is it too cold to walk outside? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you take LO outside for walk and how often?
Yes, but only above a certain temp. 17 23.94%
Yes, daily. 32 45.07%
yes, weekly. 9 12.68%
nope, too cold. 13 18.31%
nope, its bad for babies. 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been walking outside most days.... but today by time got to us and it was 430 and 30 degrees and felt like 25. : I don't want to be a weenie or hurt my babe.. Anybody else still walking. Just wandering what everyone else does. I need to move or i go crazy and i almost did it, but then changed my mind.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM

nak

sorry farenheit means nothing to me, lol, but i bet you,d be just fine. i live in montreal and go out every day unless it's like -25. layers are your friend....

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 PM
acp

I voted daily, but I should probably qualify it. If it were TRULY frigid or nasty out – I'm in Chicago, so I'm talking below 0, windy, really bad sleet, etc - I'd probably stay in unless we had to go somewhere. But in general, i try to get her out at least once a day, for a walk, or to do errands (walking), or to the playground or to visit friends - whatever. I think the change of scene is good, and it's good for her to get outside. I bundle her up, put her in the ergo, and if it's really cold, I wear a big enough jacket (like DH"s down jacket) that I can wrap it around both of us. Plus I figure my body warmth keeps her warm. If we stayed inside when it was cold, we'd never get out for a good chunk of the year since Chicago tends to be cold in the winter.

I will say that now that it's colder, I'm looking for more indoor destinations for us. In the summer we took lots of long walks just for the sake of being outside. Now I'm more likely to find a destination - even just the library or the local bookstore or a friend's house - and walk there, then let DD out to play around, rather than spend tons of time outside when it's freezing. I do like giving her a change of scene from our apartment every day, though.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i take babe out 3 times a day.. but only because i have to take the kids to school, pick up DD at 11:30 and then pick up DS at 3:30. if it were up to me, i'd only take her out above a certain temp, but that's just not a choice for us. so i bundle her up well and stick her in the sling and put a blanket over the whole thing to help block the wind.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 PM

It was only 7 degrees here yesterday. I think that's too cold for the baby. I would love to take her out for walks, but I haven't yet.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM

I take my babe outside for a walk at least 2 times a day when I take the older kids to school and pick them up. But I live in Oregon, and it usually doesn't get really cold here, although today I think it was 40 degrees, which is mighty cold for us!

I dress the baby warmly (onsie, fleece sleeper) and then put him in a snowsuit. I wear him in the babyhawk and wrap my jacket around him. He stays very toasty.

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 AM

I say "too cold" but I really mean "too rainy" -- it doesn't stop raining here from November 'till about February!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:11 AM

I take DS out every day if I can...it's supposed to get into single digits tomorrow, so we'll have to play it by ear. He's never experienced temps this cold yet in his little life!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 AM

Yep. 25-30 are not very cold to me.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 AM

I'm such a wimp!!! I've been staying inside unless it's over 40! I'm in So. California, and we just moved to the mountains, so I'm sort of being a weenie about the weather. I think I'll just go ahead and bundle him up tomorrow and we'll take a walk! :

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Old 01-18-2008, 03:55 AM

almost every day. and on days i don't i usually regret it. i think that wind is a bigger factor for dd's comfort level than temp, fwiw.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM

I'm just too much of a cold wimp myself, and I just don't really get how to bundle my 7mo up enough in the MT when we go walking. Cold fingers, feet, and face are no fun. Any hints? I'd love to get out more since he loves it so much.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM

We go out every day (except maybe the weekend!) to drop-off and pick-up dc from school. Babe is usually in a buggy on cold days to help with the wind but is sometimes in the sling if I have all four kiddos (two in the buggy, eldest walking and baby in the sling). My hands are suffering from all the buckling and unbuckling of kiddos, fixing mittens etc. in this weather.

Thankfully the weather has been relatively mild - no frigid days as of yet. I am in Toronto so warmer than Montreal (and maybe even Chicago!)

I have no issues taking babe out up to -15C (or I think that might be really close to OF but not sure) taking into account the wind factor as well. Beyond that, I might call my neighbour to walk my dc to school (and I take her little one).

It makes me feel so much better to get out everyday - a bit of excercise, fresh air and a routine of sorts. I love it.

Get out there!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 AM

I voted too cold. But most of the time the temps that are below freezing are too hard on my lungs for me to be outside (asthma). So no way I could take baby out. We go to run errands and such though, but outside time is limited to walking from car to doorways. I cannot wait for spring so we can take walks. DD1 was a summer baby and I have fond memories of walks with her as a newborn.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

i loved having a fleece sling to go on walks and hikes with dd. i fondly remember our first hike together. we were at canaan valley in west virginia. dd was only 3 months old and so tiny then. dh and friends were snowboarding. dd and i bundled up and took a hike through the woods; she fell asleep so peacefully. i wouldn't have gone out without the fleece sling all snuggled around her!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 PM

When I worked in childcare the rule from the ministry is outside at least twice a day unless it is colder then -15 C (5 F) degrees out or feels that with wind chill. This is for all children from 6 weeks and up. Not to mention that the babes are not being worn but are in strollers or if they are walkers on the playground.

