Super Baby Food vs. Other? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to pick up a book with some baby food recipes for once Jackson starts solids. I had heard good things about Super Baby Food, but then read that there are some mistakes... like starting peanut butter before 1 year and giving carrots which contain a nitrogen compound (nitrites? nitrates? Dunno). This worries me, and makes me wary of trusting anything in the book as far as when to introduce what foods (although I've heard the recipes are still good).

So does anyone have another baby food book that they recommend? Or other thoughts on Super Baby Food?

Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 10:41 AM

I have a book I got on half.com called, "Feed Me I'm yours". I hope it doesn't have any errors in it b/c the recipies are easy and are easily incorporated into the whole family meals.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#3 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 12:54 PM

I've just been reading Super Baby Food and also have some questions. Like egg yolks 4 times/week to a 7 month old? Or yogurt every day for a 6 month old?

She does have a website where she posts amendments to her book. I think it's www.superbabyfood.com.

I think the info on grains/making your own baby cereal is good though and her info on fruits and veggies. I'm just going to supplement what she says with other info I find out.

She also says to add brewer's yeast to the baby food, then I just read something in the vaccine forum about it so now have to research that.

It also seems that she expects babes of 7-8 months old to be on a regular nursing schedule...you know, nurse in the a.m. when babe wakes up, feed solid food, nurse at lunch, feed solid food, nurse in afternoon, feed solid food for dinner, then nurse before bed. HUH! What about all those other nursings...like all night and every 2 hours during the day!!
#4 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 01:23 PM

I like Cathe Olson's Simply Natural Baby Food. She's the moderator over in the Good Eating forum.
#5 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Wouldn't it be nice if we could trust a book to not have errors? I know its part of our job, but it gets a bit tiring to research EVERYTHING that involves the baby, YK? At this point I'm leaning towards going to the library, photocopying the recipes, then researching my own foods schedule.

Island Mommy, thanks for the website. Maybe between the book and her amendments we can feel more comfortable?

OhMel, thanks for the lead on that book. I *love* that it was written by an MDC mama! (And your Jackson sure is a cutie pie )
#6 of 12 Old 09-03-2003, 03:56 PM

Jackson's mama

I just checked out the Good Eating forum (first time) and did a search on Super Baby Food....came back with lots of threads and posts.

I'm going to keep reading that forum. Sounds like there is alot of good info on feeding babies.
#7 of 12 Old 09-04-2003, 05:52 PM

The Good Eating forum is excellent. I've gotten quite a few yummy recipes off of it and many hints on boosting nutrition.

jackson's mama, thank you for the complement on MY Jackson. He just turned one this past Tuesday. The year has just flown by. I updated the picture to a more recent pic!
#8 of 12 Old 09-04-2003, 08:57 PM

What's wrong with giving them carrots? I never heard it was bad before. Does this include the carrots made by baby food companies like Gerber? :
#9 of 12 Old 09-05-2003, 02:27 AM

I like Mommy Made: Home Cooking for a Healthy Baby & Toddler by Martha and David Kimmel. Easy, easy, easy.
In this book she says too many carrots will turn your baby's skin yellow b/c of the high carotene content. She recommends once or twice a week.
Is this consistent with other information? This is the first I've heard about carrots, too-I thought they were a baby food standard.
#10 of 12 Old 09-05-2003, 02:42 AM

I love Super Baby Food. The author gives many great suggestions. Yes, there are things that I do not like about the book. So I do with it what I do with every book. Take what I can use and leave the rest.
#11 of 12 Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Huh, now I don't know where I heard that about carrots. If it isn't ringing any bells with any other moms, then ignore me . I don't know where I come up with this stuff, I must make it up sometimes.
#12 of 12 Old 09-05-2003, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Liz!

Its nice to know I'm not crazy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page