APRIL 2007 Mamas - It's February Already? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post

I'll get the recipe when I go back home--if I EVER go back home! Shea butter is just perfect.
Are you still in Howell? Still waiting on that babe?
#122 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiMom View Post
ugh, long night. Poor Scarlet was so feverish and in pain from teething, she hardly slept, or at least I hardly slept, as she was up at her usual time this morning. I finally put a cool washcloth on her head and back (she did NOT like) and it cooled her down enough to have her sleep without waking to cry every fifteen minutes. That was about 5am...

Today she has runny eyes and runny nose and will probably want to be held most of the day. And she hates having her nose wiped, poor little
dear.
poor scarlet!

Quote:
awwww... she's just helping you and your husband get some more alone time so she can have another sibling such a considerate babe

heehee

yeah thanks...there are about 6 pairs on that list that I'm pining for now

yay Liam!

We just got a sigg and handles and I think the top is too complicated, I can't even figure it out half the time. He likes it a lot and loves to shake it around and get little bit of water in his mouth here and there but it sure isn't providing any real independent hydration. He still uses a regular glass with help for actual drinking.

O neg here and yet I see no steak in my future : Good thing we love the :

that's right! ::

I'll get the recipe when I go back home--if I EVER go back home! Shea butter is just perfect.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#123 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
ugh, long night. Poor Scarlet was so feverish and in pain from teething, she hardly slept, or at least I hardly slept, as she was up at her usual time this morning. I finally put a cool washcloth on her head and back (she did NOT like) and it cooled her down enough to have her sleep without waking to cry every fifteen minutes. That was about 5am...

Today she has runny eyes and runny nose and will probably want to be held most of the day. And she hates having her nose wiped, poor little dear.
oh gosh! I'm so sorry. I hope you both get some rest soon.
Quote:
Are you still in Howell? Still waiting on that babe?
Yup, that little one is late for the party just like his/her mama usually is. We have learned to tell SIL to be somewhere 3-4 hours before we actually want her there and she still strolls in a few minutes late.
#124 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post
Yay, Liam for pooping in the potty!!

Speaking of....I am a failure at EC'ing. (as well as CD'ing LOL) Scout pooped in the potty all the time from about 3 months to 6 months and then her poops got a lot more unpredictable, but I was still catching some. Now, we are catching NO poops at all because she HATES sitting on the potty. :

i am too! well just the EC part... from 2 weeks till 4 months she pooped and peed on it all the time! then she stopped pooping on it and hasn't since! but she will still pee for me some times...

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#125 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh gosh! I'm so sorry. I hope you both get some rest soon.

Yup, that little one is late for the party just like his/her mama usually is. We have learned to tell SIL to be somewhere 3-4 hours before we actually want her there and she still strolls in a few minutes late.
Thanks. It is so generous of you to give up your home. , I have a cousin like that, hard to invite to surprise parties!
#126 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Kewpie we are failures at EC too I am just too lazy...plus Johnny kept sitting on his potty for like 10mins without going and then standing up and peeing the floor.

So my psychiatrist is pressuring me to wean and my hubby agrees I'm trying to just say I'm "working on it" so I can get away with nursing him longer...I really wanted to at least nurse 1yr preferably 2yrs. The thing is he says I will get more sleep because my hubby can do nighttime feedings, but I already supplement for one of the feeds at night and my DH doesn't even take that one...I'm the one who gets up and gets the bottle and everything, so I would actually lose even MORE sleep if I wean...argh. I'm so frustrated!!!

Ok..totally forgot what else we were talking about lol...I guess I'll write more later.
#127 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
Kewpie we are failures at EC too I am just too lazy...plus Johnny kept sitting on his potty for like 10mins without going and then standing up and peeing the floor.

So my psychiatrist is pressuring me to wean and my hubby agrees I'm trying to just say I'm "working on it" so I can get away with nursing him longer...I really wanted to at least nurse 1yr preferably 2yrs. The thing is he says I will get more sleep because my hubby can do nighttime feedings, but I already supplement for one of the feeds at night and my DH doesn't even take that one...I'm the one who gets up and gets the bottle and everything, so I would actually lose even MORE sleep if I wean...argh. I'm so frustrated!!!

Ok..totally forgot what else we were talking about lol...I guess I'll write more later.
oh mama! why don't you start with your dh doing the supplement feeding that you already do at night--that would add a lot of sleep to your night! do you cosleep?? just wondering b/c i've found it to help sooo much with sleep--i don't even really have to wake to nurse. (**this is not true for everyone--but thought i'd share) it does seem like it would be sooo much less sleep for you at night, if you are the one to have to make the bottles for the baby-- you have to do what is right FOR YOU no matter what!!

