Too late to sling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-03-2003, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is about 4.5 months old now. And I am a WOHM. I'm interested in trying slinging, but don't know much about it or if it's too late to start or if since I don't see DS all day : it might not be feasible :

So, is it worth trying, and if so, how do I start?

10-Q!
#2 of 9 Old 09-03-2003, 10:14 AM

It's never too late Well, I suppose preschool is too late...

Anyway, my kids really didn't like slinging until they were a little older and could see out, at about 3-4 months. So, no I don't think it is too late.

I used an OTSBH that I bought used from a friend.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#3 of 9 Old 09-03-2003, 10:21 AM

I think it would be a perfect time to start slinging - baby can sit out in the kangaroo position and look at the world secure from mommy's arms! I'm a WOHM too, and DS LOVES to sling when I'm home - we like to go places, and it gives him the opportunity to be close to me while exploring. I my pouches from

www.kangarookorner.com

the cotton is great, the fleece is WONDERFUL for cooler weather! I have trouble with ring slippage on ring slings, since my little guy is 6 months old and almost 20 lbs.
#4 of 9 Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 AM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#5 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 01:33 PM

I had an adjustable sling that was really hard for me to use (I think I must have bought the wrong size, although I didn't know that there were sizes!) so I just didn't use it when my DS was smaller. I used a Bjorn until he was too heavy for that. He's 8 mos and I just bought a new sling that I love so much I could cry. We use it all the time and he loves it! He sits forward facing (cross legged) and will hang out there for really long periods. It is definitely not too late!! Just be sure that you get one that fits you both well.
#6 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 01:47 PM

jmjello: what sling did you get?

I bought a maya wrap before ds was born. Dh loves it and uses it all the time. But I never got the hang of it, so have used the bjorn. I'd like to sling, though, and want to find one that is easier to use. Ds is huge though. He is 3.5 months and 20 pounds. I thought about waiting until he could use an ergo or maybe a hip carrier. thoughts anyone?
#7 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebekah
jmjello: what sling did you get?

I bought a maya wrap before ds was born. Dh loves it and uses it all the time. But I never got the hang of it, so have used the bjorn. I'd like to sling, though, and want to find one that is easier to use. Ds is huge though. He is 3.5 months and 20 pounds. I thought about waiting until he could use an ergo or maybe a hip carrier. thoughts anyone?
Pouches! (I posted the link above )
#8 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 03:12 PM

I started slinging at 4.5 months. I wanted to sling prior to that, but could not figure out how to use my sling. I went to my local La Leche League chapter for sling help.

My first sling was the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder and shortly thereafter I started using the Maya Wrap Baby sling. Maya became my favorite (though it does take some practice and persistence) because it wasn't as bulky as the OTSBH.

The downside to the OTSBH is that it has a flame retardant (chemicals). Read this short thread:PBDE's in the foam part of slings? It's still an big question mark for me. Otherwise, I'd say go for it.

I went on to use my Maya Wrap until my son was 20 months old (I did not use a stroller to carry him up to that point.)

Photos of me slinging, long black hair

I wrote this page. My local LLL sells slings. I'm at the bottom of the page.
Maya Wrap Trouble-shooting Tips.

Rebekah, the reason I love MW is that the fabric over the shoulder can be fanned (as can the fabric on your back) providing maximum, even coverage. Those hip carriers have straps that really dig into your shoulder (or neck) which really hurts.

All slings are different, everyone has their favorite. I don't think you can make a "wrong" choice. It's whatever you love. Some people love the front-type carriers. I hate them. They are too limiting. I found the Maya very versatile.

The MW is completely unpadded. The Rosado Sling is just like the Maya, except it has a padded shoulder, which is a nice bonus.

H&Hmommy, you can always sling when you get home, or on the weekends.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#9 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 07:18 PM

You know, I can't find a name on it. I think it must be a fairly small company as it was in a local shop and she talked about the guy as though they were old friends? Plus it was only $20! She compared it to the New Native and when I just looked online it does look like that. I like it because it folds up very small and I can carry it in my diaperbag/purse. I just didn't like the adjustable one with the "railings" . I think I was just way too short for it.

I was fortunate and able to try it on w/ my baby. (the first one I had to buy online). I think that the thing to remember about the sling is that it is supposed to be close to your body. I think that most of us think of ourselves as larger than what we are, and buy things a little bigger (or is that just me??) This particular sling is recommended to buy one size SMALLER than the size of shirt you would wear. New Native is the same way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page