Yogurt for 7 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm reading "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. It's got an amazing amount of info in it.

Just wondering about yogurt though. She says you should feed it to all babies over 6 months old, once a day. I'd heard you should hold off on milk products, but she says that what you shouldn't do is replace breastmilk or formula with cows milk. Giving babes milk products is OK.

I think my dd has an immature digestive system, although she seems to be handling her solid food OK. We've been taking it quite slow though. Should I hold off on giving her yogurt?
#2 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 09:13 AM

Just bumping you up because I am anxious to hear the replies on this one. I've been wondering the same thing, especially since I've cut out milk products in my own diet since breastfeeding.
#3 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 02:58 PM

I love super baby food and have really gotton a lot of use out of it. We have a dairy allergy in our family so I will not give ds any dairy until he is atleast one year old but probably much longer than that. As for yogurt you can buy soy yogurt. I just bought ds some last night to see if he likes it. I do not know how you would make it with soy. Whether you give your baby dairy or not is up to you.
#4 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 03:05 PM

I gave my daughter some yogurt around 7 mos old. While she seemed to digest well on the inside the yogurt gave her rash anywhere it landed on her body so we stopped giving it to her and will wait until she is a year old.
A friend of mine has been giving her daughter that very same yogurt from Super Babyfood since her daughter was 6 mis and she has had no adverse reactions

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#5 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 04:00 PM

I started giving dd yogurt at about 7 mo. only once or twice a week though. She loves it and is definatly what she will eat the most of in one sitting--that is only 1-2 Tbsp. though. She gets really excited about food but never eats much, I think she just likes to try it out. Anyway she has never had any negative reaction to the yogurt. I know some babes do though.
#6 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 05:03 PM

I have four kids, the first two did find with dairy products, but my third was lactose intolerant for the first three years of his life. So I have really been wanting to try some yogurt with the baby but am hesitant do to the history of lactose intolerance.

I didn't know they made soy yogurt. Is it sold in regular grocery stores?
#7 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 05:09 PM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#8 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, soyogurt is sold in most stores. I tasted it once...yuk. But then, maybe a baby would like it, not knowing any better.
#9 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 08:45 PM

The name brand of the soy yogurt I bought ds is called Silk. It was in the same section as the regular yogurt. It is a little more expensive than regular dairy yogurt. I think it was 66 cents. I bought it at Martin's grocery store which is owned by Giant. HTH
#10 of 11 Old 08-29-2003, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One thing to look out for: If you get flavored yogurts they are pretty much all sweetened. Mainstream brands with high fructose corn syrup (usually) and health store brands (like brown cow) with maple syrup or honey. Be sure you are careful about giving honey to babies under 1 y/o.
#11 of 11 Old 08-31-2003, 02:10 PM

i feed my dd yogurt now & then, too -- it's organic and specially made for babies (with microorganisms for a baby's digestive system), from stoneyfield (yo yo baby) -- it's so yummy i eat it and share it with her. a little at a time, a couple times per week.
(and i'm somewhat lactose intolerant and this is fine for both of us)

good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page