stinky ear in 6 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son has a stinky, slightly "oozy" ear, but no other signs of infection. The stuff that comes out isnt soft like regular wax...it is almost watery then dries to a yellow crust. Sorry to be so descriptive, I am just baffled because I have never seen this. He isn't in pain. I can gently tug on his ear without him reacting. Anyone have any ideas? I suppose its nothing to worry about...it's just weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you nurse laying down? Its prob yeast from BM...thats the stink. check behind his ears...just clean with a washcloth ad make sure you get the dry- towel then qtip all along the out ears- even behind- and carefully qtip his canal. I used to put a prefold under DS' head and my boob when laying down to nurse. Outer ear infections are very painful so I dont think its that. HTH...GL.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oooh that is probably it. We night nurse with him laying on the stinky side where the milk would pool. As I cleaned further in his ear (carefully of course) it was a white cheesy, toe jam substance...YEAST, right?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 AM

I have no idea, but I'm going to read your thread to see what others say. DD had a stinky ear once, and it got better on its own, but when I asked the doctor about it he just said maybe it was dirty!? No, it wasn't!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 AM

IME stinky but not painful ears have milk in them SOMEWHERE! LOL
Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 AM

sounds like yeast. DS had same thing and still gets it occassionally behind his ear lobes (I make too much milk, sometimes it gets messy Don't go crazy cleaning the ear canal- you don't want to irritate it. Just keep it dry- maybe switch sides at night. It you notice it behind the ears you can use monistat or antifungal cream on it but do not put this in the ear canal. GL
Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 AM

My dd had exactly this when she was about 4 or 5 months old... our dr said it was like swimmers ear because it was an ear infection but not behind the ear drum (an outer ear bacterial infection that is in the canal itself). We were prescribed some expensive drops that cleared it right up. I can't remember if they were steroid or abx drops but we got off easy considering the enormous batch of oral antibiotics that the on-call dr wanted to put her on but that's another story .

The oozing cleared up pretty fast, but her ears are naturally more 'stinky' compared to my other babies' ears.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM

drops are used for outer ear infections, which are typically very painful (ie can't touch the ear). Oral antibiotics are usually used for MIDDLE ear infections (behind the ear "drum") those are painful too as I know all too well myself. I just graduated med school...if shes not seeming bothered by it then its most likely yeast- in which case the drops they give you for typical out ear infxns will not help. It should clear with preventive measures.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 AM

DD had the same around 7 month. Our doctor said it was an infection in the channel.She'd give antibiotics but when I asked for another solution, she gave us drops and it cleared up pretty quickly.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Ds has had this several times. The first time both of his earlobes were crusty and smelled bad and I thought the same thing about it being bm or something. After a week of it not washing off and not getting better after oiling them, I took him to the dr. He never pulled on his ears or acted like anything was wrong until after the antibiotic drops started. It cleared up and now one side is crusty again. Dh and I both had chronic ear infections as infants and children, so I suppose part of it's heritary.

User Tag List