Reflux vs Colic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We started off thinking our 4 week old baby had colic but when she started getting horse we found that this was a symptom of reflux, plus you can feel her chest make hiccup but there is no noise that comes from her mouth, it seems like a reflux reaction, or dr. disagrees, thinks its onlt colic. Any comments or advise for helping to cure this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
60% of all colic is actually reflux and most doctors are very ignorant of what reflux is.

Heidi
#3 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Check your library for Colic Solved by Bryan Vartabedian. He makes a case that colic is just a throw away term for symptoms that Dr's can't nail down to a reason, and that the symptoms are often really signs of milk/soy intolerance and/or reflux. This was certainly the case for us - my son suffered for 9 months before our Dr stopped insisting it was just colic and let us try Zantac. Vartabedian goes over all the symptoms of reflux, treatments, tests, etc. and is an EXCELLENT resource for talking to Dr's about this problem. Vartabedian also has a blog at http://parentingsolved.typepad.com/parenting_solved/

Also take a look at InfantReflux.org - http://www.infantreflux.org/ - and MARCI (Midwest Acid Reflux Childrens Institute) kids - http://www.marci-kids.com/

There are threads on the symptoms and treatments in the forum as well, if you do a search you'll find some good stuff.

HTH
#4 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 PM

Check out the links provided, for sure; and follow your instincts.

If you HAVE to stay with this doctor, and suspect that the reflux might be related to dairy and/or soy allergies via your diet, you may be able to address the reflux without meds. But, if you need meds, you will need to get your doctor to make a referral for you, or at least prescribe some meds (you'll need to be vigilant that he's not giving them at placebo levels).

Personally, having had a baby with severe reflux-- and multiple food allergies -- and a very educated and supportive Pediatrician who knows her stuff on both issues ---- if I were you, I'd start calling around to other Peds and see if you can find a more knowledgeable one.

Questions to ask:
1. Do you have a lactation consultant on staff? (What do you do if a mother is having breastfeeding difficulties? Did you/your wife breastfeed?)

2. What is your experience with reflux, infant food allergies, and MSPI (Milk Soy Protein Intolerance)?

If the doctor doesn't seem to be "up" on breastfeeding, s/he may not be supportive of that while trying to resolve the reflux (i.e. may try to treat it with formula, or thickened feeds etc.).

If the doctor doesn't seem to be "up" on reflux, and/or food allergies, then they may give you suspect advice on that front (i.e., suggest a lactose free formula while EPing to check for a cow's milk allergy - when really the solution is for mother to remove dairy entirely from HER diet and no need to EP and lactose free formula doesn't do anything for food allergic infants).

Not all who wander are lost.
#5 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 PM

Our son has silent reflux and an intolerance to formula (and maybe cow's milk protein in my milk). It got pretty scary with us - he would arch his back and refuse to nurse or take a bottle. He got to the point he was barely eating at all, before we got it worked out (our doctor wasn't very helpful). I wish I would have figured it out earlier cause he might have kept nursing, now I'm only pumping 2oz a day, and he's not interested in taking the breast at all. Now he's on Alimentum and Zantac and doing well. We didn't have any testing for reflux - I did an experiment and gave him gripe water with baking soda in it after meals, and it helped. Since baking soda is an antacid, I figured it was reflux. I had to give it to him after every single meal. I just took him in and said "I think he has reflux, he's not eating." He did not gain weight for a month, so the doctor handed over the script without fuss. The Zantac made him more comfortable, but he still was fussing, so on my own I decided to try hypoallergenic formula - that was the magic bullet. I've found that if I skip doses of Zantac though he fusses, so I think reflux is still a problem. Our baby would get hoarse - I don't know if it was so much the reflux or the fact that he cried so uncontrollably for so long. I knew it was pain and not just fussiness - you just know. Good luck as you figure it out!
#6 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:47 PM

Another non-believer in 'colic'. I hate that term. As a mom w/ 3 kids who have all had problems w/ milk, soy, and egg (at the least, the last 2 have more problems) and 2 of them had reflux on top of that, I have a hard time swallowing the thought that a baby will just cry for hours on end b/c they want to...

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 PM

You know the term colic in horses means "a bellyache of unknown origin that may or may not be *deadly*"!
#8 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM

I like Dr Harvey Karp's explanation of colic. He describes it as them simply not yet having the brain wiring to calm themselves. So, I feel comfortable calling THIS "colic". You can tell if your baby has this by trying the 5 S's in The Happiest Baby on the Block.

But if the word "colic" is reserved for THAT concept, then reflux should be called "reflux" and protein sensitivities should be called "protein sensitivities."

They shouldn't call everything "colic."

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#9 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Hi Michelle,

check this article out; it gave me the answer

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=18

They have more great articles; follow the lins w/in.
#10 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I like Dr Harvey Karp's explanation of colic...
Thank you for that perspective. I can see what you mean for the colic "concept", kind of like "high needs". Especially since I did find Karp's 5 S's immensely helpful sometimes, but sometimes even they didn't do it.

The problem is for many Dr's I think, including mine, that they seem to treat colic as if it's code for "over-sensitive mama".
#11 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM

I didn't go to the doctor for it. But my post partum doula said she didn't believe in colic and thought we had "New Parent Syndrome." She then lent us the DVD of The Happiest Baby on the Block. I've since come to understand that she meant that she didn't believe that "colic" is just gas like most people say. She DID believe in Dr. Karp's concept, though. And from her perspective, the root cause of "New Parent Syndrome" is not knowing the soothing tricks.

In addition to Dr Karp's "colic", we had a case of casein (dairy protein) sensitivity. His little body was so tense. I gave up dairy, and he became relaxed after a few days. I thought it was a coincidence, so I tried a piece of cheese, and the tension came back. When I tried dairy again when he was 4mos, the problem was gone.

#12 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM

In addition, I think that a constantly-screaming baby could make ANY mama over-sensitive.

#13 of 15 Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 PM

new parent syndrome - blah! - They acted like I was crazy with dd. She cried nonstop every day despite being swung, shushed, swaddled.... Still don't know what was wrong with her. Maybe she just didn't thrive on my milk. She was underweight and cheered up considerably when she started eating solids.

DS2 was crying inconsably when the physical therapist was here Tues. I swaddled him, and she thought maybe I didn't have the technique, so she was going to show me - he kicked off her knees and shot out of the blanket and across the floor. She handed him back to me and said she guessed I was doing about as much as anyone could! We're seeing a naturopath next week. Hopefully he can help us out. I'm so tired of listening to crying all day every day... :-(
#14 of 15 Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 PM

When is babe crying?

Is it associated with eating (during/after)?

Is babe arching her back when she cries?

Does babe clear her throat a lot?

Does she spit up a lot?

Does it happen at the same time of day every day? (This would be a symptom of colic.)

DD has reflux with really clear symptoms like the above. She didn't spit up much (silent reflux), but we could hear stuff gurgle up into her throat and her crying immediately after like it hurt.

I hope you get a good diagnosis - and a ped who will listen to your concerns with more empathy. I tend to believe that colic is just some yet undiagnosed problem. If they don't know what's wrong they call it colic and stop looking for an answer.
#15 of 15 Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Xoe

I realized my dd had reflux when i saw the videos on usamma's website. look for it. her daughter's situation was pretty dramatic-- but it helped me stick to my guns and get treatment for dd by 6 weeks of age. my dd2 has it also-- but it's "silent". I had her pegged by 5 days.

xoe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page