First babe in our 30s February thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the February thread!

This thread is for anyone who waited until they were 30+ to have their first baby.

*Notice* In order to keep the members list manageable, members who do not post in February will be deleted in March. We will happily add anyone again at any time.

CURRENT MEMBERS
acp (Amanda) 32 : Willa born June 15, 2007
Amberella : Nathaniel John born September 30, 2007
AnamCara (Kerensa) 34 : born March 01, 2007
angelcat (Beckie) : Rachel, born June 27, 2005
AnnD (Ann) 36 mama to 4 babes born in her 30s!
Her youngest is : Sean born June 13, 2007
ATD Mom 32 : Alasdair William born Sept. 16, 2007
BeagleMommy (Susan) 34 : Ruth Evelyn born January 11, 2007
beckyphry (Becky) 32 : Maya Rose born Sept. 7, 2007
Clarissa1973 (Clarissa) 34 : Elias Nathaniel born July 23, 2007
cmu204 (Cher) 34 : Baby Z born December 10, 2007
cornpicker 33 : Jonah Harrison Aug. 15, 2007
dctexan (Emily) 34 : Benjamin born Sept. 1, 2007
didkisa (Colleen) 34 : Miranda Ann born March 27, 2007
dionnakay(Dionna) : Kieran born December 11, 2007
Down to Earth (Laura) 30 : Elizabeth Grace born Sept. 18, 2007
edenluna (Eden) 36 : Ruby born August 02, 2007
elsa1975 (Isil) 32 : Defne born January 03, 2007
eri_flores (Erianna) : 31 Ariel Efrain born Aug. 10, 2007
farmama : Natalina born July 17, 2007
Frannyo 39 : Maggie born March 09, 2007
Grace24 (Julia) 36 : Oliver Roland born November 24, 2007
granolalight (Becky) mama to 2 babes born in her 30s!
Her youngest is : Eli born December 02, 2006
greengrey (Alex) 30 : Layla born Aug. 25, 2007
hazieluna (Natalia) 36 : Aidan Sebastian born Sept. 15, 2007
jaxensmommy (Jeri) 36 : Jaxen born September 29, 2006
jessma (Jessma) 36 : Lennox Matthew born May 22, 2007
jocelyndale (Jocelyn) 31 : Ronan born April 21, 2007
jpiper0430 (Jenn) 31 : Eleanor Diane born October 10, 2007
K9sarchik (Laura) 38 : Gavin Rutgar born Sept 20, 2007
kdtmom2be (Kristen) 31 : Kayleigh born May 05, 2007
kelluna 32 : born Aug. 16, 2007
MajorGroover (Dee) 32 : Mathilde born November 10, 2007
Mama2Bean 36 : born November 30, 2006
Maxzen 33 : born November 2007
merliss (Gena) 32 : Grayce born April 02, 2007
mf_colon (Marie) 31 : Arayna born February 6, 2007
~minnow~ (Lane) 31 : Adelaide Beatrix born Sept. 20, 2007
MommyMichele (Michele) 35 mama to one babe born just shy of 30 and two other babes born in her 30s.
Her youngest is : Ian born November 06, 2006
momofsage(Jen) 40 : Sage born May 10, 2005
mom to B 31 : Bryson born July 25, 2007
MummaLitt (Allyson) 30 : Ethan born January 13, 2008
mummytastic (Julie) 35 mama to 2 babes born whiles in her 30s!
Her youngest was born April 2007
nikkihoi 37 : Marshall born Aug. 4, 2007
nylecoj (Jocelyn) 32 : born December 12, 2006
pacificbliss (Dawn) 33 : born December 30, 2006
peacelovingmama (Kate) 37 mama to 3 babes born while in her 30s!
Her youngest is : Grahame Charlotte born April 09, 2007
PiePie 36 : Lorelei Siobhan born Aug. 16, 2007
plummum 36 : Sinead Summer born Sept. 3, 2007
pokeymama 35 : John born August 22, 2007
preeniemamarach (Rachel) 35 : born July 07,2007
Pumpkin Pie (Kim) 33 : born April 2007
~PurityLake~ (Katreena) 33 mama of two babes borns in her 30s!
Her youngest : Sophia was born Aug 22, 2006
rock dr (CJ) : Gabriella born June 05, 2007
samstress (Sam) : Tess born April 8, 2007
SarahJen (Sarah) : Aveline Paige born January 3rd, 2008
serenitii (Melissa) 34 : Logan born March 29, 2007
stickywicket67 (Rachel) 39 : Tobias Jude born on September 13, 2007
timneh mom (Liz) 39 momma to 2 babies born in her 30s!
Her youngest is : Sophie born February 19, 2007
veganone (Elizabeth) 35 : Isabella Lourdes Sofia born Sept. 3, 2007
Xenon : Ticho born January 8, 2008