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#128 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Sophia likes carrots. Not peaches. Definitely not peaches. And she will only eat the diced carrots if I spoon feed them into her mouth. She won't pick them up.

Silly girl.

LilMomma83: your dh needs to do the bottle. I had a friend who had post partum depression (actually had visions that she hurt her baby). Her psychiatrist actually wrote a prescription that said she had to get 6 hours of sleep in a row at night. She made that a priority and her mom and DH took over during that time. She said she could really tell the difference if she missed a night of full sleep.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#129 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post

Funny about the baby books- I don't even have one for Eva.

A
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one without a baby book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
I also have a size Large Oh Naturel fitted I'll be listing as well. Romi doesn't fit well into side snapping diapers...

Oh and if anyone needs more Bummis second, I have a spare pink Superbrite and a Blue (space print) BSWW (both mediums) that I bought on a whim and I don't need. Never used them.
I may be interested in the side snapping dipe...they are perfect on Arlo's skinny legs. Do you have a pic?:

Quote:
hee hee - just noticed that I typed "pooping in" instead of "popping in" in my above post

tabrizia - wow - i had no idea those bulbs have mercury in them. Good to know, since that's what we've been buying lately. Thanks for the heads up!

Well, I just totally traumatized Scout. The weather is gorgeous here today, so I thought I'd take her for a walk. I got out the stroller and put her in it and she screamed like someone was killing her!!! I just didn't feel like toting her in the sling, and she usually enjoys riding in the shopping cart, so I figured she might have fun in the stroller. I guess I hadn't really thought about it, but she was 6 months old the last time she rode in it...and she wasn't super crazy about it back then. (although she tolerated and did NOT scream like this!)

I took her out and turned the seat so it would face me - I thought that might help. Nope - still upset, but not as bad. I gave her my keys to play with (which I have never done before 'cause that kind of grosses me out) and that made her happy for a little while, so I started to walk around the block with her. She would forget that she was upset and actually began to enjoy the ride. But then she remembered that she was unhappy and started fussing a little. I turned around to go back home and just then, a stupid freakin' fire engine with its siren blazing whizzed down the road, and I had to practically run to get out of its way. I was able to cover Scout's ears before it passed us, but the whole incident freaked Scout out even more and she was SHAKING, she was so terrified. I quickly picked her up and carried her home while wheeling the stroller with the other hand.

Note to self - just use the sling or ergo when going out for a walk.
It's funny, Arlo doesn't really like the stroller either. Finn loved it, still does, but I think I am destined to carry Arlo for a long time yet!
And poor Scout and Seamus and their traumatizing stroller mishaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post

Liam pooped in the potty tonight, the first time EVER!!! He's fine with pee, but he'd hold in the poop for a few days then cry and hide to poop in his pant It had been 4 poopless days tonight and he was complaining that he was in pain, and I got him (ok, after 30 minutes of encouragement) to finally do it in the potty!! Hurray!!! Such small sweet victories... :
Aah, finn is the same! No problems peeing but he'll hold a poop forever...what is it that makes them do that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
OH- I wanted to ask, has anyone introduced a sippy yet? Evangeline has been drinking out of a glass, but I just ordered a SIGG and a kleen kanteen. (one for Axel).
And doudat- I might be interested in that pink cover.
A
Arlo loves Finn's sigg, it has some kind of sport top on it. He also loves sippy cups. He actually seems to really love water, I'm thinking of getting him the KK.

Quote:
same
our unbelievable cute tiny glass potty with the puppy on it was most recently used to catch my brother in law's vomit
ewwwwww!

Quote:

mama. Like kris said, you need to do what's best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
Sophia likes carrots. Not peaches. Definitely not peaches. And she will only eat the diced carrots if I spoon feed them into her mouth. She won't pick them up.

Silly girl.

LilMomma83: your dh needs to do the bottle. I had a friend who had post partum depression (actually had visions that she hurt her baby). Her psychiatrist actually wrote a prescription that said she had to get 6 hours of sleep in a row at night. She made that a priority and her mom and DH took over during that time. She said she could really tell the difference if she missed a night of full sleep.
Ita, I had been feeling really good and like my ppd was under control, but lately, with the lack of sleep, it's creeping up on me again. As soon as dp has a few nights off, I'm definitely going to sleep in another room and let him deal with Arlo because I really need some consecutive hours of sleep for my sanity!

