Wrapping crib mattress - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you planning or have you wrapped your baby's crib mattress?

There is info about mattress wrapping and it's effectiveness against SIDS at http://www.babysnugglebugs.com/catal...03c04637acca63, as well as at www.cotlife2000.com

I have not done this with either of my kids but I'm pretty sure I will this time. The one thing that I don't like about it is that you're unable to use a waterproof mattress pad, but I'm thinking if I just put a cotton towel or something between the mattress and the sheet it would work just as well.

Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been. Has your babe tummy slept if you've wrapped your mattress?

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#2 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 09:33 PM

I'm researching organic mattresses and futons and I use a felted wool blanket under the baby for waterproofing. I don't know anything about crib wrapping, but it sounds like the use of a chemical product to prevent the outgassing of chemicals. Would you say that is what it is?
#3 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM

I have not done this but I agree that for a waterproof layer I would just use an old wool blanket or a couple of layers of wool fabric sewn together. You could even knit a pad and felt it then lanolize it.
#4 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... I guess so. I know it prevents phosphorus, arsenic and timony vapors from the mattress from escaping. Apparently sheepskins (at least the ones used in the studies) released a large amt of phosphorus - and I thought those were pretty popular with people who EC?

Did you see this part?

Is there an advantage to purchasing an Organic Cotton/Wool mattress, instead of a commercial mattress treated with fire retardants?

It is very important to understand that with respect to COT/CRIB DEATH prevention, contrary to opinions publicized in the USA and other countries, the terms "natural" or "organic" do not by definition mean "safe". The very "natural" quality of numerous fibers used in so-called "natural" bedding components can render the bedding item UNSAFE.

This is because animals and plants ingest certain toxins from the soil on which they graze/grow, and then excrete the toxins into their skin/wool/hair/bark. As a result, certain chemicals which can result in toxic gas generation (i.e. phosphorus, arsenic and/or antimony) can be present in all of the following components which are frequently used in the manufacture of baby bedding and other babycare items (such as sleep mats):

Wool
Sheepskin
Sheepfleece
Kapok
Coconut fibre
Horsehair
Tree bark
Feathers (down)
Etc.

In addition, these chemical/s can be incorporated into certain so-called "natural" bedding components as part of the manufacturing process (for example, antimony is frequently incorporated in the manufacture of "natural latex rubber").

The result is that many mattresses manufactured using so-called "natural" components (e.g. mattessses containing kapok, latex rubber, tree bark, coconut fibre) can pose a far greater risk of cot death to a baby than mattresses manufactured using synthetic components (e.g. foam block).

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#5 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 09:47 PM

I wrapped my boys when they were much older than infants but I would have done it younger if I could do it over. I'm not so much concerned about SIDS but I do think they absorb the chemicals.

I used wool sleeping clothing until my son developed a wool allergy so they likely got plenty of whatever might be in wool.

But the mattress wraps are relatively inexpensive compared to buying a chemical free mattress if you could find one. The wrap I have is a (non-toxic, food grade) plastic so I wasn't worried about leaks onto the mattress. The leaks wouldn't go through the plastic I wouldn't think.

But the plastic feels like plastic under a sheet. So we got large cotton towels and use those under the sheet for that reason. Kind of a pain honestly to use. I'm not concerned about cotton contamination. You can't stop everything and kiddo has to sleep in something and the sheets are cotton. So a cotton mattress not fire proofed wouldn't worry me much. Latex to me is too allergenic. Wool turns out to be allergenic for us and harbors dust mites too (another good side effect of the mattress wrap would be dust mites).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 PM

Co-sleeping so I'm not worrying about this, but why not just buy the mattress now and let it do all it's outgassing before the baby gets here?

Or get a used bassinette since those are a great way to keep the baby right by you if you're not bed-sharing, and then the crib mattress can outgas until the baby's older and you actually use the crib.
#7 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 PM

I was under the impression that the gases that come off are worse the older the mattress is. That is why the rate of sids is higher in subsequent children. Everything I have read about mattress wrapping has said that if you are not going to wrap the mattress at least get new mattress for each kid.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#8 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post
I was under the impression that the gases that come off are worse the older the mattress is. That is why the rate of sids is higher in subsequent children. Everything I have read about mattress wrapping has said that if you are not going to wrap the mattress at least get new mattress for each kid.
Really?? Eeep! So outgassing isn't just needing to be aired out. Wow, good to know.
#9 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Co-sleeping so I'm not worrying about this, but why not just buy the mattress now and let it do all it's outgassing before the baby gets here?

Or get a used bassinette since those are a great way to keep the baby right by you if you're not bed-sharing, and then the crib mattress can outgas until the baby's older and you actually use the crib.
Honestly, it didn't sound like something that outgassing alone would fix...? I don't know...

