Amby Transitioning to crib...? no co-sleeping... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2008, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
my son is 5 months old and sleeps exclusively in his amby. We tried co-sleeping, but I never managed to get much sleep that way, so he transitioned to the amby. He was colicky and seems to be calmed by it.
Problem is, he is starting to sit up and they say not to leave his there. He is nowhere close to sitting up, but it makes me nervous just the same.
Question is, how do we transition him? We are setting up his Crib this weekend. Anyone else done this? Ideas? We can't go through much more than we are. My grandmother is dying of cancer, possibly in the next few days. I don't know what else to do, though. We've gotta do it. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 AM

we transitioned from the amby at about 8 months and although i was terrified of it, it was fine. i put him down in the crib (asleep - he nurses to sleep and then i put him down) for one of his naps and he slept a normal amount of time. so i tried the night time. that was fine, too. he did start sleeping much worse shortly after that, but that turned out to be teething. i did get a short pile sheepskin for him, which seems to really help (it's cushiony and also regulates his temperature so he doesn't get too cold or too hot and sweaty). i know all the "rules" say sheepskins are a suffocation risk, but by the time we were transitioning out of the amby, ds was a strong sturdy little thing and it just didn't seem like a realistic concern to me.

sorry i don't have much specific advice, just a happy ending to give you hope! i think i remember seeing a section on transitioning to a crib on the amby website, if you need more ideas.

for the situation with your grandmother. i just lost my father unexpectedly and it has been a real challenge being a mom while dealing with the grief. i was lucky to have a lot of help at first (even some truly wonderful relatives willing to spend the night and rock him to sleep whenever he woke up). i just kept telling myself the only thing that only i can do for ds is bfing. i need to reserve my strength and health to keep that up as much as i can, so i need to accept and even ask for help when anything else seems too hard. bless you.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We had no problem going from the amby to our bed. I just laid her down on her tummy and she slept fine. We did not use a crib. I just block her in with pillows on our bed which is on the floor.
I lost my mom to pancreatic cancer when Maggie was 8 weeks old. It was very hard loosing a love one so my sympathies are with you.

Heidi
Old 02-02-2008, 05:03 PM

I didn't transfer my now 2 yo out of the amby until she was a little over 1. She slept in my room next to my side of the bed so anytime she woke up I heard her, and she only sat up in the amby once, but she is an extremely cautious kid so that could make a difference. When I moved her to the crib it was a little rough the first night or 2 because she wouldn't move. She was use to being more confined, but after I sat her up in the bed instead of laying her down she was fine.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The only reason I stopped using the amby is I have hercules for a baby. She is so big it was hard to put her in it without waking her up.

Heidi
Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM

We're not ready to transition ours yet---I just wanted to post that we too have an AMBY and LOVE IT!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
i remember posting the same question but didn't get much help on this or other forums.

we did it anyway. it was an achievement. firstly, she had a v. firm mattress in her crib. i exchanged that with a slightly softer one. she hated the hard mattress. we started with letting her nap in it during the day.

then one night when she fell asleep i put her in the crib, she woke up right away but i just shushed her (had the white noise on in the background) and placed my hand on her to let for about 5 minutes or so. i also lay a pillow beside her because the crib was just too big for her and the pillow made it cozy. she fell off and from that night she slept in the crib but that certainly didn't mean she slept all night without waking up. she still wakes up every night a few times for her pacifier. she slept in the crib thru the night until we moved. in the new environment she wanted out of the crib in the middle of the night. she cosleeps part of the night now. the pillow is long gone as she could stand up on it.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown

User Tag List