We would bundle up the babies in the strollers and use blankets and I use to wear the little ones under my coat if it was really cold (we usually only had one or so under 6 mons) They were fine. Sometimes my Toddlers would complain in the playground when it was cold and then I would just shorten the outside time.

When my grandma's children were babes she used to wrap them up and put them in a carriage outside to sleep (by themselves) to acclimatize them to the weather from the time they were a few weeks old My poor mom was born in January : But she survived, thankfully

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 PM

I have to take the dog no matter if its too cold/rainy/snowy, so if dp is at work then the lo and i both take the dog.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM

We go for walks almost daily.

DD buses with her dad twice a week (this involves a 15 minute walk) - and so far the coldest they've done is -20C (-5F). So I don't think that's to cold. She has to be dressed for it.

Right now he also takes her for a 10 minute walk to put her for a nap on those days too - so sometimes she gets 2 walks at that temp.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM

We got out, unless it's too windy for us. I don't know what's the lowest temp we've been out. We were out New Year's Day and DD got a little chapped, but we had her in the Baby Trekker with her heavy snowsuit on under Daddy's coat and except for her cheeks she was fine and loved it! My toes got cold enought to hurt walking in with boots on.
It really depends what your comfort level is. I'm generally cold, but I love beign outside, and if I stayed inside simply because it was cold, egh, I'd be unbearable, and no one would ever go out. Cold is relative. Forty degrees is a heatwave here, this time of year. When it was that warm a few weeks ago I saw at least two people wearing shorts. Not me, but I didn't wear my long underwear and only had a light jacket on.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:22 PM

I try and take DS out for a walk everyday, just for the fresh air and change of scene (and exercise for me). It tends to be 30-40 degrees around here, and he's fine with it, except when a chilly wind blows - he kinda groans then. He usually falls alseep by the time I get home, and I get some nice time on the computer
Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 PM

At 30, I'd take the walk. Just dress very, very warm, and make sure the baby has even more layers on than you.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 PM

some of you are such wimps!

it was 35 here today and it felt like spring! we went on a long walk around town. that said dd's skin gets raw if it's below say 10 degrees. i don't walk every day of the winter but i do try to get her out of the house. we have one of those 'bundle me's which works great getting her around to grocery shopping w/out making her look like that kid in a christmas story! if we're walking she's usually in a snow suit w/ hat and mittens in my sling w/ a blanket by her face.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 PM

At 30 degrees I'd go for a walk. That seems like a heat wave! It's -2 today, and the windchill is -25. It's cold enough for frostbite in 5-10 minutes. Definitely too cold to go outside, especially for my 1 month old.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 PM

How old are the babes you take out? It's not too cold here and I've been wanting to take him out for a walk in a few more weeks but I was afraid maybe he is too young.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 01-18-2008, 09:00 PM

We bundle DD up and take her for a walk! The fresh air is GOOD for them! Our doctor said that the cold air can actually be good for baby's lungs and sinuses because in the winter all the dry air from central heating is damaging. DD loves going for walks so we just make sure she's toasty warm - usually in her bunting with BabyLegs and outfit underneath.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8824 View Post
How old are the babes you take out? It's not too cold here and I've been wanting to take him out for a walk in a few more weeks but I was afraid maybe he is too young.
I do it from birth.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 PM

hmmm thanks i might just do this tomorrow

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 AM

I live in alaska and if i didn't go outside in the winter I'd be inside 8months of the year! !Winter ends in May here and starts in October. However I'm a wimp and won't go out under 20 degrees

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 AM

i definitely would love to take dd out more often. i'm somewhat of a wimp, but also not sure how much her little cheeks can take. winter here is -15 to -25 (celsius) average temp days with a few feet of snow. dd doesn't do well being bundled under my jacket or with her face covered, she wants to be looking around at everything. i try to head to the mall or someplace that we can walk indoors. then again, sometimes i just suck it up and take her out. but not tonight: it's -45(celsius) with the wind (-49F)!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 PM

I have observed that my kids need to get outside for at least a short time every single day. If they don't, they don't sleep well at night, and we all wind up with colds and coughs from being stuck inside breathing stale, germy, dry air. So I try. When the weather is really awful, sometimes we don't go, but most days we at least go sit on the porch for ten minutes and get some fresh air. I think the only time I wouldn't take them out at all is in really horrible sleet or something like that. And if it was really cold, I'd keep an eye on them-- put a hand down their collar occasionally to make sure their bodies were warm, and watch little ears and cheeks to make sure they're rosy and not frostbitten.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

User Tag List