#10 of 36 Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 PM

This makes me feel great about cosleeping. My babies never take naps in a crib or sleep in a crib until almost a year, so i'm not too worried about it.
#11 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
Honestly, it didn't sound like something that outgassing alone would fix...? I don't know...
Read a bit further, I was totally confused about what outgassing was.
#12 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
As a result, certain chemicals which can result in toxic gas generation (i.e. phosphorus, arsenic and/or antimony) can be present in all of the following components which are frequently used in the manufacture of baby bedding and other babycare items (such as sleep mats):
antimony is also found in khol...
Quote:
The ancient words for antimony mostly have, as their chief meaning, kohl, the sulfide of antimony.
I was at a high end makeup counter and they were selling that crap to put on your eyes...antimony I kid you not.

But toxic gases are also in our own matresses..and since its hard to find any matress material that hasn't been flame retardanted...lol not a word I know.

my kids don't use the crib much at all but I've always gotten a brand spanking new matress for each child's birth as even if they are in them while I shower, for small naps (if one of my kids will actually do that without being held) my three year old napped in his crib 2x (this year for sh%ts and giggles I keep my laundry in it)

I just got a latex matress TODAY king size!!!!
rather pregnant cosleeping mama size..although oddly enough the kids are not sleeping here as they had to be put to bed early as the husband was putting the box spring together (4 hours thank you ikea....)

I think I am going to get a cosleeper I have a bassinette but I find them just plain old uncomfortable beside my bed I like to see my babies breathe....

8 might be enough
#13 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Other options are using an organic mattress, a used mattress that has off gassed, buying a mattress now and letting it off gas the remainder or pregnancy.

Or my favorite, don't use a crib!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#14 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 01:22 PM

http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/vacf/outgas.html
Outgassing rates decrease over time, even between 1 hour and 100 hours.
Does anyone have references to older items outgassing more?

Also, in a number of places getting an older mattress that has already outgassed is recommended.

We've slept on our mattress for 6 years now with no change in sleep effects when we've slept other places (including on floors). And none of the health effects that seem to be attributed to outgassing chemicals.
#15 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
[url]
Outgassing rates decrease over time, even between 1 hour and 100 hours.
Does anyone have references to older items outgassing more?
The reason to wrap is not becuase of normal outgassing, it is because of kinds of mold that can develop over time. The older the mattress is the more dangerous it is.

http://www.birthwithlove.com/resources/articles/article.asp?ID=4

Remember we aren't just talking about off gassing and it being bad over time to smell chemicals but specific kinds of toxic gases that have been linked to SIDS.

"Cot death is caused by gaseous poisoning, the gases being phosphine, arsine and stibine (and/or derivative gases). These toxic gases can be generated from the mattress where a baby sleeps. They are formed by the action of common household fungi (e.g. Scopulariopsis brevicaulis) on (respectively) compounds of the elements phosphorus, arsenic and antimony within the mattress. The cot death risk increases as a mattress is re-used from one baby to the next." (my bold)

Some additional reading:

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/138/1/Crib-Death-(SIDS)-Factors

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140261982/102-8698031-5672142?v=glance&n=283155
#16 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Other options are using an organic mattress, a used mattress that has off gassed, buying a mattress now and letting it off gas the remainder or pregnancy.
Doesn't solve the problem if you believe in the research that has been linked to here.
#17 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 PM

Huh, those might account for why babies will occasionally miss a breath or two in their breathing patterns. The theories I've read say that it's because the baby's developing, but airborne chemicals seem like they'd do something to.

However, those incidents of irregular breathing are less in co-sleeping babies.

Also, since the issue is fungi, could the fact that crib mattresses have a tendency to get damp be a factor?

Small nitpick, the links above don't provide easy access to the studies referenced (and I couldn't find any studies referenced in the second link).
It'd be nice to have something like:

http://www.babyreference.com/Cosleep...%20Studies.htm
#18 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
The reason to wrap is not becuase of normal outgassing, it is because of kinds of mold that can develop over time. The older the mattress is the more dangerous it is.

Remember we aren't just talking about off gassing and it being bad over time to smell chemicals but specific kinds of toxic gases that have been linked to SIDS.
Ah this was a long time ago now so my mind is not as fresh on the subject as before BUT if my memory serves me .....

what everyone is missing here is that ANY mattress (adult, crib, toddler) with certain compounds, especially those used in mainstream fireproofing (phosphorus, arsenic and antimony) when mixed with LIQUID (urine, drool, spit up) cause a specific kind of mold to grow. This mold lets off a toxic gas that can cause your babies breathing to slow or stop, I remember they likened it to a nerve gas. When the baby is found dead the gases are at such small levels they are not detectable in the blood and no noticeable physical markings are left even at autopsy so the death is labeled SIDS. (They are not sure why it does not happen to all babies that come in contact with high levels of this poison.)