Although many of us have followed each other from the TTC and pregnancy forums, newcomers are welcome and encouraged to join in any time! If you are new, please introduce yourself by stating as much info as you feel comfortable sharing such as your name & age as well as your baby's info (name, sex, DOB, etc.).

Here's the TTC#1 in our 30s February thread.

And the Pregnant with #1 in our 30s February thread.
#2 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Okay - it's up!!! I need to run out for a few, so I'll add in the link to the Feb ppg thread when I get back!!!
#3 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Woooohoooo! Looks awesome Elizabeth
#4 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Yahoo!

Now, dumb question.

How do you guys decide who does it every month? Or have you just been taking initiative and doing it without discussing first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post

Jocelyn, yay for a lot of albums. I love finally seeing Sofie (right?) and it's also awesome to see her from birth to age one. She's SO cute and I think she looks like both of you. I confess, though, I remember you describing her as CrazyBaby so as I gazed at her in that little santa hat I was all trying to divine the crazy within.
Oh she's crazy alright. Just darn cute to offset it!

We posted some snow pics for those interested.
#5 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Jocelyn - Usually someone asks who wants to do it and/or someone volunteers. I think CJ was super on top of it and started the Jan one early and just let us all know it was there!

Yes, Sofia is adorable. Reall, really cute. And charming too! Those are really awesome photos.

How are you feeling? Did you end up doing abx or did you just start feeling better once the plug got cleared out?

Got video of Isabella's first official thumb sucking this morning! I hope she transitions to that from the pacifier!

The new nanny trial morning went great! NO crying from either babe - they had a nice, long walk around the neighborhood with her dd on her back and Isabella on her front. (It's nice today.) Isabella gave her DD a huge grin as they were getting ready to leave, which I take as a good sign! And she cleaned the kitchen!
#6 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
And she cleaned the kitchen!
Oh god. I am so jealous of this. Our house should probably be condemned (at least the roomba functions as dustbunny birth control)
#7 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks Elizabeth for the Feb Thread!!! Btw you seemed to have lucked out with your Nanny! Can she come over and clean my kitchen? Gosh my house is in desperate need of some attention. Does anyone else have a hard time putting things back in their place? I guess since I'm the only one who seems to know that things have a place that is not just on a table or on the couch.....

Btw here's a pic of Aidan
#8 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 PM

thanks Elizabeth - it took me awhile to figure out how to start it too. So glad the nanny trial went well!

ok so I am still superstitious about this but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that E. went from being up to eat EVERY 2 hours for 7.5 months straight... to sleeping 8 pm till at least 3:30 am (sometimes till 4 or 5! once till 6!).

we moved her to the crib in her room, and dh spent the first night in there with her b/c she did wake up, but he was able to settle her with no crying. Removing the 24 hour Breastaurant from such close proximity appeared to be the key.
#9 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 PM

Question: Are you guys keeping 'baby stuff' around after your lo outgrows it? Like even if you think you might ttc again in the next 1-3 years? We're done with the cosleeper and the papasan swing chair. They take up alot of space (and as you know I hate clutter). But I also hate to give them away just to have to buy one later...
#10 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 PM

I've got a 3 year old and an almost 1 year old, but I was 35 when I had my first. Will was born November 11, 2004 and Sophie, February 19, 2007. We were just not ready until then! Actually, I was not ready til I married DH.
#11 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Oh god. I am so jealous of this. Our house should probably be condemned (at least the roomba functions as dustbunny birth control)
I want a roomba!!! I'm so jealous. I'm sure that we would kill it with the amount of dog hair it would find...
#12 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post

ok so I am still superstitious about this but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that E. went from being up to eat EVERY 2 hours for 7.5 months straight... to sleeping 8 pm till at least 3:30 am (sometimes till 4 or 5! once till 6!).
Now I'm really jealous! No, really I'm happy for you. I'm so not ready to part with cosleeping. I cuddling with her all night, even if it means less sleep. I'm sure at some point that will change...

