Any natural remedies for teething pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-29-2003, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 4 months and a half, she's been teething for a while now but hasn't cut yet. Sometimes she has very bad pain on her gums and I use a cold pacifier or cold teether (she doesn't like to grab the cold thing though). Dr. advised Orajel, but I don't want her to take any quemical remedies. My MIL recomended Whiskey... and I laughed.:
I'm not b/f because of medical reasons, so sometimes a hot bottle calms her down but of course she is not always hungry. Any advice? (In case you were wondering...I am a new mom )
#2 of 21 Old 08-29-2003, 03:11 PM

Have you tried really icy cold water in a bottle? We did that once for DS, who's bf'd and doesn't even take a bottle, and he acted like it was just exactly what he wanted. I wouldn't put much water in there, since too much water can be bad, but enough to numb her mouth a bit.

Actually, if you wanted her to just take a little bit, a sippy cup might be better in your case. She'll probably suck a bottle down quickly since that's what she's used to, but she might go a bit slower with a sippy cup if you don't use those yet.
#3 of 21 Old 08-29-2003, 03:57 PM

One thing that has worked wonders for my ds is a cold, wet washcloth. I take one of his thin, small washcloths and saturate it with water then put it in a baggie in the fridge. He loves to chew on it and suck on it.
#4 of 21 Old 08-29-2003, 08:47 PM

If you are into homeopathic remedies Hylands makes teething tablets. I found some at my regular grocery store.
#5 of 21 Old 08-30-2003, 12:35 AM
nic

We went through the same thing recently and I brought baby to a naturopath who specializes in homeopathy. We had already tried the hyland's teething tabs to little effect (though some people swear by them, I know). The doc prescribed a more effective and specific homeopathic remedy that worked like a charm - seriously, no more pain at all. Also, at the natural food store I got a product called gum-omile (cloves, chamomile are two of the ingredients) which is topical and seemed to bring temporary relief. Good luck! Hope she feels better soon.
#6 of 21 Old 08-30-2003, 04:08 AM

We are going through this right not with my nine month old. I hate giving drugs, but my hubby is on his way to the grocery right now. Nothing has worked(including teething tablets, which I swore by with my other two kids), he can't sleep, my nipples HURT because he keeps biting, and we are all tired! I will give him a dose tonight, and hopefully he will get a little sleep(us too). This tooth is almost through...hopefully tomorrow will be better.
So no advice here, just letting you know you are not alone!!
Hope she feels better soon!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#7 of 21 Old 08-30-2003, 03:49 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone with the early teething. The Hyland's don't seem to work that well for DS, either. It calms him for a few minutes, but then, lookout! It all seems to be worse at bedtime. (Ok, bedtime is a misnomer-- the time of night where we start "winding down" and hope DS follows!)

My ped-- who I'm really questioning lately-- told me it's highly unlikely DS is starting to teeth at three months, and it's probably something like an ear infection in the works. She is so wrong! He's my first child, and even I can tell it's teething-- the massive drooling, hand chewing, slight fever. Gah. Sorry to go OT.

I think I'm going to contact a naturopath / homeopath and see about a specific remedy.
#8 of 21 Old 08-30-2003, 04:34 PM

I used Orajel twice with my oldest, the second time was just to be sure the reaction I got the first time really was from the Orajel, it was We just about had to scrape her off the ceiling OH my goodness did it ever make her majorly hyper NEVER AGAIN

I am not going to even think about using it with any of our other children, present or future, just not worth removing kids from the rafters.

I use the Hylands tablets during the day but at night I really need sleep so I use childrens pain reliever. I really would like to find something more natural that would work at night.
#9 of 21 Old 08-30-2003, 08:11 PM
nic

hey islandmamma - my baby started teething at two months. Like you, no one wanted to believe it. The naturopath even was skeptical over the phone but then when she saw her exhibiting all the symptoms, she too was convinced. My MD ped was of no help, by the way. So much of the time I find that the MD's just say "oh well, it will pass. There's not much you can do. " My naturopath, however, was utterly confident that the remedy would work. And it did! (She, by the way, is not a big fan of Hyland's teething tabs).
#10 of 21 Old 08-30-2003, 09:04 PM

Hey nic, what was the remedy that your naturopath prescribed? Is it prescription only or can I get it at the health food store?

Hylands works for medium pain, but when it's big pain I sometimes have to resort to childrens' pain reliever (only 3-4 times, she's 10 months old with 8 teeth and the one year molars coming in!).

