Infant with rapid breathing. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so happy to hear it went well!!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#32 of 41 Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

That's so good to hear!
#33 of 41 Old 02-05-2008, 12:47 AM

I don't have any of the issues you moms have had to deal with, but I couldn't read this thread and not comment. I am so glad that all your babes are doing well! This was a very informative thread.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#34 of 41 Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidprego View Post
its so weird that you posted this today. i have a 5 week old ds who has rapid breathing when awake. last night he kinda scared me because he sounded junky and wheezy. we co-sleep and i found that i have to get up and feed him in the glider during the night because that is the only way i will remember to burp him. he has to be burped and when i feed him in bed, i am so tired that i fall asleep and wake up because he is sputtering or crying because he needs to be burped. he is fine when he is sleeping. he looks fine in every way, maybe very slight retractions under his ribs when he is breathing fast.
i sat next to the phone contemplating calling the pedi. i called two days ago and he said he sounded fine but would see him if i wanted to. after last night i thought i should call, but i still haven't because he is back to his normal self today. still breaths fast while awake. we pay out of pocket for all our visits so i am reluctant to go if he is fine.
i don't hear any murmur (i'm embarrassed to say that i am a NICU and have a stethoscope). but i dealt with sick newborns not older babies.
keep us posted on how your little guy is doing. i'm hoping my little one will grow out of it in the next few weeks.
Mama, you need to take him in if he's retracting. That's a big warning sign that something isn't working quite right with his lungs or heart, usually the lungs. DS2 has very severe asthma/reactive airway disease/possible cystic fibrosis (we don't have a diagnosis yet), and we have been told to bring him immediately if he begins retracting.
#35 of 41 Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
Mama, you need to take him in if he's retracting. That's a big warning sign that something isn't working quite right with his lungs or heart, usually the lungs.
I agree, the ER staff FREAKED OUT when DS2 started retracting. That is when they called a med flight. IMO, there is never really a case where retractions are harmless. Please update us when you can!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#36 of 41 Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to check in and see how our little breathers are doing now in March?
Ds is getting better, but still has times when he's fast. We go back to the ped tomorrow for his 2m and I just emailed the pulmonologist with an update to see if she wants to draw blood gas levels.
Otherwise, he is doing really well...cooing, rolling, smiling a ton and trying to stand up every chance he gets! Nursing is going great too so I'm still feeling better.
How is everyone else?

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#37 of 41 Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM

Can I check in too? My rapid breathing heart baby is doing really well. He is 9 mos old today and it has been 8.5 mos since his heart surgery. He still breathes fast and here there and sweats while nursing still, but continues to do well. I hope all of the other fast breathing babies are doing well!

#38 of 41 Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Jilian...so glad to hear you are making progress as well!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#39 of 41 Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Glad to hear everyone's good updates!

My Gavin is doing MUCH better. He does not have cystic fibrosis (big relief!), and our doctor thinks now that it's just asthma since all the other tests came back negative. I hate to say this because I don't want to jinx him, but I really believe he's slowly growing out of his problems. He still gets junky/wheezy when he has a cold, but on a normal day, he doesn't have any breathing issues anymore, which is such a huge improvement from where we were 2 months ago.
#40 of 41 Old 04-20-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas...andother update here. Ds was to the pediatric pulmonologist this past Thursday and she released him from her care saying he's officially grown out of the rapid breathing business! It was such a great visit. She had a medical resident trianing with her and it's a huge children's hosp....she told the resident to pay careful attention while examining ds becasue she will rarely see an infant so healthy in the field. I was so relieved to hear that. She counted his resp rate at 50 and was impressed with his weight gain and how well he was holding himself up and rolling over at 3 1/2m.

While we were there I was reflecting on how I felt when we went the first time in late Jan. He's come such a long way! I just wish there were more resources so other parents who have the same experience can get some more info at the start. I guess you just have to wait it out and run the tests and make sure everything is fine before really resting easy.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

#41 of 41 Old 04-20-2008, 02:14 PM

I'm so happy to hear that he's doing well! That must have been such great news to hear! I wish there were more resources too. I wish they talked more about things like this before discharging new babies from the hospitals after birth. I'm thinking of starting a campaign to have a handout distributed to new moms with warning signs of a heart defect - just in case. While I HATE spreading hysteria, I hate even more to hear that 50% of babies with heart defects die within the first year of life and many of the heart defects aren't even diagnosed until after birth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page