Quote:
Question: Are you guys keeping 'baby stuff' around after your lo outgrows it? Like even if you think you might ttc again in the next 1-3 years? We're done with the cosleeper and the papasan swing chair. They take up alot of space (and as you know I hate clutter). But I also hate to give them away just to have to buy one later...
We are, but only the stuff we really like. I have a huge give away pile already. Same with my maternity stuff - I can't make myself get rid of it just in case... I borrowed the swing, but I don't know what I'll do with the bouncy seat, etc... Generally, we get rid of stuff and buy new just because we have so little space that I'd rather spend the money than give up the storage space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
I've got a 3 year old and an almost 1 year old, but I was 35 when I had my first. Will was born November 11, 2004 and Sophie, February 19, 2007. We were just not ready until then! Actually, I was not ready til I married DH.
Welcome! I'll add you to the member list!
#13 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 09:15 PM

So I have suggestion - the intro post to this thread is getting really long. While I love and appreciate that there are so many 30 something first time mamas, not all of them post here. Soooo to help consolidate things, how about if we institute a policy whereby if you haven't posted in the thread for 2 months or so, you are removed from the list. Removal from the list isn't kicking people out and mama's can always speak up (or PM the threadkeeper if they wish to continue to lurk) if they want to be added back on. I just feel like part of what I love about this thread is knowing people's names (and their kiddos names) and the longer the list of people, the harder this is to do. What does everyone else think?
#14 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 PM
acp

Emily, I think that seems reasonable. I agree that it's long, and some folks on it aren't following the thread anymore (i don't think).

CJ: Congrats on the sleep! That's awesome. Honestly, while there's a piece of me that's sad we aren't cosleeping, I think in the end having Willa in her room was the right decision for us too, just in that all three of us get more sleep. Not to say that cosleeping isn't the right decision for so many other mamas, but we all (including Willa) just seem to do better in our own space. Willa's been up a lot this week with the fever, but last night she was back to a more typical night, and I just got up once - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that holds true tonight. Today's the first day she really has seemed like herself again. She and DH are taking a bath together right now - I can hear her happily (and loudly!) babbling away...

As for baby stuff, I borrowed all the big stuff (infant car seat, jumperoo, moses basket, exersaucer, bouncy seat, swing, most of my maternity clothes, etc), so I'm gradually giving that back as Willa is done with it. I'm thrilled to get the space back, and since we're in a condo, we don't have tons of extra storage space. But I do think I'll hang onto things like her playmat/gym, and clothes she's grown out of, and the my brest friend, since we're planning to have another baby. And most of that stuff doesn't take up much space, which is nice.
If I owned the big stuff I'd be torn - I wouldn't want to have to buy it again, but I also wouldn't want to have to store it for 2-4 years. I figure next time if I can't borrow the stuff I need, I can look for most of it on Craig's list or similar places, and probably get it really cheap. After all, there have to be a ton of mamas getting rid of it all. Some of that stuff seems so important for a few months, but its lifespan is pretty short... I also think next time I'll have a better idea of what I actually *need* and what is more extraneous.

Oh, I think they're getting out of the bath... my boobs are needed!
#15 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post

Yes, Sofia is adorable. Reall, really cute. And charming too! Those are really awesome photos.

How are you feeling? Did you end up doing abx or did you just start feeling better once the plug got cleared out?
Thanks. She's a ham, for sure.

I did go on antibiotics and while it's a very low grade infection, it's also very stubborn. I'm still sore in my lymph nodes but getting a bit better every day. Thanks for asking!
Quote:
The new nanny trial morning went great! NO crying from either babe - they had a nice, long walk around the neighborhood with her dd on her back and Isabella on her front. (It's nice today.) Isabella gave her DD a huge grin as they were getting ready to leave, which I take as a good sign! And she cleaned the kitchen!
Woo nanny!

