Son needs surgery/No food after midnight?!!? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The urologist has recommended surgery to bring my one year old's other testicle down and we are scheduled in 2 weeks. I'm a wreck. I actually feel the surgery will be fine, but I am very concerned about the no milk or food after midnight. He is day weaned (mostly), but nurses to go down for bed at 830 or 9, at midnight, at 3A and at 6A. So, I nurse at bedtime and midnight and then what? He WON'T understand! Surgery is booked first thing in the morning, but still! YIKES!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-04-2008, 02:10 AM

Here breastmilk is a 4 hour wait prior to surgery. Especially for a 1 year old. Have you tried speaking to urology specifically?
#3 of 4 Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 AM

This is not up-to-date information. Breast milk is digested more quickly than solids, and given normal circumstances, it is safe to nurse 4 hours before anesthetic is given.

I was told the same thing by my ped, a ped. surgeon and various nurses when my 4 month old had to have surgery, and pursued it until I was able to meet with a pediatric anestheologist, who immediately agreed with me. It was extremely frustrating how many peoply in the medical field were totally ignorant about breastfeeding - it was a real eye opener for me.

Kellymom has some great articles that you can print out and take with you to the pre-op. My LLL leader also gave me some info that was helpful...I would contact them as well. I wish I had it at hand for you, but it was all pretty easy stuff to find. One thing that helped was having a list of hospitals that follow the 4 hour rule, and continuing to ask why my hospital followed such different protocol.

Good luck dealing with this...I know how frustrating this is.

#4 of 4 Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input ladies. I nosed around til I got the number to the anesthesiology department who clarified that it is formula that can last be given 6 hours prior, breast milk is INDEED allowed up til 4 hours for patients under 2. Then I have an hour in which to give him apple juice, water, or pedialyte. Definitely feeling better about all of this now! Thanks again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page