Taking baby for a walk when it's cold - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Georgia, so we definitely don't get a lot of the crazy freezing weather that goes on up north, but the past few days it has been really cold, especially by our southern standards.

Today is the first day in a week that it has been sunny. We've been inundated with freezing rain lately.

So, I decided that my 7 mo DD and I really needed to get out of the house. I was feeling very tired and lethargic, and usually I would just put her down for a nap and go take one myself, but I'm trying to do things differently these days, and a walk seemed like a good idea.

I bundled her up in warms fleece pants, a onesie and socks, then layered over that a warm teddy-bear suit that had covered feet and hands and a hood. I secured her in her stroller and wrapped her in her big crocheted blanket...and away we went.

She LOVED it. Giggled and babbled and squealed the whole time.

But my DH fussed because I took her out in the cold weather. We didn't have an argument about it or anything. He just expressed his disapproval, even after I explained to him how bundled up she was and the fact that we were only outside for 15 minutes...and the fact that it was 44 degrees...

So, what do you guys do? Do you take your healthy babies out for walks when it's cold outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I take the lo outside all the time. We have a dog and she needs to walk long distances, otherwise she will be a bundle of energy getting in trouble every second. So we need to go for walks.

I think is healthy for them. We've been out in the cold when is 15F, she is all bundled and cozy in a mei tai, so I'm not really worried about the cold. In fact she takes better and longer naps when we go out.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 PM

You're fine and so your LO. My brother and I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska and not much would stop my parents from taking us out. I think I was just a bundle of snowsuit with a tiny face sticking out. I going for walks with my parents when my brother was tiny and all that was showing was his eyes . It was so cute.

Wearing your baby helps keep them warmer as well.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM

nak...you tell you husband that in vermont 44 degrees constitutes wearing shorts! lol. I take my bundled up 5 mo. old out in 20 degree weather...today is 4 degrees so we r staying in.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 01-21-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devibhagwati View Post

Wearing your baby helps keep them warmer as well.
I'm a wannabe-baby-wearer...but I have shoulder problems and just haven't found a sling/wrap that allows me to carry her without a great amount of pain.

Still looking, though...I'd rather wear her than put her in a stroller any day.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM

It was really cold here yesterday (25F, with 16F windchill. Give me a break, I live in VA). I put on long johns, jeans, and a turtleneck sweater, put the baby in his outfit (pants, babylegs, socks, shoes, turtleneck onesie, shirt) + a hat and then inside a fleece suit. Strapped him into the ergo, put on a sweatshirt, zipped it up over him, then put on my cloak and a hat. It was a bit cold for just a cloak, but my winter coat doesn't fit over my sweatshirt easily. I need to get a fleece vest--no hood or arms to get in the way.

I did slather some balm on his cheeks (and mine) because it was windy. He stayed toasty.

On days when it's not quite so cold, I do use the stroller sometimes. I put him in a warm outfit, then put him in a quilted snowsuit that has the fold-over bits for his hands. Into the stroller he goes with a blanket. I always have a separate hat for him, usually under the suit's hood.

If I lived further north, I'd have a better system for babywearing, but it rarely gets that cold here.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM

It's been under 10 degrees here, so I haven't taken her out. If it gets a little warmer I'll take her out. I figure if she's in the stroller, all bundled up she'll be fine.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 PM

Your dh fussed about 44 degrees? I am from NE PA and don't consider wearing a jacket then! Thats sweatshirt weather! I took dd when she was 4 months old out in weather colder than that. And she actually stopped crying! (she was a very unhappy baby) My rule is that it has to be at or above 32 for a baby older than 3 months. I don't take younger babies out at 32, though. As long as you had your little one bundled up I don't see a problem. A 7 month old can handle 44 degrees just fine. I am glad that she enjoyed it!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:03 PM

walked today in 38 degree weather! jackets, etc and i wore her in the beco, no problems! DD loves it!:
Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
Your dh fussed about 44 degrees? I am from NE PA and don't consider wearing a jacket then! Thats sweatshirt weather! I took dd when she was 4 months old out in weather colder than that. And she actually stopped crying! (she was a very unhappy baby) My rule is that it has to be at or above 32 for a baby older than 3 months. I don't take younger babies out at 32, though. As long as you had your little one bundled up I don't see a problem. A 7 month old can handle 44 degrees just fine. I am glad that she enjoyed it!
Wow, even with that rule, we'd rarely get out during the winter if we followed it! I did stay in this weekend since it was 4 degrees, without wind chill, but in general, I get DD out for walks all the time, unless it's really nasty, freezing, or sleeting weather. Certainly in 15-20 degree weather if it's sunny. And 44 degrees? I wouldn't think twice! When it's pretty cold, I do bundle her up quite a bit, and then I put her in the ergo - I agree that my body warmth helps her keep warm. If it's particularly freezing, I'll put DH's warm coat on that's big enough for me to zip around her as well. For stroller outings, I think things like the BundleMe can help a lot with cold weather, in addition to dressing your baby warmly. But tell your DH that 44 degrees isn't even considered cold in many parts of the country! That would be balmy here right about now.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:02 PM

I worked in childcare and we were mandated to take the children outside twice a day unless the weather was colder then -15C (5F) that included babies as young as 6 weeks!

It is healthy for children to go outside and get fresh air.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 PM

I have trouble too and tried a few carrier; I finally wound up with the moby wrap. It's very wide so you can drape it over the shoulders on top and side of arms even when it's folded in half! It distributes weight rather nicely. I have two of them since one is always in the wash

see: http://www.theslingstation.com/moby.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanelles View Post
I'm a wannabe-baby-wearer...but I have shoulder problems and just haven't found a sling/wrap that allows me to carry her without a great amount of pain.

Still looking, though...I'd rather wear her than put her in a stroller any day.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaLeaf View Post
I have trouble too and tried a few carrier; I finally wound up with the moby wrap. It's very wide so you can drape it over the shoulders on top and side of arms even when it's folded in half! It distributes weight rather nicely. I have two of them since one is always in the wash

see: http://www.theslingstation.com/moby.html
Thanks, Tealeaf.

The Moby is the only one I haven't tried yet. Guess we'll be trying that when I get my tax refund.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:22 AM

living in nyc means we're out in all kinds of weather.

when it's really cold/windy/rainy, and i want to use the stroller, we use the plastic cover on it.

i know a lot of people aren't into plastic, but it keeps the kids warm & protected.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM

I think outside time is so important for everyone, even babies!

I know ppl in Quebec and Ontario who bundle their LOs up super warm then plop them in the snow bank for naps. haha, don't think I'd ever go that far but the cold air is soooo good for their lungs.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:14 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry abouot 44 degrees. I was thrilled last Friday when it went up to the 40's here! But I am really cold sensitive and worry kids might be too so I usually stay in if it's below 35 degrees! Unfortunately we don't get out much in the winter here
Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 AM

It was 0C (32F) here and I had Dd#2 (7mo) out for most of the day in a sling on my back. She slept most of the time. As long as they're well bundled and wearing a warm hat they're fine.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

User Tag List