Quote:
Yes, everything we paid for we are keeping a while, although I've tried to loan it out to friends where possible. I hate clutter too, so I avoid the garage.

Can't wait to have #2 just to get rid of all that baby stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
Welcome!

Happy Friday everyone!

We ski tomorrow. Yay for skiing. Twice this season so far and I have at least two more trips scheduled hopefully for this month! Woooooo!

Can't wait to get little booger on skis.
#16 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Emily - I like that idea. Wish we'd thought of it yesterday!

Any ideas on who to remove? I don't necessarily want to go back and see who's posted!

Maybe I'll do a list of folks to possibly remove and if none of them let me know in the next week or so that they want to stay on I'll remove them then.

Does that make sense?
#17 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
really enjoyed finally finding out what baby Z's name really is! Zora is very, very nice... might put it on my list if you don't mind another one across the world somewhere?
The more the merrier, I say. If our next kid is a girl, I totally want to name her after Julia!

Add us to the list of scary, dog-hair covered houses. Sigh. Someday, baby will be mellow enough to put down once in a while (she's been super glued to me for the last three days) and I might manage to do more than make the occasional meal!

Cher
mama to baby Z (12.10.07), loving aunt to N (9) and T (6)
wife to the sweetest Code Monkey on the planet
#18 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
So I have suggestion - the intro post to this thread is getting really long. While I love and appreciate that there are so many 30 something first time mamas, not all of them post here. Soooo to help consolidate things, how about if we institute a policy whereby if you haven't posted in the thread for 2 months or so, you are removed from the list. Removal from the list isn't kicking people out and mama's can always speak up (or PM the threadkeeper if they wish to continue to lurk) if they want to be added back on. I just feel like part of what I love about this thread is knowing people's names (and their kiddos names) and the longer the list of people, the harder this is to do. What does everyone else think?
good suggestion - ITA!
we might want to re-arrange too, alphabetical by username? (E. I can help with that part, or we can wait till next month if people want to do it )
#19 of 500 Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 PM

Hi all!

My name is Marie and I just gave birth to my first child February 6, 2007, almost a year ago.

I had just turned 30 about a week before I gave birth to my daughter.

Nice meeting everyone!
#20 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 12:37 AM

WRT the idea about narrowing down the names - what about making some kind of general announcement - "your name will only be on march's list if you post in february." ? then the threadkeeper (ha - reminds me of ghostbusters) can keep track of feb.'s posters.
just a thought

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#21 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
We're so lazy we don't even use the Roomba.

And DH wants to fire the maids and take over cleaning the house! :!!!!
#22 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmu204 View Post
The more the merrier, I say. If our next kid is a girl, I totally want to name her after Julia!
#23 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I've kept very little of Rachel's stuff. I don't have a lot of space, and I seriously doubt I'll ever have another child. I very very very much want to, but I'm still single, and odds of me finding Mr. Right aren't great.

I did keep a few newborn clothes and a couple other special outfits. I gave away all my maternity stuff, except for the bathing suit. Not sure why I still have that.
#24 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 01:17 AM

Liz and Marie!

Natalia... Aidan is gorgeous! Thx to all who have shared their baby pics. I love that we do that from time to time. I'm always up for seeing y'all's LO's.

CJ... OMG I'm so happy for you! Breastaurant, ain't that the truth! Moving Ollie to his own bed/room seemed to be the key for us too. He slept in our bed for a month cuz he slept best there for awhile, until it was clear that no-one was getting sleep anymore. There was about a week where he'd still wake up a couple times a night, but just the fact that I could take care of him/nurse him in his room and come back to my own bed and space made me so calm about the night wakings. A week later we had our first 7 hour stretch, and except for the occasional night here and there (like last night) it's continued.

Long week. Both of us working now and trying not to have to pay for sitters if we don't have to, so we're exhausted. But it's been great working again. Now I have nine days off before the next 5-day stretch of crazy busy times. (I know, my schedule is really weird). I'm looking forward to 9 days without him having to get formula. I still feel so weird about that, even though I know I didn't have a choice... this boy eats so much! On days when I watch him all day and then go to work and there's only one intermission which is barely 20 minutes long, I can only pump about an ounce or two, and he'll take 10 oz. while I"m gone. So I know I had no choice, and he still gets plenty of boobie juice, but the perfectionist in me didn't want formula to ever touch his lips. I've GOT to let up on myself. Why do we moms have to do everything JUST RIGHT or is it just me?

