8 month old vomiting 2x day, should I be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8 month old had a definite stomach bug on Tuesday morning because she calmly (no projectile!) threw up after each feeding (didn't matter if it was solids or bottle). Took her to the doctor, and no other issues. Said that if she wasn't better in a few days, call. But by Thursday I was feeding her small meals and bottle again, but she was still vomiting (projectile this time). Today, she vomited twice! I can't tell if it's just vomiting from the bug because she is acting so normal. Also, her first tooth is just starting to pop through on top of it.

She is very happy and shows no other signs of being sick--except for some lingering diaper rash from a small diarrhea episode. One more thing, we noticed her left side of her abdomen seems really bloated after a meal.

Any thoughts? Remedies? Should we be worried? Is this just a phase? Any advice from other mommies would be great. Ever heard of using mint tea for the baby?? Would love to hear of any natural remedies.

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The main thing to watch for is dehydration. As long as she has wet diapers she should be fine. Normally you do not want to stop diarrhea and vomiting as it is getting the bug out of the system and doing a natural remedy or over the counter remedy will just prolong the illness. You said she was bottle fed. Is that with breast milk? If she is not getting breast milk you might consider pedialyte for a couple of days to get her stomach to settle down. There are organic ones out there.

Heidi
#3 of 7 Old 01-26-2008, 02:12 AM

We've just been through this and we had 2 days of puking and a couple of days of smooshy poops (not really diahrea). The advice I was given is that you don't give anything by mouth until they have gone an hour without vomiting. After that wait five or six hours (without vomiting) before giving any solids. After the first hour rehydration fluid can be given at a rate of 15 ml every 20 minutes for the first hour and then increasing that amount. I think you can bf on demand. I hope your little one feels better soon.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#4 of 7 Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 AM

I would go back to the doctor and point out the bloated area. Might be a bowel issue such as a mild obstruction. (This is not the happy fluffy line of thinking, but the paranoid mommy line of thinking here)
#5 of 7 Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
I would go back to the doctor and point out the bloated area. Might be a bowel issue such as a mild obstruction. (This is not the happy fluffy line of thinking, but the paranoid mommy line of thinking here)
I think I will call dr on monday, but she seems to be better today. No vomiting, although we basically wiped out solids from her diet for a few days. She also is drinking some pedialyte and apple juice.

Do you think probiotics help???
#6 of 7 Old 01-26-2008, 11:42 PM

When DS2 had a bug he was better after the 24 hours but he continued to throw up for 8 days. His little stomach just needed that long to recoup.
#7 of 7 Old 01-27-2008, 03:18 AM

I think the probiotics would be great. If she's perked up its probably all good. Just seemed odd to have one side pooking out. Is it still pooking or back to normal? My son had a "sluggish gut" that needed a good adjustment by an osteopath and if I recall through the haze (the "I've been up all night with a newborn for 2 weeks straight" haze) he got a little pooched out on his side, too. So there's another possibility. (I was in the "I'm in the third trimester and can't sleep yet I'll post rambly messages on the net" haze last night).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page