell us that he would be developmentally delayed, he wouldn't be able to read, he would be dyslexic if he didn't crawl.

At the time, I remember worrying about it a lot. I spent a lot of time with him on the floor, but if I put him on his belly, he just flipped over!

Anyway, so far he's fine! More than fine, in fact. No developmental delays, though I guess its too soon to tell about the reading. Turns out there are a couple of others in my extended family who never crawled, with no ill effects.

My son's not really graceful, though neither am I, so it could be in the genes .
#4 of 6 Old 08-26-2003, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

The scary thing about this is that I'm an RN working on a post partum unit at the local hospital and one of the people telling me this is another nurse. Kind of scary huh?

#5 of 6 Old 08-26-2003, 11:48 AM

I'm not excusing their bad manners, but there has been some studies that have linked the two (not crawling and dyslexia.) I don't know where to find links, but I have seen this mentioned in the paper. The RN probably read one and you just triggered her remembering the article.
#6 of 6 Old 08-26-2003, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm familiar with those studies...but the problem here is is that those studies aren't necessarily accurate as not everyone agrees with them. Also, the other problem is this...even if there is a correlation between a child who never crawls and other developmental issues...this is not to say that forcing the child to crawl will erase the other issues that may or may not be down the road. If the child if predisposed to having developmental issue for whatever reason...forcing a child to crawl...will certainly not make that go away. Other than their rude behavior, that part of their conversation is something that I found completely ridiculous. KWIM?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page