As for baby stuff, I plan to hang on to everything we use because we'll likely do this again in a couple years. At least one more time. (Maybe twice ) Not a lot of storage room but that never stopped us from keeping too much clutter around!
#25 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 AM

Angelcat, where did you get a maternity bathing suit that lasted? Mine fell apart after two months. (I was swimming 5X a week though.)
#26 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM

As far as I am concerned the threadkeeper has god-like (goddess?) powers and can pretty much do whatever she wants to the first post - change colors, add/alter text, switch order, whatever.

Baby stuff - I have no idea what we are going to do. We have very little storage space but DH is a hoarder. He hates hates HATES to throw away/give/sell things that he might need in the future. Even teeny tiny nonimportant things like phone cords (seriously people, we have a friggin' BAG of cords plus a whole other BOX that are full of cords and cables. I have no idea what any of those cords go to but DH refuses to part with any of them and gets VERY upset if I even bring up the idea). So I doubt we are going to part with our baby stuff (which means MORE clutter. Lovely). I don't even know if we are going to have another baby. I mean, maybe. But maybe not. Definitely not until Benjamin is at least 2.

Marie & Liz
#27 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 01:25 PM

So miss A was four weeks on Thursday and since then she seems to have decided that now that she's a grown up she NEVER NEEDS TO SLEEP AGAIN. Ever. And really doesn't need to eat either except for in two minute spurts every hour or so. It's very cute that she's awake suddenly and alert during the day but really not so much at 3 or 5am.

On the plus side she smiled at me yesterday, totally the best day of my life.

Baby stuff, we're keeping ours. My sister is due in June so I'll probably lend her some of it but hopefully we'll be using it again soon (not TOO soon )

Housekeeping, the ONLY good thing about my MIL living with us is I can count on her to keep the floors clean and take the garbage to the garage at least. Otherwise we'd be living in filth, the only thing I've been able to keep up with is the laundry and that's because it's on the second floor and if I don't then I'll be out of diapers.

These are my two fav pics of her 1, 2
#28 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

So cute!!! Isabella has that grey and pink striped outfit, too. One of my favorites.

I like the idea of getting rid of the folks who didn't post in March. That way there's warning. I was thinking of doing that using January, but (and not out of laziness) I think doing it in March makes more sense. I can totally help.

I'm up for alphabetical order too, but will need a slow day at work to tackle that!

Sleep was okay last night...

Bad news on the housing front - looks like we'll be here for a while longer.
#29 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Sarah, I think it's no coincidence that just when yer ready to throw in the towel cuz you can't take any more sleep deprivation, they start smiling or doing something else cute that makes it all worthwhile. Totally nature's design! Still, hope you get some sleep soon!
#30 of 500 Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM

so i think i told you that one of my new years resolutions was to make new mama friends (irl). so last night we had a double date with a couple where i know the woman from bfing support group. it was sort of a disaster in that dh, who can be very task-oriented, wanted to see art in the museum, whereas they wanted to eat at the $ museum restaurant and chat. dh has announced no more new parent meet ups for him.

dd is talking up a storm. i am bummed that she said dada/daddy before mommy/mama. she clearly means him, as she says it when he appears: ":hi dada! dada! dada! dada!" she does however acknowledge the boob, with the name "oomba." sorta like emily's coveted vacuum cleaner.

ok, she is insisting on being liberated from this leapfrog exersaucer i accepted as a hand-me-down and now feel totally guilty about. julia, re perfectionism, i think of it as a gap between what i believed pre-parenting (no containers like exersaucer) and what makes my life easier/saner now that she is here. so my pet thing in particular is against electronic toys that are directive or that introduce academic skills out of context and at developmentally inappropriate ages.

dh is in with this celeb online video of one of obama's speeches put to music. dd is in love with obama. i have to admit that when i was in law school i had a huge crush on him too.

okay, time to pay attention to dd.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page