Islandmomma - she can definitely be teething, dd started at four months.
#11 of 21 Old 08-30-2003, 09:15 PM

camilla for babies helps with the fussiness. this can be useful in getting them to sleep. everyone and everything is better when baby is rested!
#12 of 21 Old 08-31-2003, 01:41 AM
nic

babybugmama

It was prescribed and I'm almost sure it cannot be bought at the natural food store. I plan on calling her this week on another matter and will ask if there is a way to get it without a prescription and will get back to you all on this thread.
#13 of 21 Old 08-31-2003, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice, I will try that Hyland thing and all the other remedies like the washcloth. My baby started teething when she was 2.5 mo, and of course is not so common but it happens.
nic, you mentioned:

Quote:
The doc prescribed a more effective and specific homeopathic remedy that worked like a charm - seriously, no more pain at all.
What was it?

I don't know when she will cut... I'm afraid of that day... does't it hurt so much??
#14 of 21 Old 08-31-2003, 08:06 AM

I like the Hyland's Teething gel. It does work much better that the tablets. My son started teething at two months and his first tooth came in at four months. Babies can have a first tooth by three months. Also, as weird as this may sound, babies can be born with teeth.
#15 of 21 Old 08-31-2003, 08:25 AM

My experience with dd's teeth was that as soon as the tooth broke the surface she had relief. I don't know if that's true for all babies or just her.

HTH and good luck. I'm dreading the one year molars, I've heard they're really bad.
#16 of 21 Old 09-01-2003, 12:43 AM

I second and third the Hyland Teething Tablets. I had to go to the hfs for them, my walmart doesn't have them.

My dd's favorite chewing object was a frozen wet washcloth. Makes a mess, but works like charm!

I bought ds a wooden teether from KiddinAround since I hated dd chewing on plastic.
#17 of 21 Old 08-04-2005, 04:19 PM

I won't use the Hylans because it's not vegan. The "remedies" like camomilla are made with milk sugar.

Cheers,

Beth
#18 of 21 Old 08-04-2005, 06:15 PM

ds started with incredible teething pain at 5 months. (had mild pain at 3-4 mos, finally cut the 2 bottom teeth at 5.5 mos, then had relief until the tops started coming down, too!)

all of these have worked to some degree:
-hyland's teething tabs (worked for mild pain)
-hyland's teething gel (mild-moderate pain)
-single homeopathic remedy, chamomilla (mil-mod, and works great when ds cannot sleep from the pain)
-single homeo. rem., belladonna (mod-severe)
-cold wascloth/cloth diaper edge (mild-mod pain)
-washcloth wrapped around ice chip to bite ice (mild-severe pain)
-clove oil (mild-mod pain)
-a thick walled glass filled with ice water - ds actually was always reaching for glasses of h2o, finally I set him on my lap and put the glass near his face, he grabbed it and bit down hard on the glass edge and tilted it with his hands. the icy water contacted his gums and gave relief! This works even when he is in a lot of pain!
-chewing on the end of a short wooden spoon - the handle is thick and flat, hard to describe, but it is safe, not pointy - it is a bamboo rice spoon.
-and lastly - the vibrating teether!!! this thing is great - ds has learned to bite down on it to activate the vibrate and it makes him smile/brings relief. Not keen on him chewing plastic, but he is binky and bottle free, so I figure his exposure is minimal. Look for one labelled PVC-free.

And I will add: I do give him ibuprofen from time to time. a 1/2 dose, cause sometimes nothing will do and I don't think there is anything natural about watching a little one suffer (but he does have much more severe teething pain, actually the worst I have ever seen). ps-tylenol doesn't work for him.

good luck!!!
#19 of 21 Old 08-05-2005, 03:19 AM

Homeopathic teething remedies generally come in multiple forms:
* Hylands makes tablets in a base of lactose (not vegan)
* Hylands makes a (vegan) gel in a vegetable glycerin base
* other companies make a (vegan) liquid in an alcohol base... The "teething and colic" formula by Newton Homeopathics is my favorite.
http://www.vitaminusa.com/07-88199-00026.html
Their line is called "Nothing But Natural for My Kid"

-- Caitlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof
I won't use the Hylans because it's not vegan. The "remedies" like camomilla are made with milk sugar.

Cheers,

Beth
#20 of 21 Old 08-05-2005, 03:59 AM

ditto on the hylands. I use the "power 3" when Katie gets really bad pain: hylands, gummomile oil and baby tylenol. Some moms don't use tylenol, but hylands and gummomile work well by themselves as well. oh and katie loves a wooden spoon. Sometimes I give her a large carrot (with close supervision) she likes the taste and it's nice and cold on her teeth.

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#21 of 21 Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 AM

I wish these homeopathic remedies were available in Canada BUT most are not My babe is in sooooo much teething pain

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page