A

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#130 of 717 Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Sounds like me! I prefer to think we're eternal optimists- 'I have tons of time, I should just brush my teeth'. My mom says I was 'born late'!

Quote:
\So my psychiatrist is pressuring me to wean and my hubby agrees I'm trying to just say I'm "working on it" so I can get away with nursing him longer...I really wanted to at least nurse 1yr preferably 2yrs. The thing is he says I will get more sleep because my hubby can do nighttime feedings, but I already supplement for one of the feeds at night and my DH doesn't even take that one...I'm the one who gets up and gets the bottle and everything, so I would actually lose even MORE sleep if I wean...argh. I'm so frustrated!!!

Oh hon! I don't know, I think that there are certainly steps to be taking before weaning! Like others said- dh taking that night feeding, and then eventually maybe night-weaning. And I agree with kris- getting up to nurse SUCKS (since I moved her downstairs!) and nursing is bed is so much more pleasant- certainly if that is workable that's preferrable.
I hope you get more sleep- I know we're all getting a bit desperate.

A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#131 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 AM

Amanda, I just checked out your artwork. It's amazing!

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
#132 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 AM

not nursing at night doesn't mean you can't nurse at all!! you can let Dh take nights and you sleep and nurse during the day! we only have 3 months till they are one! and with all that you went thru with getting to nurse and not be painful you need to keep going!!! i say let your dh feed him at night and you sleep and nurse during the day!
i am sorry your feeling so bad!... another thought honestly i wouldn't go to a dr that told me i HAD to wean, i'd find another... but thats me and NOT breastfeeding isn't exceptable for me.. i totally wouldn't know what to do if i could just shove my boob in my babys mouth!
i hope you come to LLL tomorrow!

Quote:

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#133 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 11:54 AM

my sister's apartment building (beautiful old building in detroit with 80+ apartments) just burned for the past 6 hours. the roof and 4th floor are gone. she was on the 2nd floor but has no idea if she can ever even get back in. she just moved there in dec and brought with her most of her stuff including many of her things from her travels (she has spent many months in the middleeast, germany, egypt)... soo sad. she doesn't even have her glasses or computer. many of the people living there are grad students at wayne state. just keep her and all of the other families/students/people in your thoughts.

they think it was started by an evicted tenant who died in the fire.

#134 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 PM

I often wear DS, but sometimes I want to have the freedom of shopping, so I take the stroller. Yesterday was one of those days. (Okay, the truth of the matter is that I was willing to carry water *or* coffee in my diaper bag, not both. And I wanted both.)

I'm not supposed to break a sweat in February. I live in USDA zone 6b/7a, roughly . . . and it was balmy yesterday. Pushing a 20 pound baby in a stroller up our steep hills? Ooof.

Today's supposed to be another warm one. It was in the 60s at 8am. :

I want winter back.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#135 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
my sister's apartment building (beautiful old building in detroit with 80+ apartments) just burned for the past 6 hours. the roof and 4th floor are gone. she was on the 2nd floor but has no idea if she can ever even get back in. she just moved there in dec and brought with her most of her stuff including many of her things from her travels (she has spent many months in the middleeast, germany, egypt)... soo sad. she doesn't even have her glasses or computer. many of the people living there are grad students at wayne state. just keep her and all of the other families/students/people in your thoughts.

Is there anything I can do for her? I don't have money but maybe I can put together some basic needs?
#136 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Wow - that is awful!!! so the evicted tenant started it on purpose? What a senseless death. Was anyone else hurt in the fire? What a rough time for your sister - it would be so hard and frustrating to not be able to go in and get her belongings or at least see if they are okay.

Quote:

#137 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:

That's terrible! I can't even imagine. Let me know if there's anything I can send your sister. Really.

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
#138 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

nak

how awful!
i hope your sis is ok and at least able to retrieve some of her things.

Where the heck is the fire department, six hours! Aaargh, Detroit. It is so sad to see what once was a vibrant city decimated. Even the nice enclaves left are not exempt. My dad took a drive through his old neighborhood a few months ago and was so upset to see what has become of it.
#139 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Scarlet's cold seems to have subsided. She was so runny eyed and sneezey yesterday. I must say that the Hylands c plus cold tablets really helped. I did give her a small dose of Motrin last night, too. I wanted her to sleep! Now she's just drooling like mad and making herself gag while chewing on her fingers - must be reaching back too far.
#140 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of Detroit.... it does share a border with Canada. Perhaps there is a possibility of taking a drive to meet up with some of you??? I'm trying to plan a trip for March, but need to convince my dh that I can go without him. I love him dearly, but he hates to fly, so that just adds another dimension to the trip.
#141 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Detroit.... it does share a border with Canada. Perhaps there is a possibility of taking a drive to meet up with some of you??? I'm trying to plan a trip for March, but need to convince my dh that I can go without him. I love him dearly, but he hates to fly, so that just adds another dimension to the trip.
I'll be there if my hubby isn't working or if I can figure public transit
#142 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll be there if my hubby isn't working or if I can figure public transit
Cool! By the way, I love the picture of Ion with Gramma. He looks so placid and content. Definitely an
old soul.
#143 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
nak

