9-month old not sitting up unassisted. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-18-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I have a 9-month old who is not sitting up unassisted. Is this normal? My ped recommended sending him to a physical therapist. I guess I could be in denial but he just seems, I hate to say it, lazy. He sits up unassisted when it is something he is interested in but just do it is not an option.
#2 of 17 Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 AM

I would have him seen; the therapist can always just perform an evaluation and assure you nothing is developmentally wrong.
#3 of 17 Old 01-18-2008, 03:41 AM

DS started sitting unassisted around 8 months. But he was still pretty wobbly and we'd always put a pillow behind him (not touching him) in case he fell, LOL. Anyway, he's a perfectly normal, healthy baby even though he's consistently met his physical milestones later than other babies. He is an extremely intelligent, observant and vocal little guy.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#4 of 17 Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 AM

If he were mine, I'd have him seen, because low tone or "poor sitting" (which is a common reason for not sitting well; either tensing the muscles is hard for the child or he is putting his legs/hips in the wrong position) can be helped so much. One of our good friends is a PT and works with kids all the time; usually some simple tools can help a great deal, and if there's clinical low tone you can get started on therapy now so there won't be as much of an issue later.
#5 of 17 Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 AM

Ds didn't sit unassisted until 12 months. And then one day he just did. Some babies are late bloomers but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have him seen.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#6 of 17 Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
DBZ

I'd have him seen too.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#7 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses. I spoke with a PT today and she advised that perhaps my son is just lazy. We have been bad about holding him all the time. She advised giving him A LOT of tummy time and if after another few weeks he is still not sitting up to bring him in.
#8 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touting View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I spoke with a PT today and she advised that perhaps my son is just lazy. We have been bad about holding him all the time. She advised giving him A LOT of tummy time and if after another few weeks he is still not sitting up to bring him in.
My dd didn't sit up unassisted until after she started crawling at 10mo. I think ds took even longer.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 04:58 AM

One of my many cousins multiple times removed's baby was similar. Pretty much as soon as she started putting him down and giving him something really cool to think about while down there (like metal pots and pans and other usually forbidden things) he decided he wanted to sit up and play.

My DS sat early, but I think partially because of this http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-T.../dp/B00008PW0H really cool toy that he played with for AGES (well past three). He was so into it that he made himself sit up.

I also think that his great muscle tone was from being a sling baby rather than a stroller/baby capsule kid. So it might be worth slinging for a while, if you don't already, to see if you can get those little abs built up.
#10 of 17 Old 01-21-2008, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

My baby is a sling baby. He is rarely in the stroller mainly because I hate them though. I will look into getting that toy. Thank you so much for your help.
#11 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

I took my baby to a PT today and she thought my baby is being held too much. But, in the past few weeks, we have been putting hiim on his tummy and now he is scooting almost crawling but is still not sitting up. What in world!
#12 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 12:56 PM

We sit DS up and put a boppy around him for support, that way WHEN he falls he doesn't bash his brains!
#13 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Is your son crawling? My DD didn't sit up until 8-9 months I think because she was too busy crawling and couldn't get from crawling to sitting on her own yet. Once she could easily move between those two positions she sat all the time.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#14 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 03:34 PM

I didn't read the other responses, but I wanted to tell you my first was this way, and had an undiagnosed ear problem - tubes were put in, he was sitting/crawling/walking within a few days - his equilibrium was messed up for gawd knows how long... poor baby!

Good luck!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#15 of 17 Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my GAWD! You may have hit the nail on the head! My son has recurring ear infection since he was a few weeks old. He literally has 1 ear infection a month.
Thank u so much!
#16 of 17 Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM
cdc

Hey, you cant hold your baby too much!!! Your PT is not a child development expert, so dont let her make you feel bad!

If your babies muscle tone is OK, then play with her on the floor, tummy time but not alone and he will get there!
#17 of 17 Old 02-02-2008, 11:36 PM

I would recommend taking your baby to a chiropractor (a more natural/holistic chiro). After a couple of adjustments, I bet the ear infections will clear up. That way you won't have to use antibiotics that don't really work anyway (and can do a lot of damage if used too much).

My DD is just about 10 months old and has never once had an ear infection (nor antibiotics!) due to the fact that we take her to the chiro weekly.

Keep us updated!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page