The reason why they caution the use of older mattresses is that the mold is in higher quantities since the mattress has been had much bodily fluid already deposited on it from prior children. They also found in the study that it was more likely for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th child to die of SIDS than the first when a mattress is re-used.

Co-sleeping seems to have a smaller risk since the mom notices even subconsciously that their child's breathing pattern had changed and tends to the baby. (Another benefit!) But we also have to realize that ALL mainstream mattresses have these fireproofing chemicals so they will also grow the same mold if exposed to fluid. The only way around the mold growth is a mattress without those fireproofing chemicals OR to mattress wrap keeping the fluid off the mattress and the mold from growing.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#19 of 36 Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 PM

Wow -- I will have to read more about this! We co-sleep (naps included) until baby is at least 6 or 7 months old but I'm sure there is still a SIDS risk at that point. Plus, the fumes can't be good.
#20 of 36 Old 01-21-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post

what everyone is missing here is that ANY mattress (adult, crib, toddler) with certain compounds, especially those used in mainstream fireproofing (phosphorus, arsenic and antimony) when mixed with LIQUID (urine, drool, spit up) cause a specific kind of mold to grow.
Yes absolutely. People who want to wrap should wrap whatever mattress the baby is going to be on.
#21 of 36 Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 AM

You might want to check out this:

http://www.joannabk.com/babyblog/200...swrapping.html

before you start to wrap your mattress. There is NO scientific proof that 'wrapping" a mattress reduces the rate of SIDs.
#22 of 36 Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chochkies View Post

before you start to wrap your mattress. There is NO scientific proof that 'wrapping" a mattress reduces the rate of SIDs.
Wow, really? There was even an article in midwifery today about it. Would they publish something that wasn't credible?

#23 of 36 Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 PM

We wrapped our co-sleeper and we wrapped our crib, and although she didn't go into either very much, when she did, I didn't worry about her as much. We also never slept them on any wool products, only organic cotton.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#24 of 36 Old 01-21-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chochkies View Post

No there isn't scientific proof but the anecdotal proof from new Zealand is pretty powerful so if SIDS is something that a person is particularly worried about they might as well go ahead and wrap their mattresses. It isn't like it costs an arm and a leg.

"Mattress-wrapping for cot death prevention, which has been publicised in New Zealand for over four years, has had a 100% success rate. Approximately 400 cot deaths occurred in New Zealand during the years 1995 to 1999 inclusive, but there has been no reported cot death among the many tens of thousands of babies who have slept on mattresses wrapped to the Cot Life 2000 specifications.

The New Zealand cot death rate has fallen markedly since mattress-wrapping commenced in late 1994. From 1994 to 1998 the nationwide rate fell by 48%, and the Pakeha (European) rate by an estimated 60%."
#25 of 36 Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM

I've been researching mattress wrapping as well.
I have a question though. Can I use an old mattress and just wrap it? My daughter is 2 years old, and her mattress was used by another family before we got it. It is still firm and not dirty, but I am now worried about fungus inside.
Can I just wrap it? Or do I have to buy a new mattress along with a wrap?

The new baby won't be sleeping in the crib until atleast 3 or 4 months.
I am on a serious budget (newly single mom) but want to do whats safest!

___

I found the results on the studies to be unreal! Even though it hasn't been "proven" all the theories on it make perfect sense to me! (Why it is more common in 2nd, 3rd..ect children. Why SIDS is more common in winter, ect).
#26 of 36 Old 02-08-2008, 12:54 PM

I think an older mattress is fine. Wrapping it will take care of anything icky.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#27 of 36 Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM

What an interesting & informative thread. I must be in a cave b/c I had never heard of mattress wrapping until now. We made the final decision to not buy a crib yesterday, but have talked about buying ourselves a new king size to replace what we have now, but I think I'll be wrapping that for sure.

Thanks for the info ladies, you guys rock

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#28 of 36 Old 02-08-2008, 01:20 PM

I am going to use a crib at least for a little while. I am going to side car it. I'm a little nervous about having 2 babies in bed. But here is the mattress I will be getting:
http://www.nontoxic.com/beds/crib.html

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#29 of 36 Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Oh gosh. One more thing to fret about! Eeek! Somtimes ignorance really can be bliss. I will need to read more about all this...
#30 of 36 Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM

I just read somewhere that the new zealand studies were done by the guy who sells the mattress wrappers and new mattresses.

biased much?

off to look that up.
\
ETA: His name is Dr Jim Sprott

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page