how awful!
i hope your sis is ok and at least able to retrieve some of her things.

Where the heck is the fire department, six hours! Aaargh, Detroit. It is so sad to see what once was a vibrant city decimated. Even the nice enclaves left are not exempt. My dad took a drive through his old neighborhood a few months ago and was so upset to see what has become of it.
they were there--there was 12 fire trucks there for 6 hours!! every firehouse in detroit was used. the alarms didn't go off so the manager went door to door to make sure everyone got out! it was a level 5 fire which i guess is one of the worst!

#144 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Is there anything I can do for her? I don't have money but maybe I can put together some basic needs?
thanks so much! i let her know and will keep you posted

#145 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
they were there--there was 12 fire trucks there for 6 hours!! every firehouse in detroit was used. the alarms didn't go off so the manager went door to door to make sure everyone got out! it was a level 5 fire which i guess is one of the worst!
man!
#146 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Wow - that is awful!!! so the evicted tenant started it on purpose? What a senseless death. Was anyone else hurt in the fire? What a rough time for your sister - it would be so hard and frustrating to not be able to go in and get her belongings or at least see if they are okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabelly View Post
That's terrible! I can't even imagine. Let me know if there's anything I can send your sister. Really.
thanks everyone. she will hopefully be able to get in...but the building will have to be destroyed and she has no idea what all of the now homeless people will do.

#147 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
thanks so much! i let her know and will keep you posted
Have her make a list or something if she needs stuff. My FIL who I'm staying with works in Detroit so it's really easy for us. Does she have a reasonable place to go?
#148 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 05:22 PM

KrisMarie- that's awful, I hope everything works out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I think we might try the night weaning, I talked to my DH about it today..

Ultimateserj- I was totally going to "tattle" on you for using your stroller today but I suppose I was "guilty of the same crime"

It's so nice and warm here today!!!!
#149 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 PM

hey everyone-- thanks again. her boyfriend has an apartment in detroit also. and my parents drove across the state to help her. she will be able to get into the apartment on friday but i guess there is more than a foot of water in her room (on the 2nd floor!) i just feel so bad for all of the families and people who lost everything. they have confirmed that it was a suicide of the evicted guy--and it just got out of control fast.

her request...this sounds funny but she collects postcards and letters (has her whole life) and lost all of them. she told me to tell you all that what she would love is to have your kids draw a picture or find a quirky or unusual postcard and send it to her. i think it's those sentimental-type things that she is going to have a really hard time with--i can't imagine.

my sil and i have rounded up a lot of clothes and my parents are going to help her get new glasses (she can't really see without them)

em jacoby
c/o brian klassen
5200 Anthony Wayne Drive
Apt 604
Detroit MI 48202

you are all so sweet!

lilmomma-i'm glad you are going to try nightweaning first... when i read that suggestion i was like i hope that is goes smoothly for you!

#150 of 717 Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM

Kris-we will send something! I can only imagine how heartbreaking this must be!

lilmomma-I have to admit that I am night-weaning too...due to PPD. I know we aren't supposed to talk about that kind of thing around here. But in some cases, it really is better for the baby! An unhealthy mama can lead to an unhappy babe! My mom brought that to my attention w Andy at around this age. I was SO adamant about co-sleeping, but was so sleep-deprived. Another thing someone suggested was getting snatches of sleep whenever possible. I sleep in till DH leaves for school-he gets up w kids at 6. It is SO very hard!!! I know you will find what works best for you! I think night-weaning w the support of DH is pretty easy. Everyone tells me that he is old enought to go through the night w/o feeding, so DH doesn't do a bottle. Noah wouldn't drink it anyway!

I have been sleeping w Noah this week bc he has a very bad cold. and is EBFing! All night long! Dh can't seem to soothe him, either.

On a happier note, I enrolled Andy in a Lutheran Preschool just 5 blocks from us! YEA!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page